Holidays at Home
98 Members and 11574 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Long hair on mature women (over 55)........Still believe it does not look great....

Started 1354803063.29 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1355237428.177 by blueroses47

I work in a small boutique type store in a tourist town and see it all. I really feel that long past the shoulders hair on older women (I am 62) looks unattractive on most women not all. Please don't be mean in you comments since everyone is entitled to their opinion. I see women with beautiful hair hanging past their shoulders.....some beautifully styled and colored but the contrast in the youthful hair and their older faces draw attention to their age instead of disguising it. I know when you are used to bleached blond long hair when you are young it is hard to give it up at a certain age but at some point it just makes you look like you are just fighting the age process and not winning. Just my opinion but curious to what others think.

Page 1 of 10
1 2 3 4 ...10Next
Kiss my mu­tt1354803496.111314 PostsRegistered 12/31/2006

You know what we think. It's been hashed and rehashed on here. Live and let live.

If you are an older woman it appears that if you have short hair you think everyone should too.

annalynn1354804380.17746 PostsRegistered 5/17/2011

I think we should wear our hair, any way we want. To each their own.

JeanLouise­Finch1354804447.25310860 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

Wow, OP, you're curious but you don't want any mean responses? Your opening post sounds kind of mean and labeling to me.

Closer11354804771.143885 PostsRegistered 6/29/2007

I think OP has a point. It is "startling" when you see a lady with long hair and she turns around with a mature face. It almost seems "disappointing, not what you expected" etc...

{#emotions_dlg.mellow}

Ranchergal1354804866.7634271 PostsRegistered 6/13/2007

I love long hair on older women if it's groomed and conditioned. Personally, I think longer layers look good on the older gals. I could care less if they color their hair. A gray mix is great. Nothing is more sophisticated than an older woman with her long hair pulled back (Olympia Snowe look). The days of going short and coloring hair are coming to an end for older ladies.

Last edited on 12/6/2012

Last edited on 12/6/2012

Dell1354804951.292342 PostsRegistered 6/14/2006Northern California

To me it depends on how healthy the hair is and if it is not too thin. If it is a good thickness and healthy I say go fo the long hair.

Kathleen1354805175.5612980 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down
On 12/6/2012 chiclet said:

.... Just my opinion but curious to what others think.

I really don't care how other women wear their hair. It's really none of my business.

I'm pro choice. It's 2012 and women can wear their hair and dress however they wish w/o any input from me.

happy hous­ewife1354805299.0531472 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

When you live in Florida you do see it all. Old women in bikinis - long stragley hair bleached blonds - old ladies with tattoos that are now all sagging because the skin has wrinkled or sagged. Miniskirts on old cellulite and veiny legs, and lots of old lady cleavage. But for the most part - 95% are women who have accepted what their bodies have become and are doing the best they possibly can with what they have to work with. Women and men getting out into the world helping out when they see a need and doing all they can to stay healthy. Most women cut their hair when they get older because grey hair is wirey and difficult to manage or because they have health issues making caring for long hair too difficult.

I see young women all the time wearing PJs and with bedhead out in public. I see many young women who are well over the weight to look attractive in a bikini wearingf one anyway.

Bad taste knows no age limits.And why would a young woman who has bad taste suddenly develop good taste when she gets old?

We live in a society where everything is acceptable and being sloppy and unkept is totally the norm.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

Lucky Charm1354805648.1536221 PostsRegistered 2/29/2008

I don't 'get' how a woman could be 'startled' or 'disappointed' by seeing an older woman's face after you see her hair. Unless you want to . . .

My hair is not long long long, but it's not short as I do not like short hair on me.

It's 2012, it's a woman's choice and I'm pro-life.

Life's a beach!

ittyreen1354805652.46675 PostsRegistered 11/30/2005

chiclet, I recently had a conversation with my hair stylist along this line. She asked me why women, after they get to a certain age, want to wear their hair short and look like a man. I told her that we (I'm 65) think shorter hair is more flattering and easier to take care of. She said, "I think you can do better". Since then I've been noticing older women with longer hair who look good and I'm letting my hair grow out a bit. I think it all depends on the woman and the hair style.

blueroses471354805656.662141 PostsRegistered 9/1/2005Central NJ
On 12/6/2012 mountainbaby said:

I love long hair on older women if it's groomed and conditioned. Personally, I think longer layers look good on the older gals. I could care less if they color their hair. A gray mix is great. Nothing is more sophisticated than an older woman with her long hair pulled back (Olympia Snowe look). The days of going short and coloring hair are coming to an end for older ladies.

Last edited on 12/6/2012

I like this post, because I want to believe it.

I'm 65 and I have long hair, in my natural color, dark brown with a sprinkling of gray that's not really very noticable. It's thick, healthy, quite shiny. I wear it pulled back into a low "ponytail" (though I hate calling it that, because it sounds so girlish). I have long casual bangs. I always wear earrings, and I think I dress youthfully, but not foolishly. I dress fairly conservatively.

I don't wear it this way because I think it makes me look younger. I wear it this way because I actually think it looks flattering and is really so much easier to manage that when I had collar length hair that always needed styling.

I honestly don't think I'd look any better or any more age appropriate if I had my previous shorter hair (which I had all my life up until my late fifties).

I've been noticing so many women around my age lately with longer hair, and most often I think it looks fine. I'm not talking about long witch-like hair, but neat well groomed hair.

I'm retired now, so I have no work-based image that I have to be concerned with, so I dress to please myself. Maybe at some point in the future, I'll feel I want to go shorter but for now I'm enjoying my hair.

Truly, it's an individual thing, and if there are people who think my hair looks wrong, so be it.

Last edited on 12/6/2012

Last edited on 12/6/2012

smhr1354805952.1373822 PostsRegistered 1/16/2012laid back and mellow town USA

I support the O.P.s freedom of speech. I was watching Shark Tank the other night and there was this woman presenting fudge. She admitted her age ( 60 ) and she had long, blond hair. Actually, I thought it looked great on her. Kirstie Alley is over 60 and looks good in long hair. IMO, both of these ladies still have somewhat youthful faces. If it looks good on them, why not?

Last edited on 12/6/2012

Last edited on 12/6/2012

happy hous­ewife1354805984.21331472 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
On 12/6/2012 ittyreen said:

chiclet, I recently had a conversation with my hair stylist along this line. She asked me why women, after they get to a certain age, want to wear their hair short and look like a man. I told her that we (I'm 65) think shorter hair is more flattering and easier to take care of. She said, "I think you can do better". Since then I've been noticing older women with longer hair who look good and I'm letting my hair grow out a bit. I think it all depends on the woman and the hair style.

There is a huge difference between as short as man's hair and short - say chin length hair. I have short hair but it is about the same length as Joan Rivers hair so far from as short as a man's.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

waterdragon13548060162653 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006Sandy Eggo
On 12/6/2012 Kiss my mutt said:

You know what we think. It's been hashed and rehashed on here. Live and let live.

If you are an older woman it appears that if you have short hair you think everyone should too.

Agreed, OP does know how we feel and that it stirs to pot. I turned 60 today and did not make that mandated appointment to sheer off my locks. I'm expecting the fashion police to come knocking anytime.

Shiny medium brown hair, reaching towards my shoulders.

just bee1354806017.28314349 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico

It sounds like a lot of people make assumptions about women who have long hair. The obvious one is that this is a woman who cannot deal with aging and wants to hang on to her youth by hanging on to her hair.

I think that may be unfair and inaccurate for many women who are of a certain age and have hair of a certain length. My hair is the longest it's been in years because right now it's on the bottom of my priorities list. I don't have the time or resources to keep it short and stylish so, at 53, it is much longer than I ever expected my hair to be at this age.

But it's a great natural color and it's still thick, so when it's the right length I will chop off a long ponytail and donate it to either Locks of Love or Pantene's Beautiful Lengths.

Maybe when you see a woman with long hair you should think about the possibility that she's growing it out to give it to someone who needs it.

My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.

Rachelle1354806027.0371287 PostsRegistered 9/30/2007

Hmmm,,,, me thinks the OP, better stick to her day job. I wonder if an older woman with long hair walked into her "botique shop" and bought the place out, would she still have the same ill feelings towards her?, I don't think soooooooooo.. Hope your day gets better for you{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

happy hous­ewife1354806190.9331472 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

I saw Hilary Clinton on TV yesterday with her hair pulled back into a low ponytail that was curled under and she looked very nice with it that way. I don't like when she wears it down.

briiii1354806257.5136305 PostsRegistered 2/18/2010Chicago

Length doesn't matter to me as much as the color of the hair and the condition of the hair.

Nothing ages a woman more than dry hair or grey hair.

*sigh*

NoTan4Me1354806514.73862 PostsRegistered 11/8/2007NY

So much not-niceness to the OP here...I think she was just trying to start a conversation! I am 1 month away from my 50th birthday and I have long layers, bangs, thick hair, and I am a natural brunette, no grey. I love my hair and frequently get compliments on it. I also have a large nose and feel that I need my long hair to balance my face. I can't look into my crystal ball, but I don't imagine that I will ever go short, which, for me, is shoulder length or above.

If you're well-groomed, you'll look good :)

To each her own!

"Love people. Use Things. Never confuse the two."

jaxs mom1354806635.55004 PostsRegistered 4/18/2012

Use the search function these subject has been discussed repeatedly lately. Nothing new in your OP at all.

JeanLouise­Finch1354806779.710860 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011
On 12/6/2012 waterdragon said:
On 12/6/2012 Kiss my mutt said:

Agreed, OP does know how we feel and that it stirs to pot. I turned 60 today and did not make that mandated appointment to sheer off my locks. I'm expecting the fashion police to come knocking anytime.

Happy Birthday, waterdragon! Pull the shades down and close the curtains. Maybe the fashion police will think you aren't home.

haddon91354807015.8636087 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005Bucks County, Pa

I think it really depends on the individual....shape of face, condition of skin, neck, etc. Generally though I do think that very long hair doesn't bring out the best look for an older woman. I do think that shoulder length hair gives the look and versatility of long hair and is more becoming for a more mature face.

I feel that very short hair is also not for every woman...young or old. I particularly don't care for seeing an older woman (since we're talking about a woman over a certain age) who has very short unstyled cropped hair usually gray with no makeup...to me it looks like she's given up!

imaclothes­hog1354807080.2221785 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006

If I want to grow my hair down to my a r s e when I am 60 I will do so and not give a fig what anyone thinks. Smile

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

naturalfan1354807620.284263 PostsRegistered 1/27/2009

I think people have different definitions of short hair. Short hair does not necessarily mean a pixie cut. My interpretation of long hair is anything below collarbone length and that might not meet other's definitions of long hair. But thinning, scraggley hair looks good on nobody, young or old and most of us deal with thinning hair as we age. From what you read on these boards and considering all the hair thickening products out there for sale, it seems many want to add thickness and volume to their hair. If you are one of the very few ladies out there that does not have issues with hair that seems to thin as you age, good for you and go for it. I don't think most women fall into that category though.

soccer-lax­-mom1354808172.6131036 PostsRegistered 2/1/2007

I am 58 and have naturally curly hair (which I dye to cover the grey) and I am letting it grow long. I get so many compliments on my hair, which after years of not liking it, are great.

I also think the long curly hair makes me look YOUNGER - no one thinks that I am my age.

Chilcet -- why did you pick 55? are you having your own issues with that age? In this day and age when there are so many advances in skin care and hair care and medicine why should an age define us.

CHOICE is the word - and I choose to look how I want to and enjoy how I look

bonnie

Page 1 of 10
1 2 3 4 ...10Next