Share the Love
152 Members and 16401 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Dry Itchy, Flaky, red, irritated eyelids......

Started 1260804232 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1263196125 by pinklady2
After battling this for over a month now and getting no relief from anything I have tried:_| ...have a Derm appt. this afternoon. Just can't take the irritation any longer...actually put Vaseline on them Sat. night ony to wake up with my lids worse...looked like Ihad been sitting in the sun for hours, they were so red it looked like a sunburn. This is not the first time I have had this problem, so hopefully, I will get some relief!
Wish me luck!!
--
"Life is like a pathway of pure untrodden snow. Be careful how you step in it for every mark will show"
fair skin/cool/pink undertones, blue eyes, dk strawberry blond hair

In my 40"s light skintone-cool/pink undertones, super senistive/acne prone, some discoloration,large pores,blue eyes dark strawberry blond hair

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
buddylou12608044194778 PostsRegistered 4/24/2007
Good luck beanly, I hope you can finally get some releif. This is terrible, did some kind of eye makeup do this? Bless your heart, let us know after you see the doctor. :-x

ok212608044484688 PostsRegistered 7/13/2007
Good luck beanly, and let us know what your derm prescribes. Mine aren't that great right now, either. Between the cold, dry air, and allergies....
I don't know what to put on them anymore!

blue_weima­raner12608052331138 PostsRegistered 7/17/2007Pennsylvania
What you're describing sounds like a form of eyelid eczema. (your derm will know for sure of course...) I had the same symptoms brought on by an eye cream I tried last year that contained Retinol....(very bad for me)
My eyelids haven't really been the same since, but I have had excellent results with AtoPalm MLE cream (I buy it at Skinstore)
It's steroid-free, so no side effects. I haven't had an eczema flare up since I found out about it. Really calms and soothes, it's rich without being greasy or heavy.
(Your derm will probably prescribe a steriod cream for your eyelids and it will most likely help....he will tell you not to use it forever though, because of the side effects)
Anyway, good luck and I hope you get relief. I know it feels like you want to claw your skin off....Here's a link to the AtoPalm if you're curious:
[url http://www.skinstore.com/p-986-atopalm-mle-cream.aspx][/url]

my weimaraner is smarter than your honor student

* whatever doesn't kill me had better start running *

Divine Mis­s Em126083492818 PostsRegistered 11/26/2008
Oh, Beanly, I hope the Derm Doc can sort this out for you. Sounds like you are just miserable!
I live in the desert in California and recommend the Boots Expert Sensitive Hydrating Eye Cream which you can put both on undereye and eyelid. Very emollient. You can purchase for ~$6-$7 at Target or at drugstore dot com.
Hope you are feeling better soon!

beanly12608392842948 PostsRegistered 1/17/2006
Well...the trip to the derm has left me with mixed feelings. She prescriped Protopic(which I have to wait to get from my mail order Pharmacy as getting it at the drugstore was over $140 with my Prescription card :O)...she told me to apply twice daily with nothing else on my eyes.
She said it was a type of contact or atopic dermatitis. Can't really tell me what is causing it, but wanted me to come back in January for skin patch testing for certain chemicals. We don't have the best insurance, so I am going to wait and see. I have had this before, and it had cleared up on its own and it comes and goes at different times of the year, worse in winter.....I honestly do not think it is something I am using on my face....I have not changed skin care products for over 5 years and my basic everyday routine is the same. My skin is so super sensitive that if I do apply a new foundation...if it does not agree with me, I usually break out in cystic bumps within an hour or so.
This rash is only on the upper eye area (area above crease of lid to just under eyebrow)...weird.
So anyway..thanks for listening...have to wait the 7-10 days now for the prescription to arrive...ughhhh...
--
"Life is like a pathway of pure untrodden snow. Be careful how you step in it for every mark will show"

In my 40"s light skintone-cool/pink undertones, super senistive/acne prone, some discoloration,large pores,blue eyes dark strawberry blond hair

beanly12608393192948 PostsRegistered 1/17/2006
Wanted to add that I welcome any and all suggestions for "at home remedies"!!!!
--

skyblue12608394993004 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004
My eyelids started getting red and itchy when I repurchased Lancome's Bifacil eye makeup remover. I wondered if they reformulated it. I have used it for years without an issue. I used a diaper rash cream that helped. Now I need to find a new eye makeup remover.

lawlady1260840409881 PostsRegistered 10/27/2007Texas
Do you have rosacea? My mother does and she has a similar eye condition. The opthamologist called it Occular Rosacea. Basically, the rosacea has spread to her eyes. She now has to take 100 mg doxycylcline twice a day forever.

Patty from­ The Bronx12608409771 PostsRegistered 12/14/2009
I have used Bifacil for years as well, and it is the ONLY thing that really removes the waterproof mascaras (Which I must wear as my eyes tend to tear) without excessive pulling and rubbing of the eyelids.
My best suggestion is one that won't cost you a fortune; try some Pond's cold cream to your eyes (and face for all makeup removal), rub in till the mascara seems to be coming off easily, and remove with a tissue till gone. If your face feels too greasy, follow with a facial cleanser such as Purity by Philosophy, and rinse till clean with warm water. The Purity can also be used on the eyes, but is not very effective for waterproof mascaras.
Good luck!

beanly12608416062948 PostsRegistered 1/17/2006
I just looked up Protopic and found out it carried a "black box" cancer warning....ughh.....why would they prescribe that!!! I guess the amount used on the eyelid is such a tiny amount and only using it until the area clears..but still????!!!!!
--

Lotus~126084518834722 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY
beanly.........call the Derm office and explain that you use mail away and see if they can give you a sample to hold you over.
ETA........have you tried Benedryl oral medication? It might help.
--
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.Dream. Discover"
~Mark Twain~
--
Edited by LotusLvr at 12/14/2009 5:48 PM PST

Last edited on 12/14/2009

RIP Jack <3 , my "Old Man" 7/31/13 Be nice to Ashley.

My sweet girl Ashley crossed over The Rainbow Bridge, Wed., 5/22/13. Miss you madly sweet girl. <3

Chagirl12608476314 PostsRegistered 11/13/2005
I had something similar a few months ago. Would wake up in the night with tingling eyelids, the skin would get very red then tight and dry, then peel. That went on for 2-3 weeks. Derm prescribed hydrocortisone ointment usp 2.5%, which was very inexpensive - under $2 with my prescription plan for a 1 oz tube. Cleared up in a couple of days. Don't know what caused it. Good luck to you!

NeetaLyn12608497562677 PostsRegistered 7/27/2008Maryland
> I had something similar a few months ago. Would wake
> up in the night with tingling eyelids, the skin would
> get very red then tight and dry, then peel. That went
> on for 2-3 weeks. Derm prescribed hydrocortisone
> ointment usp 2.5%, which was very inexpensive - under
> $2 with my prescription plan for a 1 oz tube. Cleared
> up in a couple of days. Don't know what caused it.
> Good luck to you!
Agree w/Chagirl. I have atopic dermatitis from time to time, usually from allergies. I get very red irritated eyelids. The only thing that helps them is hydrocortisone - I usually just buy the over the counter kind and it works wonders. Its the only thing that works for me.
--
"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." - Randy Pausch
support Pancreatic Cancer research

50yo; combo. sensitive skin;minimal wrinkles but prone to some redness

Support Pancreatic Cancer Research - KNOW IT, FIGHT IT, END IT!

maestra12608498928121 PostsRegistered 3/13/2008longing for a previous life
Sometimes washing w/diluted J and J Baby Shampoo is recommended by derms and eye doctors.
--
Fur unconditional love go to www.carolinacockers.com.Our little man, Indy, has brought so much joy to our lives. 4 legged love is waiting for you, too.

No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. John Donne, Meditation XVII

Lotus~126084996234722 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY
Don't put any cortisone on your eyelids unless the doctor tells you to.
--
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.Dream. Discover"
~Mark Twain~

RIP Jack <3 , my "Old Man" 7/31/13 Be nice to Ashley.

My sweet girl Ashley crossed over The Rainbow Bridge, Wed., 5/22/13. Miss you madly sweet girl. <3

jesuschick12608517401545 PostsRegistered 3/20/2008Kansas City, MO
Oh, beanly. You sound like ME! This has regularly happened to me. It is an odd sensation-painful dry, yet kind of weepy, eyelids! I am allergic to so many botanicals (everything from poison ivy to high end skin care!). The first instance was a pink eyeshadow. I am allergic to red dye 40 and now 33. No plums, burgundy or even red brown shadows. I can also do no shimmers or frost on my eyes. I switched to baby shampoo to remove makeup and cleanse my face. This was suggested by my doctor. I have only ever been given steroids taken by mouth or taken benadryl or zyrtec. I have not been given a cream. I would NEVER suggest you do something not suggested by your doctor, but the baby wash or shampoo makes the biggest difference for me. You may wish to call and ask if this is something they would approve until your prescription arrives. One other thing that I will add is that one woman's miracle product can be another's nightmare. A friend with beautiful skin gave me a bottle of her Aveda skin cream. It has transformed her skin. My 1 use sent me to the doctor. My skin, apparently, sees no difference between poison ivy and herbs used in skin care, so it really is variable. Makes me VERY skittish to try anything new! Blessings to you as you heal-I hope that they can suggest something OTC until you get your medication!

beanly12608832032948 PostsRegistered 1/17/2006
Thanks for all your replies!! I so do appreciate it!
When I had seen my regular family dr. for this problem, he suggested over the counter hydrocortisone cream and it worked the first time...this time, not getting rid of it. the derm actually does not recommend the hydrocortisone as prolonged use can cause cataracts/glacuoma(sp?)....but gee, the new prescrip. has skin cancer warnings...darned either way :_|
I am back to using baby shampoo to wash my eyes at night...My new unopened MUFE eye makeup remover is going back to Sephora....not chancing anything else on my eyes for a while. I was reading a bit about eyelid dernatitis online and it suggested that more often than not, it is a reaction to something in the air..which would make sense....this started about 9 months after we moved to this state....never had this in NJ....but that could be a coincidence...or not???
--

SweetNothi­ns1260883359899 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006
Same identical problem here - suffered a YEAR before finally going to my MD who was clueless, then to a dermatologist who immed. wrote an Rx for safe-for-the-eye-area hydrocortizone cream. REALLY cleared it up and stopped the itching/pain within 1-2 applications.
The cream, tho generic, is NOT on the Walmart $4 list.

ok212608850184688 PostsRegistered 7/13/2007
For eyes, I prefer my opthalmologist over my derm (love her though). I have blepharitis and ocular roseacea. Lately, the area around my eyes, and the lids too, has become overly sensitive and dry. I think I've narrowed it down to the Pampers Baby Wipes with Aloe that I've been using! I use them after working out, to cleanse my face and eye area, instead of using a facial cleanser. I've been using them for a couple of months now, and haven't added anything else, new, to my routine.
At night, I wash my eyes with a little J & J 'poo and water, then using a Qtip, dip into a little of the mixture, and gently wash the lash lines. I have to use rx Erythromycin ointment, in my eyes, every night! TG, it's not drying, because it contains mineral oil and petrolatum....don't even use an eye cream, overnight. When I get up in the morning, I wash them again with the baby 'poo and water.

blue_weima­raner12608910271138 PostsRegistered 7/17/2007Pennsylvania
Dear Beanly,
Atopic Dermatitis is one of the many forms of eczema. Weather changes, stress, allergens, (pet dander) and harsh detergents can cause a flareup.
Protopic is a immunosuppressant that is designed to weaken your body's immune system (thus decreasing your allergic reaction which is the rash) ....this is what I was referring to earlier when I mentioned side effects caused by prescription creams. The FDA stresses that this medication should only be used as a last resort after trying other treatments.
Like you said, you don't think this is from something you are using on your face, I think you're right. The climate change and staying indoors in dry air can even bring this on.
Aveeno makes a moisturier called "Eczema Care" which helped me before I found out about AtoPalm. (I still do swear by AtoPalm) I think I bought the Aveeno at Target for about $7.
You can control this, it's just a matter of finding out what works for you!

my weimaraner is smarter than your honor student

* whatever doesn't kill me had better start running *

stripyfax1260891398326 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005
Hi Beanly,
I had a similar problem and it turned out I was having an allergic reaction to nail polish. Once I took the polish off it cleared up on it's own without any medicine. My sister is a doctor and she said this is more common than people realize and often overlooked. So, just thought I would throw that out there in case you are wearing polish you could try removing it and washing your hands really well afterwards and see if that does you any good.

beanly12608918032948 PostsRegistered 1/17/2006
> Hi Beanly,
> I had a similar problem and it turned out I was
> was having an allergic reaction to nail polish. Once
> I took the polish off it cleared up on it's own
> without any medicine. My sister is a doctor and she
> said this is more common than people realize and
> often overlooked. So, just thought I would throw
> that out there in case you are wearing polish you
> could try removing it and washing your hands really
> well afterwards and see if that does you any good.
That was the first thing the doctor asked...if I wear Nail Polish...I wish it was that simple...I never have my finger nails polished. :(
--

KateBB1260892639108 PostsRegistered 11/17/2004
I've had a similar problem earlier this year. I believe it started with a reaction to Physicians Formula eye makeup remover pads. The entire eye area turned beet red and was sore -- and I looked like heck. To get rid of the rash, I used a naturopathic ointment called Florasone; I recommend it for any rash: it's better than hydrocortisone, and gentler.
Now I'm having irritation again and it may be due to a retinol product. Sometimes effective products are harsh; I'll have to cut back.
The PF eye pads contain Cocamidopropyl Betaine -- this stuff is in facial cleansers, removers, shower gels, everything! In researching my problem, I discovered that it's a known irritant so I've been avoiding it.
Good luck!

stripyfax1260895752326 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005
oh, that's a shame Beanly, the nail polish would have been an easy fix. I hope you figure it out and get better soon :)

flycatcher­91012609522581575 PostsRegistered 10/5/2008
Hi Beanly,
I can totally relate, as I have extremely sensitive skin that gets irritated easily. I have had allergic reactions and sensitivities to products, and I have to be careful about what I use on my hair, and on my face too. I too have problems around my eye area, with blepharitis, and have eye allergies too. I don't wear any kind of eye make-up anymore.
I am sorry that you have to go through the situation that you are in, and I hope that you feel better soon.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next