Shoes & Handbags Offers
177 Members and 14417 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Anyone use henna to cover white hair?

Started 1353611691.277 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1353701045.63 by namealreadytaken

I really hate the way my hair looks lately and am considering switching from box dyes back to henna. I used to use henna when I was in my twenties and I had the loveliest healthy auburn hair as a result. I always got compliments on it. I don't even remember why I switched to box colors, but lately my hair looks bleached out and unhealthy.

I have a lot of white hair on the top of my head now, but am considering trying henna instead of box dye because it is better for hair. I ordered a box of ancient sunrise for gray in the shade auburn and am a little nervous to try it. By the way, I have done a lot of research and it is OK to use pure henna over previously dyed hair because it doesn't contain metallic salts. Mostly I'm concerned that it won't cover my stubborn white hairs enough.

Page 1 of 1
scuba3181353616180.43372 PostsRegistered 1/6/2008
Years ago I tried henna to cover my gray and the white hair turned bright orange. Individual results may vary :-). Since then I rely on a professional to color my hair. Good luck whatever you decide.

bikerbabe1353617656.358510 PostsRegistered 4/10/2007
On 11/22/2012 scuba318 said: Years ago I tried henna to cover my gray and the white hair turned bright orange. Individual results may vary :-). Since then I rely on a professional to color my hair. Good luck whatever you decide.

funny you mention that. my best friend had the same result with henna. her silver hair turned orange. i have no experience with henna so i don't know if she used it incorrectly.

I take pleasure in my 'transformations'. I look quiet and consistent, but few know how many women there are in me.
- Anais Nin

NewerName1353617967.0771237 PostsRegistered 5/10/2012
On 11/22/2012 bikerbabe said:
On 11/22/2012 scuba318 said: Years ago I tried henna to cover my gray and the white hair turned bright orange. Individual results may vary :-). Since then I rely on a professional to color my hair. Good luck whatever you decide.

funny you mention that. my best friend had the same result with henna. her silver hair turned orange. i have no experience with henna so i don't know if she used it incorrectly.

Yeah, I think you have to also use indigo to prevent the super orange shade. I'll post results, hopefully they won't be bad.

MarieIG1353618279.893479 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007

I will be interested in your results. Good luck!

MarieIG

Wife; mother of six (one military); three cats, and one dog. I enjoy reading about beauty, jewelry, fashion, and wellness.

Wadzlla1353620207.181941 PostsRegistered 2/25/2009

do a test on a small piece of hair before you do this on your whole head. I do not reccomend henna. if you mess up, it will take a good colorist and a lot of $$ to fix it.

AnikaBrodie1353620968.9415036 PostsRegistered 1/29/2008The NE state of mountains and valleys

Have you considered giving your hair a "holiday?" Several years ago I stopped coloring my hair and let it grow out to its natural color -- silver. Last spring my hair appeared dry and almost brittle and was thinning so I decided to quit the perming. (I had been getting a perm four times a year.) Fast forward about nine months and my hair appears much healthier and has gotten thicker and more manageable with a lot of shine. I shampoo with Biosilk silver lights shampoo.

I have my hair cut every four weeks since I wear it short. My hairdresser has not mentioned the word "perm" for nine months. So, I think I'll leave it this way. It's all good (for me). {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} BTW, my hair used to be a lovely auburn too.

~~~The Silver Fox ~~~
“... We don't meet people by accident. They are meant to cross our path for a reason..." (Anonymous)

NewerName1353621286.7631237 PostsRegistered 5/10/2012
On 11/22/2012 AnikaBrodie said:

Have you considered giving your hair a "holiday?" Several years ago I stopped coloring my hair and let it grow out to its natural color -- silver. Last spring my hair appeared dry and almost brittle and was thinning so I decided to quit the perming. (I had been getting a perm four times a year.) Fast forward about nine months and my hair appears much healthier and has gotten thicker and more manageable with a lot of shine. I shampoo with Biosilk silver lights shampoo.

I have my hair cut every four weeks since I wear it short. My hairdresser has not mentioned the word "perm" for nine months. So, I think I'll leave it this way. It's all good (for me). {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} BTW, my hair used to be a lovely auburn too.

I don't want to do a holiday for several reasons. First, my natural color is now an ugly reddish brown shade with lots of stubborn white hairs mixed in. I'm only 39 and single, so I don't want to throw in the towel and let myself go to pot. (I am not saying that anyone that doesn't color their hair is letting themselves go to pot, just that this is how I would look and feel. While white hair looks great on some people, on me it would look wretched.) Third, I would have to cut all my hair off or else I would have this horrible transition between colored hair and my ugly natural color. I have to just keep trying to find an alternative. As my roots are really growing in I would say that with the exception of one spot on the top of my head that is all white, most of my hair is 25% or less white and the rest is the medium reddish brown. Since henna made my hair look really pretty when I was in my twenties I'm going to just give it a try. I think I have enough base color that it won't look too bad. If my hair was all white I'd be more nervous.

Last edited on 11/22/2012

Last edited on 11/22/2012

colliegirls1353622013.4575986 PostsRegistered 5/13/2012

I had my hairdresser use henna on my hair about 20 years ago. Eventually, I got so much more gray that it was no longer effective.

dsky1353646613.951055 PostsRegistered 1/3/2009

Henna penetrates all the three layers of hair and once you use it you will never be able to use bleach. When I was in college I used a black henna, hated how dark it was, then had a friend pull it through the cap to bleach it, well it was green, had to cut it off. Now that I am a hairdresser I don't know why the professional I went to (eight hours later), didn't dye it permanently brown, I remember her saying she didn't want me to have roots. Anyway I am now 52 and have been a hairdresser for over 20 years and I would have know how to fix my hair. As far as you coloring gray hair with henna, I didn't think that is what henna is used for, at least not the henna I used, it is usually only for blending a small amount of gray and as a color glaze for added shine and health. Be very careful with this stuff, you might have hot orange roots, and you will not be able to go blonde until it is all grown out.

sparklestar1353647691.5810181 PostsRegistered 1/6/2008

Natural henna plant does not cover gray or permanently change your hair color. It's used to enhance your natural hightlights.

chgogirl1353648756.5032160 PostsRegistered 8/5/2007
On 11/22/2012 colliegirls said:

I had my hairdresser use henna on my hair about 20 years ago. Eventually, I got so much more gray that it was no longer effective.

That's exactly what my mom told me about henna.

shoekitty1353656498.39712474 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006

Henna , real Henna is actually a semi permanent color. It does penetrate the hair shaft. I don't know what Henna you are talking about, but Egytian Henna is red, usually. I used to use Henna years ago. It is undependable in the results. The roots can lift a bit, as heat helps Henna develop. Gray or white hair absorbs the henna most, and the results intensify. Think Lucy Ricardo. The color results can be uneven.

I can recommend a product, Matrix Gloss Sync. You will need someone with a license to purchase it for you. I might try the copper, or the red brown. This is an ammonia free color, that uses 10% peroxide, and conditions the hair and colors with fruit acids.. It does not lighten, it is pure color. I love it and I have white outgrowth in front, I use the red6RR. It covers for a few weeks. It is easy to apply and takes 20 mins.

Otherwise have you looked at Nice N easy, or similar product? I have never used that but many do and love it.

life is a banquet and most poor fools are starving to death!"
Auntie Mame

NewerName1353666669.011237 PostsRegistered 5/10/2012
On 11/22/2012 sparklestar said:

Natural henna plant does not cover gray or permanently change your hair color. It's used to enhance your natural hightlights.

It can cover gray, especially when combined with indigo. Check out hennaforhair.com.

NewerName1353666828.3671237 PostsRegistered 5/10/2012
On 11/22/2012 dsky said:

Henna penetrates all the three layers of hair and once you use it you will never be able to use bleach. When I was in college I used a black henna, hated how dark it was, then had a friend pull it through the cap to bleach it, well it was green, had to cut it off. Now that I am a hairdresser I don't know why the professional I went to (eight hours later), didn't dye it permanently brown, I remember her saying she didn't want me to have roots. Anyway I am now 52 and have been a hairdresser for over 20 years and I would have know how to fix my hair. As far as you coloring gray hair with henna, I didn't think that is what henna is used for, at least not the henna I used, it is usually only for blending a small amount of gray and as a color glaze for added shine and health. Be very careful with this stuff, you might have hot orange roots, and you will not be able to go blonde until it is all grown out.

if it was black henna than it was either a compound henna or a henna/indigo mix. That is why it turned green. I'm not interested in being blonde, never have been and never will. Last edited on 11/23/2012

Last edited on 11/23/2012

NewerName1353667540.3771237 PostsRegistered 5/10/2012
On 11/23/2012 shoekitty said:

Henna , real Henna is actually a semi permanent color. It does penetrate the hair shaft. I don't know what Henna you are talking about, but Egytian Henna is red, usually. I used to use Henna years ago. It is undependable in the results. The roots can lift a bit, as heat helps Henna develop. Gray or white hair absorbs the henna most, and the results intensify. Think Lucy Ricardo. The color results can be uneven.

I can recommend a product, Matrix Gloss Sync. You will need someone with a license to purchase it for you. I might try the copper, or the red brown. This is an ammonia free color, that uses 10% peroxide, and conditions the hair and colors with fruit acids.. It does not lighten, it is pure color. I love it and I have white outgrowth in front, I use the red6RR. It covers for a few weeks. It is easy to apply and takes 20 mins.

Otherwise have you looked at Nice N easy, or similar product? I have never used that but many do and love it.

The matrix is still a chemical dye that would contain PPD. The nice and easy is a cheap box of chemical dye and not a good one at that. The reviews at makeupalley for it are horrible. I have used all the best chemical dyes, naturcolor, ion, wella and age beautiful to name a few. I want to find a way to look good without using chemicals or damaging my hair. Last edited on 11/23/2012

Last edited on 11/23/2012

dsky1353692625.6331055 PostsRegistered 1/3/2009

I work at an all Chi shop and our color line just about a year ago took out the PPD. It is the only non ammonia color line without the PPD. It is only sold to cosmetologist. It is a wonderful product. It is made by Farouk. It covers gray beautifully.

NewerName1353692962.761237 PostsRegistered 5/10/2012

I appreciate the feedback, but I am not looking to purchase a chemical dye like nice n' easy or matrix or chi. If you read hennaforhair.com there is a lot of good information about henna and I used it for years in the past. I just want to know if there is anyone here that uses henna to color their hair.

dsky1353693350.631055 PostsRegistered 1/3/2009

I understand now, I know that in my local health food store there are box hair color, you might have better luck with gray coverage with that type of product. Good luck in finding what you need and tell us of your results.

NewerName1353693514.3131237 PostsRegistered 5/10/2012
On 11/23/2012 dsky said:

I understand now, I know that in my local health food store there are box hair color, you might have better luck with gray coverage with that type of product. Good luck in finding what you need and tell us of your results.

Thanks, I will definitely update about my results. I will probably do it next weekend if my order comes in this week. I ordered the ancient sunrise auburn kit for gray hair.

namealread­ytaken1353701045.6277690 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009
On 11/23/2012 shoekitty said:

I agree with you about what it is and what it does. I used this on my color treated red hair between treatments to enhance the color. It would brighten and lift the look, make it "more exciting" before a new color job. It can be uneven depending on the porosity of the hair shaft. I made the mistake of using it for a class reunion the night before and had to skip the brunch so that I could do several shampoos. It always happens when you should expect it but hoped it will not happen.

Page 1 of 1