Early Access
128 Members and 10426 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Retin-A/Tretinoin cream directly under the eyes...a follow up question!

Started 1285123645.553 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1285447221.197 by liljudig

So I've been using my Tretinoin cream directly under my eyes and under my brow bone for the past 6 nights. I wait a few minutes and follow with Ponds strictly for moisture.

My eyes look HORRIBLE!...kind of puffy with bags and really exxagerated wrinkles/cracks underneath. Is this just the skin under my eyes getting used to the Retin-A? Will it start to improve? I'm a little concerned but I hate to stop if this is normal and I'll eventually see the benefit......{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

What do you think?

Page 1 of 1
bunnypink1285123749.5571458 PostsRegistered 4/14/2008

I've been using Retin-A directly under my eyes for about 1 year or so. To be honest, I haven't really seen much change (not like I did on the rest of my face). I'm curious what the other ppl have to say.

OCGurl1285123977.9977504 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Palm Desert, CA

if you have never used it before under the eye its a common reaction,

as well if the skin isnt prepped by using Retinol (for a year or so before or a lower strength Retin A ) this can happen

so maybe do it every couple of days now until it gets better and try buffering with the Ponds cream first for awhile until you get acclimated with it

no worries you should be able to build up to it and start to tolerate it

i use the highest strength under my eyes now for a few years.

terilinn1285124054.1752 PostsRegistered 5/27/2010
On 9/21/2010 bunnypink said:

I've been using Retin-A directly under my eyes for about 1 year or so. To be honest, I haven't really seen much change (not like I did on the rest of my face). I'm curious what the other ppl have to say.

Oh no....I was hoping this was going to be my Holy Grail eye product. I'm 48 with pretty decent skin EXCEPT for around my eyes. That's where I really see the wrinkles/lines/bags. Darn it...I wanted this to work so badly {#emotions_dlg.sad}

terilinn128512424852 PostsRegistered 5/27/2010
On 9/21/2010 OCGurl said:

if you have never used it before under the eye its a common reaction,

as well if the skin isnt prepped by using Retinol (for a year or so before or a lower strength Retin A ) this can happen

so maybe do it every couple of days now until it gets better and try buffering with the Ponds cream first for awhile until you get acclimated with it

no worries you should be able to build up to it and start to tolerate it

i use the highest strength under my eyes now for a few years.

Hi OCGurl~you responded on my original post too...thank you!

I think I am going to continue and see what happens. I'm thinking it's a reaction to the Retin-A and will hopefully subside in a few days. Good idea on using the Ponds first and then doing the Tretinoin on top, I'll try that tomorrow night. Fingers crossed and thanks again for the advice!!

springers1285124325.0936763 PostsRegistered 8/27/2008so cal

Since the skin around the eyes is thinner, I use .025 around my eyes, and .050 for face/neck; no problems. If I do use .050 under my eyes, I can see some puffiness. Apply very little.

Whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, or praiseworthy-think on these things.

lyn in MI1285154901.05724391 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan
On 9/21/2010 terilinn said:

So I've been using my Tretinoin cream directly under my eyes and under my brow bone for the past 6 nights. I wait a few minutes and follow with Ponds strictly for moisture.

My eyes look HORRIBLE!...kind of puffy with bags and really exxagerated wrinkles/cracks underneath. Is this just the skin under my eyes getting used to the Retin-A? Will it start to improve? I'm a little concerned but I hate to stop if this is normal and I'll eventually see the benefit......{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

What do you think?

What strength of Retin-A did you purchase? The skin around our eye area is thinner than on our face, My derm advises using Renova/Retin-A (.02/.025%) on the under eye area only (not under the brow, becasue it will migrate to the eyelids), and to initally use only twice weekly for the first 2 - 3 weeks, and then no more often than every other day. I tried using Renova on my eye area last year, and my undereye area became very crepy. I went back to Isomers serums.

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
♥ Birman =^..^= Servant ♥

Jayro1285155916.711945 PostsRegistered 11/29/2008

I did have a few months of adjustment at the start of using Retin A and there were days/weeks when my skin looked worse. But I kept reading everyone's advice here that it's a long term commitment and you don't get overnight results. I'm glad I stuck with it. When I had really red or flaky times, I just treated those symptoms, but kept on going with the Retin A.

I started in March 2009 using .025% everywhere on my face and neck 2-3 times/week. Now I use .05% every night everywhere from bra to hair line. I started with crepey eye lids, puffiness under eyes, dark circles and fine lines. That's all gone now. It even lifted the beginnings of hooding on one eye, eliminated a little looseness on my neck. I also had dull skin and had lost my natural skin color glow. Now my own pigment seems to be back and my skin tone is even. I did have some age or sun spots which I got rid of with hydroquinone.

I still have deep expression wrinkles on my upper cheeks when I smile, ahd the start of an 11 between my eyes. I've added some Isomers items that are supposed to target those. I'm hoping between the Isomers and the RetinA that I'm doing the best things I can afford to do topically for my issues.

TeriLinn1285171276.9454 PostsRegistered 11/27/2009
On 9/22/2010 lyn in MI said:
On 9/21/2010 terilinn said:

What do you think?

What strength of Retin-A did you purchase? The skin around our eye area is thinner than on our face, My derm advises using Renova/Retin-A (.02/.025%) on the under eye area only (not under the brow, becasue it will migrate to the eyelids), and to initally use only twice weekly for the first 2 - 3 weeks, and then no more often than every other day. I tried using Renova on my eye area last year, and my undereye area became very crepy. I went back to Isomers serums.

Hi lyn in mi~You're famous on the Beauty Board, I'm so glad you're commenting on my issue!

I am using Trentinoin cream with a strength of .025%. I think I am going to switch to every other night and eliminate the brow bone, but I will stick with it. I've seen the benefits of Retin-A around my lips/mouth and on my 11's so I keep thinking this is just a temporary set back and I'll see improvement eventually. *fingers crossed*

Thanks again for commenting!

TeriLinn1285171555.7654 PostsRegistered 11/27/2009
On 9/22/2010 Jayro said:

I did have a few months of adjustment at the start of using Retin A and there were days/weeks when my skin looked worse. But I kept reading everyone's advice here that it's a long term commitment and you don't get overnight results. I'm glad I stuck with it. When I had really red or flaky times, I just treated those symptoms, but kept on going with the Retin A.

I started in March 2009 using .025% everywhere on my face and neck 2-3 times/week. Now I use .05% every night everywhere from bra to hair line. I started with crepey eye lids, puffiness under eyes, dark circles and fine lines. That's all gone now. It even lifted the beginnings of hooding on one eye, eliminated a little looseness on my neck. I also had dull skin and had lost my natural skin color glow. Now my own pigment seems to be back and my skin tone is even. I did have some age or sun spots which I got rid of with hydroquinone.

I still have deep expression wrinkles on my upper cheeks when I smile, ahd the start of an 11 between my eyes. I've added some Isomers items that are supposed to target those. I'm hoping between the Isomers and the RetinA that I'm doing the best things I can afford to do topically for my issues.

Hi Jayro~

Sounds like we have VERY similar skin issues. Right now I'm experiencing the 'ugly' side of Retin-A with the redness, dryness, and more pronounced wrinkles but I'm going to stick with it. I'm sure eventually it will improve, I just need to get my poor skin adjusted to it.

I've definitely seen the benefits of Retin-A on my lip lines and 11's so here's hoping it will improve the look of my eyes also.

Thanks for the advice!

lyn in MI1285171630.8724391 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan

TeriLynn - I'm sure you will be happy with your results, and you should also find that once you cut back your usage, the crepiness will subside. btw, I also meant to mention that the puffyness may be caused by using the Ponds. You may want to check out Squalane or Argan Oil to apply over it (you may want to wait approx 20 minutes before applying). Make sure to only purchase 100% oil.

Last edited on 9/22/2010

Last edited on 9/22/2010

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~

csv3201285171921.9236724 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007

In the package insert they tell you to keep Retin-A AWAY from the eye area!!! I have never put Retin-A or even the gentler Renova under my eyes!!!!

lyn in MI1285172027.65724391 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan
On 9/22/2010 mj198 said:

In the package insert they tell you to keep Retin-A AWAY from the eye area!!! I have never put Retin-A or even the gentler Renova under my eyes!!!!

My derm prescribes Renova for use on crow's feet and under eye aging issues. Below is a link to B4 and Afters on Renova's web site...

http://aboutrenova.com/beforeandafter.asp

Last edited on 9/22/2010

Last edited on 9/22/2010

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~

Jayro1285173013.9531945 PostsRegistered 11/29/2008

TeriLynn, I really think we all just have to try and see what works on our skin and what we can live with. I'm glad now that I stuck with it, but there were times when my skin looked bad and I wondered if it was worth it. It turns out that it has been for me.

After I built up some resistance, I would still ( and still do) occasionally have flakey days or red patches, but I would just buffer or buffer more. I still usually buffer about one night a week based on what my skin is doing. I think that's been one of the big surprises to me - my skin is now different every day. It wasn't before Retin A. I guess that's because my cell turnover time has sped up - which I think is one way the Retin A works. That's a good thing, but every day means using a different combo or sequence for applying products. With time, you figure out what works for you.

It does help to try out a lot of ways to use your products, once you find the ones you're going to stick with. For example, I've found out that I really don't like Argon oil, but I like Jojoba and a special Jojoba mixture. I love Atopalm in the jar but not the tube. I like the OCM occasionally but not always, depends on the day. I like Ponds' cleanser but not moisturizer, I don't like C creams, but like C serums, etc., etc. I read about most of the products I've tried in Dr. Baumann's book and right here on these boards, but I use them based on what works best for me, and if they don't work, I quit, or put them away and try them later under a different circumstance. All those things I just learned by trial and error, not by what anybody could have told me would work for me.

And then there is the limiting factor of budget (for me). I can afford to continue using what I use now as long as necessary. I could not (or do not want) to afford a Perricone regimen, for example. There are many other products, I could probably try, but I dont want the budget obligation, so I don't bother. I like having long eyelashes, so I pay for Careprost. I don't care if I smell something good while showering, so I don't buy gallons of Philosophy to wash down my drain, for further examples.

Good luck!

Last edited on 9/22/2010

Last edited on 9/22/2010

TeriLinn1285187290.67754 PostsRegistered 11/27/2009
On 9/22/2010 mj198 said:

My derm prescribes Renova for use on crow's feet and under eye aging issues. Below is a link to B4 and Afters on Renova's web site...

Last edited on 9/22/2010

Thanks for the link Lyn~my undereyes look EXACTLY like the photos in Case 2; bags, dark circles, crow's feet and deep wrinkles. I think overall my skin is pretty decent for my age (48), but my eyes really give me away. Now I am more determined than ever to keep up the Retin-A under my eyes!

snowleopard1285190127.0831089 PostsRegistered 4/12/2008
On 9/22/2010 mj198 said:

Last edited on 9/22/2010

After using Renova for a few years, my crows feet are virtually gone. I have to scrunch my eyes tight to make them appear. I'm a happy camper!

lyn in MI1285190224.4524391 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan
On 9/22/2010 TeriLinn said:
On 9/22/2010 mj198 said:

Last edited on 9/22/2010

Thanks for the link Lyn~my undereyes look EXACTLY like the photos in Case 2; bags, dark circles, crow's feet and deep wrinkles. I think overall my skin is pretty decent for my age (48), but my eyes really give me away. Now I am more determined than ever to keep up the Retin-A under my eyes!

You're welcome, TeriLinn.

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~

NurseRecru­iter1285192080.49713869 PostsRegistered 6/9/2005Suburban Chicago

I suggest stopping the Retin A under your eyes completely for at least two weeks, maybe even three weeks. After six months, you simply should not have this reaction. You need to let the eye area completely heal.

After it is completely healed and back to normal, apply your eye cream FIRST, let it absorb and then top with Retin A. Do this every third night for about three weeks and then assess your situation. If you seen any puffiness at all or redness, then Retin A is simply not meant for you under your eyes.

You might consider a product with retinol such as Neutrogen's eye cream with retinol, Intenvise something, or even try Green Cream Level 3 but still, only every third night and assess after three weeks.

Products with Matrixyl/Matrixyl 3000 might be a less irritating alternative for you as they have similar anti-agining properties as a good retinol.

Are we friends on Facebook yet? See my profile for FB contact info!

OCGurl1285192401.937504 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Palm Desert, CA
On 9/22/2010 NurseRecruiter said:

I suggest stopping the Retin A under your eyes completely for at least two weeks, maybe even three weeks. After six months, you simply should not have this reaction. You need to let the eye area completely heal.

After it is completely healed and back to normal, apply your eye cream FIRST, let it absorb and then top with Retin A. Do this every third night for about three weeks and then assess your situation. If you seen any puffiness at all or redness, then Retin A is simply not meant for you under your eyes.

You might consider a product with retinol such as Neutrogen's eye cream with retinol, Intenvise something, or even try Green Cream Level 3 but still, only every third night and assess after three weeks.

Products with Matrixyl/Matrixyl 3000 might be a less irritating alternative for you as they have similar anti-agining properties as a good retinol.

OP used it for 6 days, not 6 months

liljudig1285447221.1971339 PostsRegistered 2/2/2007

I have used Retin-A for years and use all around my eyes.

Page 1 of 1