A Day of Vicenza Style(R)
103 Members and 12505 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Does Vitamin C serum really keep your skin wrinkle free?

Started 1308168056.667 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1312308714.417 by Summer Grace

theres a woman in the salon I go to, and she is 60 years old. I think she looks great for her age, well she was trying to sell me this obagi line skin care. she said she used to have these thick lines going across her cheeks, and the vitamin C serum and the obagi line skin care, took it all away .. can this stuff really do that ???? without any surgical treatments ???

Just wondering if shes full of it LOL

She does look great .. yes she has under eye wrinkles and her neck is hanging/wrinkled what have you... but she really looks pretty good for her age..

Thanks

Deb

:)

Page 1 of 2
Dharma_Ini­tiative1308168374.6074147 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007

Here is an article about Vitamin C in skincare. I'm about to begin using a retinol product with vitamin C. I've read a lot of good things about using a vit C product. This article has some good tips about choosing a good one (although it's from a few years ago).

http://www.truthinskincare.com/2008/02/truth-about-vitamin-c-in-skincare.html

Deb7771308168418.236929 PostsRegistered 6/25/2005
On 6/15/2011 Dharma_Initiative said:

Here is an article about Vitamin C in skincare. I'm about to begin using a retinol product with vitamin C. I've read a lot of good things about using a vit C product. This article has some good tips about choosing a good one (although it's from a few years ago).

http://www.truthinskincare.com/2008/02/truth-about-vitamin-c-in-skincare.html

thank you Dharma

Deb

:)

Dharma_Ini­tiative1308170820.4734147 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007

You're welcome. Here's some more info I got from the skinactives website.

The vitamin C we ingest with our food and multivitamins may not reach our skin in quantities high enough to do everything that vitamin C is supposed to do. Ascorbic acid (and derivatives that our body can use) protect us from free radicals like those formed during exposure of our skin to UVA and UVB radiation. Ascorbic acid is also necessary to synthesize collagen, where is required to hydroxylate the amino acid proline after synthesis of the protein. Scurvy is a syndrome of vitamin C deficiency and is related to defective collagen synthesis. Ascorbic acid is known to inhibit synthesis of melanin, probably because melanin is made by our skin in response to stress, and ascorbic acid is in the first line of defense, preventing the damage before melanin synthesis can be initiated. Ascorbic acid and its derivatives promotes wound healing, controls inflammation and reduces erythema. In short, ascorbic acid is a safe active that will bring multiple benefits to your skin, preventing future damage but also repairing past damage to your skin by age and sun.

Smile

Deb7771308171934.6576929 PostsRegistered 6/25/2005
On 6/15/2011 Dharma_Initiative said:

You're welcome. Here's some more info I got from the skinactives website.

The vitamin C we ingest with our food and multivitamins may not reach our skin in quantities high enough to do everything that vitamin C is supposed to do. Ascorbic acid (and derivatives that our body can use) protect us from free radicals like those formed during exposure of our skin to UVA and UVB radiation. Ascorbic acid is also necessary to synthesize collagen, where is required to hydroxylate the amino acid proline after synthesis of the protein. Scurvy is a syndrome of vitamin C deficiency and is related to defective collagen synthesis. Ascorbic acid is known to inhibit synthesis of melanin, probably because melanin is made by our skin in response to stress, and ascorbic acid is in the first line of defense, preventing the damage before melanin synthesis can be initiated. Ascorbic acid and its derivatives promotes wound healing, controls inflammation and reduces erythema. In short, ascorbic acid is a safe active that will bring multiple benefits to your skin, preventing future damage but also repairing past damage to your skin by age and sun.

Smile

ty!

:)

OCGurl1308176659.1077505 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Palm Desert, CA

I believe it is a powerful antioxidant that helps in conjunction with other treatments such as retinol or retin A and Sunscreen, in prevention and fine lines, as for taking away deep wrinkles I cant attest to that,

I have only 2 deeper wrinkles (above each brow) and a "1" and I get botox for those as nothing budged those!

Vit C, retin A and sunscreen all helped with fine line prevention and Vit C and retin have helped with repair.


livein kin­dness1308176890.043698 PostsRegistered 12/17/2010Michigan

vitamin C did make my skin look better. However it did not stop or remove the wrinkles.

OCGurl1308178037.4437505 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Palm Desert, CA
On 6/15/2011 thinkhappy said:

vitamin C did make my skin look better. However it did not stop or remove the wrinkles.

yes I agree, I should have mentioned that it gives a great glow and brightness to the skin, even tone


ValentinaB­on1308178435.556934 PostsRegistered 3/18/2011

I'm not sure if the article addresses this or not but because Vitamin C isn't very stable in skincare products, when choosing Vitamin C skincare products it is best to use ones in tube form rather than jars (clear jar packaging is the worst!!) because Vitamin C can become oxidized the more exposed to air it becomes so opening a jar over and over allows more air to come into contact with the product. I also believe you should avoid exposing it to a lot of light, hence the reason clear packaging is even less ideal.

DUH....WENing! :)

Deb7771308181560.256929 PostsRegistered 6/25/2005
On 6/15/2011 ValentinaBon said:

I'm not sure if the article addresses this or not but because Vitamin C isn't very stable in skincare products, when choosing Vitamin C skincare products it is best to use ones in tube form rather than jars (clear jar packaging is the worst!!) because Vitamin C can become oxidized the more exposed to air it becomes so opening a jar over and over allows more air to come into contact with the product. I also believe you should avoid exposing it to a lot of light, hence the reason clear packaging is even less ideal.

I read this also.. and I read old vit c is even worse for the skin..

:)

Star Gazer­821308181610.77233 PostsRegistered 1/28/2010

Valentina, The article did address that, and also warned to not use expired products.

Make Up M­aiden1308182667.93535 PostsRegistered 4/2/2011

Hi Beauties ..

I noticed there's a Nutra Luxe MD Nourishing Vitamin C Serum *link* serum scheduled to air on HSN tomorrow (Thursday). This has received high ratings. I believe it might have been enclosed in one of the NutraSonic packages sold prior. I have it, and have tried it, altho not regularly. It absorbs well .. but I'm not sure how one tells if their Vitamin C serum is working well or not »:-)

Is there any feedback on this particular Vit C serum yet? Or any feedback about it's particular ingredients? TIA


♥†♥ “Sticks alone can be broken by a child. but sticks in a bundle are unbreakable.” ♥†♥

jacnit1308187125.552199 PostsRegistered 3/1/2010

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Mario Badescu Vit C Serum..I swear by this stuff...i've used it for 3 months now and i will NEVER be w/o it...i wake up w/glowing skin every morning now...smooth and fresh looking..and I did not have this skin before I started using this!! Not saying you have to use this brand..just that this is the one I use and love...this is the only beauty product i have ever used that 100% delivers as it says!

aprildiamo­nds1308189519.9766 PostsRegistered 7/26/2010

http://solomonhealing.wordpress.com/2010/02/27/vitamin-c-for-wrinkles-most-effective-on-the-skin-or-taken-orally/

This is a link to a good article regarding using vitamin c topically vs. orally. Also, it explains a great way to make it yourself at home under the "comments" section. I haven't tried it yet but I will.

iachick1308190135.7233100 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008

Vitamin C brightens the skin but doesn't get rid of wrinkles... you will need retinoids for that.

Kiss my mu­tt1308191003.9031314 PostsRegistered 12/31/2006

I use a vitamin C cream from DHC and it does brighten my skin but no real help for wrinkles.

poodlpoo1308191627.1534265 PostsRegistered 10/23/2010

It is NOT the vitamin c that she is talking about. It is the OBAGI. You use Obagi in conjunction with retin a. I'm sure that is what she means.

Sooner1308192189.65714887 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

No, none of this stuff will keep you young. It is a ploy to get billions of our dollars. Anyway, what is wrong with getting old? Really?

Marcee461308192305.657686 PostsRegistered 9/23/2007

I have been using Murad Essentual-C products for the past two weeks. I have the beginning of dark areas on my cheeks caused by hormones and not sun spots. I have posted alot this week and ALL of you have been very helpful for which I am very very thankful.

Although it is to soon to see if the lightning gel is working, I can say my skin is brighter which is great. However the gel comes in a clear bottle which I assume is not good. However, this is the first product line that I have not had any adverse reactions. The only problem is the moisturizer is not strong enough for my extra dry skin, however Murad does have a better one. BTW, I have problems with products that have retinol in them.

Now with all this said, it may be to early but none of these products have helped the few lines I have on my face. I guess it may be a trade-off....either bright skin and hopefully helping dark spots with vitamin c products vs products that help with lines and wrinkles.

I wish there was an easy answer!{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Just a side note...I forgot to mention Cellex-c does have a serum with vitamin c that is suppose to help lines and wrinkles. They have one that is for sensitive skin which sounds good but the price of $110.00 which is on the very high side, IMHO!

Last edited on 6/15/2011

Last edited on 6/15/2011

Make Up M­aiden1308208039.327535 PostsRegistered 4/2/2011

I was thinking that a Vitamin C serum was like putting a "rust retardant" on metal, only its the complexion equivalent. I'm thinking of the demos that put Vitamin C serums on a cut apple, for instance.. I seem to remember. But if this is true, how would one possibly tell if a Vitamin C serum was keeping our face from "rusting?" heh

Anyway.. I hope to catch this a Nutra Luxe MD Nourishing Vitamin C Serum *link* on HSN today (Thursday) and learn more about it. I had to wait quite awhile for this product to come back in stock and I want to hear what all the stir is about. I believe it has the Vitamin C captured in these little globules which are protected in the serum and the globules break open only at the time of application. This fascinates me heh


♥†♥ “Sticks alone can be broken by a child. but sticks in a bundle are unbreakable.” ♥†♥

cassiem1308216441.3076807 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 6/15/2011 poodlpoo said:

It is NOT the vitamin c that she is talking about. It is the OBAGI. You use Obagi in conjunction with retin a. I'm sure that is what she means.

Obagi has several different lines of skin care, including a vitamin c line, which is what the OP was talking about. You're thinking of the NutraDerm line. Obagi also has an acne line and line for rosacea. The vitamin c line is called Obagi-C RX, plus there is the Obagi Professional C serum.

http://www.obagi.com/patients/product-line/professional-c-serum

http://www.obagi.com/patients/product-line/obagi-c-rx

Last edited on 6/16/2011

Last edited on 6/16/2011

littlepixie1308234762.53443 PostsRegistered 4/2/2011New York, NY
On 6/15/2011 ValentinaBon said:

I'm not sure if the article addresses this or not but because Vitamin C isn't very stable in skincare products, when choosing Vitamin C skincare products it is best to use ones in tube form rather than jars (clear jar packaging is the worst!!) because Vitamin C can become oxidized the more exposed to air it becomes so opening a jar over and over allows more air to come into contact with the product. I also believe you should avoid exposing it to a lot of light, hence the reason clear packaging is even less ideal.

Yes, Vit C in powder form added to your daily moisturizer is the best way to use it. Philosophy has one in powder form, at sephora, as do other brands.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant .

randylynns1308247823.9726 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have been using vit.c serum from a line called skin organics by ann web for about a year. My skin looks great.It is so soft and supple. I have no lines and I am 58. I know that genetics has a lot to do with it, but this line is amazing. They also have a moisturizer called drench made with cherries that I love. You can get it on drugstore dot com or at amazon, and at some whole foods. I do swear be this stuff. I put it all over my face(including around my eyes),neck,chest and the back of my hands. I also use it on my nails. Love it!

Dharma_Ini­tiative1308251918.0574147 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007

randylynns,

Did you have any lines before you started using these products?

poodlpoo1308259494.4974265 PostsRegistered 10/23/2010

"the vitamin C serum and the obagi line skin care"

I did not take from her post, that she meant the vitamin c line. It sounded like she said the obagi vitamin c serum, since she said "vitamin c SERUM", not the vitamin c line. They have a C serum that is not/does not have to be part of the C line. I could be wrong. But, I highly doubt the woman was saying that the C serum took care of her wrinkles. It was the OBAGI, and the C serum helped.

cassiem1308265381.8136807 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

And I took it to mean that she used the vitamin c serum + the vitamin c line. OBAGI could refer to any one of the skin care lines and since OBAGI recommends the c line with the serum, I was assuming she was using them altogether. In any case, it's difficult to tell if one product or the whole line is responsible for the changes she was seeing.

Page 1 of 2