TSV(R) Preview
18 Members and 15908 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Finally someone gets it!

Started 1350441946.143 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1350939673.783 by MrsSweetieBear

I am thrilled all of the drs. in my network I use have signs posted in their offices BOLDLY on the front door and other areas through out the area.

For the sake of others who may be allergic - please refrain from wearing any perfume, hairspray or other toiletry products to your appointment with us!

Your perfume may smell nice on you BUT not to others!

We thankk you for your understanding!!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Page 1 of 5
LuvsLabs1350443777.9432227 PostsRegistered 7/2/2012

You said it...finally. I am allergic to perfume and have to have my magazines sent scent free (without the perfume strips) or my hands will break out. People who wear perfume can't smell it on them and I think that's why they apply so much. But others can certainly smell it. If you are in close quarters, say on the bus, it can be overbearing.

MrsSweetie­Bear1350444048.9776511 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Somewhere UNDER the rainbow

Yes, my perfume smells nice ON me, so I don't spray it on others.

My favorite people are dogs, and
Dogs are my favorite people.

patty1350444368.72171 PostsRegistered 3/12/2007
Lol good luck with that. I will be wearing the toiletries of my choice.

Cosmetics_­Crazy1350445504.5271094 PostsRegistered 5/21/2011

I am pleased that makes you happy, although that does not happen to be the trend where I live and work.

I travel 3+ hours one way to see my doctor, and if I were turned away I would have a FIT!!! Not to mention, frequently people cannot tell 'what' it is that they are smelling. More than once I have been complimented on the 'scent' I happened to be wearing. I just giggle when I tell them that it is powder fresh Secret! I have also been complimented wearing Eau de Big Sexy Hair :)

imaclothes­hog1350445609.322288 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006
On 10/16/2012 patty said: Lol good luck with that. I will be wearing the toiletries of my choice.

ITA. I can't believe there are people that think they can tell other people what toiletries they can or can't use.

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

sparklestar1350445624.810715 PostsRegistered 1/6/2008
On 10/16/2012 patty said: Lol good luck with that. I will be wearing the toiletries of my choice.

Smile me too.

What's next? Refrain from using scented soap!

Last edited on 10/16/2012

Last edited on 10/16/2012

PurpleCow1350446170.053687 PostsRegistered 8/15/2009colorado, baby!!

although I think this is a nice idea to tell people to tone their perfume-use down... honestly I would rather be suffocated by bad perfume than the stench of cigarette smoke-- what kind of sign is going to stop that from happening? :-( none

ヽ༼ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ༽ノ

Shopping m­omma1350447834.735 PostsRegistered 10/16/2012
It would appear to me that none of you having any breathing problems or you wouldn't have such a attitude about a sign. I for one am thankful for these signs especially at my allergist or pulmonary doctor. Such scents can actually send a person with asthma into an attack, an can cause death. So yes it is not them just being an infringement on your rights but protecting those around you. Please think of others before you whine about rights infringement. Wow unbelievable to some of these remarks. Very selfish.

oceanair1350449819.557493 PostsRegistered 3/23/2005
On 10/16/2012 Shopping momma said: It would appear to me that none of you having any breathing problems or you wouldn't have such a attitude about a sign. I for one am thankful for these signs especially at my allergist or pulmonary doctor. Such scents can actually send a person with asthma into an attack, an can cause death. So yes it is not them just being an infringement on your rights but protecting those around you. Please think of others before you whine about rights infringement. Wow unbelievable to some of these remarks. Very selfish.

This slippery slope of what I can and cannot do based on your life is not one that I will agree with.

I am sorry for those with health issues, as I myself suffer too, but I would never tell someone to change their lifestyle to accomdate me. If perfume or smells could cause my immediate death, then I would take full responsiblity to make sure that I would be wearing a mask when I went out in public.

Shopping m­omma1350450222.10735 PostsRegistered 10/16/2012
I would not advocate all places but doctors offices where you are likely to encounter those with issues umm.. Yes.. If not then it should be ok to smoke in doctors offices as well now wouldn't it? Seriously people.. Wow

KatCat11350452854.12717344 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

There is a sign up at my lung doctor's office but so far that is the only one I have seen. Yes, some perfume can be very offensive if it's strong. I really don't know why women want to wear a perfume that is wearing them and enters the room before they do.

tessan1350453729.991211 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007
On 10/16/2012 KatCat1 said:

There is a sign up at my lung doctor's office but so far that is the only one I have seen. Yes, some perfume can be very offensive if it's strong. I really don't know why women want to wear a perfume that is wearing them and enters the room before they do.

that's what happens when someone has been wearing a scent for a long time, they can no longer smell it, so they put more on until they can. It's pretty bad when the smell lingers in the hall long after they have left.

MrsSweetie­Bear1350464234.2076511 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Somewhere UNDER the rainbow

Most of us can use both common sense and common courtesy when going out and about on our daily appointments, medical or otherwise. I don't need to be ordered not to douse myself in my strongest scent when going to certain types of health professionals.

My favorite people are dogs, and
Dogs are my favorite people.

tototwo1350472906.0532645 PostsRegistered 2/8/2008Great Plains

It's just common courtesy and consideration for others to not wear perfumes or highly fragranced toiletries to a doctor's office. Too bad they need to post signs -- and too bad most ladies insist on ignoring those signs.

There are places/events where it's proper to wear perfumes, and there are places where it's not proper. Ladies should know the difference.

MrsSweetieBear ~ can't help but notice your sig. You probably live under the rainbow in the same general vacinity that I do. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

fromthebro­nx1350482906.2931084 PostsRegistered 2/22/2011

I am totally on board with this for allergists and pulmonologists, but I work in a women's health facility. Personally, I like it when patients wear deodorant and fragrance. Especially deodorant. Like PurpleCow above, I would prefer to have my office scented by a perfume than by cigarette smoke or alcohol. I can understand where it would be a problem for some, tho.

Icegoddess1350486333.4271638 PostsRegistered 3/19/2010

I stopped wearing perfume because the lady that sat next to me in choir was allergic. I had no problem doing that. Regrettably, the lady who sat on the other side of her refused to not wear her perfume. Invariably, the allergic lady would have coughing fits and eventually left the choir.

I am sensitive to strong scents, but not allergic. They can give me headaches if I am exposed to them for long periods of time. I enjoy the scents of my body wash, shampoo, etc. but they dissipate quickly. I hate that my deodorant apparently doesn't come in unscented anymore. I really hate getting a whiff of it now and then. It's not a bad scent; I just don't like it.

Anonymous1­9701350487078.47460 PostsRegistered 1/23/2011

My guess is that these signs will not remain up for very long. While this may be well-meaning, it is going to backfire in a big way. This is not going to catch on like wildfire.

KatherineW1350487254.24728130 PostsRegistered 3/16/2009Alabamian by Birth; Southern By The Grace of God

My orthopaedist had one up a few years ago but it was taken down after a month or so.

helping11350488113.9471426 PostsRegistered 7/18/2010

How wonderful that those doctors are sensitive to those with allergies to various chemicals and smells, such as myself ;) I don't typically wear fragrance these days due to my allergies and asthma, but I wouldn't have hesitated to wash off a fragrance from my wrist (or any other areas) if it was offensive to the person next to me. It's kind of like Karma for me - you get what you give :)

Over 40. Combo/sensitive skin. Tendency to get eczema.

oceanair1350488645.8493 PostsRegistered 3/23/2005
On 10/17/2012 tototwo said:

It's just common courtesy and consideration for others to not wear perfumes or highly fragranced toiletries to a doctor's office. Too bad they need to post signs -- and too bad most ladies insist on ignoring those signs.

There are places/events where it's proper to wear perfumes, and there are places where it's not proper. Ladies should know the difference.

MrsSweetieBear ~ can't help but notice your sig. You probably live under the rainbow in the same general vacinity that I do. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

You prove my point about the slippery slope when you say there are places and events where it's proper, but whom is it that would determine such places?

I agree, people need to be respectable and always appropriate, but I don't need to be regulated on where and when I wear a scent.

donovan1350489030.28717 PostsRegistered 9/22/2005

Once I'm at the dr office it would be too late as I would have already washed, hairsprayed, and spritz. I guess I would know for any additional appts.

I get the perfume part, but I use hairspray just a bit on my hair and I have a scented bodywash. I'm not sure how hours later that would affect anyone.

happy hous­ewife1350489128.70332604 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
On 10/16/2012 Shopping momma said: It would appear to me that none of you having any breathing problems or you wouldn't have such a attitude about a sign. I for one am thankful for these signs especially at my allergist or pulmonary doctor. Such scents can actually send a person with asthma into an attack, an can cause death. So yes it is not them just being an infringement on your rights but protecting those around you. Please think of others before you whine about rights infringement. Wow unbelievable to some of these remarks. Very selfish.

Yeah really. Actually if people have on the proper amount of scent it shouldn't bother anyone in a waiting room, but, unfortunately, some folks appear to bathe in the stuff.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

happy hous­ewife1350489438.02332604 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

I believe that often doctors post these signs because one of the staff has the allergy. You have to get very close to a person to do a BP or listen to a chest with a stethscope etc.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

LipstickDi­va1350489457.66739164 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

Generally when I have a dr's appointment, I am coming from work or it's during my work hours. I always wear body lotion and fragrance and I will continue to do so.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

Yahooey1350490290.164583 PostsRegistered 7/9/2010

Unfornately, many are confusing fragrance to room fresheners.

When is it too much? I swim laps in a chlorinated pool - a person enters the pool at 7:45 in the morning and I smelt it when he or she entered the facility - who needs that much fragrance that it kills the scent of the chlorine and that early in the morning.

Page 1 of 5