TSV(R) Preview
134 Members and 11464 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Root Touch-Up Costs -- This May Help You!

Started 1353238267.18 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1353299221.533 by feline fine

Ladies, I posted this as a response in another thread, but since all of you may not have seen that, I wanted to pass along a great root touch-up tip my daughter gave me! It will really save you MONEY!!

Get a box of the Clairol Root Touch-Up and after using, wash the little brush, trough and developer bottle well and put away. You may also be able to wash the gloves while wearing them, with liquid hand soap of some kind. When it's time to do a touch-up again, purchase a box of your regular hair color, and using the items from the touch-up kit that you have set aside, follow the 'recipe' in your directions to mix up a 'strand' test amount of color agent. I let mine sit for up to five minutes to fully develop the color. After you touch up your roots, wash out the trough, bottle and little brush again and put away again.

The only thing I found is that the gloves that came with the original touch-up kit may not last long, and I'm sure more can be bought someplace like Sally Beauty.

With the economy being what it is, it is MUCH cheaper to use this method and not lay out up to $5.99 every three weeks doing touch-ups! I won't be going back to touch-up kits. The regular box items last me through SEVERAL touch-ups! HTH!!

Mary

~~Cats are God's furry angels on earth, without wings~~
~~I bleed Black and Gold for the Pittsburgh Steelers!~~
~~Proud of my 18-yr old granddaughter, who's in the Army Reserves and just married the soldier of her dreams!

Page 1 of 1
Brinklii1353240810.13710278 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI

StreetAngel ~~ That is similar to what I do...only I purchased my brush, trough, and a mixing bottle at Sally's. Then what I do is buy my regular hair color, and only mix up a half a batch of it when I only touch up my roots. Pour half the developer and half the color into the Sally's mixing bottle. Then you can save the other halves for the next time since they are not mixed. I touch up my roots every three weeks also.

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

IveyGreen1353241029.11144 PostsRegistered 9/11/2012

Good for you. I have been using Loreal Multi tonal system this year. Its two steps including the highlights. I alternate two colors thus giving it a really natural color. My husband could not tell the difference from my last $150.00 salon trip. Even my mom gave me the ok. If I keep this up I will save a good deal. The kits are at Ulta and I buy them usually with coupons.

denise1231353241132.6951 PostsRegistered 4/2/2011
Thanks for the great tips. Question - the part of hair color you save for the next time, does it stay OK?

beautybee1353241250.9131088 PostsRegistered 1/11/2012

Excellent tip! I am going to try this. Thank you!

Brinklii1353241467.43310278 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI
On 11/18/2012 denise123 said: Thanks for the great tips. Question - the part of hair color you save for the next time, does it stay OK?

Yes...no problem, as long as it is not mixed. A friend of mine is a hair stylist, and she told me to do this.

Also...just go to the Dollar Tree or Walmart. You can buy bags of 100 of those disposable plastic gloves for $1.00 at the Dollar Tree.

Last edited on 11/18/2012

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

Southern F­ried Chick1353259567.8277179 PostsRegistered 11/17/2007

Great idea, and thank you! Who'da thunk?

Shelbelle1353259703.65334738 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have done this for years, only use half of both bottles and save rest. Can be stored indefinitely as long as both bottles are not mixed together.

Skylands1353259963.3576351 PostsRegistered 5/30/2010

It's just 'ok'. The color doesn't cover all of my root greys. It washes out with every shampoo you do. Lasts maybe a week 2 at the most. It's not recommended you do it more than I believe once a month.

The other down side is that you can't wash your hair when you go to wash out the root dye. You need to rinse it out with water. This isn't convenient. Tried it for a while and gave it up.

Shelbelle1353260049.15334738 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 11/18/2012 skylands said:

It's just 'ok'. The color doesn't cover all of my root greys. It washes out with every shampoo you do. Lasts maybe a week 2 at the most. It's not recommended you do it more than I believe once a month.

The other down side is that you can't wash your hair when you go to wash out the root dye. You need to rinse it out with water. This isn't convenient. Tried it for a while and gave it up.

I always wash my hair after coloring, always.

Nightowlz1353260683.9879706 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 11/18/2012 Tabbychic said:

StreetAngel ~~ That is similar to what I do...only I purchased my brush, trough, and a mixing bottle at Sally's. Then what I do is buy my regular hair color, and only mix up a half a batch of it when I only touch up my roots. Pour half the developer and half the color into the Sally's mixing bottle. Then you can save the other halves for the next time since they are not mixed. I touch up my roots every three weeks also.

That's what I do too.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

patheticco­smetics1353263175.51971 PostsRegistered 3/11/2009

I finally opened up my box that I paid $1.50 for. I really like the brush. It made the application so much easier & cleaner. I rinsed out the tray & brush & keeping them.

The color came out fantastic. It blends in with my hair & doesn't look like I've just done my grey hair. Didn't have that tell tale I've dyed my hair at the hairline look which I always get doing it myself.

Thumbs up for this product for me.

PinkyPetun­ia1353263914.2174558 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004NJ

I recently touched up my roots but I used a Revlon Colorsilk Root Erase kit. It had a sponge tip applicator and the whole process took 10 minutes. Turned out pretty good looking, I must say. I used Medium Golden Brown and it turned out well.

jazzbabe1353264098.572824 PostsRegistered 12/14/2007
On 11/18/2012 Shelbelle said:

I have done this for years, only use half of both bottles and save rest. Can be stored indefinitely as long as both bottles are not mixed together.

This is what I do and it works great for me.

SiameezeLo­ver!1353265087.6931830 PostsRegistered 5/5/2006Green Mountains :)
On 11/18/2012 IveyGreen said:

Good for you. I have been using Loreal Multi tonal system this year. Its two steps including the highlights. I alternate two colors thus giving it a really natural color. My husband could not tell the difference from my last $150.00 salon trip. Even my mom gave me the ok. If I keep this up I will save a good deal. The kits are at Ulta and I buy them usually with coupons.

I agree I used the Loreal Multi Tonal system earlier and was very happy - this coming from someone that had never colored my hair. I have to get my courage up again and do it again - thanks for reminding me of it :)

dionline1353266539.1272273 PostsRegistered 1/6/2008Central Florida

PinkyPetunia - the Revlon ColorSilk Root Erase kit is, by far, the easiest one to use!! Love that little 'bingo dauber' top it has, super, super easy. Only thing is, the entire kit of my ColorSilk is cheaper than the Root Erase kit. So I just buy another color kit and use that every 3 weeks. It's super simple and inexpensive since the whole kit is less than $3 at WalMart. I've even been finding coupons for it so it's even better these days.

Love my Revlon ColorSilk!!!

jacnit1353278251.9032199 PostsRegistered 3/1/2010

just did my root touch up today..mine's a little tricky as I have the Ombre (dark at the top w/blonde tips) I put a thick layer of conditioner on my blonde tips then used a pastry brush with Color Silk I got today at CVS for $3.00 (wish I'd know to only use half and keep the rest!) touched up the roots then made two small parts on each side of my normal part and touched up there as well as my "sideburns" lol it came out great...and to think I paid $50.00 for this one month ago! no way am i paying that every month when this is so easy....rinsed it out and the conditioner on the tips protected the blonde..looks great!! We are so smart aren't we{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

TY1353279588.724055 PostsRegistered 3/22/2007

The brushes from the Nice n Easy root touchup kits are nice and you can reuse them, I am not crazy about the teeny mixing tray though. I prefer the mixing bowls you can buy at Sally's Beauty. I also use half a box of Nice n Easy regular hair color to do my root touchups. You mix up half of the developer bleach and half of the color either in a bowl or use a clean, empty applicator bottle. You can buy empty bottles at Sally's or rinse out and save the old applicator bottle from a box of hair color. I seldom use all of those extra tubes of hair conditioners that come in the Nice n Easy kits but they are handy for traveling.

I always have a box of disposable gloves on hand, boxes of hair color come with 1 pair of disposable gloves only and they aren't the best. Also if you have a friend or relative helping you or if you go through more than 1 pair of disposable gloves, then more disposable gloves are a must.

Another tip for hair coloring your hair at home, wear a dark bathrobe when you color your hair, one that you don't care if dye gets on it. It's easy to remove the robe before you rinse your hair if you are rinsing your hair in the shower.

MsTrixi1353280015.171434 PostsRegistered 9/18/2006Menifee, California

Thanks for the tip. I always thought the leftover color solution would explode, didn't think to just use half. And it's good to know that if I keep it separated it will be okay.

I use WEN when I do the root-touch up kits. I don't like it as a regular shampoo, but it is nice and gentle after using the root-touch up when you are not supposed to shampoo.

"Getting old is not for sissies."
Bette Davis

feline fine1353299221.5233178 PostsRegistered 9/4/2012where Phillies fans rule

Thanks very much, Mary!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

And the rest of you hair coloring pros.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." ~ Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1