Shoes & Handbags Offers
137 Members and 11926 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

MAKEUP FOR WOMEN IN THEIR 50'S 60'S AND 70'S

Started 1349406759.323 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1349446377.973 by fromthebronx

I'm trying to find a good foundation either powder or cream and primer. I will be 60 in a few months.

I've tried Dalton and Smashbox in cream and it brings out my pores. I don't have large pores however this cream makes them look large.

Any suggestions ladies? {#emotions_dlg.bored}

Page 1 of 1
JeanLouise­Finch1349407141.41310651 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

I'm 55 and recently tried Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation for the first time. I really like it and like applying with the brush that came with the set. In order to camoflage the look of large pores, use wide, flat headed makeup brush and go in small circles, both directions, until your entire face is done and all the makeup is distributed and blended in.

bunjetto1349407937.042725 PostsRegistered 11/2/2006

64 here and all I use is Smashbox Halo for foundation... anything else I have tried shows every pore known to mankind on my face.{#emotions_dlg.laugh} I also just purchased Mally's Natural Color kit and love it! Oh I do use Smashbox primer... I like the hydrating one. HTH PS Bare Minerals new Stroke of Light LOVE works as a concealer too. Use it under my eyes. For the first time today I just tried Smashbox undereye hydrating primer .... nice.

vw vixen1349410700.5073477 PostsRegistered 9/4/2008Arizona
On 10/4/2012 Just MeKP said:

I'm 55 and recently tried Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation for the first time. I really like it and like applying with the brush that came with the set. In order to camoflage the look of large pores, use wide, flat headed makeup brush and go in small circles, both directions, until your entire face is done and all the makeup is distributed and blended in.

I'm debating on trying this or UD Naked the next time I buy foundation. I'm 49, skin is pretty good but have a few sun/age spots that I'd like to cover. Back in the olden days, we laid out in baby oil and had no idea what sunscreen was. I was a beach kid. I started using sunscreen in my late 20's and avoid sun exposure like the plague now. But I really wish I could talk to my younger self and explain that someday who has the darkest tan among your friends won't matter so much.

~Janet~

Hitchens' Razor ~ "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

MrsSweetie­Bear1349410711.896397 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Somewhere UNDER the rainbow

There was another thread asking about powder foundation. I contributed with my favorite mineral powder foundation. I'm lazy so here's a c&p of my post.

"Powder foundation to me means mineral foundation. Mineral foundation to me means true minerals not the stuff all the big companies are making to jump on the mineral band wagon.

So, my answer is, # 1 Cory Cosmetics. She is a small on line indy co. She has several formulas but my HG foundation is her Mica Blend.

#2 goes to Meow Cosmetics."

I didn't give my other favorite on that thread since it's a liquid or cream - Dermacia. I think you can buy it at spas, or some derm doc offices? They might still have a website. I buy it on eBay.

My favorite people are dogs, and
Dogs are my favorite people.

Blondelle1349412205.6274207 PostsRegistered 8/4/2007

Try the L'Oreal Repair Absolute cream foundation. Great skincare ingredients + hylauronic acid which keeps the skin moist. It has nice, natural coverage, gives a nice finish to the skin, and doesn't accentuate pores or lines. Has a non chemical, full spectrum, SPF of 16.

MrsSweetie­Bear1349412250.9176397 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Somewhere UNDER the rainbow

Meant to add that I am in my 60s.

My favorite people are dogs, and
Dogs are my favorite people.

KatCat11349413174.05716845 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

I am 62 and I use Clarins Ever Matte SPF 15 liquid foundation. $32 I love it. Light to medium coverage. L'Oreal also makes very good liquid foundations (True Match). Powder foundations will age you so I would stay away from them. For a primer I use L'Oreal. It works just fine but when I use it up I may try another drugstore brand to compare the two. Another foundation you may like is Josie Maran's Matchmaker liquid foundation. I hope this helped a little. You know, if I had the money and know how, I would start a cosmetic co. for women that are 50 and over as our needs are definitely different than a 20 year old.

Last edited on 10/4/2012

Last edited on 10/4/2012

doglover31349421772.459547 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 10/4/2012 Blondelle said:

Try the L'Oreal Repair Absolute cream foundation. Great skincare ingredients + hylauronic acid which keeps the skin moist. It has nice, natural coverage, gives a nice finish to the skin, and doesn't accentuate pores or lines. Has a non chemical, full spectrum, SPF of 16.

also highly recommend this one. I have a light medium complexion and wear 135 sand beige and is perfect. I put it on around 4:30 to 5 PM and take it off around 6:30 AM. Blondelle is so right, doesn't settle into or show up fine lines/wrinkles or pores. I love this one and have tried so many at in all price ranges all over.

jackthebear1349434712.295588 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

What is your budget?

$$$ look at chanel VITALUMIERE AQUA FRESH This is worth the money, I bought a 2nd

I think either Revlon/Loreal has an equivalant compact

<h1> </h1>

tototwo1349434722.4232520 PostsRegistered 2/8/2008Great Plains

Josie, everyone's complexion is different and will look better, or worse, in different foundations. I'm 63 with very oily skin and have found that a cream-to-powder works better for me. I've used the CG AquaSmooth for over 25 years - I've tried other foundations, but always go back to AquaSmooth. I agree with JustMeKP -- I use a thick foundation brush and swirl and swirl it on, buffing to an airbrushed finish. It smooths my pores and blends to perfection. The brush works magic!

I also use the Mally primer occasionally - it keeps my face less oily on a long day.

If you obey all the rules, you miss all of the fun.
- Katharine Hepburn

priusgal1349435446.427620 PostsRegistered 2/27/2010Eastern PA

I started using black soap beginning in July and I think its made a big difference in the condition of my skin, pores are smaller and skin is smoother. I use it once a day. I switched to liquid foundation now that it is getting colder and a friend at work told me how great my skin looked. I was wearing Lancome teint miracle. I also use Clarins skin illusion (not sure they still make it). I'll be 60 in January.

happy hous­ewife1349438959.56730797 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

I can only say what works for me. I use Avon mineral foundation followed by a spritz of rosewater for my everyday foundation. When going somewhere more special I like Josie Maron argon oil foundation - it covers very well without looking like a mask, very natural. The only reason I don't use it daily is that I don't like how it feels on my face - I actually am aware I have it on all the time.

In general I have found that as I get older (I'm 63) I prefer the less is more look.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

BLH1349441663.4871522 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

I'm 55 and am currently using IT cosmetics concealer, Laural Geller Balance and Brighten foundation, IT finishing powder. Also Josie Maran stick for blush and lips.

Herfy1349442187.607117 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

I am 58 and have been using Lancome Renergie Lift for several years. Tried Estee Double Wear and Chanel, this is what I ended up with. I do have breakouts and needed something with a little more coverage that lasts all day.

mima1349442944.3214348 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS

Most any liquid foundation applied with a brush in a circular motion makes pores invisible. I have always had super oily skin with huge pores, and this works wonders.

I then use a mineral foundation (Lucy minerals) as a concealer since I have acne prone skin even at age 56.

Mima

itsMe1349445693.123684 PostsRegistered 5/1/2008Sunny South Florida

I have been using a small sample of Urban Decay's new Naked foundation, and really like it. I'm 58, and don't really have much to cover. It just gives a nice finish. See if you can get a sample to try before you buy.

vw vixen, I used the Tarte Amazonian foundation for about a year, and it's nice, but I didn't like the way it looked around my chin. If you have any dryness, I'd probably avoid it. Since I don't have spots to cover, I can't really say which would be better for you. For me, it's the Urban Decay.

smhr1349445799.963822 PostsRegistered 1/16/2012laid back and mellow town USA
On 10/5/2012 jackthebear said:

What is your budget?

.... and what is her skintype? Oily, normal, dry, combo?

fromthebro­nx1349446377.9731057 PostsRegistered 2/22/2011

I am just finishing up some Estee Lauder Double Wear and have purchased some Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation. I like the Double Wear, since the coverage is very good. However, I have an issue with the fact that it rubs off on everything! I really do not want to use powder over the foundation because I did that for years and I just felt it was getting to be too aging. My Holy Grail would be to find a foundation that gives good coverage and doesn't come off. Don't know yet how the Tarte is going to perform in that respect...

Page 1 of 1