Better Than Black Friday
110 Members and 17814 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Anyone tried to lighten their dark brown hair at home?

Started 1306861610.18 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1306929679.17 by carlotta

I have been dying my hair at home to save money and I really want to lighten my dark brown almost black to a lighter shade.

I was thinking of trying the new one from Garnier. But I am concerned I will end up a funny color and not three shades lighter like the box says.

Has anyone tried to lighten their hair at home with success?

Page 1 of 1
kilkenny101306862518.593804 PostsRegistered 10/24/2010

i havent had any luck at all medium brown hair gets very brassy no matter what i use ive pretty much given up... i think you really have to strip it and then color GOOGLE it especially if your trying to go light light brwn or blonde also depends on your hair do a swatch test so u dont end up orange!!!!

JMFINLEY0011306862658.459052 PostsRegistered 12/23/2004Wisconsin

I use Loreal Experte Express-it works really well,its a 2 step process,step one is to color your hair and step 2 if you choose to use it is a highlighter!!!I use both steps and it works really well for me!!!!!!!

55 yrs old,combo skin/w oily tzone
med golden tan complexion-no wrinkles yet ,but dark under eye circles,med brown hair with caramel highlights and brown eyes!dry fine hair but better with WEN!

lulu21306864232.0621652 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007

Color does not lift color. You will either have to highlight or remove (strip) the color from your hair.

Consult a pro as it is a very tricky thing to do by yourself.

ford12241306865482.4433586 PostsRegistered 6/7/2010

I always dyed my hair at home, used L'Oreal Preference. To lighten it several shades you have to do it in stages if you don't want to strip it (and you shouldn't strip it, which takes all the life out of the hair). So go lighter a little at a time, using a shade or two lighter about once a month. It may take a while, but you will have healthier hair and better results.

My hair was very porous, so it didn't take so long to lighten the color. Fortunately, now I have naturally silver hair which I wear shoulder length and don't have to do a thing anymore but wash it. (There are SOME advantages to growing older!)

Whatsoever things are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

trixie1306866425.077449 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005

Thanks . I am 50% gray and I think I left the color on too long because my hair is black now. I am trying to save money so I buy whatever brand of color I have a coupon for, this isn't the best approach. My hair is almost to my waist now it hasn't been cut in a year. Maybe I should just save up see a pro get it cut and colored.

Campy19991306866531.71336 PostsRegistered 5/26/2011

I did once and my hair was Elvis black. I go to a pro now.

nantucket ­shore1306866799.8975663 PostsRegistered 10/14/2007
On 5/31/2011 trixie said:

Thanks . I am 50% gray and I think I left the color on too long because my hair is black now. I am trying to save money so I buy whatever brand of color I have a coupon for, this isn't the best approach. My hair is almost to my waist now it hasn't been cut in a year. Maybe I should just save up see a pro get it cut and colored.

I would actually get a good hair cut first and while you have that person cutting your hair, you can ask them for a color consult, then you'll know what you'll need to do to get the color lifted and how much it will cost.

rockNroll1306870913.967260 PostsRegistered 3/15/2010Pittsburgh, PA

I haven't tried any real products-I'm too scared!-but I always use lemon juice in the sun with my neices at the beach. It's not harsh, and it gives you a nice little light glow. Cheap Too!

Mystical1306881036.971023 PostsRegistered 4/22/2008

My original hair color was dark brown, but now it is halfway gray. I've dyed my own hair lighter for years, but now I've been using the John Frieda foam in 8G - Medium Golden Blonde. It lightens up all my hair, the brown and the gray, and gives me a pretty shade of blonde. It's not super blonde, however. It looks exactly like what the name of the shade is - a medium golden blonde.

Over 70 years old, very dry skin, no wrinkles except for deep lines around mouth.

"Women Are Not Men's Property!"

fashionfav­es1306882257.3173018 PostsRegistered 1/23/2005Just South of Sanity! ;)

Every time I've tried this I got a horrible brassy look. NOT GOOD! I suggest you go to a professional.

BTW...I have now been successful at lightening my hair. It's taken years but it's gone from dark brown to silvery gray. (Sorry...couldn't resist!)

"If you have not often felt the joy of doing a kind act, you have neglected much, and most of all yourself."
A Neilen

Sandysue1306882464.6931293 PostsRegistered 1/15/2007

I agree with Lulu. Invest in having a pro do the initial color lightening. You can probably do the touch-ups by yourself afterward for a while, but it's best left to a professional. I had dark brown hair and always did the roots and kept it the same color. Then I decided at age 55 to have it lighter. My stylist did a great job and it was worth every penny. I get so many compliments on my hair and I know it looks as good as it can. I just can't get the result I get from having a professional do the coloring.

teachergal1306882893.817332 PostsRegistered 8/7/2010Central MI.
GO Sally's Beauty Supply store. Get Ion medium blond hair color, and a developer 30. The developer is what helps lighten from a dark color to a lighter color. I have mousy brown hair, but I've been doing my own color for years. My schedule is a hair cut every four weeks. Color the week before the cut and highlight the week following my cut. My hair always looks good and I am greying a lot. Good luck!

Msgdfx1306885682.033193 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006Los Angeles

Hi. Would also like to suggest looking into L'oreal Hi Color products that are available at Sally's. These products are designed for darker hair and married with a developer supposed to lighten up your hair 1 or 2 shades safely without brassy tones. I would try for 1 shade initially. And, if you are pleased with the outcome, try for a lighter shdae.

StarChild1306899784.0671892 PostsRegistered 4/26/2008NYC
On 5/31/2011 trixie said:

I started going gray and dyeing my hair in 1990. I was a dark brunette back then and colored my hair accordingly. About 10 years later the demarcation line between my colored hair and the new growth was very noticable after just a few weeks - extremely annoying. I didn't (and still don't) have the money to go to a professional (here in NYC it can be very expensive). I knew going dark to light all at once was not a good notion but then I had an idea. The next time I colored my hair I went to a medium brown semi-permanent color and continued to do so for about a year as the old dark hair grew out and some of it was trimmed off and I figured any old dark brown permanent color would fade. I then went to light brown semi-permanent for about 6 months then jumped the divide to dark permanent blonde. I've now been dark to medium blonde for the past several years and love it. I fortunately was in no hurry to go light and took my time which not everyone can do but this is what worked for me.

Last edited on 5/31/2011

Last edited on 5/31/2011

Like Jack Benny, I'm 39 and holding ;)

Mamalove1306900068.31188 PostsRegistered 12/11/2010

You cannot lighten your color with color. Black is the hardest color to lift. Dark brown is hard also. You will have to go to a pro if you want to lighten the hair. If you go a shade lighter, all you will have is light roots with dark ends. This is something that needs a pro and time.

mother bear1306900519.5033843 PostsRegistered 12/10/2010Puget Sound

I tried and my hair turned orange. That was the last time I ever colored my own hair. I'm just saying.

mother bear1306900520.283843 PostsRegistered 12/10/2010Puget Sound

double post

Last edited on 5/31/2011

Last edited on 5/31/2011

Spunkyspou­ts1306901236.0437229 PostsRegistered 11/19/2008miami

Here is my advice coming from personal experience. I have very darkish brown hair, use the Clairol highlight kit for dark hair , it will give you nice highlights. Dont do your whole head, use that dark hair you have to offset some pretty blonde highlights. This way you dont have to deal with 4 week touch ups. I am telling you, if you have half a brain you can get super results AT HOME with this kit.

manny21306902326.811786 PostsRegistered 3/11/2009
On 5/31/2011 teachergal said: GO Sally's Beauty Supply store. Get Ion medium blond hair color, and a developer 30. The developer is what helps lighten from a dark color to a lighter color. I have mousy brown hair, but I've been doing my own color for years. My schedule is a hair cut every four weeks. Color the week before the cut and highlight the week following my cut. My hair always looks good and I am greying a lot. Good luck!

Go to the beauty supply I agree, I like clairol color and I use the 20 volume developer, I find the 30 develops too fast. Use a 50/50 mixture (one ounce color, one ounce developer) mix and apply. It is so much cheaper to do it this way and you can mix as much or as little as you need for touch ups. Another important trick is to apply color to the roots first then to the rest of the hair. For instance if the total process time is twenty minutes apply to the roots for ten minutes and then finish adding to the rest of the hair. The roots can handle the full 20 minutes but the ends absorb color to fast so they need the lesser processing time. Hope this helps!

carlotta1306929679.171167 PostsRegistered 9/9/2007

I second the vote for Loreal Experte Express...I have used Copper Twist for years...and even my stylist comments that he couldn't do better....my hair is a medium brown, now with grey....it works well...and the included conditioner is wonderful...can't even buy that from L'Oreal...they only include it in the kits.

Page 1 of 1