Guaranteed Delivery
122 Members and 18152 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Can hair be dyed gray?

Started 1355283446.84 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1355672892.41 by ittyreen

I am soooooo tired of coloring my hair and I do it because I look awful when the white shows and don't want to look bad during a grow out period.

I never had gray, it went straight to pure white. If I can get natural looking white hair I'm doing it.

Anyone have any info?

Page 2 of 2
suzyQ31355595240.58325565 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 12/15/2012 morning lover said:
On 12/15/2012 violann said: YOUR hair color doesn't makeYOU look older. MY gray hair makes me look old enough to be my husband's mother, and that has happened, in fact often. One charmer commented that DH was lucky to have a mother as spry as I. Since I have been doing my hair as I am now, this has NEVER happened, not once. When I was 16, I was taken for my 9 year old cousin's mother. I HAVE ALWAYS LOOKED OLDER THAN I AM. What possesses you to argue about something about which you have no knowledge at all? I am 68 and look AT LEAST 75, but could easily pass for 78 or 80. That is the truth!

So you just look older - that has nothing to do with your hair!

Oh, for goodness' sake.

If one chooses to let her hair turn gray, that's fine. But let's not kid ourselves that gray hair is not aging. Gray hair is what happens when we age, so we do associate it with getting older. That's not a value judgment; it's just a fact.

So I think hair color can make one look older. Take two people the same age with similar aging characteristics and similar hairstyle. Give one gray hair and the other expert coloring that achieves a natural hair color (for example, a light brown color with depth and subtle shading). The second person will very likely look more youthful.

Again, I totally understand wanting to go with the natural aging process when it comes to hair. It's just not a personal decision I'm ready to make at this time, so I gladly remain a slave to the process.

I know the use of torture compromises that which most distinguishes us from our enemies…we are always Americans, and different, stronger, and better than those who would destroy us…Our enemies act without conscience. We must not -- John McCain 10/9/2014

pinkie201355598197.023248 PostsRegistered 11/14/2010

check out the ion colors at sally beauty. i rcently found the semi permanent version and it has changed my life. i was gray for number of years since loving care was no longer working for me and then they discontinued it altogether. i won't use permanent color because i'm not handy enough to do just the roots every 4 weeks. ion semi permanent is like a rinse and can be done overall the head when roots are showing, just like loving care. check the reviews, i believe there is one who said she uses the permanent color a couple times a year and uses the semi in between. it is very gentle and conditioning and gives the hair body. you might find this system easier to use and won't have to go gray. there is a young lady on you tube that colored her hair gray and goes thru quite a process. it's a lot of work for her, but she looks good. my gray hair looked pretty sometimes but then it started looking so old and faded, i think it needed some kind of enhancement but i don't know what that would be. the roux rinses didn't work for me. the top of my head was just glaring white under lights, didn't look soft and pretty like some. i use ion semi in lt warm brown, turned out the same as when i was in my 20's. a much softer look.

happy hous­ewife1355617214.24333103 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
On 12/15/2012 suzyQ3 said:
On 12/15/2012 violann said: YOUR hair color doesn't makeYOU look older. MY gray hair makes me look old enough to be my husband's mother, and that has happened, in fact often. One charmer commented that DH was lucky to have a mother as spry as I. Since I have been doing my hair as I am now, this has NEVER happened, not once. When I was 16, I was taken for my 9 year old cousin's mother. I HAVE ALWAYS LOOKED OLDER THAN I AM. What possesses you to argue about something about which you have no knowledge at all? I am 68 and look AT LEAST 75, but could easily pass for 78 or 80. That is the truth!

Oh, for goodness' sake.

If one chooses to let her hair turn gray, that's fine. But let's not kid ourselves that gray hair is not aging. Gray hair is what happens when we age, so we do associate it with getting older. That's not a value judgment; it's just a fact.

So I think hair color can make one look older. Take two people the same age with similar aging characteristics and similar hairstyle. Give one gray hair and the other expert coloring that achieves a natural hair color (for example, a light brown color with depth and subtle shading). The second person will very likely look more youthful.

Again, I totally understand wanting to go with the natural aging process when it comes to hair. It's just not a personal decision I'm ready to make at this time, so I gladly remain a slave to the process.

Oh for heaven's sake I don't care if you dye your hair purple til you die! Whatever!!!!!

BTW - I read what you said to my DH and his answer was - What difference does it make what color the hair is if the face is all wrinkled or the body has aged ? Does that woman who wrote that think that because she dyes her hair that the rest of her isn't aging? She is a fool. A man finds a woman attractive who is agoing gracefully not a silly old woman trying to look younger than she is. Yep, I married the right guy

Last edited on 12/15/2012

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

suzyQ31355621031.30725565 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

Oh, for goodness' sake.

Oh for heaven's sake I don't care if you dye your hair purple til you die! Whatever!!!!!

BTW - I read what you said to my DH and his answer was - What difference does it make what color the hair is if the face is all wrinkled or the body has aged ? Does that woman who wrote that think that because she dyes her hair that the rest of her isn't aging? She is a fool. A man finds a woman attractive who is agoing gracefully not a silly old woman trying to look younger than she is. Yep, I married the right guy.

BTW - my DH said that

Then perhaps you omitted parts of my post as you read it to him, obviously this part:

"So I think hair color can make one look older. Take two people the same age with similar aging characteristics and similar hairstyle."

I know the use of torture compromises that which most distinguishes us from our enemies…we are always Americans, and different, stronger, and better than those who would destroy us…Our enemies act without conscience. We must not -- John McCain 10/9/2014

Violet Eyes1355622131.1833438 PostsRegistered 11/9/2012
I watched "The Thorn Birds" last night and when they wanted to age Meggie, they put streaks of gray in her hair. Gray hair is an instant way to express aging...even in Hollywood. When I see a child with gray hair, then I will be convinced it's youthful. Until then, I will always see gray hair as aging...adding years to a person's appearance...

jaguar241355623213.997226 PostsRegistered 12/3/2012

I have had natural white hair since I was 34 and it does absolutely not make you look any older. That is the excuse many use to convince themselves that spending all that money dying their hair is the right thing to do. If a person is so shallow that, instead of looking at my face , all they do is glance at my hair, I guess then I would seem older. Who cares about a person like that? it is very freeing to not have to dye your hair or worry about roots looking bad. I don't know any woman who dyes her hair who doesn't at some point or another have roots showing and looking bad.

Wrong on both accounts, as usual.

jaguar241355623523.947226 PostsRegistered 12/3/2012

Oh, for goodness' sake.

BTW - I read what you said to my DH and his answer was - What difference does it make what color the hair is if the face is all wrinkled or the body has aged ? Does that woman who wrote that think that because she dyes her hair that the rest of her isn't aging? She is a fool. A man finds a woman attractive who is agoing gracefully not a silly old woman trying to look younger than she is. Yep, I married the right guy

Yes, you did. The one who agrees that gray hair isn't aging (LOL) along with with your narrow-minded views.

doggy-lover1355623615.4731130 PostsRegistered 11/4/2011Texas

Oh, for goodness' sake.

BTW - I read what you said to my DH and his answer was - What difference does it make what color the hair is if the face is all wrinkled or the body has aged ? Does that woman who wrote that think that because she dyes her hair that the rest of her isn't aging? She is a fool. A man finds a woman attractive who is agoing gracefully not a silly old woman trying to look younger than she is. Yep, I married the right guy.

BTW - my DH said that

Then perhaps you omitted parts of my post as you read it to him, obviously this part:

"So I think hair color can make one look older. Take two people the same age with similar aging characteristics and similar hairstyle."

yep, you are right............mornin lover doesn't accept that gray is associated with aging and if you have two of the SAME characteristics - say twins - but one has gray hair and the other has decided to get a nice professional color job -- who would look older????? The gray one!!!!!!!! Fact of life.

49 yrs old
brunette- thick hair
combo skin
medium skin color

jaguar241355623708.49226 PostsRegistered 12/3/2012
On 12/15/2012 doggy-lover said:

Oh, for goodness' sake.

BTW - my DH said that

yep, you are right............mornin lover doesn't accept that gray is associated with aging and if you have two of the SAME characteristics - say twins - but one has gray hair and the other has decided to get a nice professional color job -- who would look older????? The gray one!!!!!!!! Fact of life.

She'll never "get it".

Wadzlla1355630663.5971993 PostsRegistered 2/25/2009

Ladies, there is absolutely nothing that ages you more than grey hair. If you are incredibly beautiful, you can pull off white/silver hair. You will still look old, but it will be striking. So, if you look like Buffy St. Marie, go for it!

I understand the freedom in giving up coloring your hair. I have been a hair colorist, and am now retired. NO ONE EVER in the history of the world looks younger grey. If you have a hubby, you will look like his mother. Sorry if you don't like it, but it is true.

Pick a color in the blonde to medium brown color. You can even do a reverse frosting so the roots don't have to be done. The darker colors can accentuate the shadows in your face- so be careful. A very light or platinum blonde is easier to keep up also.

Time is not kind, and upkeep is becoming a full-time job. I hate it, but I am not giving up. I have an 80 something year old friend who says-"It is not whether you win or lose, it is how good you look when you play the game." She is a redhead, still working in real estate, and she dresses fashionably every single day.

The hair color every 4 weeks doesn't bother me. What drives me crazy is how long it takes to get ready in the morning. What used to take 20 minutes now takes at least an hour, usually more. With all of the lotions, potions, primers and concealers, plus undergarments- I am exhausted by the time I am ready to walk out the door!!!!

ittyreen1355672892.387689 PostsRegistered 11/30/2005

I color my hair because my husband likes me to and he doesn't complain about the cost. And yes, I look young enough to be his daughter. I'm sure there must be a connection there.

Page 2 of 2