TSV(R) Preview
133 Members and 11062 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

BB cream for acne prone skin?

Started 1315149161.83 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1315773547.823 by lks918
I though BB stood for "blemish balm" but it seems that not all BB creams are good for sensitive acne prone skin! Can anyone recommend one that either helps with acne, or does not cause acne in sensitive skin? (I know differs by person, but if anyone wih skin prone to breakouts has a recommendation; I'd love to start there!)

Page 1 of 2
lobstergal1315149818.613786 PostsRegistered 12/3/2010

Thanks for asking CAshopper. I was wondering the same thing as I have sensitive acne prone skin also but I really want to try a BB cream. Hopefully we'll get some good replies.

When the mindset of the hearer is set by anger or bitterness, everything that is said will be perceived as negative, regardless of intentions of the heart.
Ignorance is NOT an excuse...you can't plead stupid.

naturalfan1315150357.484270 PostsRegistered 1/27/2009

I am wondering too. I just started with the Smashbox BB but I have only used it a few times so I have not made up my mind about it yet. The first time I used it I was disappointed because I felt my face seemed oily. But it was a very hot and humid day so that probably had a lot to do with it. Coverage is OK but hope others can let us know their opinions of this product.

poodlpoo1315151371.8034265 PostsRegistered 10/23/2010

BB creams originated in Asia. The name DID refer to a "blemish balm". But, a completely clear, porcelain complexion is very, very important to Asians. Therefore, in their terminology, a blemish refers to ANY type of discoloration or mark on the face. It didn't necessarily mean pimple.

Those creams have some horrible ingredients for acne prone skin!! Essential oils, tons of silicones, and I cannot remember the rest right now. They do have some great ingredients too, but for me, the bad outweighs the good. And I dont know if Asia has the same restrictions or guidelines that we have, regarding the order in which ingredients are listed. They could have fragrance listed last, but it really could be first? I'm not sure.

They are VERY thick and the ones I read have more ingredients than any other thing I have ever read. May be due to all the different things it is supposed to do.

I wouldn't use them myself, but you could always just try and see. I believe the Missa site is having a 30% off sale right now. I just got an email the other day. They frequently have daily sales too. I missed the Cho Bo Yang a couple weeks ago, which was only like 8 bucks for just that day. It is normally around 46.00. Sign up with them and they will give you an instant offer for a free BB cream with purchase. They are also much cheaper on Ebay.

Jeanne R1315152991.7374788 PostsRegistered 7/5/2010

i d have a sensitive skin too, wanna know if it can work out


Nascardiva1315154468.566563 PostsRegistered 6/27/2005Maryland

I have oily, acne-prone skin and use BRTC Blemish Balm; I love it! It provides excellent coverage, lasts all day, and has helped with the small breakouts along my jawline.

Amazon also carries this line.

I'm a true redhead - with the color comes the temper.
Beauty gets the attention but personality gets the heart.

noposting1315154628.183577 PostsRegistered 11/18/2005
I wouldn't because they are thick and heavy. The name blemish balm doesn't refer to zit blemishes. In Asia a blemish refers to dark or brown spots so he products are designed to lighten skin.

CAshopper2­0111315155484.1473483 PostsRegistered 12/20/2009
Thanks everyone. NASCAR - do you use anything specific UNDER the BRTC? They recommend (of course!) their toner, moisturizer... But have you tried just applying to dry skin? The appeal to be about a BB cream is that it is sort of an "all in one". But if i need to moisturize beforehand... It sort of defeats one of the benefits to me. For $25 on Amazon itmaybe worth experimenting with though!

Hi Cindy1315156986.66560 PostsRegistered 6/6/2010

If I was going to experiment with any of them, I would try the new Clinique Age Defense BB Cream with SPF. Check out the Clinique website for more info and a live chat during workday hours to answer specific questions. Macy's had it in 2 shades depending on your skin undertones (pink or gold). I put some on my wrist (pink) over the little veins and coverage was pretty good. I am still on the fence over making a purchase though...

Age Defense BB Cream SPF 30

lks9181315162909.87354 PostsRegistered 7/29/2011

I am on a BB cream kick lately and have VERY oily, sensitive, acne prone skin! I don't use them alone, I put powder foundation over them, but it's because I have very red skin and I prefer the feel and look of powder on my skin vs a liquid.

So far I have tried Smashbox and Skin79, the Clinique BB should be here on Tuesday. So far my experience is this I loved the way the SB made my makeup look and last. I live in South Florida and it's hot and steamy here all day everyday. I could put my makeup on and at 5pm I still didn't look like an oil slick, still pretty fresh looking. I loved it...but it did not love me. It made my skin break out in cystic acne that was very painful and very hard to heal. I wasn't certain it was the SB as I had started a few new things the same week so I stopped it, let my skin heal and started it again, only it this time, and again in 2-3 days I had really painful under the skin cystic acne. I was very sad to send it back as it was fantastic for me, make up wise.

The Skin79 was gross to me. I am very pale, usually the lightest foundation shade any company offers and the Skin79 (hot pink) was orange on me. My powder foundation couldn't hide the significant color difference for me and it left my skin greasy within 2 hours and just feeling dirty. I sent it back.

I ordered the Clinique BB off Sephora and it is set to be delivered on Tuesday. I ordered the shade 1 in it because I'm so pale and pink and yellow tones make me look like I have jaundice. I will update after using it for a few days.

Last edited on 9/4/2011

Last edited on 9/4/2011

Last edited on 9/4/2011

Hi Cindy1315168555.343560 PostsRegistered 6/6/2010
On 9/4/2011 lks918 said:

I am on a BB cream kick lately and have VERY oily, sensitive, acne prone skin! I don't use them alone, I put powder foundation over them, but it's because I have very red skin and I prefer the feel and look of powder on my skin vs a liquid.

So far I have tried Smashbox and Skin79, the Clinique BB should be here on Tuesday. So far my experience is this I loved the way the SB made my makeup look and last. I live in South Florida and it's hot and steamy here all day everyday. I could put my makeup on and at 5pm I still didn't look like an oil slick, still pretty fresh looking. I loved it...but it did not love me. It made my skin break out in cystic acne that was very painful and very hard to heal. I wasn't certain it was the SB as I had started a few new things the same week so I stopped it, let my skin heal and started it again, only it this time, and again in 2-3 days I had really painful under the skin cystic acne. I was very sad to send it back as it was fantastic for me, make up wise.

The Skin79 was gross to me. I am very pale, usually the lightest foundation shade any company offers and the Skin79 (hot pink) was orange on me. My powder foundation couldn't hide the significant color difference for me and it left my skin greasy within 2 hours and just feeling dirty. I sent it back.

I ordered the Clinique BB off Sephora and it is set to be delivered on Tuesday. I ordered the shade 1 in it because I'm so pale and pink and yellow tones make me look like I have jaundice. I will update after using it for a few days.

Last edited on 9/4/2011

Last edited on 9/4/2011

Oh please let us know how you liked the Clinique BB Cream...I am very curious on this one and have oily sensitive skin. The claims are that it helps control the oil slick w/o being too drying. Thanks !!

CAshopper2­0111315173413.2573483 PostsRegistered 12/20/2009

lks918 - I appreciate your reviews, and please do let us know once you've tried Clinique! I have the same problem if a product doesn't like me. I'll sometimes get 5-6 small white heads by end of day (oily or heavy products will do this.)

But if i'm truly sensitive to something I will either get itchy right away or end up with big cysts on my chin... I just don't have it in me to experiement right now with this. I have to "plan" for these types of trials because I know that worst case, my skin will look atrocious for two weeks following a bad reaction!

rebel1315183542.8075458 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

i have sensitive skin and have to be really careful with "cones" because they give me cystic type acne.

somehow, i have been able to tolerate the missha BB cream pretty well.

i have some sunpots/dark spots on my face that absolutely nothing would lighten but this BB cream is working!!!

that is the main reason i keep using it. i use the second darkest color that missha offers.

i am loving it and am amazed that it hasn't broken me out.

i have gotten a tiny bit of acne but that may or may not be from the BB cream. The acne is more like white head type.

45, Fair, dry, sensitive skin, DSPW, yellow and neutral undertones, Cannot use "cones" high in ingred. deck, natural blonde wavy hair, blue eyes

lobstergal1315188194.0973786 PostsRegistered 12/3/2010
On 9/4/2011 CAshopper2011 said:

lks918 - I appreciate your reviews, and please do let us know once you've tried Clinique! I have the same problem if a product doesn't like me. I'll sometimes get 5-6 small white heads by end of day (oily or heavy products will do this.)

But if i'm truly sensitive to something I will either get itchy right away or end up with big cysts on my chin... I just don't have it in me to experiement right now with this. I have to "plan" for these types of trials because I know that worst case, my skin will look atrocious for two weeks following a bad reaction!

My skin reacts exactly the same way when it doesn't like a product, it is beyond frustrating. I would love to have blemish free skin for just one day...I'm too old for this {#emotions_dlg.sad}

When the mindset of the hearer is set by anger or bitterness, everything that is said will be perceived as negative, regardless of intentions of the heart.
Ignorance is NOT an excuse...you can't plead stupid.

lks9181315189026.3254 PostsRegistered 7/29/2011
On 9/4/2011 DMom67 said:
On 9/4/2011 CAshopper2011 said:

lks918 - I appreciate your reviews, and please do let us know once you've tried Clinique! I have the same problem if a product doesn't like me. I'll sometimes get 5-6 small white heads by end of day (oily or heavy products will do this.)

But if i'm truly sensitive to something I will either get itchy right away or end up with big cysts on my chin... I just don't have it in me to experiement right now with this. I have to "plan" for these types of trials because I know that worst case, my skin will look atrocious for two weeks following a bad reaction!

My skin reacts exactly the same way when it doesn't like a product, it is beyond frustrating. I would love to have blemish free skin for just one day...I'm too old for this {#emotions_dlg.sad}

My skin sounds just like you two's! I did want to say (a little off topic) that I recently saw where Differin had gone generic and my insurance will cover anything generic. I asked my regular doc to call me in some and she did. First she called me in the cream version and my face looked like ground beef (red, peeling, burned), gross, I know. My pharmacist told me it was a reaction to the cream and to get the gel version. I called her back and she called me in the generic 0.1% Differin gel and OMG, I have new skin! It literally cleared up in less than a week with significant clearing in 2 days. It did dry me out much moreso that the cream but I got a heavier moisturizer (all mine were for acne, so had acne stuff in them) and after a lot of research found one and using the generic Differin and the tad bit heavier moisturizer and I am pimple free for the first time on my 31 years! Just thought I'd let you know because you mentioned wanting blesmish free skin and I've been working on that for years and years and years and this is the only thing that has worked for me.

lobstergal1315247521.6433786 PostsRegistered 12/3/2010

lks, thank you for that information, I'm happy for you that you finally found something that works for your skin Smile I'm afraid of heavy moisturizers because they've always caused more breakouts for me but the past few days I've been using the Dr Perricone one that came in the beauty tube & so far so good. Before that I used Cetaphil & that doesn't irritate my skin but I'm always on the lookout for something that will work better for me.

I've been on a prescription strength gel before from a dermatologist but it's been several years & don't remember the name of it. I gave up because it really didn't do anything other than make my skin more dry than it already was & when that happens I have the really bad habit of picking off the flaky skin which makes the problem worse. I also need to learn to be patient and not expect results immediately. I'm seeing a new doctor in a week so & will ask for a script for that Differin gel.

When the mindset of the hearer is set by anger or bitterness, everything that is said will be perceived as negative, regardless of intentions of the heart.
Ignorance is NOT an excuse...you can't plead stupid.

betteb1315247906.7816472 PostsRegistered 1/1/2008The Land of Oz
On 9/4/2011 DMom67 said:
On 9/4/2011 CAshopper2011 said:

lks918 - I appreciate your reviews, and please do let us know once you've tried Clinique! I have the same problem if a product doesn't like me. I'll sometimes get 5-6 small white heads by end of day (oily or heavy products will do this.)

But if i'm truly sensitive to something I will either get itchy right away or end up with big cysts on my chin... I just don't have it in me to experiement right now with this. I have to "plan" for these types of trials because I know that worst case, my skin will look atrocious for two weeks following a bad reaction!

My skin reacts exactly the same way when it doesn't like a product, it is beyond frustrating. I would love to have blemish free skin for just one day...I'm too old for this {#emotions_dlg.sad}

OMG I am right there with you both. I am waaaay too old to have zits like a teenager.

I am very interested in hearing about the Clinique. I think they have some good GWP's right now too. :)

"God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes. 'Cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues" Everlast

betteb1315249173.04316472 PostsRegistered 1/1/2008The Land of Oz
On 9/4/2011 rebel said:

i have sensitive skin and have to be really careful with "cones" because they give me cystic type acne.

somehow, i have been able to tolerate the missha BB cream pretty well.

i have some sunpots/dark spots on my face that absolutely nothing would lighten but this BB cream is working!!!

that is the main reason i keep using it. i use the second darkest color that missha offers.

i am loving it and am amazed that it hasn't broken me out.

i have gotten a tiny bit of acne but that may or may not be from the BB cream. The acne is more like white head type.

rebel Thanks for the info. I went to the Missha site and signed up. I bought a lip bruxh on sale for $2.50 and got the free BB cream to try. The shipping was kinda high, but the total was less than $12.00, so I figure it will be ok. Have you ever tried their brushes? I had been wanting a new lip brush anyway.

"God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes. 'Cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues" Everlast

rebel1315254913.9375458 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

i have not tried their brushes. i hope you like the missha.

there are so many different ones to try.

45, Fair, dry, sensitive skin, DSPW, yellow and neutral undertones, Cannot use "cones" high in ingred. deck, natural blonde wavy hair, blue eyes

lobstergal1315256465.853786 PostsRegistered 12/3/2010
On 9/5/2011 betteb said:
On 9/4/2011 rebel said:

i have sensitive skin and have to be really careful with "cones" because they give me cystic type acne.

somehow, i have been able to tolerate the missha BB cream pretty well.

i have some sunpots/dark spots on my face that absolutely nothing would lighten but this BB cream is working!!!

that is the main reason i keep using it. i use the second darkest color that missha offers.

i am loving it and am amazed that it hasn't broken me out.

i have gotten a tiny bit of acne but that may or may not be from the BB cream. The acne is more like white head type.

rebel Thanks for the info. I went to the Missha site and signed up. I bought a lip bruxh on sale for $2.50 and got the free BB cream to try. The shipping was kinda high, but the total was less than $12.00, so I figure it will be ok. Have you ever tried their brushes? I had been wanting a new lip brush anyway.

I would love to hear how you like the Missha BB cream after you get it. There is another poster here that has a blog & I think I remember her saying that she had ordered brushes from the Missha site, maybe she'll see this post and give her opinion on them.

When the mindset of the hearer is set by anger or bitterness, everything that is said will be perceived as negative, regardless of intentions of the heart.
Ignorance is NOT an excuse...you can't plead stupid.

CPie1315262005.8631022 PostsRegistered 11/22/2009NY

I've never used this site before, but you ladies got me curious. And look what I found! 30% off Sept 1st through 5th.

http://www.misshaus.com/pageControl.php?page=index

Cpie
Sensitive skin that is oily/combo and breakout prone.

betteb1315265388.98316472 PostsRegistered 1/1/2008The Land of Oz
On 9/5/2011 CPie said:

I've never used this site before, but you ladies got me curious. And look what I found! 30% off Sept 1st through 5th.

http://www.misshaus.com/pageControl.php?page=index

I saw that and also some things are 50% off. The lip brush I got was.

I will post a review of the BB cream after I use it.

"God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes. 'Cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues" Everlast

harls3211315427753.237805 PostsRegistered 7/11/2006
On 9/4/2011 Nascardiva said:

I have oily, acne-prone skin and use BRTC Blemish Balm; I love it! It provides excellent coverage, lasts all day, and has helped with the small breakouts along my jawline.

Amazon also carries this line.

Thanks! Sounds interesting.

pink brown­ie1315446455.933140 PostsRegistered 5/16/2011

Be very careful with this company (missha). Had a really bad experience with them (see other thread- negative experience with missha). I also ordered after someone posted information about them here.

Wish you the best on your search for bb cream.

lks9181315447456.00754 PostsRegistered 7/29/2011

This is just a short update. I got the Clinique BB yesterday. I wore it around the house yesterday and thought it was not doing very well with oil control but thought it might be due to not wearing and powder on top. I wore it today with a newer powder foundation (Too Faced) that I'm not sure of yet and all I have to say is...ewww! I was an oil slick by noon and it looked caked and just gross. I was more oily than if I'd not worn the BB! I am going to try tomorrow with my tried and true and not sure why I stray from it powder foundation (Chanel) to see how it reacts, but so far...ick.

I am stopping by the Clinique at Dillards to try the City Block Sheer that has rave reviews for oil control and keeping make up in place since its gift with purchase time there. I'll update with how the BB wears with the known makeup factored in as well as if I like the City Block.

baby burns1315450576.598793 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007

i cannot remember the first one, the girl said amazon has, but it said it gives samples. ok i went back and re-read the name, its the BRTC, so that is two that said it was good, and said it gives samples, so why don't you try the sample first! i do not have problem and iam amazed that with all the rx there are out there, that no one can get their skin healed. do you go to dr's? good luck!

Page 1 of 2