Just-Reduced Clearance
66 Members and 15088 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Attn "Oil" girls--is Argan better than jojoba or olive as a facial moisturizer?

Started 1289938042.283 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1289961753.747 by Yady

Hi girls--trying to simplify and not use a lot of chemical cr*p on my face--love using jojoba oil as a light moisturizer, and olive oil after bath (body moisturizer) and I also like My'chelle pumpkin face cream. But Josie Maran is calling my name (the story about the older lady in France shouting "ARGAN OIL!" sticks in my head) and I am looking for some feedback--I am 40, slightly dry, and currently have (and LOVE) the little color sticks--just wondering if the oil is more special than other oils, or just a novelty to non-oil users. THANKS BEAUTIES!

Page 1 of 1
chiligrl1289941929.2488 PostsRegistered 4/20/2007

Bump--anyone use the argan oil by Josie Maran? Can it compare to other oils? TIA!

Karena1289942125.855202 PostsRegistered 6/30/2008Bay Area, California

I've seen people do a breakdown of their oils and best properties for each (most moisturizing, etc.) You may want to do a search and view the threads.

chiligrl1289942320.9488 PostsRegistered 4/20/2007

Thanks, Karena--I will do that! Cool

Twins1289942706.012495 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007Chicago

Hi, if you aren't allergic to nuts then you'd probably like the Argan Oil. If you have a tendency to break out, then Jojoba would probably be the best. I'm loving Emu Oil which doesn't break me out, in fact, also has anti-inflammatory properties. Olive oil is good but can break some out. I think the best thing to do is just experiment because everyone's skin is so different. HTH

Sharon

bozismydog1289943052.243712 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006Richmond, VA - transplant from MA

I have been using argan oil for facial moisturizing. I have used olive oil as part of an oil cleanser but never to moisturize my face. I have used joboba oil in the past but not as a facial moisturizer. Like you said, I don't want to use a bunch of chemicals anymore and to simplify my routine. With all the information about argan oil I started using it and am pleased with it. Its the first time I have used any oil as my facial moisturizer on a daily basis for any length of time so I don't have anything to compare it to.

chiligrl1289943068.1288 PostsRegistered 4/20/2007

Thanks Twins! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

chiligrl1289945208.79788 PostsRegistered 4/20/2007
On 11/16/2010 bozismydog said:

I have been using argan oil for facial moisturizing. I have used olive oil as part of an oil cleanser but never to moisturize my face. I have used joboba oil in the past but not as a facial moisturizer. Like you said, I don't want to use a bunch of chemicals anymore and to simplify my routine. With all the information about argan oil I started using it and am pleased with it. Its the first time I have used any oil as my facial moisturizer on a daily basis for any length of time so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Hi bozismydog--what are you doing for cleansing, etc.? Do you use foamy cleanser or not? Thanks for the help!

bozismydog1289947707.787712 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006Richmond, VA - transplant from MA
On 11/16/2010 chiligrl said:
On 11/16/2010 bozismydog said:

Hi bozismydog--what are you doing for cleansing, etc.? Do you use foamy cleanser or not? Thanks for the help!

I have been using a cleansing oil that is nice because it is formulated to rinse off easily. You can make your own cleansing oil which I have done by mixing castor oil with another oil such as olive oil at about a 25/75 mix. It doesen't rinse off you have to use a cloth.

chiligrl1289957536.04388 PostsRegistered 4/20/2007

Thank you!! I am off to mix--I worry about breaking out, but hope the drier winter air will be on my side! Have a great night!

Zaksgrrl1289959427.759844 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008In the sun but willing to go into the dark

I keep buying Josie's even though I also have STO's. I like that it's FIRST press, the others don't specify this. First press is just that - the first go and has the most nutriton. Jojoba is 'just' a moisturizer as it mimics our natural sebum, OO has more Vit E and antioxidants. Argan oil though and other exotic oils such as Marula, have the omega 3, 6, 9 thing going on, as well as lienolic (sp?) and oleic components and many times the Vit E of olive oil. So, it IS better. I love it and the Marula, carrot seed oil, rose hip oil, etc. I just ordered the Night Serum from STO - it's a combo of several very cool oils. I really like the Marula oil too - I get an awesome glow the next morning after using it over my other skincare.

I agree with keeping the chemical garbage off our skin - we absorb a LOT of what we use topically, plus that stuff makes my skin go crazy.

HTH

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
When I get through this, I'm going to live the life of an adventurer.
Bear Grylls

Yady1289961753.74720 PostsRegistered 9/18/2010

I have been using kielhs Superbly Restorative Dry Argan Oil. This formula incorporates argan, olive, jojoba, apricot, avocado and several others (go to their website for a complete list.) It's lightweight and absorbs quickly. I have oily acne skin and so far, no breakout issues. I use this after Dr. Denese's facial firming pads at night and the vitamin C pads in the morning. It's also great for smoothing out frizzy hair. It's $30 for 4oz. Go to Kielhs thread for sale code.

Page 1 of 1