Better Than Black Friday
106 Members and 14723 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Best eyeshadow to diminish crepey eyelids?

Started 1309287876.66 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1309894879.38 by txrose

I am looking for eyeshadow that will help diminish the look of my crepey eyelids. My husband calls me "alligator eyes" because all my eyeshadow seems to magnify the wrinkles on my eyelids. Please help!

Page 1 of 1
happy hous­ewife1309287952.83732677 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

i believe that as we get older the less eye makeup the better and I would think eye shadow would emphasize creapy eye lids.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

Miss Minne­sota1309288051.64432 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007

Bobbi Brown cream eyeshadow is the only shadow that works with my crepey lids, it also stays on (crease-free) for the 14 hours I need it to last.

Farmers da­ughter1309288231.5071415 PostsRegistered 8/28/2008

This isn't what you asked for, but are you using any eye creams on the upper aspect and even the eyelids? Many of the creams are now formulated for these areas. Also, are you using an eyelid primer? Finding items that agree with you might help with your issue.

momcat1309288393.6136438 PostsRegistered 9/12/2010
On 6/28/2011 Farmers daughter said:

This isn't what you asked for, but are you using any eye creams on the upper aspect and even the eyelids? Many of the creams are now formulated for these areas. Also, are you using an eyelid primer? Finding items that agree with you might help with your issue.

I was going to suggest this too. Seems to work for me, and I can really tell when I forget to use my cream.

Let me know if you suddenly become interesting.

lovestotea­ch1309288587.0415281 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009DFW Metroplex, Tx

Here's my drill (HG), which seems to work well for me (I'm 59) EI solutions "Eye Refine" which contains a very light a-hydroxyacid and also gets rid of "the crepes." On top (for lid) Clinique Touch base in Canvas 10, which has a slight sheen. The C also tends to dry out, so if I don't use it every day (summer-- lazy) I keep the foil "seal" that comes with it b/c once it dries out its useless!

Lovestoteach~ ~ ♥ ♥♥

sweetsue_981309289619.81032 PostsRegistered 9/24/2006

I used to have this problem, but had them fixed. Now I can wear all kinds of pretty eyeshadows, and actually have gone right to MAC and had two of the 15 palettes made up with colors I like. The gal I spoke to recommended the satin finish, versus the matte. I am very pleased with their product. I do use a primer for my lids, and it is also from MAC and like it the best of any I have tried. I also recommend getting a couple of their good brushes. Do not buy MAC anwhere except MAC. You will end up with a bunch of fake products.

Also, I recommend watching some of the better eyeshadow videos on utube, especially the ones for "mature" eyes.....there are lots of tips which make a big difference. If you live close to a MAC counter (I do not) you can get your eye makeup done and that might help. Don't be afraid of a little color.

Tell your husband that I said his comment wasn't very nice, and if you want to get those fixed someday, it takes about an hour, and they look new again.

poregirl1309290271.8837424 PostsRegistered 10/12/2009great white north

sounds like a matte shadow would be a better choice. Revlon has some

‎Enough with the animal testing. Shame on you BATH&BODYWORKS, L'oreal, Olay ,Cover Girl, Revlon, Maybelline, Neutrogena, Avon

lovestotea­ch1309290429.87715281 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009DFW Metroplex, Tx

sweetsue: is it painful to have it fixed? what is the recovery time? thanks for sharing...

Lovestoteach~ ~ ♥ ♥♥

sweetsue_981309291136.6531032 PostsRegistered 9/24/2006
On 6/28/2011 lovestoteach said:

sweetsue: is it painful to have it fixed? what is the recovery time? thanks for sharing...

Not at all. I had a local, and was there a little over an hour. Came back in a week had the stitches taken out, and slowly the swelling went away. That was about 2 months ago. I work from home, so I had no down time except that first day I took it easy.

It is a very minor surgery, they just take the loose skin out, and it does make a BIG difference. It cost $1900 in the Midwest.

redtabby1309291190.7373720 PostsRegistered 8/18/2005

Sephora has a eyeshadow primer that is moisturizing, I found many primers were drying. It is called Perfecting Eye Primer. Here is a link to the item: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P266303&categoryId=C17360&shouldPaginate=true

hungarian41309309799.2371423 PostsRegistered 8/28/2010

good info..

scottygal1309310460.831866 PostsRegistered 4/6/2006

....and what do you call HIM???...

betteb1309310691.9316812 PostsRegistered 1/1/2008The Land of Oz
On 6/28/2011 Miss Minnesota said:

Bobbi Brown cream eyeshadow is the only shadow that works with my crepey lids, it also stays on (crease-free) for the 14 hours I need it to last.

I agree about Bobbi Brown Long Wear Cream Eyeshadows..love! I especially love the color Galaxy as an everyday color that looks good on just about everyone.

I also agree about using an eyelid primer first.

And with Sweetsue..Not very nice comment from hubby. Men sometimes just don't realize they do not always need to be brutally honest with you. Wink

And welcome to the boardsSmile

"God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes. 'Cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues" Everlast

deja vu1309317241.136206 PostsRegistered 7/9/2007East Coast

I know you didn't ask for this but it helped all my eye shadows tremendously...

Laura Geller's new Waterproof eye spackle pen #a215623 I got the fair/light....I didn't use the pen to swipe it on. I put it on my finger and worked off of that dabbing it on both eyes, actually I was not expecting anything special since I already use other good products. I figured I was just going to have to live with the way my shadows looked...

...Boy was I surprised my eyeshadow never looked better and it didn't move for 2 days and nights..I was so amazed the first time I used it I just wanted to see how long it stayed in tact.

Hope you find what you need...deja vu

~ life is short~pick your battles ~

SuzK1309347080.723385 PostsRegistered 5/16/2009

I have the same issue as you. Another vote for Bobbi Brown cream eyeshadow.

4doggies1309349170.193501 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I've also found that it helps to dab or press (rather than sweep the brush) along the eyelids--it leaves a much smoother surface.

indywhisper1309379504.853187 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007

2nd the suggestion to go to a MAC store, if there are any that are close to you. If not, or if you don't feel comfortable having a MAC artist apply an eyeshadow look on you, another option is MAC's "live chat" on their website. I'm in my 40s, and stated this during my chat with the makeup artist...they also ask for your hair and eye color, etc. She offered a couple of suggestions for me, and then at the end of the chat, she provided a discount code to use if I decided to place an order. I wish that one of the makeup lines on QVC would offer this type of service; it would be so much fun!

bizziebee0­071309457323.9373251 PostsRegistered 1/13/2010Philly Burbs

i have the same problem! i tend to use MAC shadows or BB cream shadows w/a MAC paintpot as an e/s base to minimize the crepiness.

if you use powder e/s...a MUA once showed me a trick...she took a tiny little dab of moisturizer on a qtip and gently swiped it across my lid AFTER the shadow had been applied. it really smoothed out the "alligator" look beautifully.

MEAN HUBBY...kick him the a$$!!!!

the key to looking younger, is to stand next to someone who looks older than you...get the heck away from me!!!
--------------------------------------------------

ladyroxanne1309463132.7111014 PostsRegistered 3/25/2008northern ca

i agree that using a cream eyeshadow is your best bet.

ScrapHappy1309464159.373388 PostsRegistered 8/14/2007

I vote for Bobbi Brown cream eyeshadows. They're GREAT!

ScrapHappy

straykatz1309464295.219004 PostsRegistered 6/13/2007

What do you use for an eyecream? I started using Lacura Eye Cream several months ago and the improvement on my eyelids is amazing.....I recommended this to my friend who is in her mid 60's and she is having great results too....plus it only costs a little over 3 bucks....my eyelids are much smoother and the crepiness is diminished plus my undereyes is looking much smoother too (my friend says the same).....I wear matte shadows and avoid any with shine/glitter.

@-->-->---

Eat less, move more, buy less, make more, stress less, laugh more, feel blessed, love more....find a quiet spot every day and breathe.

cosmeticsa­ddict1309614501.5910 PostsRegistered 6/28/2011

I am new to the beauty banter forum, so thanks for all the replies. I am 35 but have found I cannot wear shimmer eyeshadow. I actually went to sephora and they recommended anastasia illumin8 eyeshadow palettes and I LOVE them. I have noticed a huge difference. I am just so sad I have to get rid of all my other eyeshadow to get a more youthful look. Now, on the search for the best primer. Thanks again everyone!!!!

lbbdwb1309811622.07377 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Shadows with shimmer, even in those with just a little, will show off the crepeyness. I stopped wearing shimmer shadows and wear matte now and my eyelids look smooth, whereas they looked crepey and wrinkles when I wore shimmer shadows.

The difficulty is that almost every eye shadow, from every brand, has shimmer so they like to imply that they look good on everyone so they can keep selling tons of them. They aren't interested in making more matte eye shadows since most makeup is developed for young people. Mature ladies aren't the market they want to win over.

Shimmer is very pretty in the container, but I find that it rarely looks good on anybody, even young eyelids. When older ladies (40+) say they think shimmer shadows look good on them and make them look younger, I think that they don't see what I see when I look at them. I usually think to myself how awful their eyelids look, but if they agreed with me, they wouldn't wear shimmer, so they must think it looks good. Most of the Bobbi Brown cream shadows have shimmer and I find them to be just as bad as powder shimmers for making my eye lids look wrinkled, even if they are creams. There are a few matte shades in this brand and those are ok.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited on 7/4/2011

Last edited on 7/4/2011

poregirl1309889639.1537424 PostsRegistered 10/12/2009great white north
On 7/4/2011 lbbdwb said:

Shadows with shimmer, even in those with just a little, will show off the crepeyness. I stopped wearing shimmer shadows and wear matte now and my eyelids look smooth, whereas they looked crepey and wrinkles when I wore shimmer shadows.

The difficulty is that almost every eye shadow, from every brand, has shimmer so they like to imply that they look good on everyone so they can keep selling tons of them. They aren't interested in making more matte eye shadows since most makeup is developed for young people. Mature ladies aren't the market they want to win over.

Shimmer is very pretty in the container, but I find that it rarely looks good on anybody, even young eyelids. When older ladies (40+) say they think shimmer shadows look good on them and make them look younger, I think that they don't see what I see when I look at them. I usually think to myself how awful their eyelids look, but if they agreed with me, they wouldn't wear shimmer, so they must think it looks good. Most of the Bobbi Brown cream shadows have shimmer and I find them to be just as bad as powder shimmers for making my eye lids look wrinkled, even if they are creams. There are a few matte shades in this brand and those are ok.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited on 7/4/2011

BINGO! I couldnt agree with you more. You speak the truth. Although many dont want to hear it. The thing that scared me once was a gal wearing some BE flamingo colored eyeshadow that was super aging. She was about 10 years younger than me but that shadow aged her something awful. I swore that I would never look like that. It looked so crinkly, wrinkly & dried it grossed me out.

Wetnwild Is going to have full matte pallette before years end. Also theres a new Tarte pallete that is half matte now. Matte is out there you just have to look more for it.

‎Enough with the animal testing. Shame on you BATH&BODYWORKS, L'oreal, Olay ,Cover Girl, Revlon, Maybelline, Neutrogena, Avon

txrose1309894879.347962 PostsRegistered 10/16/2007

someone else wrote in about shadow and crepey/dry eye lids, any shadow cream or other wise will bring out crepey/dry eye lids, you have to address the problem first with an eye cream that will work on the lids, i use origins starting over, i have tried other, but this one works for me, once you've healed your eye lid your shadows will look great!

Page 1 of 1