Just-Reduced Clearance
116 Members and 15715 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Tried the Nutra Nail Gel Perfect UV-Free Gel Color System

Started 1316886245.95 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1345478426.803 by abigail7456

So I bought this yesterday. It is UV-Free Gel color that sets in about 5 minutes.

So here is how it works...

You get 3 bottles in the kit, activator, polish, cleaner

There are 3 steps to apply this formula

First you apply the activator to each nail on one hand, then you go back and apply the polish. After that, you put the polish in the cleaner bottle, and switch it with the cleaner brush to use for the polish. This helps so the brush stays soft and easy application. Then you do the same thing with the other 5 fingers. Then you go back to reapply a second coat.

It sound confusing, but really is simple to use. All you need to do is apply the activator, polish, and clean the brush.

It says to use 2 coats, but I used 3 coats. It says the first coat will look streaky, but I thought the 2nd one did too, hence the 3rd coat.

Ok, so the verdict....

It's not bad. It is very simple to use and does dry completely in 5 minutes.It dires to a nice shine.

However, while it dries quick, it looks like you have applied to much polish, and it is not a smooth finish. Don't get me wrong, it is not bad at all. But it is not that flat mirror finish, if you know what I mean.

I just did them this morning, so as far as how long it will last, I haven't a clue. But I will keep you posted!

Page 1 of 1
QVCdebt1316956008.1374579 PostsRegistered 7/21/2005"The Gisland", New York

Okay well day 1 and I'm impressed! All polishes chip off my disastrous nails within a day, but so far I am chip free! My nails feel stronger as well. They are not as soft and bendy like they ususally are. This could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship!! LOL!!

layne401316956484.57664 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I've never heard of this. I've had the OPI gel manicures in a salon and LOVE them, but they're kind of pricey. Where do I get this, please?

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley

abigail74561316957212.5731840 PostsRegistered 11/15/2006Back home again in Indiana~

The web page says available at Meijers, Ulta and some other places I've never heard of. I am interested in the other products too. Any great items from Nutra Nails?

I did a search on Ulta.com and nothing came up for me. ???

Also...the Nutra web has a $1 off coupon to print.

Last edited on 9/25/2011

Last edited on 9/25/2011

42! Dark Brown super thick hair, combo skin and I am addicted to lipsticks!

Emma Bunti­ng1316958092.1038606 PostsRegistered 3/26/2010

QVCdebt....thanks for the review! What I'm really intersted in, though, is what condition your nails are in when you take the polish off. I've heard that the salon gel nails really damage the nails, that's why I haven't tried it.

If this product doesn't damage the nails.....and lasts for more than a couple of hours before chipping......I'm in!

" Anybody ready for dessert?"

lulu21316964686.34321786 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007

Nutra Nails had this system without the polish step for years. It was their version of at home gel nails. I found it helped when I had a crack on an individual nail. That being said, sometimes the gel coating chipped off in one big chunk.

It sounds like they just added color to what was the clear gel.

Last edited on 9/25/2011

Last edited on 9/25/2011

soccer-lax­-mom1316964746.9671036 PostsRegistered 2/1/2007
Going to try it today - thanks for the recommendation I got "peony" a shimmery red I am so glad it doesn't chip

bonnie

betteb1316965970.13317014 PostsRegistered 1/1/2008The Land of Oz
On 9/25/2011 soccer-lax-mom said: Going to try it today - thanks for the recommendation I got "peony" a shimmery red I am so glad it doesn't chip

soccer-lax-mom Where did you get it? TIA

Just because you can say it, doesn't mean you should.

QVCdebt1316969049.0874579 PostsRegistered 7/21/2005"The Gisland", New York

I picked it up at Rite Aid. It was 11.99 and they were offering a $1.50 coupon. I think Ulta has it, so it you get your hands on a $3.50 Ulta coupon, you could save as well.

Emma, I agree with how the comdition of the nails are afterwards. I did the gel mani for about a year in the salon, and eventhough my nails were always in bad shape, I think that made them so soft. Even with the gel on them they were really soft. I took a break from the salon for about 3 weeks now, and saw this, and decided to give it a try.

betteb1316970085.0417014 PostsRegistered 1/1/2008The Land of Oz

Thanks so much for the rec and the answer to my question QVCdebt. I am looking forward to hearing how you do with it and what your nails are like when you take it off :)

Just because you can say it, doesn't mean you should.

Ivette1317132917.0871 PostsRegistered 9/27/2011

I bought this at Ulta and did them on Sunday...yesterday two nails broke because they were so brittle and the polish was chipping off. My mom had the same effect. I took the polish off last night and went back to my do-it-myself Gelish manicure with the UV light. This really does last two weeks and doesn't damage your nails. I bought 5 other colors of the NutraNail Gel Perfect and I'm returning them this weekend...I hated it.

iachick1317234501.363105 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008
On 9/27/2011 Ivette said:

I bought this at Ulta and did them on Sunday...yesterday two nails broke because they were so brittle and the polish was chipping off. My mom had the same effect. I took the polish off last night and went back to my do-it-myself Gelish manicure with the UV light. This really does last two weeks and doesn't damage your nails. I bought 5 other colors of the NutraNail Gel Perfect and I'm returning them this weekend...I hated it.

Thanks for posting your experience... I was going to try this but you saved me the trouble. I bought a mini Gelish kit but still need to get the UV light. Guess I'll spend the money on the UV light instead of trying this!

sharthesin­ger1324929750.191 PostsRegistered 12/26/2011

I tried this product at 8 p.m. one evening and had chips the following morning. I'd showered, then removed existing polish with acetone remover. I buffed, then wiped my nails with a dry paper towel to make sure they were really clean. Ring finger and pinkie had no trouble for about 4 days. Pointer and middle chipped like nobody's business. Even tried fixing the chips for a few days which made those nails look pretty ugly. Getting the stuff off was difficult. Used regular acetone polish remover and soaked the nails for a few minutes which helped. I'm so disappointed because I thought this would be my dream polish solution to "stay-at-home mom" drab nails. Thankfully my nails don't seem too much thinner or damaged from the product. I've read lots of reviews that say others had chipping by day #2 as well. Oh, well. Win some, lose some...

Miss Elain­e Eous1328667013.9172257 PostsRegistered 1/11/2007

Resurrecting this one because I just applied the Nutra Nail Gel-perfect in Sheer Pink. Bought it at Rite aid last night and wanted to try an alternative to the UV cured shellac manicures I've been getting.

2 coats and the color reminds me of a sheer pink like OPI bubble bath with a nice shine. No topcoat. There were a few other colors available, but wanted to try something pretty basic the first go-around. Application fairly simple and the insert has clear instructions. QVCDebt did a great job outlining them in ther OP.

We'll see about wear. My nails are natural, short and prone to peeling. I love the shellac, but am having a hard time keeping up with maintenance. This product can be removed easily at home with 100% acetone, pads and foil or their specific brand remover.

jazzbabe1331701754.3872860 PostsRegistered 12/14/2007

I saw this today in Rite Aid and was curious. Any updates on this?

PJSKG1335284352.7371 PostsRegistered 4/24/2012

Bought the nutra nail gel system a few weeks ago and have tried it twice....with horrible results! Its better to just use regular old nail polish or spring for a professional gel polish. Goes on uneven and chips within 24 hours.....and at over $11.00 for the tiny tubes you get, it is not worth it!

Suesuepix1337714508.5472 PostsRegistered 5/22/2012

When I first started on this quest, it was originally to give myself a French Manicure. Noting I had ridges in my nails, causing the white to leak down the ridges, I got a ridge filler.

I had the brainstorm to use the Gel Perfect over the ridge filler. This was the day before yesterday. So far so good. No problems at all. We will see how long it lasts. If it works, I have to find a white or beige color to do a French Manicure...I'd like to do it now, but I have to find the right color OR see if regular nail polish will stick...but I'd need to have a clear overcoat that gives the shine the Gel Perfect gives

Suesuepix1337714515.4432 PostsRegistered 5/22/2012

When I first started on this quest, it was originally to give myself a French Manicure. Noting I had ridges in my nails, causing the white to leak down the ridges, I got a ridge filler.

I had the brainstorm to use the Gel Perfect over the ridge filler. This was the day before yesterday. So far so good. No problems at all. We will see how long it lasts. If it works, I have to find a white or beige color to do a French Manicure...I'd like to do it now, but I have to find the right color OR see if regular nail polish will stick...but I'd need to have a clear overcoat that gives the shine the Gel Perfect gives

PodyPo1337715184.857228 PostsRegistered 1/31/2011
On 12/26/2011 sharthesinger said:

I tried this product at 8 p.m. one evening and had chips the following morning. I'd showered, then removed existing polish with acetone remover. I buffed, then wiped my nails with a dry paper towel to make sure they were really clean. Ring finger and pinkie had no trouble for about 4 days. Pointer and middle chipped like nobody's business. Even tried fixing the chips for a few days which made those nails look pretty ugly. Getting the stuff off was difficult. Used regular acetone polish remover and soaked the nails for a few minutes which helped. I'm so disappointed because I thought this would be my dream polish solution to "stay-at-home mom" drab nails. Thankfully my nails don't seem too much thinner or damaged from the product. I've read lots of reviews that say others had chipping by day #2 as well. Oh, well. Win some, lose some...

I had this exact experience. Chipped within hours. Tried to patch, and the patches chipped too. Getting it off was a nightmare. I only used it one time, threw the rest out, so thankfully there was no permanent damage to my nails.

You need to get the exact balance of activator to plish to have it dry well. It took me a few tries to get that right. When done properly, it dries very well and quickly.

It looked streaky with 2 coats, and I did not like any of the colors. I chose the pinkish one because it was closest to the color I normally wear.

abigail74561345478426.7631840 PostsRegistered 11/15/2006Back home again in Indiana~

This stuff is terrible, smelly and stringy. Half of my nails have chips all over them and I just put it on yesterday. Booooo!!! :(

42! Dark Brown super thick hair, combo skin and I am addicted to lipsticks!

Page 1 of 1