Handbag Clearance
115 Members and 12965 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

What's the best deep conditioning treatment for over processed hair?

Started 1306699799.737 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1307485459.527 by ValentinaBon
I made the mistake of having a new stylist color my blonde hair red. This was last August. I hated it. After giving it a try for a few months, I decided to go back to blonde. That's not easy to do with red in your hair. My hair has been heavily highlighted over the past several months. Yesterday my stylist decided to try doing heavy foiling to get rid of the rest of the red. It didn't work. I still have some red in my hair so she decided I needed a golden toner to blend it better. I don't like the golden blonde but at least it seemed to fade a lot after washing it today. My big problem now is it appears she damaged it this time. I lost enough hair in the shower this morning to clog the drain. Then while blow drying I got hair all over my clothes. What should I use to repair this damage? I already use the Aveda damage remedy shampoo and conditioner so I'm looking for something to use as a damage repair and/or deep conditioning treatment. Thanks in advance!

Tami

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
cassiem1306705418.8776528 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

If you have a Sally Beauty near you, run and get the L'Oreal Feria Color Moisturizing Treatment. It's $7.99 for an 8 ounce tube. This stuff is amazing. It literally saved my hair after a bad color experience that left my hair feeling like fried straw. I always keep a tube on hand and use it about twice a month, more if my hair needs it. It's the same conditioner that comes with the L'oreal Feria color kits.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/color-moisturizing-treatment/LOREAL40,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

cerinthe1306705781.6872586 PostsRegistered 7/12/2005

WEN's deep replenishing treatment in the tub. Let it sit in your hair overnight. You should need only a tablespoon to work through your hair if you have average type shoulder length hair. If you have a LOT of hair, or a lot of coarse hair, you might use more.

In this particular type of damage, I think the above would do a better job sealing the cuticle and just overall smoothing, better than an oil based treatment like the original ojon, or jojoba oil, or WEN's oils. Just my *opinion*/guess. But you need something to seal and hold your hair together, it sounds like clearly a lot of breakage has occurred and I prefer an 'occlusive' conditioner like WEN's deep restorative in that case.

You can even use a LITTLE as a 'leave in' every day, (this may or may not work well. I'm stressing the 'little' part- you will see how concentrated this is when/if you try it. And as a leave in, I would concentrated only on the midshaft and ends, which are likely the most fried and suseptable to breakage. Be super gentle with any combing and such. I would avoid any hot styling as long as you possibly can, allow hair to air dry, don't 'pull it back' in a ponytail, just TOTALLY baby it for a solid week, two if you can, or even four weeks. Even if you can only baby it on weekends, do it! I would even avoid shampooing on weekends, wait until right before work. It sounds like ANY aggravation is going to cause more breakage. (Heck, I suggest WEN cleansing conditioner overall, but one step at a time.)

If you can't put your hair back together, you might want to begin mentally preparing yourself to have a 'serious trim' of all the damaged areas. But let's try and keep those bits together with some serious WEN treatments first, so they can grow out on their own.

Oh! You know what might work great every day, is WEN's refreshing spray- that is actually based on the deep treatment formulation! I might recommend some serious use of THAT every day, not only to minimize cleansing and refresh the hair, but give it some extra conditioning and strength! Yes- those would be my two top recommendations!

I Teach Too1306714495.4111790 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Eastern Iowa...If you build it, they will come.
On 5/29/2011 cerinthe said:

WEN's deep replenishing treatment in the tub. Let it sit in your hair overnight. You should need only a tablespoon to work through your hair if you have average type shoulder length hair. If you have a LOT of hair, or a lot of coarse hair, you might use more.

In this particular type of damage, I think the above would do a better job sealing the cuticle and just overall smoothing, better than an oil based treatment like the original ojon, or jojoba oil, or WEN's oils. Just my *opinion*/guess. But you need something to seal and hold your hair together, it sounds like clearly a lot of breakage has occurred and I prefer an 'occlusive' conditioner like WEN's deep restorative in that case.

You can even use a LITTLE as a 'leave in' every day, (this may or may not work well. I'm stressing the 'little' part- you will see how concentrated this is when/if you try it. And as a leave in, I would concentrated only on the midshaft and ends, which are likely the most fried and suseptable to breakage. Be super gentle with any combing and such. I would avoid any hot styling as long as you possibly can, allow hair to air dry, don't 'pull it back' in a ponytail, just TOTALLY baby it for a solid week, two if you can, or even four weeks. Even if you can only baby it on weekends, do it! I would even avoid shampooing on weekends, wait until right before work. It sounds like ANY aggravation is going to cause more breakage. (Heck, I suggest WEN cleansing conditioner overall, but one step at a time.)

If you can't put your hair back together, you might want to begin mentally preparing yourself to have a 'serious trim' of all the damaged areas. But let's try and keep those bits together with some serious WEN treatments first, so they can grow out on their own.

Oh! You know what might work great every day, is WEN's refreshing spray- that is actually based on the deep treatment formulation! I might recommend some serious use of THAT every day, not only to minimize cleansing and refresh the hair, but give it some extra conditioning and strength! Yes- those would be my two top recommendations!

I second the vote for WEN. Just using the conditioning cleanser would help.

I know too much to go back an' pretend.

Farmers da­ughter1306714527.7171414 PostsRegistered 8/28/2008

TamiNC, Just wanted to express how sorry I am that you are going through this. It must be miserable!! Is there by any chance someone you know from work, school, neighborhood, church, family, department store etc. who you know has a competent colorist? I wasn't sure from your thread, if you had the same colorist remove the red. Would you feel comfortable speaking with the manager--explain the situation, and ask if she can help you? It doesn't seem fair for you to pay extra to have this repaired, but if you don't want to return, I totally understand. I am sorry, but don't know of any deep conditioner to recommend. It does seem you need some professional advice from an experienced, competent colorist. If you can, please let us know how things are going for you. Hope you get some other suggestions you are able to use!! Good luck!!

Lor251306725010.64731 PostsRegistered 5/18/2011

I agree go with the Wen

ValentinaB­on1306725541.026934 PostsRegistered 3/18/2011

I love using coconut oil for a deep conditioner. Coconut oil (and olive oil) is one of the few oils that actually penetrate the hair and help strengthen it. Most oils just sit on top of the hair.

I also love Ojon's Restorative treatment as a deep conditioner, however, I bought mine a few years ago so I don't think the ingredients are the same now, which is too bad because that stuff worked amazingly well.

DUH....WENing! :)

Rena4501306726045.537119 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006Michigan

I second the Wen Deep Replenishing treatment. Had my hair highlighted a bit too much and it seemed very dry on the ends, no shine and tangled easily. I have hair just passed my shoulders. I just did the Wen treatment today, I actually left it on a couple of hours. Wow, is my hair soft, shiny, healthy looking and much improved. I am really impressed, it's a keeper for me.

OldFoogey1306726268.8871854 PostsRegistered 4/20/2007

{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

baby burns1306727838.0938793 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007

why don't you go back to the shop, and let them take care of it, after all its their fault to begin with. that is the only solution for you, they have professional products, and know what to use, instead of buying things that may not be right for your problem.

belleandme1306728975.398634 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009southern illinois

rahua oil! $$$$$$ its crazy expensive. but you only need drops at a time.

i was going to post a rave about this a couple of weeks ago, but i thought for the price most people wouldnt be interested.

i finally got around to using a sample from some place my mom went in boca ratton, and was blown away by just the shampoo and conditioner (i usually use wen and philosophy alternately) i have ordered for myself the poo and cond. and the styling leave in product (they only have like 4-5 products rahua.com i think) and am saving up for the oil by itself.

worth trying if your hair is truely fried. otherwise, wen deep conditioning mask is the next best i have tried.

good luck! i hate it when i have a bad hair situation!

ps, i have below sholder, dry dry dry curly highlighted hair that is always in need of help. this stuff turned my hair to silk.

i tried it and actually managed to refrain from using any other products, just so i could be sure it did something before ordering.

maybe they would send you a sample!

ill keep my fingers crossed for your success, whatever you try, Smile

bellenadme

FOUR BLOOD MOONS~~john hagee

"...There will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars...Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near." Luke 21:25a, 28

Coke Zero ­Addict1306730452.0171360 PostsRegistered 8/10/2010
On 5/29/2011 belleandme said:

rahua oil! $$$$$$ its crazy expensive. but you only need drops at a time.

i was going to post a rave about this a couple of weeks ago, but i thought for the price most people wouldnt be interested.

i finally got around to using a sample from some place my mom went in boca ratton, and was blown away by just the shampoo and conditioner (i usually use wen and philosophy alternately) i have ordered for myself the poo and cond. and the styling leave in product (they only have like 4-5 products rahua.com i think) and am saving up for the oil by itself.

worth trying if your hair is truely fried. otherwise, wen deep conditioning mask is the next best i have tried.

good luck! i hate it when i have a bad hair situation!

ps, i have below sholder, dry dry dry curly highlighted hair that is always in need of help. this stuff turned my hair to silk.

i tried it and actually managed to refrain from using any other products, just so i could be sure it did something before ordering.

maybe they would send you a sample!

ill keep my fingers crossed for your success, whatever you try, Smile

bellenadme

Found this on www.truthinaging.com, worth thinking about.

I came across a range of haircare products called Amazon Beauty and was impressed by the short ingredients list and the absence of any silicones, fillers, sulfates or preservatives that can clog up many a shampoo. In fact, I was about to hit the buy button for Rahua Shampoo ($32) featuring rahua nut extract and then I stopped in my tracks. Rahua nut oil is listed in the ingredients, but the word ‘rahua’ has been registered. That’s like trademarking ‘peanut’. I smelled a rat.

Amazon Beauty’s products come with an origination myth that is remarkably similar to that of Ojon, another haircare line. Like Ojon, Amazon Beauty has scoured the rainforests to find a remote tribe – in Amazon’s Beauty’s case, the Quechua Shuar tribe who use a special oil that is responsible for their thick and lustrous hair (Ojon’s tribe is the Tawaka – roughly translated as people with beautiful hair). Naturally rahua nut oil is extremely rare. So rare, that it exists only in the imagination of Amazon Beauty’s Equadorian born founder, Fabian Llguin. There is no such thing as a rahua nut – and I spent ages trying to track one down.

The ingredients list for Ruhua Shampoo also has a separate entry for ungurahua oil. We are told that this is also extremely rare. As a matter of fact, Economic Botany journal says it is a palm tree that widely used throughout the Amazon basin for its thatch, fibers, wood and edible fruit. At least the d*mn thing exists.

Unguraha oil is, according to Amazon Beauty’s marketing blurb, a rich source of omega-9. The trouble is that this fatty acid is not be confused by omegas-3 and 6. Our body makes its own o-9 from unsaturated fat and therefore it is classed as non-essential.

Amazon Beauty helpfully provides an image next to its description of rahua (see above). Am I the only one who thinks it looks like a wreath of dead oak leaves?

Ingredients

Purified water, certified organic herbal water of green tea, honeysuckle and raspberry leaf, organic aloe vera, shea betaine, coconut betaine, vegetable glycerin, sea salt, caprylic fatty acid, wheat protein amino acid, corn amino acids, vitamin E, ungurahua oil, rahua nut oil, lecithin, palo santo oil, panthenol, oat protein, and citric acid.

Last edited on 5/30/2011

Last edited on 5/30/2011

“We've placed a lot of emphasis in this country on the idea of people's rights. That's how it should be, but it makes no sense to talk about rights without also talking about responsibilities.”
― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

laurachipp­ewa1306758360.737363 PostsRegistered 7/2/2006

TERAX CREMA

This is a cult favorite for a reason. I have balck hair. I once bleached it blond. Nuff said.

This stuff worked like a charm. No wonder Madonna uses it!

You can buy at Beauty or drugstore . com and several other places if you do a search.

Good luck

shoptillId­rop1306759364.7039399 PostsRegistered 10/25/2006Michigan

Sounds like some good suggestions here, one I also recommend because you can use it daily if need be is Biolage Conditioning Balm.

I tried being patient but it took too long.

TamiNC1306760516.723638 PostsRegistered 11/21/2007Yuku
On 5/29/2011 ValentinaBon said:

I love using coconut oil for a deep conditioner. Coconut oil (and olive oil) is one of the few oils that actually penetrate the hair and help strengthen it. Most oils just sit on top of the hair.

I also love Ojon's Restorative treatment as a deep conditioner, however, I bought mine a few years ago so I don't think the ingredients are the same now, which is too bad because that stuff worked amazingly well.

I actually slept with conconut oil on last night. It did make my round brush slide through my hair a little easier when drying this morning. I didn't notice hair in the shower today (not to say I wasn't losing any) but still had some breakage while drying, although not nearly as much as yesterday.

I have some of the Ojon Restorative treatment and plan to use it later this week. If I recall correctly, it says to wait 3 days after coloring.

I have read a lot of great reviews on Aveda's Damage Remedy Intensive Restructuring Treatment. I have been using the Damage Remedy shampoo and conditioner for the past few months and love it, so I thought I would pick this up as well. I am surprised none of the ladies here have mentioned it.

I have used Wen in the past, just the cleansing conditioner...is that what it's called? I don't recall. I have never tried the deep replenishing treatment though. Can I buy it in any stores or would I have to order it?

I do not want to go back to the salon. The management wouldn't do anything because the lady I went to is just renting a small room there. I will NOT let her touch my hair again. Not only did she damage it, she put a dark toner on it so now I have a dull/dirty blonde rather than the the pretty color I walked in with. My hair is too damaged to highlight again anytime soon, so I feel stuck with what she did. I asked her to check their computer system to see what a previous stylist there had used on me, but while I'm sitting there with the wrong toner on she admitted she never checked. Errr!! (I went to that salon for several years until the stylist I loved left, but my records were still in their system) She thought it best to put on a "golden blonde" toner to blend in with the red better, even though that's not what I wanted. On top of all this, she messed up my cut as well. i asked her to just trim it up. She ended up taking off a good couple of inches (probably hair she fried) all around and gave me a completely different hair cut that I don't like. My layers were almost all the same length and now my short layer is several inches above the longest one. I hate it! She also cut my bangs straight across (they are just past my nose), and I get them cut slanted to wear side swept. Hard to believe, but she did my hair the time before and I loved it! I am going to try to deal with it as is for 6-8 weeks while I decide if I want to try to keep some of my length or just get it all cut off (about to my chin) and start over.

To top everything off, my T3 broke while I was drying my hair this morning. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Tami

Farmers da­ughter1306760689.9931414 PostsRegistered 8/28/2008

Are there any hairdressers/colorists who have some advice for TamiNC?

TamiNC1306760697.03638 PostsRegistered 11/21/2007Yuku
On 5/29/2011 Farmers daughter said:

TamiNC, Just wanted to express how sorry I am that you are going through this. It must be miserable!! Is there by any chance someone you know from work, school, neighborhood, church, family, department store etc. who you know has a competent colorist? I wasn't sure from your thread, if you had the same colorist remove the red. Would you feel comfortable speaking with the manager--explain the situation, and ask if she can help you? It doesn't seem fair for you to pay extra to have this repaired, but if you don't want to return, I totally understand. I am sorry, but don't know of any deep conditioner to recommend. It does seem you need some professional advice from an experienced, competent colorist. If you can, please let us know how things are going for you. Hope you get some other suggestions you are able to use!! Good luck!!

Thanks! I am going to try to track down a lady I went to for years. She moved to a salon I didn't care for so I stopped going to her. That place has since closed down. It would be great if I could find her again. I would be willing to go back with my tail between my legs, asking her to take me back!

Tami

hungarian41306762935.7571423 PostsRegistered 8/28/2010

good products mentioned !!

BassetMomma1306763368.5331487 PostsRegistered 10/4/2008Northern New Jersey

I would suggest washing and styling your hair less frequently if you can tolerate it. Try to go a day or two in between shampoo and styling. The less stress the better. I recently started using Aussie 3 Minute Deeeep Conditioner. When it's on sale, it might be as cheap as 2.50 a tube. I use it as my regular condioner without any problems with buildup or weighing my hair down. I've used Pureology, Wen, Fekkai, Nexxus, Ojon, Biolage and didn't find they worked any better.

Subject1306769003.04311269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007

Honestly the best thing you could do is cut it all off- or very short and start over. You will spend $$$$$ trying to make it look like it is healthy. Nothing will really help long term. It is dead damaged hair. Best to accept the fact that it is fried and do the right thing. CUT IT OFF. I did this about 6 years ago- grew my hair out from short short after a bad hair frying experience and just wanted back my virgin hair again. I got a cute short cut and grew it out. I did color it - and continue to as I am prematurely grey and do not want to be at this time- but- I color carefully as to not to destroy my hair. Now it is long and looks great.Smile

.

Funloving1306770039.57185 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

Coconut Oil!!!!

-By grace alone through faith alone-

ValentinaB­on1306770391.676934 PostsRegistered 3/18/2011

I would also suggest trying not to use heat on your hair as much as possible.

BTW, I've had something like this happen to me about 4 years ago (my hairstylist was a recovering alcohol that apparently had fallen back into her old ways). I know how discouraging it is. I had long hair back then and colored it. She not only left the color on too long (dried my hair out- it broke all over the place), but she chopped it as well. Luckily I found a really great hairstylist that helped me know what to do and not do while we waited for it to grow out and become healthy again. It was a painstakingly slow process (because I wanted long hair again) but it was worth it in the end. I am so sorry you have to go through this and hope you can get your hair in a better place soon but remember, patience is the key!

DUH....WENing! :)

TamiNC1306771939.017638 PostsRegistered 11/21/2007Yuku
On 5/30/2011 newport said:

Honestly the best thing you could do is cut it all off- or very short and start over. You will spend $$$$$ trying to make it look like it is healthy. Nothing will really help long term. It is dead damaged hair. Best to accept the fact that it is fried and do the right thing. CUT IT OFF. I did this about 6 years ago- grew my hair out from short short after a bad hair frying experience and just wanted back my virgin hair again. I got a cute short cut and grew it out. I did color it - and continue to as I am prematurely grey and do not want to be at this time- but- I color carefully as to not to destroy my hair. Now it is long and looks great.Smile

I think you misunderstood...while I have had a lot of breakage, I'm so very grateful that I do not have frizzy, dead hair. I am fortunate that I have a ton of hair so the breakage wouldn't be obvious to others. With the aid of styling products, it looks okay besides the fact that I don't care for the cut and the color is too dark of a blonde for my personal taste. The reason I mentioned possibly cutting it to my chin in a couple of months is because that would cut out most of the remaining red. That's also where most of my breakage is occuring...where the new growth meets the red. I have always kept my hair very blonde with highlights and have never experienced anything like this.

Tami

TamiNC1306771989.343638 PostsRegistered 11/21/2007Yuku
On 5/30/2011 Funloving said:

Coconut Oil!!!!

After the results I got last night, I will definately use this again...and soon! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Tami

TamiNC1306772431.56638 PostsRegistered 11/21/2007Yuku
On 5/30/2011 ValentinaBon said:

I would also suggest trying not to use heat on your hair as much as possible.

BTW, I've had something like this happen to me about 4 years ago (my hairstylist was a recovering alcohol that apparently had fallen back into her old ways). I know how discouraging it is. I had long hair back then and colored it. She not only left the color on too long (dried my hair out- it broke all over the place), but she chopped it as well. Luckily I found a really great hairstylist that helped me know what to do and not do while we waited for it to grow out and become healthy again. It was a painstakingly slow process (because I wanted long hair again) but it was worth it in the end. I am so sorry you have to go through this and hope you can get your hair in a better place soon but remember, patience is the key!

Thank you! I am going to try to avoid heat as much as possible, but that's going to be really hard, at least for the next two weeks until school is over and I'm off for the summer. I did blow dry and tug at it with a round brush this morning, but I did resist the temptation to use the flat iron. I normally wash it every other day, so tomorrow will be an off day. However, I will have to curl it in the morning or it will look awful...not an option since I have to work.

Tami

rebel1306773318.7635411 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

hang in there!

you have had some good suggestions.

i have super dry, processed hair too and the redken all soft shampoo and conditioner makes my hair feel soft. i didn't really care for the redken all soft deep conditioner .

morroccan oil or the sally's dupe for it--forget the exact name argan something or other. anyway that has really helped my hair over time too.

45, Fair, dry, sensitive skin, DSPW, yellow and neutral undertones, Cannot use "cones" high in ingred. deck, natural blonde wavy hair, blue eyes

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next