Spring & Summer Beauty
99 Members and 9500 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

O/T Costco guest pass

Started 1341270272.307 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1341366463.897 by FATCATinCT

I was a member of BJ'S and let my membership lapse because I didn't care for it. I've heard good things about Costco, and was wondering if they would give you a guest pass to try out the store before signing up for a membership? TIA.

Page 1 of 2
MeAgain1341271041.28279 PostsRegistered 7/25/2005

I'm not sure if this is a nationwide exception, or if it goes by state -- but in Michigan if you tell the door 'guard' you are there to buy alcohol they'll let you in without a membership - then of course you could look around

JeanLouise­Finch1341271714.8638943 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

jordan2 - I don't know that you can walk in and ask for a guest pass by yourself, but if you go in with a current member, I believe they'll give you one. If you decide to sign-up, be sure the mention the friend/relative who brought you because they get a free pizza at the concession stand as a thank you.

JeanLouise­Finch1341271786.7038943 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011
On 7/2/2012 nunu4u said:

http://lifehacker.com/5852788/how-to-shop-at-costco-and-sams-club-without-a-membership

So nice of these sites to encourage cheating and using people. JMHO

Neytiri1341271892.61247 PostsRegistered 6/28/2012The Hallelujah Floating Mountains of Pandora

Kind of on the same topic, I wonder if Sam's with have a free pass weekend the first of August again this year? I already have a list started.

Jake, Awah has heard you!

Stargazer771341272042.516069 PostsRegistered 10/24/2006

Tell the door checker you're going to the pharmacy. It's illegal for them to deny someone use of the pharmacy. I don't see the harm in walking around and checking things out, I wonder how many people actually take advantage like posted on the lifehacker site. That never would have even entered my mind.

deja vu1341277805.176048 PostsRegistered 7/9/2007East Coast

I know I can look it up but for sake of time what is the annual membership fee to Costco ?

TIA, deja vu

~ life is short~pick your battles ~

shoekitty1341278368.30711507 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006

I am in California. We would let our member ship laspse in the old days, because Costco was way too far, and at the time the choice of foods wasn't our taste, and too large a quantity. I would go in and get a guest pass once a year. Now we have a Costco in town and the choice of food and merchandise is excellent, and we wouldn't be without a membership. I know I am allowed to bring a guest in, but they cannot purchase anything with their money or card without going to CS and applying for a guest pass. I think it is good for a month. I bring my Mom in 2X a year and she picks out a few things and I buy them. We will divie up outside. I try to give her the stuff, but that woman will not have it. LOL

life is a banquet and most poor fools are starving to death!"
Auntie Mame

StellaDiva1341278527.711124 PostsRegistered 10/15/2011
They will let you in to look around. I don't see how people can buy things without a membership. They ask for the card at the register.

lovesrecess1341279186.85712953 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008Texas

I don't think lying or sneaking into Costco is very good advice!

Go to the membership desk at the front of the store and tell them you would like to look around and you are a prospective member. They will let you do that. If you go in without a pass then want to buy anything you can't....you have to show your membership card or pass in order to buy anything

Someone said you don't need a membership to buy alcohol....I know that is not the case here but maybe it varies in different states. I ran into a friend of mine there a few months ago and she was buying a whole basket full of stuff....with a guest pass and she was not required to fill out an application.

We have an executive membership;we get a % back annually of our purchases in cash! Nice benefit. The membership costs more but DH does it so not sure how much it is now. We like the Costco discounts for travel and car rentals and insurance; we use them all the time.

JeanLouise­Finch1341279802.3178943 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011
On 7/2/2012 deja vu said:

I know I can look it up but for sake of time what is the annual membership fee to Costco ?

TIA, deja vu

It depends on which membership you select. Gold Star =$55, Executive = $110

We have an Executive Membership and I'm glad we do. We've bought lots more than just groceries at Costco. We've been able to rent a car at a discount and we have great auto & homeowner's insurance via Costco. A few years ago we bought box springs and mattresses there and they are super! I wear hearing aids, Costco's batteries work great and are the most inexpensive I've seen anywhere. I'm usually at Costco every week to pick something up. We get all of our gasoline there, too. If you shop there enough, and buy enough, the rebate on the Executive membership is enough to cover the renewal fee for the following year. I've had no problem covering mine and sometimes having a little extra leftover.

Now if you're looking for another sales pitch, ask me about the Costco American Express card...Holy Moly, that is the best thing since sliced bread!

baby burns1341280247.4838793 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007

that life hacker things, will not work at any of the md. stores, just emailed my sister and ask. also you can go to the desk and i think you can day pass, not positive. if you have a friend go with her, you cannot buy anything though, but your friend can. costco only takes their own card, and american express, thats for costco. thats all i know, i think its a hundred and something, i think. my hubby pays

esmeraldag­ooch1341282483.1411385 PostsRegistered 1/7/2008Adopt a Rescue Pet, who rescues who?

Just go into Costco and ask at the desk where you purchase a membership. Unless something has changed, they will give you a one day pass for nothing

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_can_you_find_a_free_one_day_membership_pass_for_Costco#ixzz1zWSSYSgZ

Justice for Justina Pelletier
www.freejustina.com
Help save this child's life
If Boston Children's Hospital can do this to her, your child could be next

deja vu1341282584.9036048 PostsRegistered 7/9/2007East Coast
On 7/2/2012 Just MeKP said:

TIA, deja vu

It depends on which membership you select. Gold Star =$55, Executive = $110

We have an Executive Membership and I'm glad we do. We've bought lots more than just groceries at Costco. We've been able to rent a car at a discount and we have great auto & homeowner's insurance via Costco. A few years ago we bought box springs and mattresses there and they are super! I wear hearing aids, Costco's batteries work great and are the most inexpensive I've seen anywhere. I'm usually at Costco every week to pick something up. We get all of our gasoline there, too. If you shop there enough, and buy enough, the rebate on the Executive membership is enough to cover the renewal fee for the following year. I've had no problem covering mine and sometimes having a little extra leftover.

Now if you're looking for another sales pitch, ask me about the Costco American Express card...Holy Moly, that is the best thing since sliced bread!

Great reply, we shop right much with Sam's....never bought any home furniture though. Would like to see a better selection, maybe Costco has better choices..we buy lots of food and all paper products, and I love me some good sweets{#emotions_dlg.tt1}, I always find a good dessert or two.. I'll have to get in a few times and see what the 2 we have close to us have to offer in our area. Since our Sam's is covered through my hub's work I think there is room for both !!

We have bought plenty of things for the house just not furniture, and I've never run across any good beauty deals like I've read that Costco gets in. Really we have purchased most everything except alcohol and furniture from Sam's.

~~~thanks you for your sales pitch MeKP, ~~~deja vu

~ life is short~pick your battles ~

shoekitty134128354611507 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006

There is no way to sneak in and buy anything, no way. You just couldn't buy anything. You need a pass to look, but they will do it. Our Costco is very good about day passes. I know people who have done this before they buy a membership. The membership though is very reasonable, and I think it is a good buy for anyone. Even if you need a pair of glasses you would make your membership money back in one purchase. My Grand daughter got juicy frames for her glasses for 80 dollars! They are 250 at the Optomatrist. If you need a tv, computer or anything electronic you would make your money back right away. The food selection is awesome, they are like Trader Joe's in the respect they only sell popular customer approved items! I am an organic person, and they have organic chicken, beef, salads, fruits and flax seed, veggies, bread and many treats for organic living. I go there 1 once a month. More often at certain times.They are the cheapest for K cups

My only gripe is the last year they have taken to farmed Salmon and shellfish and Ahi from Viet Nam. I buy seafood elsewhere

Last edited on 7/2/2012

Last edited on 7/2/2012

life is a banquet and most poor fools are starving to death!"
Auntie Mame

JeanLouise­Finch1341283947.098943 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

Thanks for the reminder, shoekitty. We've gotten eye exams, eyeglasses, and contacts, too!

LOL.....we go to Costco so much, I think both of our cars know how to get there by themselves!

Cosmetics_­Crazy1341284020.7671094 PostsRegistered 5/21/2011

TIA, deja vu

I believe the price for a Gold Membership is $50 or $55 and the Executive membership is $110 (this is the membership that sends you back 2% of your purchases.)

SpaGal1341284343.333094 PostsRegistered 6/5/2010

We have the Amex as well. Love Costco--my engagement ring came from there and I'm proud to say it. Platinum and Diamonds for a fair price!

Of course we spend close to $1000 a year on cheese....but that's another story, LOL

LuvsLabs1341285220.9572226 PostsRegistered 7/2/2012

You can always go in with a Costco member anytime you want. Before I was a member I used to go in with my brother-in-law all the time. You can only bring one guest at a time though.

kivah1341285456.9833255 PostsRegistered 7/21/2008oxnard, CA

If you know someone who is a member and that person only uses one Costco card (AMEX) --- you can get a 2nd card on their membership. I'm a member and my friend Brenda has the 2nd card. Joining is $50/yr -- and she pays me $15/yr. If it's a couple, the husband probably has one card and the wife the 2nd. I once went with another friend --- and she bought a few items. They rang up my purchase with hers (and she paid me back afterwards. You can call them on the phone and ask. They also have great take-out pizzas.

CAshopper2­0111341289277.2333359 PostsRegistered 12/20/2009
Love love love Costco! I have purchased furniture from Costco, clothes and shoes even. Does the Amex cost anything and does it count as a membership? Do you sign up for it at the store? I'm embarrassed to admit what I spend at Costco in a given year...

10sluvr1341313149.081938 PostsRegistered 12/17/2006

i love my sam's membership. they have a gas station and i save .10-.15 per gallon. that adds up for us. they have a good bakery too. i would love a costco, but none in our town.

ID21341314494.1531790 PostsRegistered 6/25/2012
On 7/2/2012 MeAgain said:

I'm not sure if this is a nationwide exception, or if it goes by state -- but in Michigan if you tell the door 'guard' you are there to buy alcohol they'll let you in without a membership - then of course you could look around

I'm in Michigan and they won't let you in for anything except for the pharmacy. Maybe the rules are regional?

"Pure Michigan"

JeanLouise­Finch1341316029.4238943 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011
On 7/2/2012 CAshopper2011 said: Love love love Costco! I have purchased furniture from Costco, clothes and shoes even. Does the Amex cost anything and does it count as a membership? Do you sign up for it at the store? I'm embarrassed to admit what I spend at Costco in a given year...

I can't say enough good things about the Costco Tru Earnings AMEX card! You can sign up for it at the courtesy counter, but you can also find a link on the Costco website. It is not part of the membership nor does it have anything to do with the Costco rebate to Executive members.

The Costco Tru Earnings AMEX Credit Card is available ONLY to Costco members. There is NO annual fee to carry the card. Now here's where it gets good....every time you use that AMEX card, you get a rebate; 3% on gasoline, 2% on restaurant purchases, 2% on travel, and 1% on everything else. It can be used any place that accepts AMEX. Since getting this card, I/we have totally changed the way we pay for things. We use the Costco AMEX for everything possible. Believe me, if we could make our car payment and mortgate payment with it, WE WOULD! The key is being very disciplined in keeping track of your purchases, that they are in line with your budget. When the AMEX statement comes, you have to pay the entire balance due in order to avoid any interest. We spend a lot at Costco over the year, too, whether it's food, flowers, general merchandise, eyeglasses, tires, gasoline, health & beauty, you name it, but every purchase we make adds a litte more to that rebate. On each statement, you can see how your rebate is growing. On the February AMEX statement, an actual check is attached on the last page for your annual rebate. Since we use the card for everything we possibly can, we've had AMEX rebates in the neighborhood of $600 and $800! That's FREE money!!

Here's another trick. When you get that AMEX rebate check, you are encouraged to go to Costco to spend it. What's better, if you're planning to buy a big ticket item, is to have Costco cash the check and you bank that money. Buy your big ticket item from Costco, but use the card to pay for it so you get the rebate on THAT purchase. When the statement comes, you have the money in the bank to pay the bill!

Can you tell I LOVE the Costco American Express Card??? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Grade1Teach1341316308.0210054 PostsRegistered 12/2/2007Long Island

When my husband and I were thinking about joining Costco a few years ago, they allowed us to walk in and look around. We ended up joining that day.

However, my mother is not a member, but she does come in with us on occasion. They let her pay for her purchase separately even though she doesn't have a card or guest pass. We just tell the cashier that she's with us, and they let her buy whatever she wants (with cash).

Page 1 of 2