Back-in-Stock Fashions
21 Members and 12861 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Who first taught you about makeup?

Started 1355532526.727 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1355888377.257 by lobstergal

The only makeup my mom ever wore was blue eyeshadow and lipstick....and that was only for special occasions. {#emotions_dlg.crying} My older sister is 11 years older than me so she was already out of the house and wasn't around much (she worked and went to school full time) by the time I was old enough to start wearing makeup. We didn't have computers or internet back then like young girls do now to learn from so I learned from my friends or experimented on my own.

What about you?

When the mindset of the hearer is set by anger or bitterness, everything that is said will be perceived as negative, regardless of intentions of the heart.
Ignorance is NOT an excuse...you can't plead stupid.

Page 2 of 2
Smurfette1355581553.9972232 PostsRegistered 5/27/2007Under the Moonlight

I taught myself by reading magazines. Although my mother wore some (minimal) makeup, she was not the type of parent to teach me anything...{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Harpa1355588081.7977686 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

I was a hungry little kid for learning things, but no one ever taught me! (Except my Mom did teach me typing!)

As far as makeup, I read, watched, experimented; and I was/am a keen observer, so I was able to reproduce the effects that I liked.

doggy-lover1355588897.1471130 PostsRegistered 11/4/2011Texas

I'm so sorry to the ladies who would have gotten "beaten" had they tried makeup. That's so sad.....I first "tried" makeup in the 7th grade with my girlfriends in the bathroom at school. We tried this greenish eye shadow. When my mom found out I tried it, she was happy about it and bought me a few items. I never really got into the full face (foundation, etc..) until the 10th grade and on....As far as "learning", that was with experimentation and with magazines, etc....My mom has beautiful skin and never had to wear foundation...she just used a compact powder....so that is my story...

49 yrs old
brunette- thick hair
combo skin
medium skin color

tototwo1355589075.322602 PostsRegistered 2/8/2008Great Plains

Myself and girlfriends mostly. We were all ga-ga over Twiggy and Jean Shrimpton back then and would try to copy their makeup from magazine pictures. My mom bought her makeup and skin care at high-end dept stores -- my girlfriends and I loved to linger over the bins of makeup at Woolworths. Cutex lipstick was a quarter; Maybelline mascara in the red compact with the little brush was 50-cents. And then, when Cover Girl introduced "Blush-on" powdered blush -- Wow! we bought it in all colors!

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

lobstergal1355590052.063786 PostsRegistered 12/3/2010

Thanks for sharing your stories ladies, I've enjoyed reading every one of them and the more I read, the more of my own memories are coming back from so long ago. Smile

Please add yours if you haven't already done so, we'd love to hear it!

When the mindset of the hearer is set by anger or bitterness, everything that is said will be perceived as negative, regardless of intentions of the heart.

PUMPKIN1355590155.287553 PostsRegistered 4/14/2006Indiana
Oh this brings back so many memories for me. I was surrounded by many Diva's with tons of makeup. My Mother, my Aunt and girlfriends mothers. My friends and I would spend time looking through and putting on their makeup. Went to a Catholic grade school and had to wash makeup off many times. We loved blue mascara. Anybody remember that? At 55 years old I still love makeup and always will. Brings back great memories. I no longer wear blue mascara!

smhr1355590397.7833822 PostsRegistered 1/16/2012laid back and mellow town USA

I'm self taught and know what works for me. I know what to stay away from. Overly made eyes, heavy foundation, sticky/gloppy lip gloss, the heavy handed blush look and sticky hair spray. I enjoy watching many of the youtube skincare/makeup video's, but don't rely on them for actually techniques. More of a rainy day, nothing to do activity. Housework can get boring.

wilma1355597478.32313144 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007

Self taught beginning at age 16 - Dad didn't let me wear it before then. I am 50 now.

Since then I have picked up tips and tricks from beauty magazines, makeover shows, and online. My friends and I didn't wear much makeup as teens, so we didn't experiment on each other.

I also learn what not to do by looking at other women sometimes. Sorry to say that, but some women wear such heavy eye makeup or foundation that I know I don't want to look that way. I also saw a woman on the street once with blush applied in big red circles like a clown face.

FUTURE1355597839.28711785 PostsRegistered 5/18/2008
My mother. She won't go out to the mailbox without her MU on. And they live in the country! Lol! She always looks absolutely beautiful, and I was begging her to let me wear lipstick at 2 years old! We still share a love of all things beauty, and now I love gifting her with all kinds of MU and skin care items.

ChouChou1355599430.61291 PostsRegistered 4/21/2008

My mom was a makeup stand in for Max Factor studios during the 30s, 40s and early 50s. Factor made custom makeup for actresses and they would have to test the makeup and the lighting. My mom was a makeup stand in for Gene Tierney, Joan Crawford and Olivia de Havilland. My aunt was a stand in for Ann Sheridan and Betty Grable. Mom would go in and they would try all kinds of stuff on her and then sit her under various kinds of lights and take measurements and pictures. She was always coming home with makeup. She had tons of makeup but wore very little of it when she was at home. She wasn't a makeup junkie. I remember that she would leave for work with no makeup and come home looking like a movie star. I was enthralled with her makeup. She always let me play dress up with her makeup. I still have some of the cases that her MF makeup came in. They are works of art.

I went to Catholic grade school, high school and college. We were strictly forbidden to wear makeup to school. However, on the bus going home all of us were putting it on with spackle knives! When I got into college I could wear makeup and, boy oh boy, did I wear makeup. I remember being hooked on Charles of the Ritz makeup. It was a high end makeup and they had beautiful colors that no one else had.

I am still a makeup junkie and as addicted as I was in those days of yore!

vw vixen1355600935.1433477 PostsRegistered 9/4/2008Arizona
My mom was a career woman and took great pride in her appearance. She was a manager at a high end department store and always dressed to the nines with beautiful clothes, heels and stockings. She kept her make up in a basket in one of our kitchen cupboards near the kitchen table, and I have vivid memories of sitting and watching her apply her "face" as she called it, and being completely enthralled with the whole process. She said the natural light coming through the window over the table was the best place to apply her makeup. She'd set up her stand mirror and bring out the magical basket, I loved watching the transformation! She had a weekly appointment to get her hair done as well. I remember being so proud when to parent/teacher conferences because my mom was the prettiest and most professional looking mom in the whole place. That being said, I put on my makeup in the bathroom alone, it's a private and personal thing for me. I have never had the sort of career my mom had that required getting decked out every day.

~Janet~

Hitchens' Razor ~ "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

Grade1Teach1355617524.45710271 PostsRegistered 12/2/2007Long Island

I don't think anyone ever actually sat down with me to teach me about makeup. I'm pretty sure I learned by watching my mom and then reading tips in my teen beauty magazines. As time went on, I guess I learned from QVC when they actually did LIVE demos of makeup applications from start to finish. YouTube has also given me some great ideas, tips, and tricks as I got older.

Merrylass1355618561.3473082 PostsRegistered 1/1/2007

What great stories! My mother taught me about skin care when I was 8 years old and I went with her to the beauty salon weekly -- while Mom had her hair done, I had cucumbers on my eyes and my nails were buffed. I felt so grown up! I wasn't allowed to wear makeup until I was 16 and I still remember going to Bloomies with my mother and getting my first makeup application at the Calvin Klein cosmetics counter. I felt so chic and grown up when we left with my own little selection of products{#emotions_dlg.wub}

FastDogWal­ker21355618715.2571598 PostsRegistered 1/18/2007

My mom. I loved playing with her makeup.

maestra1355618785.2978576 PostsRegistered 3/13/2008

My mother who wore high end and still does at age 90 and my grandmother who was one of Elizabeth Arden's original makeup artists from the 30's. She worked well until her 70's and had magnificent skin.

Shopping_Q­ween1355619663.893203 PostsRegistered 12/24/2005Long Island, NY
On 12/15/2012 Smurfette said:

I taught myself by reading magazines. Although my mother wore some (minimal) makeup, she was not the type of parent to teach me anything...{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Ditto for me. My mother only wore lipstick, then added Cover Girl foundation when she went back to work in her 50's. She was never very patient or motivating at home, and either "didn't have time" (with my much younger siblings), or "wasn't in the mood" to show or teach me about makeup, hair, even cooking, so I was left to learn on my own by reading the teen magazines and experimenting with my school friends.

Ladies, find a man who ruins your lipstick, not your mascara.

beach-mom1355619914.7779744 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Mid-Atlantic

My mom - she loved it and always looked terrific! Smile

BigBro61355620108.1432769 PostsRegistered 11/15/2007Lafayette New Jersey

No sisters and mom only wore lipstick. I taught myself. Later, I showed my mom later to put on mascara and blush.

Oh yea, later showed her foundation and eye concealer.

Last edited on 12/15/2012

Last edited on 12/15/2012

Divine1355620917.8033587 PostsRegistered 11/20/2008

I couldn't go wrong because mom was an Avon Rep. My big sister also helped me.

KayinMN1355878820.19673 PostsRegistered 7/17/2010Minnesota

Seventeen Magazine when I was 13 I guess...

rockydog11355881061.24617 PostsRegistered 8/17/2012

My sister bought me false eyelashes and lipgloss when if was 12 and she was 21

FallowedGr­ound1355887144.697815 PostsRegistered 12/19/2010

A Mary Kay party in middle school. I told my mom ( who's still into her appearance even moe than I am, and I'm bad enough), and then she had a MK party at home. I loved the old product. I can still remember how it smells. My mom was always having the AVON lady over, Merle Norman, etc. I loved studying eye make-up in magazines, too. I even loved "doing" the kids make-up on Halloween!

BTW--does anyone here know first hand about MK skin care nowadays? I've wondered about their anti-aging products.

lobstergal1355888377.2573786 PostsRegistered 12/3/2010
On 12/18/2012 El Paso QShopper said:

A Mary Kay party in middle school. I told my mom ( who's still into her appearance even moe than I am, and I'm bad enough), and then she had a MK party at home. I loved the old product. I can still remember how it smells. My mom was always having the AVON lady over, Merle Norman, etc. I loved studying eye make-up in magazines, too. I even loved "doing" the kids make-up on Halloween!

BTW--does anyone here know first hand about MK skin care nowadays? I've wondered about their anti-aging products.

I don't use MK so I don't know first hand but my niece sells it so if there's something specific you want to know about I can ask her for you.

Page 2 of 2