Better Than Black Friday
79 Members and 15267 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Thong sandals - am I the only one who can't wear them?

Started 1310762254.45 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1310858566.69 by wilma

It like just about every women in NYC has these on her feet and they look so comfortable and pretty. I've tried on so many pairs and they all hurt between my toes. Maybe you need longer skinny toes to wear them. Does the part that goes between the toes soften over time? Are these comfortable for you right out of the box. I so want to wear these, but I have just about given up.

Has anyone found a brand of thongs that worked for them who also had the same problem as I have?

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
luvmyteddy1310763301.3438846 PostsRegistered 9/4/2010Royals/Chiefs

I can't wear thongs, birks or clogs. My feet slide from side to side and I'm half in and half out of them. If I don't have a backstrap my feet fall out when I walk and when I drive. Nothing worse than trying to drive and your shoe is somewhere under the petal or the brake!

Must love dogs and cats

RedConvert­ibleGirl1310763498.43714427 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW

Nope, you aren't alone. That thing between the toe is uncomfortable no matter how much they insist it isn't. I don't even try to find any anymore.

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

eatreadshop1310763917.6213 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007
On 7/15/2011 luvmyteddy said:

I can't wear thongs, birks or clogs. My feet slide from side to side and I'm half in and half out of them. If I don't have a backstrap my feet fall out when I walk and when I drive. Nothing worse than trying to drive and your shoe is somewhere under the petal or the brake!

Girlfriend I understand what you are saying- I always want to walk right out of a thong - my foot wants to walk out of them, and they always hurt in betwwen my toes.

lovesrecess1310764206.8214058 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008Texas

you are not the only one; you don't need to have longer skinnier toes because I do and I still have trouble ....BUT....try J Crew; they are the only ones that don't hurt and I love them; when I tried on a pair I couldn't believe it! I went back and tried on more and none of them hurt; these are the regular rubber-soled with the different fabric straps....they aren't cheap (for flipflops) but worth every penny if you can wear them. Good luck!

luvmyteddy1310764367.1078846 PostsRegistered 9/4/2010Royals/Chiefs
On 7/15/2011 eatreadshop said:

Girlfriend I understand what you are saying- I always want to walk right out of a thong - my foot wants to walk out of them, and they always hurt in betwwen my toes.

Yeah if someone is going to rob me and I try to do a karate kick on him, I can just see my thong flying over his head or better yet trying to run away. Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared" Girl Scout motto RUN!

Must love dogs and cats

Katharita1310765382.2476680 PostsRegistered 11/19/2008Hooterville, Texas

I could never wear thong sandals until somebody told me about these two things to look for in a thong sandal (in regards to the "thong piece" itself - - - the little piece that goes between the toes):

1. The thong piece should be designed so that there is not a seam that touches the webbing between your toes. It should be designed so that it is either perfectly round or so that any seam points away from the webbing.

2. The thong piece should be attached to the shoe so that it points straight up - - - it should NOT be pointing back toward the webbing between your toes.

I would add that I would choose a pair that do not have a very high heel, so that the foot does not slide forward which would press the webbing into the thong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrowmindedness."- Mark Twain ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

viva9231310766244.717008 PostsRegistered 4/5/2008Delaware

I too am another one who can't wear those thong type shoes. I get terrible sores between my toes. When I was younger, my parents would get us those cheap $1.00 thong shoes for playing outside. I would wear them for a day and I would suffer the next couple of weeks with blister type sores. I just gave up trying to wear them. If I wear sandals, they have to be without those nubby between toe things.

Kzeks1310769260.5374852 PostsRegistered 5/25/2006Michigan/Europe

Never EVER Drive in Slippers..Or Shoes or Sandals without a back!!!!!

Keep a pair of slip-ons in your auto for when you drive...

Root Beer ­Kids1310769700.51351 PostsRegistered 12/22/2008

I live in Florida and everyone wears flip flops pretty all year. I tried several pairs and they all hurt and caused blisters. I finally discovered flip flops with cloth material that go between the toes, rather than leather or plastic or rubber. Now I absolutely love them and wear them all the time. I started with LL Bean's but now I really like Teva's. They are both very casual though. You can find dressier flip flops with the material but you will have to look around a little more. Once you find a pair that works, you will want to wear them all the time!

VillageGirl1310769923.797219 PostsRegistered 4/5/2008

I have White Mountain flip flops, and they cause no problem or pain. They are a casual style, and that works for me.

belleandme1310769946.7038644 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009southern illinois

hi blondelle,

i usually cannot wear thong sandals or flip flops. both because they just slide all over the place, and because they hurt between my toes.

that was before i tried birkenstock thong sandals on a whim. and let me tell you they are amazing. i just got back from st. louis, and walking all over and my feet dont hurt at all. i can literally put them on in the am, and take them off at 9 at night and never think about them.

now if you have never worn them at all, it does take a day or two to wear them all day. but the way they do it is unlike any others i have tried.

i have a black pop art pair

two native. american inspired beaded pair

a leopard print pair and a plain black patent pair. and i just think they are great.

hth!!!

belleandme

FOUR BLOOD MOONS~~john hagee

"...There will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars...Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near." Luke 21:25a, 28

Gooday1310770064.24710571 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008

I have a hard time with thong sandals but I bought an inexpensive pair at Target and they do not hurt at all. I have a pair of white Minnetonka thongs and they hurt but look good, so I only wear them when I don't have to walk far. I also need a shoe with a back.

I Teach Too1310775039.97711790 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Eastern Iowa...If you build it, they will come.

I rarely wear them. I have back and arch problems that do NOT like thong sandals! But, on the other hand, I won't suffer with the foot problems that most of the people wearing flip flops will have in a few years.

I know too much to go back an' pretend.

bow regard1310775659.4373721 PostsRegistered 4/16/2009...the Long & Winding road.....

I'm a flip/flop wearer..........have worn off and on my whole life. There have been times when I've not worn them for almost a year or so and then when I would slide a pair on my feet, I'd think, how uncomfortable between the toes....what's happened?....I love flip flops. I just keep wearing for a week or so and I'm not even aware of when they become so comfortable, they're like a second skin again. If you really want to wear them, I say just persevere....give 'em a couple of weeks of wearing every day before you throw in the towel.

ETA....Good luck, Blondelle....hope you find a pair that works for you.

Last edited on 7/15/2011

Last edited on 7/15/2011

Desi1310775978.26314255 PostsRegistered 6/9/2007Ma

Same here, but I am trying. I got a style like the Birki recent TSV. It crosses the toes, not just a thong. It rubs a bit on my left foot, but I am wearing them!

I also tried a pr. of Clark's thong sandals with tons of cushioning. They were too big, and flopped around, but had lot's of padding, and I don't think they would have cut or blistered between my toes.

I thought like you did, I must have either fat or short toes, why can everyone else wear thongs but me?

I have tried Birkenstock thongs, but I think they would kill me. That plastic toe-piece is rigid, and not high enough, so the straps and thong hurt immediately - didn't buy them.

Desi

Skylands1310781532.2536517 PostsRegistered 5/30/2010
On 7/15/2011 Blondelle said:

It like just about every women in NYC has these on her feet and they look so comfortable and pretty. I've tried on so many pairs and they all hurt between my toes. Maybe you need longer skinny toes to wear them. Does the part that goes between the toes soften over time? Are these comfortable for you right out of the box. I so want to wear these, but I have just about given up.

Has anyone found a brand of thongs that worked for them who also had the same problem as I have?

Love! Try Donald Pliner's shoes! They are stylish, not frumpy and comfortable. Not cheap either ~ $250 and up.

Last edited on 7/15/2011

Last edited on 7/15/2011

Desi1310782072.25714255 PostsRegistered 6/9/2007Ma

Shay, the Birk style you posted is what I got, but from another place. Ordered and cancelled that TSV until they sold out, that's how much I wanted them, but didn't want to have to return them.

Desi

aprilskies1310782545.5974871 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005

I cant wear them either. I have tried countless pairs even a pair by Born thinking the leather with soften but nope. I have long skinny toes so that is not it.

RebeccaJ1310782571.127858 PostsRegistered 2/28/2008Northeast Georgia

Perhaps you are like I am -- sensitive to all things latex. I bought a pair of Birkenstock sandals years ago (not realizing the "cork" sole was made of latex); wore them for one day and came home with swollen, red, itching toes and soles of my feet. YIKES! Many shoes (especially thong sandals) are made with latex, so. . . perhaps that is the problem?

It's so annoying to be "sensitive" -- I've had to change so much in what I wear; you'd be surprised what has latex in it!

Just a thought....

Rebecca J.

Marlies1310782997.773139 PostsRegistered 4/18/2006

Try a pair of Spenco Orthotic Flip-Flops. They are very comfortable because they conform to your foot, keep your ankles and legs in alignment and are very affordable.

baby burns1310784457.1638793 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007

they just take some time to break them in, do not be a sissy, try them around the house, you will get use to them, and love them, like i do. just makesure the part that goes between your toes is leather, the plastic between the toes is a killer.

Shay1310786428.7431239 PostsRegistered 9/8/2005
On 7/15/2011 Desi said:

Shay, the Birk style you posted is what I got, but from another place. Ordered and cancelled that TSV until they sold out, that's how much I wanted them, but didn't want to have to return them.

I got the TSV. Love them! So cute, and luckily they don't irritate me anywhere. I love my Birks, though. They've given me so much relief from plantar fasciitis.

Sketchers makes some pretty comfortable ones with toe loops, too.

Desi1310787257.16714255 PostsRegistered 6/9/2007Ma

Shay, glad you love them. I was a chicken, lol! If they had the soft footbed I would definitely have ordered. I am spoiled by the soft ones, not sure I can go back. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Desi

Shay1310787376.641239 PostsRegistered 9/8/2005
On 7/15/2011 Desi said:

Shay, glad you love them. I was a chicken, lol! If they had the soft footbed I would definitely have ordered. I am spoiled by the soft ones, not sure I can go back. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Oh, I really! love! the soft footbed! I wish they did more styles with that footbed. I have to get the regular (open footprint) width, and there are so few styles in the soft footbed.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next