Fall Fashion Clearance
59 Members and 10875 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

BEST BOXED HAIR COLOR FOR COVERING GRAYS?

Started 1287276427.193 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1287665652.153 by Skylands

Help! I have tried several different hair colors and none of them cover my grays for more than 2 weeks. Am I doing something wrong?? I color my hair, and for the first several days it looks good. In as little as two weeks, the grays are back!

Is there any hair color (in a box) that you would recommend that keeps the grays covered a long time?

I am tired of coloring my hair every two weeks!

Page 1 of 2
Caffeina1287276819.8971825 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Garnier Nutrisse for me. No grays show until the roots grow out.

hungarian41287276828.1671423 PostsRegistered 8/28/2010

Gray magic is sold at sallys and you add it to your color solution....25floz of miracle worker !!!!!!!!!!!....also if you have a beauty school in your area...check them out....mine uses redken color...better than store bought...and I pay $22 for retouch color !!! but if not.... using this product in your color will take care of your gray problem!!! I promise !! ardell makes it and it comes in a small white box with black lettering...costs abt $5

Last edited on 10/16/2010

qvc chick1287276939.58316 PostsRegistered 4/3/2006

I think I tried gray magic from Sallys, I had high hopes, but my grays still came right back in! I can go to a salon, but I am trying to save money by doing it myself.

TooManyCats1287277840.372694 PostsRegistered 7/5/2009

Have you ever tried buying pro color at Sally's? It's not that much harder to use than a box, and personally I get much better results with it.

The boxed brand I had the best luck with was L'oreal, but I was really lucky if I got 2-3 weeks before the grays came back. I got tired of that too...I know how ya feel.

At Sally's I buy a bottle of Miss Clairol Gray Busters and another Miss Clairol color, and mix half of each bottle together with the developer. All of the Gray Busters line have a neutral base so they can be mixed. I also add Gray Magic. The last time I colored, it was a little over a month before I started noticing the grays coming back (not the new growth).

qvc chick1287403981.823316 PostsRegistered 4/3/2006

Guess a trip to Sallys is in order.

nodecaf1287404168.172474 PostsRegistered 4/15/2007Pinelands

I had to chyme in!

I've tried a few including Sally's brands.

My HG & the overall winner is

REVLON ColorSilk! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

PS: just got a few boxes on sale @ RiteAid 2 for $5!

my summer color->med rich brown + my winter color-> dark brown

HTH

“The first wealth is health.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson

france541287404617.8573239 PostsRegistered 1/29/2010

I use Clairol Natural instincts... I don't have grays yet ..... but, this is a great way to cover gray hair... they have a lot of brown hair colors. My sister who is a hair stylist says never use ash colors to cover gray. Always use neutral colors. I use the Pecan color number 18 gives me great highlights and a lot less damaging then other hair dyes. SmileGood luck!

Life is too short to sweat the small stuff!

JustPeachy1287405586.1471048 PostsRegistered 5/16/2008

Go to Sally and get the Clairol in the box, 20 Developer, gloves and a bottle and do it yourself. It will turn out much better for cheaper than a store box color.

Subject1287408080.93311269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007

Loreal Excellance works best for me. I do my color every 4 weeks- sometimes every three weeks. I leave it on for an hour. Inbetween colors I use Joan Rivers hair magic cover stuff. I am about 95% grey and use ash brown.

Last edited on 10/18/2010

Subject1287408176.15711269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007
On 10/16/2010 hungarian4 said:

Gray magic is sold at sallys and you add it to your color solution....25floz of miracle worker !!!!!!!!!!!....also if you have a beauty school in your area...check them out....mine uses redken color...better than store bought...and I pay $22 for retouch color !!! but if not.... using this product in your color will take care of your gray problem!!! I promise !! ardell makes it and it comes in a small white box with black lettering...costs abt $5

Be carefull using this! I used it a couple of times and it dried my hair out terribly! I will never use it again!

NYC Susan1287409067.1834330 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007New York City and East Hampton, NY

I LOVE Perfect 10. I used to use L'Oreal Preference, and then switched to Excellence for it's good coverage of grey. But once I tried Perfect 10, I was hooked. Not only does it only have to set for 10 minutes, but there's no chemical smell, and the results are fabulous. It covered my grey better than anything I had ever tried.

Last month I went back to Excellence b/c I had a coupon for a free box. Never again! I don't know if they changed the formula, but grey started peeking out after just a couple of days. I called L'Oreal and was told that this is their best product for covering grey. After 2 weeks it looked really awful, so a few days ago I colored again with Perfect 10. I have learned my lesson! Clearly, what works for some does not work for others. Kiss

Dancing Ba­rbara1287409476.893129 PostsRegistered 9/24/2006Lexington, KY

I use Garnier Nutrisse also about every 4 weeks. I tried Perfect 10 and it was terrible. I had to go to the hair dresser and have it done over. It does not cover in 10 minutes. I have to color the top of my hair and leave it on for 10 minutes and then do the rest and leave that on 45 minutes. I also use Joan Rivers' cover up for in between. I have thin hair at the crown.

God will make a way when there seems to be no way.

Gloria1287409572.4074312 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 10/18/2010 france54 said:

I use Clairol Natural instincts... I don't have grays yet ..... but, this is a great way to cover gray hair... they have a lot of brown hair colors. My sister who is a hair stylist says never use ash colors to cover gray. Always use neutral colors. I use the Pecan color number 18 gives me great highlights and a lot less damaging then other hair dyes. SmileGood luck!

I am with you and I have recommended Natural Instincts many times on this bb. I have brown hair (sort of chestnut brown) and I use Roasted Chestnut. I do have some grays, of course mostly in the front! The grays are covered extremely well (I leave the product on the recommended 20 min. for gray hair). The grays sometimes look a little like highlights. My hair is soft and shiny. The included once a week conditioner is also wonderful. Since it is a semi-permanent color that washes out (I think 24-28 shampoos), you don't see a line of demarcation as you would from permanents. My grays only start to show with regrowth, but it isn't that noticeable, so I don't have to use a product to fill in. I actually do my hair every three months and it is fine. I start to see some grays, but not that noticeable.

NYC Susan1287409929.3774330 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007New York City and East Hampton, NY
On 10/18/2010 Dancing Barbara said:

I use Garnier Nutrisse also about every 4 weeks. I tried Perfect 10 and it was terrible. I had to go to the hair dresser and have it done over. It does not cover in 10 minutes. I have to color the top of my hair and leave it on for 10 minutes and then do the rest and leave that on 45 minutes. I also use Joan Rivers' cover up for in between. I have thin hair at the crown.

Wow! I've been using Perfect 10 for well over a year and I've never had a bad result. I have thick hair and lots of grey to cover, and it always does the job well. Quick and easy, and I'm good for 4 weeks at least.

We ARE all different, aren't we? Kiss

Nana51287410120.3432529 PostsRegistered 6/16/2006

Another vote for Garnier Nutrisse. I tried it thanks to a previous discussion on this bb.

I'd used L'Oreal products (permanent colors) for years but they just didn't cover any more. The grays would show through almost immediately. I've used Garnier Nutrisse twice now and am very happy with the results.

I do have an unusual situation, however. I never have gray "roots." My hair color seems to wear off the entire strand of hair. When I need to recolor, it's not roots but entire strands of hair that are gray. Does anyone else have this happen? Am I doing something wrong? FYI my hair is approximately 40-50% gray.

NYC Susan1287410552.094330 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007New York City and East Hampton, NY
On 10/18/2010 Nana5 said:

Another vote for Garnier Nutrisse. I tried it thanks to a previous discussion on this bb.

I'd used L'Oreal products (permanent colors) for years but they just didn't cover any more. The grays would show through almost immediately. I've used Garnier Nutrisse twice now and am very happy with the results.

I do have an unusual situation, however. I never have gray "roots." My hair color seems to wear off the entire strand of hair. When I need to recolor, it's not roots but entire strands of hair that are gray. Does anyone else have this happen? Am I doing something wrong? FYI my hair is approximately 40-50% gray.

I'm so relieved that someone else has had poor results w/L'Oreal. They used to be my favorites, but not any more, and I couldn't understand what had happened. I wonder if they changed something. And yes! What you described is exactly what happened when I used Excellence a few weeks ago. I had never had that happen before.

Nana51287412186.1532529 PostsRegistered 6/16/2006
On 10/18/2010 DebbieInNJ said:
On 10/18/2010 Nana5 said:

I'm so relieved that someone else has had poor results w/L'Oreal. They used to be my favorites, but not any more, and I couldn't understand what had happened. I wonder if they changed something. And yes! What you described is exactly what happened when I used Excellence a few weeks ago. I had never had that happen before.

I'd used L'Oreal permanent coloring for many years and it worked. I agree with you either they changed the ingredients in their product or, perhaps as DH suggests, I need super, heavy-duty color now.

Harpa1287414924.3937336 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

Best to look for 100% gray coverage (according to my hairdresser.) I always just get Clairol's "Roots," and the reason why is the time factor. Brunettes look terrible w/ gray hair. I've gone as much as 8 weeks, but that's really pushing it. Also, I use a dark brown powder for touchups right before I have to color. Don't really know if just cold water washing/rinsing really does help. I've tried both. WEN seems to help extend the color.

If anybody knows of anything natural.....I'm interested!! There's supposed to be an herb, he shou wu, and I have yet to try it. Other than that, the nutrient, copper, found in mushrooms is supposed to ward off gray.

If you're really desparate....try a tablespoon full of sulfure-free molasses each morning. Supposedly the nutrients in the molasses will revert the gray hair back to your original coloring. But this "treatment" takes a very long time, and I gave up before I could really detect anything noticeable.

And then one more: eat black sesame seeds, which also should help the gray.

lulu21287415546.1720740 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007

I believe the reason drugstore dye doesn't last as long on gray hair is because they use 10 volume developer. For gray coverage you need 20 volume developer. When I colored my own hair I switched from drugstore brands to ION from Sally's. It covered extremely well with 20 volume developer. So well, in fact it wouldn't fade and just got too dark. I switched to professional coloring and she only does my roots with Aveda products. They are more translucent and give me natural looking highlights as opposed to flat color. It never fades.

LipstickDi­va1287416432.61336699 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

Natural Instincts isn't going to do a good job if you have a lot of gray because it's only a semi-permanent haircolor. I have grays around my temples and they begin showing through shortly when I use NI.

I just colored my hair last night using L'Oreal Feria and it stated in the directions that if you have over a certain percentage of gray, you should not use this brand.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

BTwixx1287423181.961883 PostsRegistered 10/25/2005

Perfect 10 Wink

kgt1287425534.80731 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I use Wella (in a bottle) from Sally's with 20 dev. I don't get any gray until new growth starts showing around 4 weeks. My hair is probably about 70-80% silver and is somewhat color resistant. Loreal (Excellence and Preference) quit working for me many years ago and the one Clairol that I tried (also a long time ago - so haven't tried their new ones) did not cover my gray either. I thought about trying the Sally's brand but discussed it with my hairdresser and she said she would stick with Wella. The directions are on the inside of the box the color is in.

lovemygigi1287426117.6975095 PostsRegistered 3/12/2010
On 10/18/2010 lulu2 said:

I believe the reason drugstore dye doesn't last as long on gray hair is because they use 10 volume developer. For gray coverage you need 20 volume developer. When I colored my own hair I switched from drugstore brands to ION from Sally's. It covered extremely well with 20 volume developer. So well, in fact it wouldn't fade and just got too dark. I switched to professional coloring and she only does my roots with Aveda products. They are more translucent and give me natural looking highlights as opposed to flat color. It never fades.

Another vote her for the "ion" color line at Sally's. Using the Demi permanent gave my grays longer coverage than any professional coloring I have ever had done. Even though I primarily used it on my roots and then ran it through the ends for only 10 minutes, I too ended up with a lot of color saturation. So the last time I used the Permanent ONLY on regrowth and it has been 3 weeks and still covering very well! Better of course than the Demi I think this line is wonderful! My hair really likes it. Use it on my daughter, too. They have a post color treatment conditioner that seems to help lock in color!

I can't say enough about this hair color! It is the best I have ever used!

..." Right now, I'm in the sweet spot between complete ignorance and righteous indignation..." Stephen Colbert, 6/5/2014

Shelbelle1287435484.39733910 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Revlon Colorsilk for me

Swedishmiss1287445816.791320 PostsRegistered 8/11/2009

The only one I have found that works AND doesn't test on animals is Revlon ColorsilkSmile

Page 1 of 2