Better Than Black Friday
59 Members and 16111 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

O/T what diet plan will help lower cholesterol and blood sugar?

Started 1331976525.373 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1332382888.907 by baby burns
I would like to lower my cholesterol and blood sugar and would like to know if anyone followed a particular diet plan to accomplish this? It seems there is a lot of mixed information out there that makes it confusing. Anyone have success in following a diet plan?

"Your Future Will Be Decided, By Those You Honor"

Page 1 of 2
digo1331979013.487435 PostsRegistered 4/26/2007
I had such bad cholesterol and high sugar I knew I had to change my life. Congrats to you on taking the first steps! Here is what I did, I followed no diet, I knew I had to change my life and stay on this course if I wanted to live. I threw out all sweets and white breads rice and pastas. I cut back on all meat to one meal of lean beef and chicken and I upped eating fish more. I made sure of portion control! I even use the salad plate instead of our dinner plate. I upped my fruits and veggies. And you must exercise, even if it is walking. I go to a gym for resistance training and then I walk twice a day. I allow myself a treat once in awhile but I have learned this is a trigger for me and to not have any in the house. I have stayed this way three years now some weeks I realize I have not had any red meat at all and I don't miss it. I crave mt fruits and veggies! I have lowered my cholesterol and sugar, I am on no meds and I lost 108 pounds. it has been a journey and I read a lot about foods, but if I can do it anyone can. good luck and clean out those cupboards and get healthy! P.S. try the grain quinoa it is a protien source and it is delish! Just rinse it well before cooking.

Milesdavis1331979486.711087 PostsRegistered 10/1/2011
Go see a doctor.

betteb1331981044.81716830 PostsRegistered 1/1/2008The Land of Oz

digo and Milesdavis both gave you some good tips. A Drs office often has a Nutritionist on staff that can help you. I have found WebMD to be a good resource.

I would suggest that you start by having oatmeal for breakfast with cinnamon. No sugar. Buy just plain oatmeal. Research has shown that cinnamon helps to stabilize blood sugars and has become available in capsules for this purpose. You can find them with the health food/nutritional supplements.

Can I ask what your cholesterol is? Your HDL and LDL? What about your triglycerides?

"God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes. 'Cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues" Everlast

adelle381331981238.3779473 PostsRegistered 12/22/2007

I agree with digo. You must change your diet by using portion control and eating healthy carbs and exercise is very important in lowering blood sugar and bad cholesterol. It's as important to increase good cholesterol as it is to lower your overall number and the best way to do so is through daily exercise such as walking.

"Fear always springs from ignorance."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

QQween1331982220.31353 PostsRegistered 9/1/2009

Check out the book "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis. I have been following the program for almost two weeks now and have been seeing amazing results in not only weight loss, but how I feel too. He also has a great Face Book page where everyone is so helpful. I will be eating this way for life!

nunu4u1331984337.7778706 PostsRegistered 9/22/2006

Bixa, a fellow poster wrote out some great tips the other night. I copy pasted them! Here is what she said about cholesterol...if I can find her name I will come back and add it

" I've had cholesterol issues for years and learned about Chia seeds. Started taking them in late July and my cholesterol dropped from 248 to 188, with no other change in my life. I then learned from Dr. OZ about Krill Oil and how it is much more potent than Fish Oil, which I'd been taking. Started taking the Krill in November. In Jan., two months later, I had my annual physical and my total cholesterol had dropped to 157, and my LDL dropped to 77, again w/no change in my diet or lifestyle!!!!"

JSNDD51331985032.027391 PostsRegistered 1/7/2007
See a doctor or nutritionist. Most likely they will tell you to eat fruits, veggies, whole grains, low fat dairy, and lean meats. And to lay off processed foods, sugar and alcohol. "Eat from the earth."

FATCATinCT1331985728.6532641 PostsRegistered 11/18/2006

A couple of months ago I started eating only fresh foods, no processed ready to go freezer meals. I eat lots of fresh veggies, fruit, chicken and fish with a few beef meals thrown in. I also ordered Tony Little Bison from the southern channel, Bison is fantastic! I go organic when I can as well. I also found I was gluten intolerant so I cut out all wheats, what a difference that made with the digestive issues.

So far I've lost 29 lbs. I changed my diet to get healthy not to lose weight, that is just an added plus. And, of course, exercise.

Good luck to you,

Cath

lori6311331985950.077396 PostsRegistered 5/24/2011Tolland, CT

I am reading Wheat Belly right now (QQween mentioned it above) and it seems to make a lot of sense so I'll be trying it. I don't have high cholesterol or blood sugar so I can't comment on that but they do discuss it in the book. Definitely check with your Dr. first though.

depglass1331986691.60724301 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

If you must see someone, go to a nutritionist. Doctors are remarkably ill informed about proper eating. I once had a doctor tell me to eat nothing but salads if I wanted to lose weight.

Kat 131331987197.877870 PostsRegistered 7/6/2011
On 3/17/2012 nunu4u said:

Bixa, a fellow poster wrote out some great tips the other night. I copy pasted them! Here is what she said about cholesterol...if I can find her name I will come back and add it

" I've had cholesterol issues for years and learned about Chia seeds. Started taking them in late July and my cholesterol dropped from 248 to 188, with no other change in my life. I then learned from Dr. OZ about Krill Oil and how it is much more potent than Fish Oil, which I'd been taking. Started taking the Krill in November. In Jan., two months later, I had my annual physical and my total cholesterol had dropped to 157, and my LDL dropped to 77, again w/no change in my diet or lifestyle!!!!"

Hi...

CHIA SEEDS ??

Is that the same as the Chia Pet Seeds ???

Where do you get them , not including the BALD GUY's Head, of course !!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I'm laughing, but I am serious too...
Where to get them ???Kiss

jackthebear1331987610.7436105 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 3/17/2012 digo said: I had such bad cholesterol and high sugar I knew I had to change my life. Congrats to you on taking the first steps! Here is what I did, I followed no diet, I knew I had to change my life and stay on this course if I wanted to live. I threw out all sweets and white breads rice and pastas. I cut back on all meat to one meal of lean beef and chicken and I upped eating fish more. I made sure of portion control! I even use the salad plate instead of our dinner plate. I upped my fruits and veggies. And you must exercise, even if it is walking. I go to a gym for resistance training and then I walk twice a day. I allow myself a treat once in awhile but I have learned this is a trigger for me and to not have any in the house. I have stayed this way three years now some weeks I realize I have not had any red meat at all and I don't miss it. I crave mt fruits and veggies! I have lowered my cholesterol and sugar, I am on no meds and I lost 108 pounds. it has been a journey and I read a lot about foods, but if I can do it anyone can. good luck and clean out those cupboards and get healthy! P.S. try the grain quinoa it is a protien source and it is delish! Just rinse it well before cooking.

agree, simple and sensible

Congratulations

My husband has been eating quinoa for breakfast and says it really helps to keep the hunger away, and it is really one of the best on the low carb scale ( I forgot the exact term)

Glycemic Index

Last edited on 3/17/2012

Last edited on 3/17/2012

jackthebear1331987679.8536105 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

BTW Costco sells a big bag of Quinoa

Skylands1331988134.6536533 PostsRegistered 5/30/2010

Get Dr. Dean Ornish's book, Reversing Heart Disease. Most MD's have very little knowledge on nutrition. Dr. Ornish is a well recognized cardiologist and his diet advise is sound. Not easy, but sound. 15 grams of fat a day. Good luck.

Johnzwife1331988830.06863 PostsRegistered 3/8/2012

My father is both diabetic and has high cholesterol. What he has found is that a diet high in fresh veggies and some fruit with little organic meat, nothing processed has made a huge difference to his numbers.

I turned him on to juicing and it has even gotten better. He juices (green juices. Yes you can make them that will taste good) two to three times a day and eats a good healthy meal with veggies snacks when he is hungry and his blood numbers are great.

I'm not saying his answer is for everyone but I know it seems those who eat this way are having good luck with their numbers responding.

Good luck.

Heres some videos to watch. I think knowledge is power:

Fat, Sick and nearly dead

Forks over knives

Simply Raw

I'm not saying you have to be drastic. But the more you learn the more control over your own life you can take. Finding a healthy balance.

It's me Katz1

nunu4u1331988889.438706 PostsRegistered 9/22/2006

Kat, you can get chia seeds at a local health food store, or have it shipped free to you from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Navitas-Naturals-Seeds-16-Ounce-Pouches/dp/B001CGTN1I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1331988764&sr=8-3

buyornot1331989209.62687 PostsRegistered 7/7/2008
On 3/17/2012 digo said: I had such bad cholesterol and high sugar I knew I had to change my life. Congrats to you on taking the first steps! Here is what I did, I followed no diet, I knew I had to change my life and stay on this course if I wanted to live. I threw out all sweets and white breads rice and pastas. I cut back on all meat to one meal of lean beef and chicken and I upped eating fish more. I made sure of portion control! I even use the salad plate instead of our dinner plate. I upped my fruits and veggies. And you must exercise, even if it is walking. I go to a gym for resistance training and then I walk twice a day. I allow myself a treat once in awhile but I have learned this is a trigger for me and to not have any in the house. I have stayed this way three years now some weeks I realize I have not had any red meat at all and I don't miss it. I crave mt fruits and veggies! I have lowered my cholesterol and sugar, I am on no meds and I lost 108 pounds. it has been a journey and I read a lot about foods, but if I can do it anyone can. good luck and clean out those cupboards and get healthy! P.S. try the grain quinoa it is a protien source and it is delish! Just rinse it well before cooking.

wow-your simple,common-sense strategy is so inspiring to me this morning-thank you!

kmcshopper1331989375.3336305 PostsRegistered 8/10/2007

Anything low carb. Introduce more fruits & veggies.

violann1331990186.38712964 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
I have learned during the last year that white foods are my enemy and veggies are my friend. If you eliminate sugar and salt and increase dark green veggies, a small handful of nuts and a little olive oil every day, your numbers will change.

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

nancypoo1331991770.671413 PostsRegistered 5/13/2011

ANY WEIGHT LOSS lowers both!!!!! ANY EXERCISE helps both!!!!!

IT IS NOT THE DIET, IT is THE WEIGHT LOSS!!!!!!!!!!

The diet is not so important----FOLLOWING it IS!!!!!!!!

WHO CARES what the exercise is---DOING it, ANYTHING, gets you better results!!!

Is it possible, you and I, both need to leave these computer machines alone and MOVE?? JUST MOVE---away from the refrigerator, away from the pantry??

Gotta go, talked myself into it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TN halfback1331992857.6672691 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008

My Dad & DD are both diabetics, neither one with a weight problem. As a matter of fact my Dad has been extremely thin his whole life. I only say this because many think only over weight people end up with diabetes, not true.

IMO I think everyone should follow the diabetic way of eating by counting carbs. It is so easy to learn & not a diet per se but a healthy way of changing your lifestyle. Everything you buy has a carb count on the nutrition label & you can download a chart for other foods such as fruits, fresh veggies etc.

Everyone is different but my DD's plan is 45 carbs per meal & 15 carbs per snack. It is important to eat 3 meals & 3 snacks a day. Plus plenty of exercise even if it's just walking.

If you go to the American Diabetes Association website there is tons of info. A good nutritionist is another option. Hope this helps. Smile TN

Icegoddess1331994125.841638 PostsRegistered 3/19/2010
On 3/17/2012 betteb said:

digo and Milesdavis both gave you some good tips. A Drs office often has a Nutritionist on staff that can help you. I have found WebMD to be a good resource.

I would suggest that you start by having oatmeal for breakfast with cinnamon. No sugar. Buy just plain oatmeal. Research has shown that cinnamon helps to stabilize blood sugars and has become available in capsules for this purpose. You can find them with the health food/nutritional supplements.

Can I ask what your cholesterol is? Your HDL and LDL? What about your triglycerides?

Steels cut oats are even better.

Brinklii1332002424.19710278 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI

Low glycemic index carbs and low fat foods.

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

JSNDD51332003091.57391 PostsRegistered 1/7/2007
Saffron extract.

brandiwine1332005011.852437 PostsRegistered 11/9/2006Colorado

See a nutritionist. Converting recipes to be lower fat and sugar is much easier than you think. Don't deprive yourself of everything you love. Now and then satisfies most of us. Do more exercising. Be careful of Dr Ornish. He is extreme to say the least. For some of us it's all about family history. Use common sense. It's really very simple.

Best of health to you!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Page 1 of 2