Creede Silver Sale
127 Members and 11479 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Who first taught you about makeup?

Started 1355532526.727 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1355888377.257 by lobstergal

The only makeup my mom ever wore was blue eyeshadow and lipstick....and that was only for special occasions. {#emotions_dlg.crying} My older sister is 11 years older than me so she was already out of the house and wasn't around much (she worked and went to school full time) by the time I was old enough to start wearing makeup. We didn't have computers or internet back then like young girls do now to learn from so I learned from my friends or experimented on my own.

What about you?

When the mindset of the hearer is set by anger or bitterness, everything that is said will be perceived as negative, regardless of intentions of the heart.
Ignorance is NOT an excuse...you can't plead stupid.

Page 1 of 2
CCBeauty1355532917.7872373 PostsRegistered 11/21/2011
My mom fidnt wear makeup either-she did have an EL blockbuster tho ;). My aunt taught me abt mascara and brown eyeshadow. I always went for colors-even back then browns werent my thing. My cousin and I were always shopping the discount stores for makeup, but I guess I learned technique from magazines. Ive recently at (43 yrs old) started watching YT and have learned some new techniques. Its still fun to me.

glmama1355533078.44719740 PostsRegistered 12/8/2006

Hi Lobstergal,

My mom wore Cover Girl lipstick and kept a CG powder compact in her purse. That was it. Oh, and she filed and shaped her nails, but did not paint them. Used Ponds or Oil of Olay on her skin.

That said, it certainly wasn't my mom who taught me about MU. I had a cool, older neighbor (about 2 years older--which seems like nothing now, but is an eternity when your little) who was into MU. She was the first person I knew to use "higher-end" MU, and her mother would buy something from Clinique and my friend would get the GWP or "extras". I still remember seeing those little, light green boxes. I fell in love.

Over 40. Dark hair. Fair, with mild-moderate Rosacea. Finicky skin. Did I mention--Gorgeous? ;)

KatCat11355533416.05717046 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

I know when I was small I would look at my mother's makeup. She had this favorite color lipstick; she used foundation but I don't remember seeing her with mascara but I probably never noticed. Sometimes eye shadow too. I guess by seeing her makeup and makeup on older girls I was intrigued. I was finally allowed to wear it in 8th grade. At first I loved it all except I never wore foundation until I was 58 or 59. After I got over the fact that I could wear it, I just wore mascara and lipstick in H.S. and sometimes eye liner. Later I graduated to Taupe eye shadow.

nytengale11355533561.771219 PostsRegistered 8/22/2009PA

My grandmom. As a kid, I loved watching her put on makeup. When I was 12, she took me to the Clinique counter and bought me my first makeup.

nytengale1

JeanLouise­Finch1355533730.15310874 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

My mom didn't go too far with her makeup. I remember her little compact or red rouge and her mascara that came in something that resembled a matchbox and would get applied with a short little brush.

My sisters are several years older than me, too. I don't remember them getting too involved with their makeup, but they did wear some.

I guess, at the beginning, I'd see commericials or girls on American Banstand and get some ideas. My mom & dad never told me when I could start wearing makeup, I just sort of chanced it and waited to see if I'd get yelled at or not. There were a couple of times they said I had on too much eyeshadow. I didn't really start with eyeliner until later in high school. I've always liked skincare and makeup more than my sisters and even more than most women I know, but in varying degrees during my lifetime. When I was in my early 20's, I had an aunt that was a MaryKay rep. She liked how I did my makeup and used me as a model when she did a presentation.

Abby Grace1355534151.3531220 PostsRegistered 6/12/2011

I would have been beaten for wearing makeup when I was young......everything I know about makeup I learned from my daughter.

lobstergal1355534176.3933786 PostsRegistered 12/3/2010

My grandma worked at a department store (now Macy's) and she always got to bring home all kinds of perfume and makeup samples (which were very generous back then!) from the cosmetics counters and I started loving it all at a very young age.

ETA - gram didn't wear makeup either but at least she brought it home and let me play and experiment with it all. She did wear nail polish though and we always did each others nails!

Last edited on 12/14/2012

When the mindset of the hearer is set by anger or bitterness, everything that is said will be perceived as negative, regardless of intentions of the heart.

Oneanddone1355534357.816434 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

My Mom did!

She was a cosmetician at Marshall Field's in Chicago.

She was a beautiful woman and knew everything about makeup.

I loved her red nail polish and when I was a very tiny girl...three years old, I would beg her to paint my fingers and toes red.

She always did!!

I think I was the only little three year old walking around with tiny fingers and toes painted with red nail polish!

To this day, red nail polish is my favorite, and red has always been my favorite color in everything!

Thanks to my Mom, I got interested in makeup at an early age and became a makeup artist.

It's all about how to use it, how much to use, the right colors for you and blending.

If you can get all of that right, you'll look great!! Smile

Sakuya1355534673.0231860 PostsRegistered 2/15/2011

Oneanddone - That is such a sweet story. Smile

No one taught me about make-up. I taught myself by trial and error.

viva9231355534741.4376837 PostsRegistered 4/5/2008Delaware

I learned about make up from magazines. I remember ordering some make up when I was a freshman in high school for a $1.00 and every 60 days I would receive more make up for $10.00 a month. My mom sent back all my make up and told me I was to young for make up. I never wore any make up till I was out of nursing school.

Oneanddone1355535032.0736434 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 12/14/2012 Sakuya said:

Oneanddone - That is such a sweet story. Smile

No one taught me about make-up. I taught myself by trial and error.

Thanks Sakuya!!

I know about trial and error too!! Smile

waterdragon1355535260.882653 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006Sandy Eggo

My girlfriends, they also taught me how to shave my legs as my mother never did. This was in Jr High/High school.

Shiny medium brown hair, reaching towards my shoulders.

Nicecupoft­ea1355535456.972400 PostsRegistered 12/28/2008

I learned from my friends and magazines. I was never very good with makeup and it was not a problem when I was young. Now that I need makeup I am still not very good with it.

luvitall1355536689.8932341 PostsRegistered 10/27/2006

My mom! Her ritual was putting on makeup at the kitchen table with her makeup mirror and all her goodies. My sister and I took at seat with her everyday and watched her. She loved makeup the same way I do and my sister. She even wore false eyelashes and she looked great......one of my favorite memories of my mom! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

sd71355537556.1831093 PostsRegistered 10/26/2007MY MI

Abby Grace - We must have been seperated at birth. Very intollerant and hands off female parenting.

So, I learned along with my best friend who had 4 older sisters and one younger. Kinda like the blind leading the blind. We eventually got it because we both got boyfriends in our high school freshman years so, I guess we did OK. BTW, she still my beat friend of 60 years now.

lobstergal1355537750.763786 PostsRegistered 12/3/2010
On 12/14/2012 luvitall said:

My mom! Her ritual was putting on makeup at the kitchen table with her makeup mirror and all her goodies. My sister and I took at seat with her everyday and watched her. She loved makeup the same way I do and my sister. She even wore false eyelashes and she looked great......one of my favorite memories of my mom! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

My best friend's mom did the same thing and I watched her in awe everytime I was at her house. She spent hours everyday doing her hair and makeup even with 6 kids running around plus their friends. It was quite the production. I could never understand why she was just starting the whole routine in the late afternoon even if she wasn't going out anywhere....now in retrospect, that's probably how she ended up with all those kids! {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Cosmetics_­Crazy1355539314.0871094 PostsRegistered 5/21/2011

I babysat for a neighbor woman who worked as a hostess/waitress in a nicer cocktail lounge. So I would go over and tend to her son who was 10 months or so as she was getting ready. I would sit on the toilet seat and just be enamored as she curled her lashes and applied mascara. Then she would let me apply a little eye shadow before she put things up, but I had to scrub it off before going home.

My Mom realized I was hooked when I took a nice chunk of my money I had earned and went and bought makeup at the local 'dime store', complete with that thick gooey gloss with the rollerball applicator. I think this was the summer right before I went in the 7th grade. My Mom never wore makeup, or polish.

Before I went to high school, she took me to the Clinique counter but I was FAR more facinated with Ultima II. But she never let me wear black mascara, brown was it!

Big Time1355539977.6313 PostsRegistered 11/17/2007

I didn't wear make-up until senior year of college. As a treat, my Mom took me to Merle Norman (not sure I spelled it right) at our local mall when I came home for Christmas. The saleswoman taught me how to apply makeup and then my Mom bought me the basics. It was a wonderful day that I still remember.

I didn't really have a big love for makeup intil my mid-30's. I am now 50 and find it quite fun, but I don't think I'm very good at it.

Sister Gol­den Hair1355540069.90314537 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008

My Mother taught me about make-up. She wore bright red lipstick, Coty powder, a small compact of red rouge (blush) and a eyebrow pencil (she would lick it to get it wet before putting it on...Ewwww).

It is beyond me but she let me wear blue eyeshadow and white lipstick when I was in 8th grade.

My Mother and Father were the best....I miss them.

Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

4doggies1355542836.813501 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I remember my mom using the cake mascara in the red box that you put a drop of water in!

When I was about 14 my aunt had an allergic reaction to something and her derm suggested getting rid of all her m/u and starting over. She gave me a huge bag of makeup, I had the best time experimenting with it. I started wearing m/u in the mid-60's and I really don't remember how I learned--I imagine it was trying to copy what I saw in magazines or on friends. I don't think 'technique' was big in the 60's, as long as you had white liner, fake black lashes and nearly white lipstick you were good to go!

waterdragon1355543140.3532653 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006Sandy Eggo
On 12/14/2012 4doggies said:

I remember my mom using the cake mascara in the red box that you put a drop of water in!

When I was about 14 my aunt had an allergic reaction to something and her derm suggested getting rid of all her m/u and starting over. She gave me a huge bag of makeup, I had the best time experimenting with it. I started wearing m/u in the mid-60's and I really don't remember how I learned--I imagine it was trying to copy what I saw in magazines or on friends. I don't think 'technique' was big in the 60's, as long as you had white liner, fake black lashes and nearly white lipstick you were good to go!

my GF and I did the twiggy eyes, so wish I had a pic of us.

Shiny medium brown hair, reaching towards my shoulders.

lobstergal1355543382.853786 PostsRegistered 12/3/2010
On 12/14/2012 KatCat1 said:

I know when I was small I would look at my mother's makeup. She had this favorite color lipstick; she used foundation but I don't remember seeing her with mascara but I probably never noticed. Sometimes eye shadow too. I guess by seeing her makeup and makeup on older girls I was intrigued. I was finally allowed to wear it in 8th grade. At first I loved it all except I never wore foundation until I was 58 or 59. After I got over the fact that I could wear it, I just wore mascara and lipstick in H.S. and sometimes eye liner. Later I graduated to Taupe eye shadow.

I remember my mom's favorite lipstick, it was that mood color changing one. She probably still has it buried in her dresser drawer LOL!

HotShopper1355554973.16139 PostsRegistered 3/19/2007Phoenix, Arizona

My Mom taught me--when I was 14 and wanted to wear makeup, she said I could if she couldn't see it! Well, I got very good at subtle, naturally looking makeup application. I think Mom did me a great favor. (Miss you, Mama, and thanks for all you taught me.)

Pianomama1355555151.7572850 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007southern California

When I was about 16 (44 years ago) my parents sent me to "charm school". It was a modeling school too, but that was not the purpose of my going. It was to help me with makeup, poise, fashion and things like that. We would travel about 40 miles every Saturday to go to that school. That's how I learned to apply my makeup. We even did false eyelashes! I don't think I got that much out of that school, but the makeup part was good and I learned that well. My mom wore makeup too but only a little-powder and lipstick.

Page Turner1355569656.257927 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007"More hay, Trigger?" "No thanks, Roy, I'm stuffed!"
My mom only wore lipstick and powder - and only if she was going out somewhere. Any other makeup and any nail polish (other than clear and only if you were going somewhere "special") was for the kind of woman that you didn't want to be. My mom always said that only "those kind of women" wore makeup and nail polish. I had no understanding of what "those kind of women" were, and I so wanted to wear makeup. My mom, no matter how many times I asked, would never tell me what "those kind of women" were so I was left to guess on my own. Having no understanding of what my mom meant, I guessed that "those kind of women" were very worldly and very glamorous movie stars and very wealthy women. Naturally I wanted to wear makeup to look like "those kind of women." But of course, being forbidden to wear makeup, I had to sneak it. So I would get to school and paint on green or blue eyeshadow clear up to my eyebrows and I was sure I looked stunningly beautiful. I couldn't imagine why my mom wouldn't want to look that gorgeous. All I can say is that I'm glad no one took a picture of me during those years, I'm sure I'd be sorry to see that now! LOL!

Page 1 of 2