Early Access
122 Members and 11066 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

How long to wait after coloring to shampoo?

Started 1353809971.46 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1354039896.79 by SandyLouWho

some say 48 hour rule. Some say 24 hr. some say it does not matter?

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
lizzief1353810268.922515 PostsRegistered 9/27/2011
Since they wash your hair when you get it colored, I don't think it matters. Despite what Chaz Dean may say, whatever goes down the drain then is excess color anyway. Sometimes I wait a day, sometimes I don't, it hasn't seemed to matter.

kcladyz1353810303.6573934 PostsRegistered 4/30/2012

I home color

lovelylinda1353810797.107560 PostsRegistered 3/11/2007liverpool, ny

if it does not say on the box, i'm sure you are good to go. if you can wait 24 or 48 hours, go ahead. experiment and write down your experience to see what works for your hair. if you shampoo right away and get a good four weeks of color, then wait 48 hours next time see if it lasts longer.

Rainbows a­nd Roses1353810923.79718545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011

I wait 72 hours..........I was told 48-72 hours.........seems to work for me. I do understand the poster that says they wash hair after a color but my stylists uses a shampoo for color treated hair.........I am sure he does....then he tells me to wait...also I have hard water and that takes color out faster than soft water......since I am gray and color blonde......it is not noticed as someone with brown or black hair........best to you. Try 72 and see what you think.

"Crying is for plain women, Pretty women go shopping." Oscar Wilde

"The most beautiful makeup of a woman is passion but cosmetics are easier to buy." YSL

!FitChick!1353811308.067801 PostsRegistered 1/22/2011

I home color. I skip the conditioner that they provide in the box, and after I color I rinse, then use Biolage conditioner. The next day I will again condition my hair only, then the next day I will wash and condition. The home hair color either washes out fast or it fades out fast, but I just don't want to drop $120.00 every 7 weeks.

KatCat11353811589.3116955 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

Color hair, wait two days, wash on third day. That's what I did when I colored my hair.

glmama1353812139.6219695 PostsRegistered 12/8/2006
I usually wait 2 days.

Over 40. Dark hair. Fair, with mild-moderate Rosacea. Finicky skin. Did I mention--Gorgeous? ;)

Irshgrl312­011353812149.1914252 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

Wait a minute, are you not shampooing the color out? I was a corrective colorist for over 10 yrs and you can wash right after you color, in fact you SHOULD wash right after you color to get the color and developer out.

The reason you have to wait to wash after a perm is because the cuticule is blasted open by chemicals so it can assume the shape of the rod you are using for curl size. Then you apply a neutralizer which somewhat closes it to then assume the new shape. They want you to wait after perming or straightening to fully close the cuticle but that is not the same with color. It does open the cuticle to deposit the color but it doesn't open it nearly as much as it does with perming.

You should also be using a good conditioner after coloring because it evens out the hairs porosity and color lasts longer.

Last edited on 11/24/2012

CA annie1353812578.763769 PostsRegistered 1/25/2007Sunny CA

I recently asked my colorist this very question. She said you do not have to wait any amount of time to shampoo after coloring. But, with that said, I always wait two days or more. I guess I didn't believe her? {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

{#emotions_dlg.blushing}nnie

polar1353812930.642687 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005

I wash right after. Who wants all that c r a p left in your hair?

lobstergal1353812978.9373786 PostsRegistered 12/3/2010

I color at home and I've always followed the 48-72 hr rule. I use the conditioner that comes in the box immediately after rinsing the color out and don't wash with shampoo until the 3rd day after coloring. I have long hair and my scalp doesn't get greasy fast but if it did I would probably shampoo on the second day instead.

When the mindset of the hearer is set by anger or bitterness, everything that is said will be perceived as negative, regardless of intentions of the heart.
Ignorance is NOT an excuse...you can't plead stupid.

Dharma_Ini­tiative1353813109.034147 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007

I use Revlon Colorsilk and you do not shampoo the color out, per the directions. You rinse only and condition. After years of following the directions, I have had no problem. It all comes out in the warm water b/c I rinse thoroughly. I don't shampoo the following day, but the day after that.

Irshgrl312­011353813131.7314252 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006
On 11/24/2012 lobstergal said:

I color at home and I've always followed the 48-72 hr rule. I use the conditioner that comes in the box immediately after rinsing the color out and don't wash with shampoo until the 3rd day after coloring. I have long hair and my scalp doesn't get greasy fast but if it did I would probably shampoo on the second day instead.

So you just rinse and conditon? This is not getting the devoloper and color completely out of your hair. It is safe to wash right after and condition followed by a cool rinse to help close the cuticle. If you wish to wait a couple of days after that it is fine but you really should be washing your developer and color out of hair immediately following coloring.

FUTURE1353813159.3911606 PostsRegistered 5/18/2008
I'm pretty sure the OP is washing the color out after she puts it in. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're asking when the NEXT time you wash would be. I always wait two full days, and wash on the 3rd day. So, if I get it done on Thursday afternoon, I would wash it on Sunday (usually in the am, but sometimes the pm, depending on my level of activity). Last edited on 11/24/2012

FUTURE1353813284.8811606 PostsRegistered 5/18/2008
On 11/24/2012 Irshgrl31201 said:

So you just rinse and conditon? This is not getting the devoloper and color completely out of your hair. It is safe to wash right after and condition followed by a cool rinse to help close the cuticle. If you wish to wait a couple of days after that it is fine but you really should be washing your developer and color out of hair immediately following coloring.

My hairdresser always washes out my color, then does a deep conditioner. I've never heard of just rinsing it out, but I also don't do at home color. It seems like it would be most necessary to completely rinse the color from our hair, or else it could lead to damage. I thought you were supposed to rinse, wash, then use the conditioner they give you.

lobstergal1353813448.343786 PostsRegistered 12/3/2010

Yes, that's what the instructions say to do so (Revlon ColorSilk) so that's how I've done it since I started coloring my own hair which has been a few years now. Even when I used to have my hair colored at a salon they would always tell me to wait at least 24hrs before washing.

I'm totally confused now LOL.

When the mindset of the hearer is set by anger or bitterness, everything that is said will be perceived as negative, regardless of intentions of the heart.

Irshgrl312­011353813488.37314252 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006
On 11/24/2012 FUTURE said: I'm pretty sure she's washing the color out after she puts it in. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're asking when the NEXT time you wash would be. I always wait two full days, and wash on the 3rd day. So, if I get it done on Thursday afternoon, I would wash it on Sunday (usually in the am, but sometimes the pm, depending on my level of activity).

Ok.. thanks LOL. I was confused, I thought these people were just rinsing the color off and conditioning it. That would feel so gross. Developer and color together are very sticky and need a shampoo to really get it off. That is fine if you choose to wait after the initial shampoo though I will say in years of corrective coloring I have never seen fading that would warrant waiting 2 days. Water is the biggest fader of color not shampoo. Even sulfate shampoos don't fade hair as much as water sun and environment do.

Dharma_Ini­tiative1353813667.2234147 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007

The instructions for Revlon Colorsilk say just to rinse with warm water. Not shampoo.

lobstergal1353813686.133786 PostsRegistered 12/3/2010

Oh, I forgot to say...

I rinse the color out until the water turns clear, condition (with the packet of condtioner that comes in the box) and rinse again.

Irshgrl312­011353813948.6914252 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

Yes, that's what the instructions say to do so (Revlon ColorSilk) so that's how I've done it since I started coloring my own hair which has been a few years now. Even when I used to have my hair colored at a salon they would always tell me to wait at least 24hrs before washing.

I'm totally confused now LOL.

I have never ever heard of any salon not shampooing right after a color. I have heard of salons telling them to wait a couple of days after that. If you are happy with that then you should continue doing that but not shampooing that out not only probably makes your hair feel a little sticky and coated but you are most likely not getting all the chemicals out of your hair. Prior to becoming an aesthetician, I was a corrective colorist for over 10 yrs. I only did color and cuts, nothing else. I still have friends in the industry that i am close with and I have seriously never heard of this and I have taken ongoing corrective color classes from the best in the business. If you want to shampoo it out and then wait a day or two you absolutely can do that, don't feel bad. I just am picturing myself just rinsing and conditioning and I seriously woudlnt' be able to style my hair at all, it would look horrible. I am not familiar with Colorsilk as I have worked with Goldwell, Redken and Professional Loreal color but at the end of the day, these colors are structurally very close to each other and there is no scientific reason why you should not shampoo these out like any other color. Like I said, water is the biggest culprit of fading (sun too) not shampooing. If you are comfortable with that though then you should continue. I was just shocked because I have never heard of that and blondes and reds were my specialty and reds are the biggest fader or color out there.

Fair Maiden1353814125.453237 PostsRegistered 11/22/2012everywhere

i always wait 48 hours

False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.
Socrates

lobstergal1353815038.5973786 PostsRegistered 12/3/2010

I have never ever heard of any salon not shampooing right after a color. I have heard of salons telling them to wait a couple of days after that. If you are happy with that then you should continue doing that but not shampooing that out not only probably makes your hair feel a little sticky and coated but you are most likely not getting all the chemicals out of your hair. Prior to becoming an aesthetician, I was a corrective colorist for over 10 yrs. I only did color and cuts, nothing else. I still have friends in the industry that i am close with and I have seriously never heard of this and I have taken ongoing corrective color classes from the best in the business. If you want to shampoo it out and then wait a day or two you absolutely can do that, don't feel bad. I just am picturing myself just rinsing and conditioning and I seriously woudlnt' be able to style my hair at all, it would look horrible. I am not familiar with Colorsilk as I have worked with Goldwell, Redken and Professional Loreal color but at the end of the day, these colors are structurally very close to each other and there is no scientific reason why you should not shampoo these out like any other color. Like I said, water is the biggest culprit of fading (sun too) not shampooing. If you are comfortable with that though then you should continue. I was just shocked because I have never heard of that and blondes and reds were my specialty and reds are the biggest fader or color out there.

You know now that I think about it and after reading what you wrote, I'm pretty sure when I had my hair colored at the salon they did shampoo and conditioner after but then told me to wait 24-48 hrs before I shampoo at home. I never questioned it, just followed the instructions they gave me. The box of Revlon ColorSilk says just rinse and condition so again I just followed the instructions. My hair feels squeeky clean with no residue or sticky feeling when I'm done but it's good to know that I can use shampoo if I want to and it won't change the outcome. I'm a brunette (med brown) and my hair is quite long, below mid back so I don't do much as far as styling goes.

Nightowlz1353815176.669533 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
I color mine at home & have washed my hair right after rinsing out the dye. Most of the time I wash it 48 hrs later.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

dionline1353815181.1172228 PostsRegistered 1/6/2008Central Florida

A Revlon Colorsilk user here - for close to 20 yrs now. I always rinse well with warm water, use the enclosed conditioner and wait 2-3 days to shampoo. My hair feels super soft right after coloring, not sticky in the least. That conditioner is awesome - too bad they don't sell it on its own. But I've shampooed right after coloring years ago and my color wouldn't last as long. Now I just use the conditioner and I'm good to go.

That said, I usually color my roots only about every 3 weeks. And since I only wash my hair about twice a week, my color is pretty good at all times. I couldn't imagine going every 6 or 7 weeks - my roots would be glaring at that point!! I love my Colorsilk at less than $3 a box!!!

waterdragon1353815587.2932653 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006Sandy Eggo

@home hair coloring does not require shampooing after the rinse. It must have to do with the strenth of the chemicals or the type. Even what I've picked up @beauty supply shops are this way. I've never had my hair colored in a salon, I was shocked they wash it after.

Shiny medium brown hair, reaching towards my shoulders.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next