Fashion Special Offers
121 Members and 13846 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

L'Oreal Sublime Mousse haircolor review & the new foam colorants

Started 1297523199.883 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1303275443.613 by fashionista17

I tried this a few days ago and while it has some good points, the color came out much too dark. There are only 3 blonde shades. A light, medium and dark. I used the medium golden blonde and it came out a dark neutral blonde. This is part of the Healthy Look line and I used the same color I used in their demi color but this came out totally different. It will be OK with some highlights and when it fades a bit, but I'm not pleased and won't use it again. Here are the pros and cons

Pros

Left the hair in great condition

No sectioning at all

Easy to apply

Easy to prepare and mix. Color is a liquid.

Didn't drip

Easy to rinse out

Good after color conditioner

Good gloves

Cons

Color grabs and processed too dark on the shaft of the hair. Much darker than the shade level it was supposed to be

Previously processed hair took too much color compared to the newer growth by scalp

Root area was lighter than a medium golden blonde

Gray hair took ashier

Very harsh ammonia haircolor smell. Went away as color processed though

Color too flat looking. Says it keeps hair's natural lights and darks but did not

No golden blonde. Shade said golden blonde but was more ashy. Photo on the medium golden blonde was of a light ash blonde.

Limited shades

All these new foam color seem to share the similar problem of taking too dark on many people. The new John Frieda one isn't supposed to have the harsh smell but people said it came out too dark on them too. If you use a shade lighter it may not color your gray. I've read similar reports on the Nice 'N Easy foam also grabbing too dark for many. This is such an easy way to color hair. I had hoped with this new go around with foam colors, after they were first brought to maket about 30 years ago the problems would have been fixed. I so want these to work as I hate to have to section the hair for root touch ups.

If you've tried any of the new foam colors what has been your experience with them?

Page 1 of 1
Blondelle1297558735.3174182 PostsRegistered 8/4/2007

I just realized that the John Frieda one has been released in the UK and other places for a while. Has anyone outside of the US tried his Precision color foam? I can't find any reviews on it. I believe Walmart and Target has it but I can't get to those stores. There are now four foam colorants on the market. The Nice 'N Easy, the L'Oreal Sublime Mousse, the Samy Fat Hair, and the John Frieda Precision color.

SalsPal1297563313.277309 PostsRegistered 1/9/2009

I used the Clairol Nice 'N Easy foam today and I definitely agree that the color is way too dark! I always use light brown, but this is between a med and dark brown color! Also, my eyes actually started watering due to the strong ammonia fumes!

So, I will not use this product again!!

madelines1297573724.55140 PostsRegistered 5/22/2010

I Posted a few days ago about the clairol foam, for me the med blonde came out to light, and worst of all it looks orange to me, the smell with this foam was really potent as well wont use this again im done with foam hair color after reading this tonight. Thanks for posting the reviews.

Last edited on 2/12/2011

Last edited on 2/12/2011

Blondelle1297604552.34182 PostsRegistered 8/4/2007

There's still one more I want to try and that's the John Frieda. It doesn't have that harsh ammonia smell I've read and the colors look nice. With all haircolors the same color comes out differently on different people but these foam colors seem to run dark, or to not give the desired result more than others. It's just coming to market here, so by the time I need another touchup hopefully there will be reviews. I found some UK reviews on the JF though, and some love it and some report the same issue of the colors coming out too dark.

Does the Samy one run dark too? Does it have that harsh smell? I haven't seen it in any of the stores.

JoElla1297613851.3910552 PostsRegistered 8/6/2006Texas

Oh no. now I am afraid to try it

Southern F­ried Chick1297628468.7137020 PostsRegistered 11/17/2007

I would be afraid as well. I had my color done last Friday. I wanted to go back red. OK, I got red.....think copper golden blonde red (new penny color but about a shade darker). I'm fair-skinned with pink undertones and blue eyes. Every time I look in a mirror, I'm still shocked. My hairdresser said if I didn't like it that she could tone it down. So, what skin tone do you ladies think this color goes best with.

judypatudy1302200974.181 PostsRegistered 4/7/2011

THE MOST HORRIBLE HAIR DYE EXPERIENCE I'VE EVER ENCOUNTERED!

Tried the L'oreal sublime mousse #53 today....

I followed all the instructions exactly. When I went to rinse it out it felt horrible. Then I used the ENTIRE tube of conditioner and it didnt even help. My hair felt, (feels) like tree bark.

It was so unbelievable and shocking I screamed and started to cry in the shower. I used a BUNCH of other conditioner, and still tree bark. My hair has never felt like that in my life.

I got out and dragged a brush thru it... I little while later I got back in the shower again and washed it 4 times and left some good conditioner on it for an hour. I went and rinsed it again and it helped some, but still barky.

It ruined my hair... I think there needs to be a class-action lawsuit.

Oh, after all that, I still see some silvery hairs. It didnt even cover all the grey. (and i didnt have much to begin with)

I guess the fact that step (or item) #4 has a #3 on it should have been a red flag!

makeup add­ict1302204150.437828 PostsRegistered 12/27/2006
On 2/13/2011 Southern Fried Chick said:

I would be afraid as well. I had my color done last Friday. I wanted to go back red. OK, I got red.....think copper golden blonde red (new penny color but about a shade darker). I'm fair-skinned with pink undertones and blue eyes. Every time I look in a mirror, I'm still shocked. My hairdresser said if I didn't like it that she could tone it down. So, what skin tone do you ladies think this color goes best with.

Hi,

Have the same skintone with green eyes. My hair is dark brown and I color it red using Garnier's Nutrisse True Red. Comes out a pretty aurburn on me. Been using this color for years. Looks great on me.

Becca331302204844.661017 PostsRegistered 9/19/2008Denver CO

Southern Fried Chick the color sounds awesome especially with your light skin tone but if you don't like it have your colorist tone it down.

Mandy3091303256024.7731 PostsRegistered 4/19/2011

I just tried the Clairol foam haircolor last night and it's way too dark! I used Medium Reddish Brown but it looks like dark brown, with barely any red at all. Plus, I found the mousse messy to use. I usually use Nice 'N Easy, and that was a more accurate color. I hope this will lighten up quickly, since I'm very unhappy with the color. Does anyone know whether I can go two shades lighter when I color next time (Light Auburn, maybe)? I have fair skin, pink undertones and green eyes. I'm planning to just go back to Nice 'N Easy, unless anyone can suggest a better brand.

momcat1303256679.466191 PostsRegistered 9/12/2010

I've used L'Oreal for many years and get great results. I use the auburn colors. I'm not understanding what the big deal is with the foam application. I can't think of why I would get away from something that works to try this if it isn't better. I've experimented with Garniers, and I agree it's good. Very red, which I'm sometimes in the mood for. I slip it in every so often inbetween using L'Oreal, but really L'Oreal is a more natural realistic look.

Let me know if you suddenly become interesting.

Jeanhelen571303258184.1932711 PostsRegistered 11/1/2005

YES--Me too--too dark!!! I always use Clairols Perfect 10 in Medium Ash Brown--but decided to try this--WOW almost black! Most have said they do like my hair darker, but I am having a hard time getting used to it. I don't think it's medium at all and it's not fun getting a totally different color than you thought!

Last edited on 4/19/2011

Last edited on 4/19/2011

only shops­ online1303258379.235495 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006

I've been using the L'Oreal Sublime Mousse with great results. I use the golden medium brown #53 and love it.

I used to get my hair cut and colored very 4 weeks. Now, I get it cut every 4 weeks, and colored every 8 weeks. I've been using the Sublime Mousse in between salon colorings, to keep my roots touched up. It really gets me through between salon visits, and keeps my hair looking fresh. When I apply it, I concentrate more heavily on any parts in my hair that show. I have no visible gray left when I'm done.

It makes my hair sparkle, gives it plenty of body and shine, and I love the conditioner. I was afraid that it would make my overall hair color too dark, but that isn't the case. It is about a shade lighter than my current hair color. I'm wondering if it works so well for me because my stylist uses a L'Oreal product with golden undertones.

betteb1303259397.96715856 PostsRegistered 1/1/2008The Land of Oz

I used the Samy Fat Hair once and liked it. It did have a smell but it was not overpowering to me. All hair color goes darker on me, so I always buy a shade lighter than I want and do a quick shampoo after I rinse it out. I felt like I got my desired shade that way and the color was not flat. There were highlights and low lights.

The biggest problem I see with it as it seems to be a little hard to find and there is not very many colors to choose from.

I did love the ease of application.

"Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind;" Wordsworth

baby burns1303270848.088793 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007

ok here we go, everyone i know says that all of them, including john frieda, which is out in the regular stores, all come out too dark. when everyone was talking about them, i thought to myself, i do not see how they would deal with light blondes. mine is very light, has been all my life, now that i got some grey i have been coloring about every two months. so it seems i was right, my stylist told me, that is the big draw back with the foams, cannot seem to get them light enough for all the colors, and they seem to not mix well and then do not go on even. i cannot use any ash in my hair, the whole head would like grey!!! luckily i know that ahead of time, and most home colors want to put ash in all of them, makes the blondes grey ish dull color. she used one of the john frieda colors on a friend, and she had the same problem with it, so forget that one too. its like everything else, no one dress or pants fits everyone, same goes with hair color, they are making them too dark, because they are trying to get it all to mix and it will not. sorry this is so long, but thought if the information would help someone else, it would be worth it. just not an ideal way to color hair.

brownie9171303271450.824579 PostsRegistered 11/19/2004New England
On 2/13/2011 Southern Fried Chick said:

I would be afraid as well. I had my color done last Friday. I wanted to go back red. OK, I got red.....think copper golden blonde red (new penny color but about a shade darker). I'm fair-skinned with pink undertones and blue eyes. Every time I look in a mirror, I'm still shocked. My hairdresser said if I didn't like it that she could tone it down. So, what skin tone do you ladies think this color goes best with

Since you're "fair-skinned with pink undertones and blue eyes", an ash to neutral hair color would suit your coloring best (according to color theory experts anyhow).

fashionist­a171303275443.61792 PostsRegistered 9/23/2007

I tried the L'Oreal Mousse yesterday and I love it! My hair is dark brown (almost black actually) and I tried the Dark Brown shade. Came out beautiful, and so shiny. Since my hair is so dark I don't have a problem with the color being too dark, but it seems the lighter colors are a problem for some. One other thing I loved about it is that my hair actually smells good - none of that horrible chemical smell. I found the mousse very easy to use, no dripping at all and easy to get it all over your head. I will definitely use again.

We are beautiful, no matter what they say....Words can't bring us down!

Page 1 of 1