Creede Silver Sale
120 Members and 11754 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Philosophy Miracle Worker vs Algenist Anti-Aging.....HELP!!

Started 1358543450.507 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1358617183.203 by Shelbelle

Hi

I sure could use help...

I need an anti-againg skin care program. I have looked at a good number of products and I think, maybe, I have found the two that just might be what I am looking up. The two are Philosophy Miracle Worker and the other line is Algenist.

My skin is very sensitive so I have to be careful. In most reviews these two product lines seem to run almost neck to neck. I have never used anything from either line. As far as cost the Algernist is more costly but I am willing to pay the price!

I sure could use your thoughts and suggestions. If you think there are products that may be better I am open for your suggestions. NOW YO MY PROBLEM....

My skin is super dry and dehydrated. I have no redness but my skin feels like it is on fire..it is even hot to the touch. It is dull and somewhat uneven in tone. I am blonde with green eyes. I just turned 66. Part of my problem is being caused because I have a thyroid problem. All my skin is very dry but I just don't know what to use on my face. Can you PLEASE help me!! Seeing all these products today and I am getting so mixed up.

I sure would appreciate you help!! Opps, one last question..do you think The Philosophy Hope in A Jar NGHT CREAM would be too stong for me?

Many Thanks!!

Page 1 of 1
depglass1358543888.65723981 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I have used the Miracle Worker line for maybe three years with good results. The only experience I have with the Algenist is the firming and lifting cream I got in a Beauty Test Tube. All by itself it doesn't seem to do much. Not a really fair test, but I'm sticking with the Miracle Worker. 68, dry skin, also low thyroid. As far as sensitivity goes, I think you really have to try each product unless you know what ingredients bother you. Try discovery kits if they are available.

Shelbelle1358544861.08734578 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I am 60, not a fan of MW. For me it was too heavy and sticky and never penetrated into my skin. I am speaking of the MW cream.

Sheldo1358545632.36193 PostsRegistered 4/17/2012
I HAVE TRIED THEM ALL. TRY DR. DENESE. HER HYDROSHIELD PRODUCTS ARE WONDERFUL AND YOU DO GET RESULTS. MW MEVER DID ANYTHING FOR ME. GOOD LUCK.

Harpa1358546984.7837596 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

Can you use aloe vera gel at all? (Which is a base in many products, anyway.)

If you can, look for a simple, organic aloe vera gel (vitacost sells one for about $10, but I've even used the clear one from Wal-Mart. Don't get any with added color.) A good dollop of that, plus a couple drops of Meadowfoam oil (from Garden of Wisdom - 1 oz @ $5).

From Garden of Wisdom website: "Meadowfoam oil is excellent for dry and dehydrated skin, as it is one of the best oils to help prevent moisture loss in the skin. It conditions and nourishes skin, leaving it healthy and smooth. Used on hair or in hair products it adds shine and nourishment."

Either that oil would be good, or the Camillia oil (from green or white tea)

"Camellia oil has been used for centuries as a natural hair conditioner, and may also be used on the skin for fantastic results. Camellia oil has anti-aging properties that help to fight wrinkles and diminish the appearance of fine lines. This oil is light weight on the skin, making it great for facial application. Camellia Oleifera is slightly more emollient than Camellia Sinensis."

Smooth the aloe and oil into your skin until dissipated. The hydrating effects last all day (or all night.) Greatest moisturizer I've ever found! Sounds like you need to work on your hydration more than anything. And proper hydration is definitely anti-aging!

Sunshine K­ate1358547227.2812130 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky

On the Doctor's show this week, there was a woman doctor who said to use simple products on the face.

Also, ladies don't need to spend a lot of money to get results. She said a lot of the organic oils do wonders and are inexpensive.

Respectfully ~
Kate

1978christ­ian1358567614.53254 PostsRegistered 12/29/2011

Since your skin is sensitive and dry, I would try argan oil or another natural oil. mountainroseherbs.com has good quality natural oils and has a lot of information on the benefits of each oil. http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkoil/bulkoil.html

KateChopin1358570512.1874104 PostsRegistered 1/17/2010

I have used both and liked the Miracle Worker better. I did like the Algenist serum very much, but not the other things that came in the kit. I don't think the firming creme was out yet, but it could have been the moisturizer included.

Lovely21358589546.4832940 PostsRegistered 6/2/2007Texas

I am "older", have a non functioning thyroid for which I take medication and have very dry skin. Having tried it myself and having read this message board for years, I would tell you not to use Philosophy. It did nothing for me years ago.

I use Obagi Professional C 15% for brightness. I use Algenist serum right now, but that could change. I also have the Algenist moisturizer, but haven't used it lately. It's strictly trial and error to come to something that's good for your skin. The only proven thing to help with fine lines in Retin A. I have the generic Tretinoin I use also. But not all the time. Try the Dr. Denese someone suggested. I like her Hydroshield, but haven't used it in a while. Also, I love Josie Maran's argan oil.

Exfoliate! I use Exfolikate by Kate Somerville and finish it off with her Quench. Awesome hydrating experience! I shop on her site when there's a sale.

Don't get caught up with too much stuff. You get confused. Good luck to you.

I don't believe in the concept of h*ll, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals.

Gary Larson

wackers1358604314.396970 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007SW

Miracle Worker moisturizer is a lot more hydrating than the Algenist moisturizers. I like the Algenist serum quite well but returned their moisturizer as I felt it was almost drying to my skin.

I would also suggest Argon Oil or the Maracuja oil by Tarte as they will definitely help with your extreme dryness. I don't know the exact name of the product but there is a serum sold here by Cellceuticals that has excellent reviews for hydrating the skin super well. I intend to pick it up myself (I have always had dry skin) Dr Denese's Hydroshield is also good but you will have to find a good moisturizer to follow it. Her Dream Cream is quite good and she has another that is also good but I can't recall the name of it right now. Have used both and was impressed with both.

gonnab1358605032.6232989 PostsRegistered 8/10/2007Conn.

I have not used Algenist but have tried MW. Can't use it because I got a real burrning sensation - very uncomfortable. In fact, can't use any of the MW line because of the same results - there must be an ingredient that irritates my skin. I might add that I have very sensitive skin. I do use Dr D Hydroshield and JM Argon Oil, both of which give me good results. As least as good as I can get at age 76!. No use aiming for 20-year-old skin - it'll never happen!!!!

age 78, sensitive/combo skin, few fine lines, lack of firmness especially to cheeks, short natural (never colored) grey hair, brown eyes

Shelbelle1358617183.234578 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Paula B just dissed Algenist in her latest report that came out today.

Page 1 of 1