New Holiday Decor
138 Members and 17817 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

More Sephora Friends and Family information

Started 1350500737.95 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1351121041.787 by Karsa

I went to my local Sephora today and quietly asked one of the sales associates about the friends and family sale starting tomorrow. She was very secretive and quiet about it and said she might be able to find me a card. She went to the back and finally came out with one. I had to tell them my name to be written on the card and they acted like it was a very secretive thing. We actually had to whisper about it.

The card calls it "Employee Appreciation 2012" and it is for 20% of a single purchase between 10/18-10/31. There is an on-line code to use and a bar code to be scanned in store. I don't know if that means you can make one purchase on-line and one purchase in the store.

They said that they weren't going to allow people to make multiple purchases with 20% off like last year. I asked about a VIB event and she said they were "working on it" - whatever that means.

I do not think an email will go out tomorrow. Your best bet is to get to a Sephora store and quietly and nicely ask a sales associate for a card.

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next
LovemyBE1350501196.2925474 PostsRegistered 7/11/2008

All I can say is, they are only hurting themselves. I know if I don't get 20% off, I won't be buying one single thing.

Always end the day with a positive thought. No matter how hard things were, tomorrow's a fresh opportunity to make it better.

Daisypap1350501481.697223 PostsRegistered 6/6/2006

I agree - I think it is ridiculous. I have received 20% of Friends and Family coupons from Pottery Barn, Ulta, Kiehl's, Banana Republic, Gap, etc. Everyone does it. I don't know why they are being so stingy this year. If they had not given me a card, I would have just bought everything I needed at Ulta.

morzie1350501550.207212 PostsRegistered 1/15/2011

You are right about them hurting themselves! Skinstore.com is have 20% off right now with 12% with Mr. Rebates and 11% ebates! There you go!!! Ulta sent a card out too with 20% off too!

Skylands1350501628.7076337 PostsRegistered 5/30/2010

Sephora is the worst! Why play these kind of games? Who has time for this? I called the website and they gave me a 'clueless' answer! "We don't have a F&F sale going on".

Sephora, you aren't the only game in town. Quit playing with us!!!!!!

LovemyBE1350501629.2825474 PostsRegistered 7/11/2008

Well, there's also the VIB discount, but with my luck, what I want will be sold out before then. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Always end the day with a positive thought. No matter how hard things were, tomorrow's a fresh opportunity to make it better.

BellaCarro1350501677.9638210 PostsRegistered 10/1/2011Atlanta

Too many alternatives to chase after Sephora's once a year "deal".

HappyDaze1350501824.97316696 PostsRegistered 6/13/2012

The emails will be going out, I have no doubt.

But like BellaCarro said, too many other alternatives to chase around the Sephora sale. Other sites have 20% off several times a year. I just realized there is nothing on Sephora's site I can't get anywhere else except some of their special kits, none of which interest me at this point.

ladikara1350502034.923118 PostsRegistered 11/6/2006San Francisco Bay Area

I remember last year a hullabaloo about it being a secret thing. People got mad at Sephora and in the end we were able to enter our email address on the Sephora website and we got the coupon. I am like others, I think we will get the 20% off without jumping through hoops.

cassiem1350502221.8776831 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Maybe I'm just playing devil's advocate, but I know from SAs at my local Sephora who have worked there for years that the event is supposed to be by invitation only for friends and families of Sephora employees. Sort of a perk for working there, you could hand out the cards to people you know so they could get a discount. Hence the name "friends and family" sale.

What happened was that people started posting the discount codes on-line so that Sephora was flooded with orders from people. People placed multiple huge orders. A nice little perk for employees turned into a circus with so many orders being placed that the system kept crashing and the inventory/distribution/mailing system couldn't keep pace with the orders. Then the complaints started: what I wanted was sold out, it said the item was available when I placed my order and now I'm told it's out of stock, the items I placed in my cart and saved are no longer there, it's taking too long to get my order. It's turned into a major headache for Sephora.

As consumers, it's not our right to get a discount, it's a perk of being a customer. A company has every right to limit a sale however they wish. And I say that as someone who has never received a card from an employee.

musicgrl1350502469.0031075 PostsRegistered 11/28/2008Suburban Detroit

And there is prolly too much hoarding and returning during their once a year bonanza! LOL!

ID21350502714.4832272 PostsRegistered 6/25/2012

Sometimes by "liking" a store on Facebook gets you added perks (ie. possibly 20% off).

Love my "Pure Michigan"

Mirage081350503207.2932912 PostsRegistered 1/16/2009

They do this every year. Don't know why since this is when a lot people get items that they want and/or stock up certain items. So even though consumers get a discount, I'm sure it's still a big money maker for them. Oh well. If you like certain brands I say wait until they have their own friends and family sale. This back and forth with Sephora is too much.

itsMe1350503288.0273739 PostsRegistered 5/1/2008Sunny South Florida
On 10/17/2012 HappyDaze said:

I disagree- I've been shopping with Sephora for years and they've had their Friends and Family promo for several years now and it was always available to us, the regular Joe Schmo.

Sorry HappyDaze, I have to disagree with you. I've been an insider for 5 years.... I know that because I just got an email from them telling me it's been 5 years..... and I've never gotten an invitation to their FF sale. The only way I've known about it is from this BB. Thank you to all who post about it!

HappyDaze1350503543.31316696 PostsRegistered 6/13/2012
On 10/17/2012 itsMe said:
On 10/17/2012 HappyDaze said:

I disagree- I've been shopping with Sephora for years and they've had their Friends and Family promo for several years now and it was always available to us, the regular Joe Schmo.

Sorry HappyDaze, I have to disagree with you. I've been an insider for 5 years.... I know that because I just got an email from them telling me it's been 5 years..... and I've never gotten an invitation to their FF sale. The only way I've known about it is from this BB. Thank you to all who post about it!

I have been too and got the email for celebrating my five years with them as a VIB. I have my emails from past years with the Friends and Family discount. I am sorry that you did not get your emails and not sure why you didn't but I do have them so I know I personally did get the discount codes sent to me. I've also gotten them in the mail the first two years.

It doesn't really matter. It seems like some got them and some didn't for whatever reason. I've personally always gotten them and I did not know anyone that worked there.

Last edited on 10/17/2012

Last edited on 10/17/2012

Alter Ego1350503567.3131839 PostsRegistered 8/23/2007Chicago
On 10/17/2012 morzie said:

You are right about them hurting themselves! Skinstore.com is have 20% off right now with 12% with Mr. Rebates and 11% ebates! There you go!!! Ulta sent a card out too with 20% off too!

I noticed that, at Skinstore, some of the items I used to get 20% off are now excluded. I don't mean to defend Sephora, but I wonder if they've been getting feedback from their vendors. The particular brand in question is also sold at Sephora.

scottygal1350503613.0331849 PostsRegistered 4/6/2006

Sorry itsMe, VIB here, and I've been getting the 20% for years (e-mail AND a snail mail card-every year!)

itsMe1350504722.5373739 PostsRegistered 5/1/2008Sunny South Florida

HappyDaze and scottygal, it must be a VIB vs BI thing. As a long standing BI, I don't get these. As I said, I'm really grateful to this board for keeping us all informed!

dal1350505979.2973602 PostsRegistered 11/15/2007Indiana

Seriously we go through this every year; at least the last 3 years that I've seen people get all upset thinking they need to "know an employee" or they won't be able to get the discount and every year the sale happens for everybody. No big deal really, because in the end they want the sales and if not there somewhere else. It will all be just fine!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

erica g1350507952.6733575 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004So Cal
On 10/17/2012 dal said:

Seriously we go through this every year; at least the last 3 years that I've seen people get all upset thinking they need to "know an employee" or they won't be able to get the discount and every year the sale happens for everybody. No big deal really, because in the end they want the sales and if not there somewhere else. It will all be just fine!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I was thinking the EXACT same thing.

angiel1350512057.35131 PostsRegistered 2/27/2007

Dear Sephora,

Since you are being so Lame about the F&F sale this year, I'll be taking my list of stuff to buy to Ulta since I received a 20% off the "Entire" store coupon in the mail yesterday.

NewerName1350512301.4671237 PostsRegistered 5/10/2012
On 10/17/2012 angiel said:

Dear Sephora,

Since you are being so Lame about the F&F sale this year, I'll be taking my list of stuff to buy to Ulta since I received a 20% off the "Entire" store coupon in the mail yesterday.

Big second from me. I was going to buy the urban decay naked palette from sephora but now I'm going to ulta with my 20% coupon this weekend.

silver fox1350513263.743212 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 10/17/2012 cassiem said:

Maybe I'm just playing devil's advocate, but I know from SAs at my local Sephora who have worked there for years that the event is supposed to be by invitation only for friends and families of Sephora employees. Sort of a perk for working there, you could hand out the cards to people you know so they could get a discount. Hence the name "friends and family" sale.

What happened was that people started posting the discount codes on-line so that Sephora was flooded with orders from people. People placed multiple huge orders. A nice little perk for employees turned into a circus with so many orders being placed that the system kept crashing and the inventory/distribution/mailing system couldn't keep pace with the orders. Then the complaints started: what I wanted was sold out, it said the item was available when I placed my order and now I'm told it's out of stock, the items I placed in my cart and saved are no longer there, it's taking too long to get my order. It's turned into a major headache for Sephora.

As consumers, it's not our right to get a discount, it's a perk of being a customer. A company has every right to limit a sale however they wish. And I say that as someone who has never received a card from an employee.

Cassiem - very well stated! I agree with you. I have enjoyed the F&F at Sephora and will not stop shopping with them if they do not offer it again. They have the right to offer this or not and put any stipulations that they want on it.

NewerName1350513972.161237 PostsRegistered 5/10/2012
On 10/17/2012 silver fox said:
On 10/17/2012 cassiem said:

Cassiem - very well stated! I agree with you. I have enjoyed the F&F at Sephora and will not stop shopping with them if they do not offer it again. They have the right to offer this or not and put any stipulations that they want on it.

You are both correct, but then we as the consumers have the option of taking our business elsewhere if we are offered better deals by other businesses. I really want the UD naked palette and can now get it at ulta this weekend with my 20% off coupon I received today in the mail. I would otherwise have purchased it at sephora but no sale = no purchase.

katkitty1350514029.044729 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007

Dear Sephora,

I got a 20% off the entire store coupon [in store and online] to use today and I wanted to purchase some Butter London to the tune of about $60. Nope, coupon did not work, "items not eligible for promotion". I even tried the cheesy $3.50 off $10.00 coupon and it told me that I didn't purchase enough to use that one either [?????].

I even went back and read that it included full price, sale & clearance merchandise. Then it went on to list about 3 brands of stuff that was not eligible and then just said some other 'high priced' brands were not included too, but didn't list any more.

I hate it when Ulta does this. Ends up being 20% off of nothing I want because they nit pick so much.

NewerName1350514216.2271237 PostsRegistered 5/10/2012
On 10/17/2012 katkitty said:

Dear Sephora,

Since you are being so <em>Lame</em> about the F&F sale this year, I'll be taking my list of stuff to buy to Ulta since I received a 20% off the "Entire" store coupon in the mail yesterday.

I got a 20% off the entire store coupon [in store and online] to use today and I wanted to purchase some Butter London to the tune of about $60. Nope, coupon did not work, "items not eligible for promotion". I even tried the cheesy $3.50 off $10.00 coupon and it told me that I didn't purchase enough to use that one either [?????].

I even went back and read that it included full price, sale & clearance merchandise. Then it went on to list about 3 brands of stuff that was not eligible and then just said some other 'high priced' brands were not included too, but didn't list any more.

I hate it when Ulta does this. Ends up being 20% off of nothing I want because they nit pick so much.

KatKitty, I believe that code/coupon don't start until Saturday.

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next