Weekend Preview
157 Members and 11953 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

What are your thoughts on gift giving for hairdressers at Christmas?

Started 1353271390.833 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1353685803.95 by Danielle46

I just don't know what to do about this. I always give my hairdresser at least a 20% tip and am a frequent customer. He recently told me that his customers are "very generous" at Christmas. I am a newer client (1year). I do have an appt. in early December and was wondering what all of you do, and if you give extra tip, how much, or if you give a gift. Also do you think it is necessary? TIA

Page 1 of 5
Kokathy1353271521.4772954 PostsRegistered 6/9/2012

Normally I'll double my normal tip and/or give them something nice. This year I am giving my hair dresser a bottle of wine he likes and he also loves angels so I got him a gorgeous angel ornament.

**edited to add in that I agree with everyone saying the hairdresser is being tacky and hinting around at a gift.

Last edited on 11/18/2012

I'm just a gal trying to take over the world.

JeanLouise­Finch1353271947.43311057 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

Hmmm, I don't know how to take his comment. Was he saying it as "encouragement" or that he was appreciative of the kindness, or that he was bragging? Your 20% tip at your regular appointments is good. I think giving a gift is separate from the tip because you'd be tipping regardless of the timing. For Christmas, you can give him a separate envelope with some cash or a gift card, if you want to. There is no obligation for you to give a gift. If you want to, fine, but the if you give it from a sense of obligation the joy of giving is lost in the process. A gift of $25 would be fine, IMO.

Krimpette1353272130.68710181 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007MidAtlantic

I always give my hairdresser an extra tip and gift at Christmas. But I must admit, I'm a little taken aback at the comments made by the OP's hairdresser. I'd be inclined to be less generous to him, just because of the tacky comment.

Jen-PT1353272694.651796 PostsRegistered 9/14/2007West Coast

I think your hairdresser's comment was very tacky. It sounded like he made that comment to get a bigger tip from you around Christmas, certainly not the spirit of Christmas at all.

I've decided that I'm not giving out Christmas gifts because I feel they're expected of me anymore. If someone is special to me, I will want to give them a gift and I will. But for people like my mailman (who I don't know), my hairdresser (who I go to 4 times a year and have never spoken to outside of those visits), my garbagemen (who I have never even seen), they get paid for their services and will not be on my Christmas list. Christmas has become so focused on material things, buying for everyone that has any sort of slight connection in your life and I want to focus on those people that I truly love and spend my time with. If you haven't spent time at my dinner table, you're probably not that close to me. That being said, we just had about 20 close friends and all of their children at our dinner table last night, I feel blessed indeed.

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut and still think they are sexy.

MrsSweeeti­eBear1353272898.0071326 PostsRegistered 11/6/2012

My thought is that my hairdresser should be gifting me instead of the other way around.

KatCat11353273042.76317160 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

You are quite generous. When I had my haircut in the salon, I would give 15% which is appropriate. Now I attend a workshop at a top salon so I only need to tip but I always receive a final cut by the manager or senior stylist. I am going to bake Christmas cookies and fudge and take it to the salon this year. I feel that you should do what you feel comfortable with. Like an extra $20 tip, or a bottle of champayne or wine. Don't worry about what other people are giving. You give what you want to give.

KittyLouWho1353273127.7926542 PostsRegistered 1/11/2006
On 11/18/2012 MrsSweeetieBear said:

My thought is that my hairdresser should be gifting me instead of the other way around.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

"You make me feel like I've been locked out of heaven, for too long, for too long"
Bruno Mars

Southern F­ried Chick1353273129.9877177 PostsRegistered 11/17/2007

HAHAHA! Love it!

jpie1353273498.7171785 PostsRegistered 7/3/2007

I think your hairdresser was tacky as well making that comment. I usually buy a gift, such as a reed diffuser or candle, along with the regular tip. I have been going to the same person for 25+ years, so we have also become friends. Your case is different however. If you really like this guy and want to remain a regular customer for a long time, then I would give him a tip, along with a gift of perhaps a more generous tip.

PuttyTat1353273861.72773 PostsRegistered 8/14/2012

As a licensed cosmetologist (retired), let me add my voice to those who say that your stylist's remark about his clients being "very generous" at Christmas was tacky! I can't even imagine an agenda-free context for such a statement - especially since you routinely tip 20%, which is already very generous.

I used to appreciate it when my clients gave me a bottle of wine or box of chocolates during the holidays, but it was certainly not something I expected - and nowadays people are more sensitive to the idea that someone else might be diabetic or have issues with alcohol, so it's not always safe to assume that wine or candy would be appreciated.

If you want to give your stylist something extra at Christmas, maybe a gift certificate would be be nice. But don't feel pressured into it, especially since you already tip generously throughout the year.

KentuckyWo­man1353274034.171783 PostsRegistered 10/29/2009

I give her my normal 15% tip and wish her and the family a Merry Christmas.

tngal041353274152.73178 PostsRegistered 5/18/2012

Go to a new salon. That comment was uncalled for. and since my hairdresser also owns the salon, she won't accept gifts or tips.

localharvest.org find local organic farmers
and farmer's markets

vicosmom1353274650.31549 PostsRegistered 10/19/2012

I have an appointment in early December and plan to give my usual tip and a gift card to Bath, Bed and Beyond. In our talks while she is doing my hair she has mentioned how she loves shopping there so I thought this would be appropriate.

Edited to add: add my name to the list thinking your hairdresser was rude in hinting around re the size of his Christmas gift.

62 , salt and pepper pixie cut hair
Combo skin, no wrinkles (yet)
Brown eyes, medium/olive skintone

Tassie1353275357.54429 PostsRegistered 9/11/2007Florida

Thank you all so much for your responses! I appreciate it. I really do like him as a person and he is a fantastic hairdresser too. I too wondered if his comment was meant as a "hint" to me or a comment that just "came out" as he was telling me that he has really nice customers and is fortunate. I agree that hairdressers should give their regular customers a little something at Christmas in appreciation for their business. Thanks again!!

kivah1353275514.273581 PostsRegistered 7/21/2008oxnard, CA

I've been going to the same hairdresser at SuperCuts for 1 year. The haircut is $14 (senior price) and I go every 9-10 weeks. I tip $5 to $6 each time. The last time I went was the end of October and as I was leaving, she said "the next time I see you will be around Christmas" and I said YES. WOW????

Hooty1353275530.0519067 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006~War Eagle Country~

I have been going to my hairdresser for almost 15 years! She is also a friend to me, I just give her an "extra tip" with a card! She has gone out of her way many times for me!

chi59251353275577.9031944 PostsRegistered 1/3/2006

I don't understand why people feel required to give their hairdresser an Xmas gift.

I also tip very generously to my stylist whom I go to about 4-6 times/year. I do not see him other than when I go to the salon for my appointments.

This person is doing their job by providing a service. It's their job to style hair.

Having said that, my mailman delivers my mail regularly, doing his job. Is he someone I should buy a gift for?

My dry cleaning store also does a great job with my stuff. Should I get them a gift also?

The Starbucks that I go to 2-3 times/week also makes me great coffee. Should I get those ladies a gift also? (I admit it though, oftentimes, I do leave a tip in the jar on the counter).

Before anyone bashes me, I am not a Scrooge either. For the past 15 years in the first week of November, I give a sizable check to the Salvation Army.

I just don't understand going out and buying gifts for people who just do their jobs.

What am I missing with the buy-everyone-who-provides-a-service-to-you concept?

Skylands1353275689.636348 PostsRegistered 5/30/2010

People always can use $$ vs. some gift that really doesn't hit the spot. That being said, if I were to double my 20% tip, I would be giving away $160 dollars. (split between stylist & colorist) I'm gererous giving 20% thru out the year. That's it.

colliemom31353276235.07316166 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010

My friend said her stylist keeps a Christmas basket out in case anyone wishes to put a card/money in it. Is that tacky?!

nailmaven1353276507.82449 PostsRegistered 8/29/2006

I tip nicely everytime I get my hair done. I won't be getting my hair done during the holidays because of the fact I don't feel the need to tip anymore than I always do. Cheap?

Mustangshar1353276640.2177890 PostsRegistered 12/7/2006Chicago Burbs

You know, you are right! LOL, however, my colorist as given me free highlights on occasion so I always give her an extra $25 or so at the Holiday.:)

Sharon :)
WNYgal said The Shame Sisters, otherwise known as Linea Anonymous.

sueinsf1353276994.292384 PostsRegistered 9/5/2006

I've been going to my hairdresser for over 15 years. I give her a nice bottle of wine at Christmas and she has always been very appreciative. I do know that not all her clients do so. I think you should give a gift if you want to, but you shouldn't feel you have to.

KatCat11353277543.44717160 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011
On 11/18/2012 KatCat1 said:

You are quite generous. When I had my haircut in the salon, I would give 15% which is appropriate. Now I attend a workshop at a top salon so I only need to tip but I always receive a final cut by the manager or senior stylist. I am going to bake Christmas cookies and fudge and take it to the salon this year. I feel that you should do what you feel comfortable with. Like an extra $20 tip, or a bottle of champayne or wine. Don't worry about what other people are giving. You give what you want to give.

The more I thought about it, your hair stylist has alot of nerve to tell you his clients are "very generous" with gifts. How dare he/she say that.

Iwantcoffee1353277987.792730 PostsRegistered 11/28/2006

You should give a gift only if you want to do so. His comment was tacky and you are under no obligation to give a gift to your hairdresser. It does not matter what his other clients do.

bamberkat131353278465.711112 PostsRegistered 3/5/2007Southwest

Years ago when I worked and got my hair done on a regular basis - 2 tone weave coloring, etc - I went to a very upscale salon in Phoenix where wine/refreshments were served and the service was excellent and everyone was treated wonderfully. It was a treat to go there for hair coloring/facials, etc. I felt I deserved it! :) Prices were much lower than they are today, but it was an expensive salon. Upon checkout at the front desk, small envelopes were available for tips, if wanted. Everything was subtle. No one acted like they were 'waiting' for a tip. Total class salon.......

I now go to a small shop owned by a great gal and she has 3 operators working there. I see her 2 or 3 times a year and she does a wonderful job covering my gray roots and giving me a fantastic cut that does not necessitate me going back every other month which I greatly appreciate.

I always give her 20% because she is so fair on the cost to do my hair which is shoulder length and thick and requires at least 2 hours to color and cut.

I also find fun things on ebay to take in each time such as an inexpensive hairdresser pin from ebay with tiny mirrors/brushes, etc or a small plaque showing the breed of dogs she has with a welcome sign on it - just fun things to make her laugh :)

She is moving into a new home soon so I found some pillows on Hautelook last month, again, with her breed of dog on them with funny captions - she'll love them! I'll be taking them in at Christmas. They were not inexpensive, but it is more of a housewarming gift and a 'thank you' gift.

For me, that's what it's about. Appreciating what someone does for me and letting them know.

I used to give candles/skin creams to my doctor/medical assistants, etc., but times change in that area as well. I changed health plans and with that I stopped any gift giving. Offices are too large now. I would rather put people and pet food in the bins in the grocery stores during the holiday times and I never walk past a Salvation Army kettle without putting something in because a long time ago they were there for me.

As another poster said, it should be about what makes us feel good, not a have-to thing.

The UPS driver/mail carrier are not my friends and get paid quite well.

I truly believe the days of gifting lots of people during the holidays are gone.

bamberkat

Any household with at least one feline member has no need for an alarm clock :)

Page 1 of 5