Back to School
117 Members and 12173 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Curious -- What does Retinol do for your skin????

Started 1352860239.277 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1353009870.447 by KatCat1

I know there are quite a few ladies that use it on this board. What actually is it suppose to do for your skin? Have you seen results? Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.Smile Reply, you pretty ladies.

Page 1 of 1
JeanLouise­Finch1352860954.5810229 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

*increases the rate of cell turnover
*builds collagen & produces elastin to plump up the skin and therefore diminishes fine lines & wrinkles
*treats acne and aids healing or facial skin injury
*softens facial skin while making it firmer and younger looking
*aids in pore reduction

I have definitely seen improvement in my complexion since starting on retinol early this past spring. When I saw my sister a few months into my revised skincare routine she made a comment complimenting my face and lack of wrinkles. She, on the other hand, has no skincare plan, goes to bed most of the time w/o even washing her face, is a sun-worshiper, smoker....and it all shows.

helping11352874486.181390 PostsRegistered 7/18/2010

I've never used a retinol as I have ultra-sensitive skin, but Paula B's site (beautypedia) has some tips on choosing a retinol. The site youtube has various videos by dermatologists and skin care specialists (estheticians) about the benefits of retinol, including possibly stimulating and reproducing collagen in the skin.

Over 40. Combo/sensitive skin. Tendency to get eczema.

Frannie1352875667.0231979 PostsRegistered 9/27/2006
On 11/13/2012 Just MeKP said:

*increases the rate of cell turnover
*builds collagen & produces elastin to plump up the skin and therefore diminishes fine lines & wrinkles
*treats acne and aids healing or facial skin injury
*softens facial skin while making it firmer and younger looking
*aids in pore reduction

I have definitely seen improvement in my complexion since starting on retinol early this past spring. When I saw my sister a few months into my revised skincare routine she made a comment complimenting my face and lack of wrinkles. She, on the other hand, has no skincare plan, goes to bed most of the time w/o even washing her face, is a sun-worshiper, smoker....and it all shows.

What exactly are you using? Glad you're seeing good results.

ritasNo1Fan1352880025.8831527 PostsRegistered 7/10/2006left coast

I love ROC and also Rite Aid's house brand! Sometimes Rite Aid has a 2 for the price of 1 deal. Dr. Graf over there on hsn also has an excellent product and so reasonable.

JeanLouise­Finch1352891535.72710229 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011
On 11/14/2012 Frannie said:
On 11/13/2012 Just MeKP said:

*increases the rate of cell turnover<br /> *builds collagen & produces elastin to plump up the skin and therefore diminishes fine lines & wrinkles<br /> *treats acne and aids healing or facial skin injury<br /> *softens facial skin while making it firmer and younger looking<br /> *aids in pore reduction<br /> <br /> I have definitely seen improvement in my complexion since starting on retinol early this past spring. When I saw my sister a few months into my revised skincare routine she made a comment complimenting my face and lack of wrinkles. She, on the other hand, has no skincare plan, goes to bed most of the time w/o even washing her face, is a sun-worshiper, smoker....and it all shows.

What exactly are you using? Glad you're seeing good results.

For a couple of years, I was using Philosophy's "Help Me" with modest results. I had other issues with Philosophy skincare products so I got off of them earlier this year. I ended up ordering the 1% All-Trans Retinol from NCN Skincare after reading a recommendation here - probably around June. It's not harsh at all and my skin took no time to acclamate to it. You only use a little bit so I still haven't used up the 2 oz. bottle I started with. About a month ago, I had some facial moles surgically removed at the dermatologist's office. After I got the stitches removed, she wrote a prescription for a .1% Tretinoin cream to aid in the healing and hopefully prevent scaring, but the bonus is the other benefits it provides. It's really strong, though, so I can't use it nightly yet - not sure if I ever will or if I'll even stay on it after the sites are completely healed. Right now I use it every 2 nights and then I still use the 1% All-Trans on the nights in between. The only night I don't use any retinol product is Saturday night because I do my peel on Sunday mornings.


***One thing I neglected to mention in my first post that really should be addressed is that it is recommended that women who are in their child bearing years should not use retinol, if they are pregnant or could become pregnant. Oral retinol (Vitamin A) can cross the placenta, putting the baby at risk of having severe birth defects if mom is taking too much. Topical retinol won't do that as often, as absorption is a lot less through the skin, but there still is some degree of risk, even if a mild one, so those women should double check with their doctors before assuming it's OK to use it. That goes for nursing moms as well.

Secondly, retinol increases the skin's sensitivity to sunlight and burning so it should only be used at night and users should always use an SPF during the day.

Lastly, users who also include an alpha hydroxy acid/glycolic acid treatment as part of their skincare regimen should only use the AHA in the daytime. Retinol & AHA's do not work well together and essentially make each other ineffective.

HTH

Neytiri1352894205.3471247 PostsRegistered 6/28/2012The Hallelujah Floating Mountains of Pandora

I use 10x retinol by skin dimensins. I get it from the derm but you can buy it online. LOVE it. I have very sensitive skin and have used this brand for almost two years with NO problems. I used a lot of retinol products from brands like philosophy. I noticed even more of a difference when I started using this one from the derm.

Jake, Awah has heard you!

MopsyGirl1352900496.8532575 PostsRegistered 2/15/2008

Someone on this board once said that retinol essentially stops the aging process, and that's what it's done for me. I've used Alpha Hydroxy ResQ for about 8 years now and I think my skin is about where it was at that time. I do have more wrinkles around my eyes, but less than what my siblings who are younger than me have. It has helped with acne as well. I agree with the previous post that it shouldn't be used during pregnancy/nursing without approval from your doctor. I only use it at night and always, always wear spf 30 or above during the day.

TheKateMei­ster1352913792.3372248 PostsRegistered 4/25/2012The Land of Pleasant Living
Well, I'm 29 and just started using retinol this year (philosophy Help Me) and boy have I seen a difference! Before, I always wondered why makeup never really looked all the great on me, despite the use of a primer, etc. It just never went on smoothly. THEN the retinol - and now I can't believe how smooth my skin is! It's unbelievable. Plus, I was just starting to see forehead lines and they are much less noticeable than they were prior to my retinol usage. It really is one of the best things I've done for my skin.

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours." ~ Wayne Dyer

30-ish; thick, straight hair; combo/oily skin.

lovestodan­ce1352914431.644872 PostsRegistered 6/12/2006
On 11/14/2012 helping1 said:

I've never used a retinol as I have ultra-sensitive skin, but Paula B's site (beautypedia) has some tips on choosing a retinol. The site youtube has various videos by dermatologists and skin care specialists (estheticians) about the benefits of retinol, including possibly stimulating and reproducing collagen in the skin.

I too have very sensitive fair skin.. Have tried it years ago.. My face got so red,and inflamed.

Would never consider using it again....

helping11352914694.0331390 PostsRegistered 7/18/2010
On 11/14/2012 lovestodance said:
On 11/14/2012 helping1 said:

I've never used a retinol as I have ultra-sensitive skin, but Paula B's site (beautypedia) has some tips on choosing a retinol. The site youtube has various videos by dermatologists and skin care specialists (estheticians) about the benefits of retinol, including possibly stimulating and reproducing collagen in the skin.

I too have very sensitive fair skin.. Have tried it years ago.. My face got so red,and inflamed.

Would never consider using it again....


Thank you for your input and confirmation ;) I'm worried that my face will start burning and stinging due to the potency of the retinols, so I've avoided them.

Over 40. Combo/sensitive skin. Tendency to get eczema.

Ladyjenn1352914960.7532199 PostsRegistered 10/27/2010Northern CA

Definitely increases cell turnover. Love retinol. I have the eye cream from Neutrogena, various Alpha Hydrox products and also am loving Dr. Jeanette Graff's retinol body creme. I have those KP bumps on my arms and this cream is a life saver. The only thing that smooths them out. LOVE IT. Always have a 9 oz tub on hand!

Momma to 2 Dachshunds and 1 Bernese Mountain Dog!
45 yrs old, Northern CA
Ladyjenn

sharlee1352916590.283911 PostsRegistered 6/13/2006

I have been using the Continuous Results line by Elayda for about three months now, and I'm very happy with what I'm seeing. Retinol definitely gets me visible improvements.

This is a "steps" program for retinol users. The first two months, you start with Level One, and then your next delivery will be Level Two, and so on. The theory is that it's better to start out slow, and then increase your dosage gradually; that way you're less likely to experience the negative side effects. You also have the option of customizing your shipments - you can skip levels if you feel you need to, and decide which products you want in your shipments.

Also, one problem with retinol in the past has been guarding the potency of the product. This product dispenses from a can as a nice foam, which is easy and pleasant to apply.

If you're interested in trying a retinol and are concerned with sensitivity issues, etc., I would recommend checking out the website (easily found via Google).

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

KHJ1352919377.957381 PostsRegistered 11/14/2008

thanks for asking this question. I always thought the best retinol to use was straight retinol from the derm's office (an RX)? My derm recommended it to me last visit but I never got it. My insurance doesn't pay for it since I'm out of my teen years and its considered cosmetic use only.

I did want to say I had a large sample of Topix Replenix All Trans Retinol Smoothing Serum 3X, and I loved it. I have debated buying it full size but haven't. It had green tea mixed in and was so soothing. I know it comes in other strengths as well...but I keep telling myself I'm just going to use the retinol that the derm recommended so I haven't bought it.

Does anyone use straight up Retin-A?

JeanLouise­Finch1352920343.03310229 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011
On 11/14/2012 KHJ said:

thanks for asking this question. I always thought the best retinol to use was straight retinol from the derm's office (an RX)? My derm recommended it to me last visit but I never got it. My insurance doesn't pay for it since I'm out of my teen years and its considered cosmetic use only.

I did want to say I had a large sample of Topix Replenix All Trans Retinol Smoothing Serum 3X, and I loved it. I have debated buying it full size but haven't. It had green tea mixed in and was so soothing. I know it comes in other strengths as well...but I keep telling myself I'm just going to use the retinol that the derm recommended so I haven't bought it.

Does anyone use straight up Retin-A?

Retin-A is the brand name for the drug "tretinoin", which is what my derm prescribed for me. (posted above)

cassiem1352920559.8876666 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 11/14/2012 TheKateMeister said: Well, I'm 29 and just started using retinol this year (philosophy Help Me) and boy have I seen a difference! Before, I always wondered why makeup never really looked all the great on me, despite the use of a primer, etc. It just never went on smoothly. THEN the retinol - and now I can't believe how smooth my skin is! It's unbelievable. Plus, I was just starting to see forehead lines and they are much less noticeable than they were prior to my retinol usage. It really is one of the best things I've done for my skin.

Kate, if you like Help Me, then check out Alpha Hydrox Retinol ResQ. The amount of retinol is the same and the ingredients are virtually identical, but the AH is a larger tube for around $15!

cassiem1352920836.146666 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 11/14/2012 helping1 said:
On 11/14/2012 lovestodance said:
On 11/14/2012 helping1 said:

I've never used a retinol as I have ultra-sensitive skin, but Paula B's site (beautypedia) has some tips on choosing a retinol. The site youtube has various videos by dermatologists and skin care specialists (estheticians) about the benefits of retinol, including possibly stimulating and reproducing collagen in the skin.

I too have very sensitive fair skin.. Have tried it years ago.. My face got so red,and inflamed.

Would never consider using it again....


Thank you for your input and confirmation ;) I'm worried that my face will start burning and stinging due to the potency of the retinols, so I've avoided them.

Everyone with sensitive skin is different of course, but I have extremely sensitive skin and have been using retinoids successfully under my dermatologist's care for many years. The secret is in choosing a lower strength retinol, buffering it first with a non-active moisturizer, and using only once a week to start. Retinol can actually help make sensitive skin become less reactive and fragile by building collagen and making it stronger. A time released retinol (like AH Retinol ResQ and Philosophy Help Me) are also gentler to the skin. Retinol is one case where stronger is not necessarily better, especially with sensitive skin. Also, I have never been able to tolerate retinol around my eyes, but can use it everywhere else on my face.

Harpa1352931673.087373 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

I don't think anyone mentioned that it helps to balance out oily skin.

TheKateMei­ster1353000498.8732248 PostsRegistered 4/25/2012The Land of Pleasant Living
Cassie, thank you for the heads-up on Res-Q! I think someone recommended it to me before, but I could not remember the name - thanks so much! And Harpa, ITA about balancing out oily skin. That's one benefit I forgot to mention. Huge difference for me there as well.

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours." ~ Wayne Dyer

30-ish; thick, straight hair; combo/oily skin.

Vamp1353003045.8411225 PostsRegistered 3/9/2007

I just started using it on the advice of my dermatologist after I complained that the skin on my upper chest was starting to show age. She told me to go to the drugstore and get something with retinol in it. I didn't think I could use it because I, too, have sensitive skin, but after using it for about a month, I am having no problems.

Mirage081353003626.4032800 PostsRegistered 1/16/2009

For me it has seriously helped clear up my skin and keeps it nice and smooth. I had stopped using the ResQ one because I was trying a different night time product. I had a cluster of 3 breakouts on my cheek that would not go away. Added the ResQ back into my night time routine and they were almost gone the next morning. So I learned my lesson lol.

Last edited on 11/15/2012

Last edited on 11/15/2012

Adelm1353003911.74531 PostsRegistered 4/3/2009

It's basically a "slow" chemical peel. It works wonders for skin if you can tolerate it.

I, unfortunately, can't tolerate it. Causes pretty severe perioral dermatitis on my skin and the disrupted barrier takes a long time to heal.

Neytiri1353008022.1431247 PostsRegistered 6/28/2012The Hallelujah Floating Mountains of Pandora
On 11/14/2012 cassiem said:
On 11/14/2012 helping1 said:
On 11/14/2012 lovestodance said:
On 11/14/2012 helping1 said:

I've never used a retinol as I have ultra-sensitive skin, but Paula B's site (beautypedia) has some tips on choosing a retinol. The site youtube has various videos by dermatologists and skin care specialists (estheticians) about the benefits of retinol, including possibly stimulating and reproducing collagen in the skin.

I too have very sensitive fair skin.. Have tried it years ago.. My face got so red,and inflamed.

Would never consider using it again....


Thank you for your input and confirmation ;) I'm worried that my face will start burning and stinging due to the potency of the retinols, so I've avoided them.

Everyone with sensitive skin is different of course, but I have extremely sensitive skin and have been using retinoids successfully under my dermatologist's care for many years. The secret is in choosing a lower strength retinol, buffering it first with a non-active moisturizer, and using only once a week to start. Retinol can actually help make sensitive skin become less reactive and fragile by building collagen and making it stronger. A time released retinol (like AH Retinol ResQ and Philosophy Help Me) are also gentler to the skin. Retinol is one case where stronger is not necessarily better, especially with sensitive skin. Also, I have never been able to tolerate retinol around my eyes, but can use it everywhere else on my face.

Exactly! I started under the recommendation of my derm. I too have/had extremely sensitive skin. I started with the lowest strength every third day. I gradually worked up to daily and to higher doses. I started with 1x and currently use 10x every day. Sometimes I take a night off before a peel or just to use an oil or moisture mask.

Jake, Awah has heard you!

KatCat11353009870.44716552 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

Thank all you ladies for this useful information. I appreciate it.

Kat

Page 1 of 1