Back to School
96 Members and 10855 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Is there a cheaper alternative to WEN?

Started 1308061809.493 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1308227480.533 by waterbaby

I have never tried any of the WEN products, and although I would love to, I just can't afford it right now. My hair is fine, curly, and very brittle! I was just wondering if there are any other products out there that compare to WEN. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2
Caseyandba­ileysmom1308062291.26941 PostsRegistered 9/1/2006

Hair One at Sally Beauty Supply. I used the one for curly hair this morning in anticipation of me Wen arriving. I think it's comparable, but doesn't smell as nice, and doesn't condition as nice. It's worth the 10 or so dollars to see if you like this method of cleansing.

michlady11308064485.4411530 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007SE Michigan

Actually, just try using a conditioner. I used Wen and it did nothing wonderful for my hair and someone on this board posted about trying a Suave conditioner. I did and got pretty much the same results with the cheap Suave than with Wen. Can't hurt to try.

Go Tigers!!!

PA-RN1308072014.013408 PostsRegistered 5/10/2011

You can try Hair One at Sallys to get the gist of it, but I tried it and tossed it and went back to WEN..Its just not the same.

Karena1308073037.775445 PostsRegistered 6/30/2008Bay Area, California

I tried Hair One out of curiosity, and it's really nothing like WEN. It took three days on WEN to get my hair back to decent shape after using Hair One. Awful! It may look like WEN, but it's a far cry from it.

Last edited on 6/14/2011

Last edited on 6/14/2011

Caseyandba­ileysmom1308073123.713941 PostsRegistered 9/1/2006

Oh, and hair one has sample packets for a few dollars. I do agree though, Wen is better. But at least this gives you an idea.

Harpa1308073240.67369 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

He uses a lot of botanicals. You might look at some lines such as Aveeno, Aubrey, Burt's Bees, Jason - but I've never used any of these as condition only. Some of the Jason S&C sets were okay.

CocoaMolly1308075466.55819 PostsRegistered 1/1/2007Midwest

I recently read on a couple of beauty boards about Tresemme Naturals conditioner being a great co-wash. I had bought a large bottle quite a while ago but never really used it. So, the past couple of days, I've been using it as a co-wash (conditioner washing) and have actually been pleasantly surprised by how much I like it. I have thick curly, yet fine in texture, hair that is dry. I've been really battling my hair lately so figured I'd give this a try. I'm definitely giving it two thumbs up. I've tried Wen in the past but it is just too expensive for me. I have to wash my hair every day to every other day. I think this works just as good as Wen IMO. There are 3 formulas (moisturing, volumizing and one other I think).

Josea9221308077327.054335 PostsRegistered 11/20/2006

I may be in the minority here, but I preferred Hair One to Wen. It just worked better for me. I've also used philosophy pure grace conditioner and I probably liked that one most of all.

I'm back to sulfate-free shampoo now since it's what works for me.

blondegirl1308078780.321773 PostsRegistered 7/21/2006

I sell a great shampoo but don't advertise it here because it violates standards and IMO would be plain tacky to do that but anyhow. It is nontoxic and my hair looks as good as those WEN models. Burt's Bees was sold a few years ago and not so good anymore. Anything that is nontoxic and rinses well can be good too...

littlepixie1308080477.45443 PostsRegistered 4/2/2011New York, NY

Hair One is like the generic version of wen and also Lisa Rachel too. I have used them all and honestly Wen is the most moisturizing and also gives me more volume. But honestly, you should try to get one of the generic ones to see if you even like the process. Its a good start!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant .

cassiem1308147248.466666 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I actually have better results washing with conditioner only (same method as Wen without the leave-in) using cheap Suave coconut conditioner or VO5 kiwi clarifying conditioner. Wen irritates my scalp, causes horrific breakouts, and makes my hair fall out. It also leaves a film in my hair that builds up and makes my hair look greasy. I don't have any of those problems with the Suave or the VO5 and they are SO much cheaper!

Iwilltakee­asypay1308148882.657487 PostsRegistered 4/29/2009Maine

I used wen for a year.. ONly wen.. had lots of problems with hair loss and scalp issues..

I switched over to Natures gate Tee Tree Shampoo & Pomegranate Conditioner

Both are Sulfate free and Work for me Just as Nice as wen did with no side effects

I get them at walmart ..around 7-8.00 a bottle and they last a long time..

LAKitty1308149170.15247 PostsRegistered 3/12/2007

Another vote for Suave Coconut conditioner-cleansing! I have long, curly, highlighted (= dry & prone to frizzy) hair and this works wonderfully. I do apply a good salon quality conditioner after the Suave and use a leave-in as well.

Never tried Wen, so I can't compare. Based on the length of my hair & the number of "pumps" they recommend, I figure I'd go through the $$$ product too fast.

Saving the World ~ One Kitty at a Time... ~ The Greatness of a Nation & its Moral Progress can be Judged by the way its Animals are Treated ~ Gandhi

Jackie61308150901.913971 PostsRegistered 5/5/2007

I have used WEN for about 8 months now and in the beginning I was like everyone else. I loved it, my hair grew, blah, blah, blah. But the last couple of months I can't get my hair to do anything! I was blaming the cut, my hair, everything but the WEN. So I got disgusted and bought a bottle of Pantene. My hair looks great and I can style it. I still have a bottle and a half left of the WEN so I think I will use it about once a month but I think I am done with WEN. It's a lot of hype, IMO and I fell for it hook, line and sinker.

LipstickDi­va1308151244.8436894 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

I recently tossed a bottle of Hair One into the garbage. I tried WEN and my hair was horrible. I have thin, fine, poker straight hair and I couldn't get my hair to do anything. This was before Chaz came out with the lavendar line.

I would love for him to take someone with my horrible hair and demonstrate on air his product from washing through to styling. All we ever see are models with done hair.

Anyhow, I tried every which way with the Hair One and my hair was not moisturized, it was coming out by the handful and felt like straw. No matter how much I rinsed, it felt like my hair was coated.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

JMINNY1308151338.2372233 PostsRegistered 7/6/2006N.Y.
On 6/14/2011 Karena said:

I tried Hair One out of curiosity, and it's really nothing like WEN. It took three days on WEN to get my hair back to decent shape after using Hair One. Awful! It may look like WEN, but it's a far cry from it.

Last edited on 6/14/2011

Yes, I totally agree-my hair felt LIKE STRAW when I tried hair one....It took a few WEN cleanses to get it back to WEN condition...it is Junk-which is why it costs ten dollars!!!!

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.

I am a WEN girl, a Geller girl, a Mallinista, and proud of it!!!

Lugnut1308155345.863210 PostsRegistered 8/12/2006So.CA
On 6/14/2011 michlady1 said:

Actually, just try using a conditioner. I used Wen and it did nothing wonderful for my hair and someone on this board posted about trying a Suave conditioner. I did and got pretty much the same results with the cheap Suave than with Wen. Can't hurt to try.

I've gotta agree with Michlady 1, I too used the Suave conditioner that I already was using, without shampooing first, it's great! I ran out of that and had some Walmart brand conditioner, same good results. My hair is similar to the origninal posters; my hair is so soft and manageable, I love it, I have also noticed I can go longer between washings...gotta love all that!

puglet11308159727.091297 PostsRegistered 3/31/2011
On 6/15/2011 Iwilltakeeasypay said:

I used wen for a year.. ONly wen.. had lots of problems with hair loss and scalp issues..

I switched over to Natures gate Tee Tree Shampoo & Pomegranate Conditioner

Both are Sulfate free and Work for me Just as Nice as wen did with no side effects

I get them at walmart ..around 7-8.00 a bottle and they last a long time..

Thanks for the tip, easypay. I had the same exact experience with Wen. I'll give this a try! Sue98, you might want to visit the Wen category on the Menu before you spend your money -- while there are many, many people who swear by Wen, there is also an increasingly large group of those who have had tremendous problems with Wen, the most devastating being hair fallout!

UMTerpFan1308172146.2431629 PostsRegistered 3/26/2010

Sally Beauty HairOne Cucumber Aloe & Tea Tree are very good knock offs of WEN. I tried the Olive Oil & didn't like it, it left a film I could not get out. Have not tried Argan Oil yet.

Qgirl1308173194.6834167 PostsRegistered 4/20/2005

I have used Hair One for about two years now. I recently switched back to Wen Pomegranate and I couldn't believe the difference in my hair. I have a great hair day every day now with Wen. I will still use Hair One to clarify my hair. I think I get more shine with Wen, but Hair One is very comparable.

bruingirl1308174981.386727 PostsRegistered 8/3/2006Los Angeles, CA
On 6/15/2011 JMINNY said:

Last edited on 6/14/2011

Yes, I totally agree-my hair felt LIKE STRAW when I tried hair one....It took a few WEN cleanses to get it back to WEN condition...it is Junk-which is why it costs ten dollars!!!!

so glad I never tried Hair One....I've been tempted just to see how some can say its "comparable or a good knockoff" when clearly it isn't. The wen CC's are patented which is something Chaz doesn't mention often. I like to think of the wen vs Hair One like Oreo cookies vs. knockoff Oreo's....my tastebuds know the difference between a real Oreo and a knockoff! There's just no comparison....so I will continue w/my real Oreo's and wen {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Live.....Laugh.....Love

JMINNY1308178668.472233 PostsRegistered 7/6/2006N.Y.
On 6/15/2011 bruingirl said:

Last edited on 6/14/2011

so glad I never tried Hair One....I've been tempted just to see how some can say its "comparable or a good knockoff" when clearly it isn't. The wen CC's are patented which is something Chaz doesn't mention often. I like to think of the wen vs Hair One like Oreo cookies vs. knockoff Oreo's....my tastebuds know the difference between a real Oreo and a knockoff! There's just no comparison....so I will continue w/my real Oreo's and wen {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

So true bruingirl....You know, I always wondered about chaz having a patent...I thought if it wasen't patented he has to be crazy....I am so relieved for him to know he has one....and yes, that hair one is terrible...I had to try it just out of curiosity....not even close, although they are sneaky and say word for word on the bottle what chaz says...so many people probably believe it..but true WEN people know the difference just by consistency-before it even hits the hair....{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.

Pepsters21308179785.037148 PostsRegistered 6/1/2011

I use a product called Equalizer by a company called Zerran. Equalizer is a leave in or rinse out conditioner. Most days I just "wash" with it, rinse it out, then re apply and leave some in. I only use shampoo a couple times a week (deva no poo). Equalizer is by far the best product -- I use it just like a shampoo. Also, you can do the same thing with most conditioners out there. Herbal Essences line for curly hair -- totally twisted - also has a condition that I "wash" with and leave some in when I am done. For my hair )very thick and curly, sometimes frizzy) shampoo is only for about twice a week. But I need to wet it if I want it to look good, and that's when I use the conditioner as a shampoo.

JMINNY1308181037.2232233 PostsRegistered 7/6/2006N.Y.
On 6/15/2011 Pepsters2 said:

I use a product called Equalizer by a company called Zerran. Equalizer is a leave in or rinse out conditioner. Most days I just "wash" with it, rinse it out, then re apply and leave some in. I only use shampoo a couple times a week (deva no poo). Equalizer is by far the best product -- I use it just like a shampoo. Also, you can do the same thing with most conditioners out there. Herbal Essences line for curly hair -- totally twisted - also has a condition that I "wash" with and leave some in when I am done. For my hair )very thick and curly, sometimes frizzy) shampoo is only for about twice a week. But I need to wet it if I want it to look good, and that's when I use the conditioner as a shampoo.

I think the key is the ingredients, rather than the way it is used...nothing compares to Chaz's ingredients and they way he mixes them....

cassiem1308218923.246666 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 6/15/2011 Pepsters2 said:

I think the key is the ingredients, rather than the way it is used...nothing compares to Chaz's ingredients and they way he mixes them....

I'm glad Wen works for you, but you are missing the point. Wen doesn't work for everyone. The post you were referring to actually said she got good results from something other than Wen.

The conditioner only method of washing isn't new. I first heard about it in the 1970's, long before Chaz ever came up with Wen. And while Wen is a well formulated conditioner, that's what it is, a conditioner.

Wen is a total disaster for me, causes my hair to fall out and terrible, painful breakouts. You're right, it's definitely the way that Chaz mixes up the ingredients!

Page 1 of 2