TSV(R) Preview
140 Members and 11211 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Can hair be dyed gray?

Started 1355283446.84 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1355672892.41 by ittyreen

I am soooooo tired of coloring my hair and I do it because I look awful when the white shows and don't want to look bad during a grow out period.

I never had gray, it went straight to pure white. If I can get natural looking white hair I'm doing it.

Anyone have any info?

Page 1 of 2
Pinkroses1355284214.4671304 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007TN

Apparently Kelly Osbourne dyed her hair grey and she is in her 20's.

From iPad Air

Pinkroses1355284214.961304 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007TN

Apparently Kelly Osbourne dyed her hair grey and she is in her 20's.

From iPad Air

Deeby1355284314.5431076 PostsRegistered 6/9/2010Southern California

I saw her but hers is kind of lavendar.

cupcake131355285768.8931898 PostsRegistered 10/11/2010Kentucky

I would check with hair salons in your area. I've never thought about it, but I'm sure it's possible. And if you are really wanting to do it, I'd go to the hairdressers to have it done rather than try it myself.

baby burns1355286393.8838793 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007

do not take a chance and do it yourself! first time, go to a shop and have it done, that way you can ask what she used, and how long it will last.

shoekitty1355286475.91712882 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006

Not really, because gray is so varitable.But there are ideas! No one has the same color gray, but there are a few gray toners. But ...you would have to lift, (or bleach) the hair shaft. That is the hair from the end of the outgrowth to the very end. . White too can be tricky. If your hair is growing out white (mine too! no gray..just snowwhite) you obviously have the ends the color you were tinting to deal with. The problem arises when a hairdresser bleaches the rest of the hair. If you have been tinting it a long time, it is no doubt stained, meaning there is tint that is saturated into the shaft that it can't, or is too hard to remove.

However, talk to a stylist. Depending on the length of your hair and the color they might be able to bleach it out then tone it a gray color. If you have short hair, or want short hair, it is easier.

I do have a grow out plan that might be do-able for you. There is a color line by Matrix, called, GLOSS SYNC. It is perfect for compromised hair, and to use while your hair grows out. It has no ammonia, and super conditions the hair, and gives and shine like crazy. It uses 10% cream developer. Choose a color to match your shaft. You tint the outgrowth only, then run it through ends quick and then wash out. It lasts 4-6 weeks. The idea is to cut the ends every month a 1/2 inch, then tint the roots. In 6-12 month when shaft hair is all grown out, quit doing the GLOSS SYNC. Hair grows 1/2 inch a month, there abouts. If you have short hair you would need 2 months outgrowth to make an inch. 6 months is 3 inches virgin length hair. 12 months will give you 6 inches of virgin gray hair, so on and so on. Remaining color will wash out in a few weeks after you stop using GLOSS SYNC, and then you have all new white hair. Gloss Sync also makes a clear, and a gray shade? that makes the hair look fabulous. I have bright red hair, and use it because my hair is compromised, and frizzy from the outgrowth. My white hair is frizz. GLOSS SYNC, smooths the hair a bit, gives it shine and fullness.

This sounds confusing. If I can explain it better, let me know.. HTH

Last edited on 12/11/2012

life is a banquet and most poor fools are starving to death!"
Auntie Mame

LuvsLabs1355287738.5532227 PostsRegistered 7/2/2012

I read a story in a magazine about a girl in her early 30's who's hair was starting to turn slightly gray so she decided to dye all her hair gray. The after photo with the gray hair made her look so much older but it can be done.

TX-starlig­ht1355288262.8074684 PostsRegistered 2/8/2010
On 12/11/2012 baby burns said:

do not take a chance and do it yourself! first time, go to a shop and have it done, that way you can ask what she used, and how long it will last.

I agree! I even went to beauty supply place & found what looked like gray on sample. It did not turn out gray,it was mousy brown,looked nothing like sample. I did however, see (in magazine) a silver platinum color for hair. I would definitely go to a professional colorist.

WhateverLo­laWants1355288732.685801 PostsRegistered 10/7/2008New Mexico, not really new, not really Mexico

I think about this a lot (in regards to my own hair) but I am constantly discouraged by hairdresser and friends from going grey. (I'm thinking Meryl Streep in "The Devil Wears Prada" -- how great did she look ??) But I still think about it. Here's what I think I'd do -- buy a nice ($$$) human hair wig in the style and color you wannabe, pop it on and go! It's winter and wearing a wig won't be as uncomfortable as during the warm / hot months. By then, you'll have enough natural growth to have styled and you'll be set!

Lola

Deeby1355531035.071076 PostsRegistered 6/9/2010Southern California

Thank you all so much ! If I decide to do it I'd go to a salon.

I'll bet I chicken out !

JeanLouise­Finch1355531183.77711050 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

Redken makes a dye color called Titanium.

doggy-lover1355539672.921130 PostsRegistered 11/4/2011Texas
On 12/11/2012 LuvsLabs said:

I read a story in a magazine about a girl in her early 30's who's hair was starting to turn slightly gray so she decided to dye all her hair gray. The after photo with the gray hair made her look so much older but it can be done.

She must've had a screw loose to color all her hair gray........I knew a girl that was in her mid to late thirties that was 80% gray. Her hair was long and she never bothered to do anything with it......she looked sooo much older than she really was. I often wondered why she didn't color it.

49 yrs old
brunette- thick hair
combo skin
medium skin color

baby burns1355547757.4138793 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007

the movie stars just wear wigs, so they don't ruin their hair. if you want to get rid of all the hair coloring, going grey, if it can be done at all, will require more work for you, not less work!!!! easier to buy your self, a good wig!

violann1355572579.1412716 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
I have my hair foiled with touch ups every six or so weeks, and my goal is to arrive at a pretty silvery platinumy color. The back of my head is still very dark, and the color of my natural hair is very unattractive so this is the best thng my stylist and I can come up with.

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

grandma a1355576762.677315 PostsRegistered 5/30/2007

I too was tired of coloring my hair (auburn) because of the white roots. I purchased at Walgreens "Color Oops". It's like hair dye, put it on your hair for 20-30 minutes. It will remove all hair dye and leave your hair your natural color. My natural color was white (I was 64 at the time). It's white on top and sides and more gray/brown in the back. I love it and gets lots of compliments on my hair style (short) and color. I'm so glad I don't have to dye my hair anymore.

happy hous­ewife1355577749.4531981 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

I have had natural white hair since I was 34 and it does absolutely not make you look any older. That is the excuse many use to convince themselves that spending all that money dying their hair is the right thing to do. If a person is so shallow that, instead of looking at my face , all they do is glance at my hair, I guess then I would seem older. Who cares about a person like that? it is very freeing to not have to dye your hair or worry about roots looking bad. I don't know any woman who dyes her hair who doesn't at some point or another have roots showing and looking bad.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

Cas1355577764.417706 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007

I hope you find a way to dye it all grey.

It took me six haircuts before it was all grown out!
I love it and am so happy to not be a slave to
coloring my hair any more.

bonnielu1355580218.4775804 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

I dyed my hair since I was eleven. I guess it was my one vice or one pleasure depending on how you look at it. It was just plain fun doing it. My dad was a strawberry blond and my mom had the blackest black hair. I really never figured out what was truly mine. It started out blond and ended up deep reddish brown, I think. Long story short, my hair became dye resistant and I did not know why, so I had it professionally done. I was not told the truth. Underneath it was silver white. I had a bout with vertigo and could not lean back in a sink so I just quit cold turkey. Glad I did. Apparently it was a family trait on my mothers side to be silver white early (20's). I feel blessed. I was told that if any remnant of "dark" was left it could be bleached out. I never had to do that.

My point: Be happy with what you have. All hair color looks good if well kept up.

Sooner1355581751.2415174 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I am happy to be a slave to coloring my hair.

violann1355581869.9212716 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
morning lover, you have my every blessing if your white hair is attractive for your face. Mine looks like something the cat hacks up. My mom's sisters have beautiful silvery hair. If I ever get there, I'll do it. I have looked "older" since I was 15, and my gravel-y gray does n't help.

happy hous­ewife1355584528.3131981 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
On 12/15/2012 violann said: morning lover, you have my every blessing if your white hair is attractive for your face. Mine looks like something the cat hacks up. My mom's sisters have beautiful silvery hair. If I ever get there, I'll do it. I have looked "older" since I was 15, and my gravel-y gray does n't help.

I'm not saying everyone should let their hair go natural - I am just saying that hair color has absolutely NOTHING to do with how old you look.When I was 34 and had white hair I looked 34 and now I am 63 (64 in a few weeks) I look 64 and no older because of my hair. That is a total fantasy. I am well aware that not all grey hair is attractive and if you chose to color your hair - I'm fine with that - but PLEASE - don't tell me grey hair makes you look 20 years older - that is just not true.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

violann1355588071.512716 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
YOUR hair color doesn't makeYOU look older. MY gray hair makes me look old enough to be my husband's mother, and that has happened, in fact often. One charmer commented that DH was lucky to have a mother as spry as I. Since I have been doing my hair as I am now, this has NEVER happened, not once. When I was 16, I was taken for my 9 year old cousin's mother. I HAVE ALWAYS LOOKED OLDER THAN I AM. What possesses you to argue about something about which you have no knowledge at all? I am 68 and look AT LEAST 75, but could easily pass for 78 or 80. That is the truth!

best10buddy1355589184.1671253 PostsRegistered 11/6/2006

We can convince ourselves of anything... and we can believe it.. that does not make it true... I had a good friend who REFUSED to age-- shen she turned 50 it was not pretty... super short skirts... tub tops.. and her weight did not support the look she was wearing -- she looked exactly like what she was.. and aging woman who was fighting time with every ounce of her being... No you can tell yourself that you look fine with the long hair and short skirts... and you can walk around that way.. but wha tyou really should do is ask a good friend... Me-- I am older than she was and I was often uncomfortable for her-- I would rather alter the look than to have people laughing at me behind my back..

Do i care what other people think.. generally NO-- but I also do not want to be the person that people nudge one another over and laugh..

happy hous­ewife1355589880.38331981 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
On 12/15/2012 violann said: YOUR hair color doesn't makeYOU look older. MY gray hair makes me look old enough to be my husband's mother, and that has happened, in fact often. One charmer commented that DH was lucky to have a mother as spry as I. Since I have been doing my hair as I am now, this has NEVER happened, not once. When I was 16, I was taken for my 9 year old cousin's mother. I HAVE ALWAYS LOOKED OLDER THAN I AM. What possesses you to argue about something about which you have no knowledge at all? I am 68 and look AT LEAST 75, but could easily pass for 78 or 80. That is the truth!

So you just look older - that has nothing to do with your hair!

Southern F­ried Chick1355592342.0437177 PostsRegistered 11/17/2007
On 12/14/2012 baby burns said:

the movie stars just wear wigs, so they don't ruin their hair. if you want to get rid of all the hair coloring, going grey, if it can be done at all, will require more work for you, not less work!!!! easier to buy your self, a good wig!

That's a great idea.

Page 1 of 2