Guaranteed Delivery
14 Members and 16657 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Best for sensitive skin and rosacea

Started 1355453088.63 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1355585234.637 by smhr

Help - I am overloaded with options and don't know where to start. I am using Philosophy cleanser, exfoliator, hope is not enough and moisturizer, but I think I need to step it up because me skin is irritated and red. Does anyone have what has worked for them?

Page 1 of 1
Here to sh­op1355453324.113168 PostsRegistered 2/6/2011
I also have rosacea and very sensitive skin. I have used the clientele line, sold here at QVC online, for many years. It actually improved my skin. I've also been using tarte's maracuja oil at night and that really tones down my redness.

KatCat11355453449.29717492 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

Jen, I would give Burt's Bees Sensitive skincare line a try. No irritants and Burt's does make a very decent product. I use the Intense Hydration with Clary Sage but in your case, I would stick with the sensitive line and it's reasonably priced.

susanks11355453475.271271 PostsRegistered 12/1/2007

I have sensitive skin and can use Burts Bees Sensitive cleanser, eye cream and moisturizers with no problems.

Farmers da­ughter1355454380.051415 PostsRegistered 8/28/2008

You might try putting sensitive skin and rosacea in the above Search Bar for some previous threads. It sounds like the Phil is not addressing your issues. You are prob aware Clinique has a line that may help. The above suggestions are good. If you have recently started using Phil, is there a way these can be returned?...since they do not seem to be helping.

quesolvr1355454743.883232 PostsRegistered 9/9/2011

First aid beauty ultra repair cream. Very few ingredients, actually created for super sensitive skin with excema and rosacea, it is intended to use on super sensitive skin with skin conditions. High end found at sephora, but inexpensive. Cannot recommend it highly enough. I loved burts bees moisturizers until I tried it. Dermalogica makes a cream cleanser for sensitive skin, love it, a lot more burts bees cleanser which I did not like. I use purity at night and the dermalogica in the morning. I do still like the burts bees eye cream, I alternate it with keihls creamy avocado. I would go to get a facial somewhere good, hard to find, when you call ask if they do the skin in zones and use different products in different areas of the face, if answer is no do not go there. They should be able to recommend an exfoliant apprpriate for your skin. I do not want to recommend one as I do not really use one anymore, I use a washcloth.

Last edited on 12/13/2012

Last edited on 12/13/2012

sillybugs1355455579.043765 PostsRegistered 8/8/2009

I know this answer will not be popular but you may see improvement just upon stopping the use of Philosophy products. I suggest a cleanser called Toleriane Dermo-Cleanser by LaRoche-Posay. Also the use of a basic moisturizer/oil, perhaps an oil such as jojoba or emu, patch test first. Another good, but unfortunately discontinued moisturizer is from Mary Kay, called Balancing Moisturizer. HTH

Skin: Combo/mild seborrheic dermatitis around sides of nose/forehead, sensitive/reactive, fine lines just starting around eyes.
Hair: Salt & pepper, normal, mild seborrheic dermatitis on scalp, shoulder length bob.

quesolvr1355455814.973232 PostsRegistered 9/9/2011
On 12/13/2012 sillybugs said:

I know this answer will not be popular but you may see improvement just upon stopping the use of Philosophy products. I suggest a cleanser called Toleriane Dermo-Cleanser by LaRoche-Posay. Also the use of a basic moisturizer/oil, perhaps an oil such as jojoba or emu, patch test first. Another good, but unfortunately discontinued moisturizer is from Mary Kay, called Balancing Moisturizer. HTH

I agree. At least tstop the exfoliant. The cleanser is pretty gentle. The rest, while it may be fine for sensitive skin, is not made for skin conditions. There is a difference.

makeup add­ict1355456415.7578313 PostsRegistered 12/27/2006
Ditto with the two posters above. I have sensitive skin and Rosecea and Phil products made my skin worse, instead of stepping it up, step it down and keep it simple. I use Clinique's Redness Solutions cleanser and The Body Shops Aloe moisturizer. Keep it simple and gentle has improved my skin so much that it looks and acts like normal skin.

helping11355459265.5471436 PostsRegistered 7/18/2010

A good, basic water-soluble cleanser is by cetaphil, the "gentle skin" formula. I have ultra-sensitive skin, and it never irritates it :) The cleanser is creamy so that it doesn't foam until after rinsing from the face. A lot of dermatologists recommend it to their patients, too. Perhaps you can ask your dr for some rec's as well. Please be aware that the 'purity' may have some ingredients that can irritate those with sensitive skin or rosacea, including fragrant oils and/or herbs such as sandalwood, cinnamon and pepper.

Over 40. Combo/sensitive skin. Tendency to get eczema.

helping11355530823.7431436 PostsRegistered 7/18/2010

I wanted to second the notion to *not* use a face scrub if one has rosacea. It's also *not* usually recommended to use an AHA (alpha hydroxy - just fyi that glycolic and lactic acid have the most research) product as it may irritate and aggravate the rosacea. Perhaps a dermatologist can prescribe a cream or gel for the rosacea and recommend on how to possibly exfoliate with less irritation. Some with rosacea purportedly do okay with a BHA (beta hydroxy - salicylic acid), but it may aggravate others' complexions.

shelinmi1355532998.363399 PostsRegistered 6/16/2006Lovely West Michigan

You might check out Clinique's newer redness solution lines. I am in love with their daily relief cream. They have cleansers and more within that collection too.

michlynn1355535469.723109 PostsRegistered 8/22/2012
I have super sensitive skin and the only products I can use are the Principal Secret skin care line from Victoria Principal. Some of her products are available on QVC but I go thru her website-more products available there (and better prices). The best is her 4 in 1 Gentle Cleanser and the Emergency Rescue Serum Gel. I used the Principal Secret Advanced line, not the Reclaim. I'm actually too sensitive for the it.

helping11355544699.9671436 PostsRegistered 7/18/2010

Those with rosacea are also supposed to avoid other potential skin irritants such as menthol, eucalyptus, mint, clove, sage, citrus oils/extracts, fragrance, witch hazel, rose, lavender and rosemary. Also, isopropyl ("rubbing") alcohol can be very irritating to the skin (actually for any skin) and other alcohols to avoid in skin care include "alcohol denat", "sd alcohol", "methanol" and "ethyl alcohol".

Farmers da­ughter1355547264.8571415 PostsRegistered 8/28/2008

shelinmi, Could you please share more about the Clinique Daily Relief Cream? How long have you been using it? Did you ever use the trio set? Became interested in the Redness Solution Make Up Broad Spectrum w/ SPF 15 also...

cassiem1355581736.8976854 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Unfortunately, with rosacea and sensitive skin, there is no BEST. Everyone is so different and what works for one person may be a disaster for another. It really depends on what ingredients set your skin off, which can vary by individual even when they have the same type of skin.

I know that my skin does not like Philosophy products in any way, shape, or form. Purity really upsets my skin. For me it's the botanicals, which include black pepper extract.

I've had good luck with LaRoche Posay Toleriane products. The Burt's Bees and Clinique products mentioned all irritate my skin. However, they might work for you. The way to know what will work for you is trial and error. It's best if you can introduce new products one at a time several weeks apart in order to be able to pinpoint if something upsets your skin. I've found for me, simpler is better. Fewer ingredients, fewer products.

If you can, try looking at ingredient lists for products that you can use and products you can't to see if you notice any patterns to what might set your skin off. For me, problematic ingredients include botanicals, vitamin c, sulfates, silicones, fragrance, peptides, chemical sunscreens, and acids. I can sometimes use products containing those ingredients if they are near the bottom of the ingredient list.

smhr1355585234.6373822 PostsRegistered 1/16/2012laid back and mellow town USA

Contact Skinstore and get their expert advice. It's a toll free number.

Page 1 of 1