Shoes & Handbags Offers
144 Members and 11673 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Product Suggestions for Underarm (Armpit) Eczema?

Started 1294020439.153 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1294099504.207 by bunnypink

Hello :)

For some reason, the past couple years I have struggled w/underarm (armpit) eczema. SO frustrating!

My derm & regular dr have prescribed creams and they help but neither really works that well. I've never had eczema before and have it no where else but my underarms. Since I have to wear deodorant I find it a difficult place to treat.

Does anybody else have underarm eczema and a product that works to clear it up?

TIA! :)

Page 1 of 1
catwhisper­er1294022694.4633211 PostsRegistered 12/4/2009So.CA

Have you changed deodorants or the way you shave your underarms? Maybe that is causing the irritation. Sorry you are having a problem. I'm sure is is very uncomfortable and frustrating. I use baking soda and water as a deodorant thanks to a recommendation by a poster here on the boards. It works great and is not irritating. 1/8 tsp. mixed with 1/4 tsp. water rubbed together into palms of hands then applied to under arm areas.

Waterlilys1294023343.1531175 PostsRegistered 11/22/2009

Wwell i can not help you but theres a thread on here about eczema other places....you may want to find it until people respond.Good luck.

bunnypink1294023488.671450 PostsRegistered 4/14/2008

Thanks, Catwhisperer!

Over the past 5 or so years I have tried almost every deodorant/anti-perspirant out there! So yes, I have switched a lot. I have a hard time finding one that doesn't eventually turn to a b.o. smell. Long story... I have a couple girlfriends who have had the same problem post pregnancy.

As far as the eczema, I'm definitely going to give your baking soda mix a try! I haven't changed the way I shave. Been doing it the same way for 20+ yrs.

Thank you again :)

bunnypink1294023559.041450 PostsRegistered 4/14/2008

Thx Rose54. I saw the eczema thread and will look at it again but I am really hoping somebody with underarm eczema can help :)

Waterlilys1294023834.4871175 PostsRegistered 11/22/2009

your welcome!...Wish you luck....I have psorisis in my scalp,so i know how you feel and a little on my legs and elbows....I am just thankful its not really bad as i have seen others have....I use a liquid steroid,but because i do not want to use that often its always there.

catwhisper­er1294023946.013211 PostsRegistered 12/4/2009So.CA
On 1/2/2011 bunnypink said:

Thanks, Catwhisperer!

Over the past 5 or so years I have tried almost every deodorant/anti-perspirant out there! So yes, I have switched a lot. I have a hard time finding one that doesn't eventually turn to a b.o. smell. Long story... I have a couple girlfriends who have had the same problem post pregnancy.

As far as the eczema, I'm definitely going to give your baking soda mix a try! I haven't changed the way I shave. Been doing it the same way for 20+ yrs.

Thank you again :)

I just noticed you mentioned anti-perspirant. Perhaps the chemicals in the products are causing your problem. I have been using the baking soda/water mix for at least a couple months now every single day and no problems with odor whatsoever. You just mix it in the palm of your hand, rub your palms together and apply under each under arm. I have used it in 100+ degree temperatures working in the yard and absolutely no odor issues. HTH!

Maggie Nol­ia1294024718.09714669 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006

Are you sure it's eczema? I've heard of eczema in many areas but never underarm eczema. No matter, though. Eczema or not, if I were you, the first thing I would do is stop shaving! I can't believe the doctors you mentioned haven't told you that. Use Nair or something similar. Shaving is just irritating the area more. And then I'd try using hydrogen peroxide or vinegar as a deodorant and disinfectant. There's no telling what chemicals in deodorants may be exacerbating your condition.

I have eczema elsewhere and cannot imagine surviving shaving it.

Last edited on 1/2/2011

Last edited on 1/2/2011

Buzzards fly in packs. Eagles soar alone.

Pray for the USA.

"Let's roll." ~ Todd Beamer, 9/11/01.

Zaksgrrl1294059392.6339844 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008In the sun but willing to go into the dark

I didn't have it under my arms, but I did have it on my hands.

The derm gave me a script for a steroid cream, which I promptly threw away.

I then cured the eczema that I'd had for over a year - in 3 days using a mix of argan and tamanu oils. It was most likely 99% the tamanu, but it's gone and hasn't returned.

I hope you'll try it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
When I get through this, I'm going to live the life of an adventurer.
Bear Grylls

Zaksgrrl1294059502.39844 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008In the sun but willing to go into the dark
On 1/2/2011 Maggie Nolia said:

Are you sure it's eczema? I've heard of eczema in many areas but never underarm eczema. No matter, though. Eczema or not, if I were you, the first thing I would do is stop shaving! I can't believe the doctors you mentioned haven't told you that. Use Nair or something similar. Shaving is just irritating the area more. And then I'd try using hydrogen peroxide or vinegar as a deodorant and disinfectant. There's no telling what chemicals in deodorants may be exacerbating your condition.

I have eczema elsewhere and cannot imagine surviving shaving it.

Last edited on 1/2/2011

I would think that the chemical in the Nair would be much more irritating than shaving!!! It's designed to dissolve hair down into the follicle!

Either way, I would desist with the shaving and 'regular' deodorant - try a deodorant from the healthfood store.

Last edited on 1/3/2011

Last edited on 1/3/2011

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
When I get through this, I'm going to live the life of an adventurer.
Bear Grylls

bunnypink1294098971.291450 PostsRegistered 4/14/2008

Thx everybody for suggestions.

Unfortunately, I've tried all natural deodorants available in stores (Jason, Tom's, the crystal rock one, etc.) & even some natural ones through Etsy :(

Oh well, I guess I was hoping for a miracle cure somebody knew of! :)

bunnypink1294099086.2171450 PostsRegistered 4/14/2008

Forgot to say that that the derm and my regular doctor said I had eczema so I'm assuming they are right. Are there any tests they can do to tell you for sure? After doing a lot of online research about eczema I don't hear of it ever being in the underarm area so it does make me wonder...

happy hous­ewife1294099357.74330797 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

Maybe it is a fungus or a yeast. Try a athletes foot cream and see if it works.My hubby had a yeast infection in his pits when we moved to fla. and they gave him Nystatin Powder for it. Or it could be a allergy to latex in your bras. I get a rash from the elastic in underpants if it isn't covered with fabric.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

bunnypink1294099504.2071450 PostsRegistered 4/14/2008

Thanks for the idea, retiree. It's definitely worth a try! :)

Page 1 of 1