New Holiday Decor
126 Members and 15984 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

My eyebrows are disappearing!

Started 1284432978.347 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1284601844.71 by LostGirl

I have always had fairly thick eyebrows. I do pluck, but have not overplucked. Lately it looks like they are getting thinner. What causes this? I do use Retin-A, but I heard that it causes hair to grow! I started a toner, exfoliater, and serum, but surely these would not cause that problem. Is it just the aging process?

Page 1 of 2
drkcharger1284433640.18777 PostsRegistered 2/17/2005

I'm afraid so. I have the same problem, have for many years now. Of course there could be other reasons but there is not a magazine or talk show where i haven't heard them say this affects so many women as we age or do to overplucking. At least yours started out thick i was never that lucky. Mine were always on the thin side and as a teen i would shave mine rather than pluck Now i'm really paying!

foundinlv21284434036.585277 PostsRegistered 6/16/2010

Someone was just talking about Enormous Lash and I believe it also works on regrowing brows. It is expensive though...$95. Many of those lashing growing products work on brows, btw.

chickenbutt1284434213.85324212 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Yup, welcome to the club - a sukky one at that.

I grow hair on my head like a maniac, yet my eyebrows have gotten sparse over the years. I've tried several of the lash/brow serums and they really don't work on brows at all. A good quality powder to fill in the brows, so they don't look fakey, is the best defense.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Arie571284434357.663674 PostsRegistered 8/12/2007

If you haven't had a thyroid test, you might ask your doctor to do one. Thinning brows is one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. Look it up. Happened to me.

Introuble1284434437.987235 PostsRegistered 5/16/2010Ohio

I'm in the same boat. I always had thick hair on my head, a decent amount on arms & legs (before shaving!), & heavy, thick eyebrows. Now in my old age (in my late 60's), everything is disappearing! I hardly have to shave anymore, do it out of guilt - my eyebrows are almost non-existent. It's been going this way for several years now. The really downside is that now it grows on my chiny-chin-chin!!!!!!!!!!!!{#emotions_dlg.crying}

I use BE brow powder & gel to try to keep to as natural brow line as possible.

foundinlv21284434656.9935277 PostsRegistered 6/16/2010

Thanks for the info CB.

Here's what I had been reading from http://www.eyelash-growth.com/reviews/enormous-lash/

Enormous Lash Review

Enormous Lash has been around for several years but was recently revamped and reformulated so that the product no longer includes paraben and prostaglandin. The new and improved formula comes in a mascara-like tube with an eyeliner applicator and is applied twice a day to both the upper and lower lash lines. As a result, users will see increased growth in both length and the number of hairs so that lashes are thicker and longer. Patent pending and clinically tested, the formula is ideal for sensitive eyes and comes with a one year satisfaction guarantee.

How does Enormous Lash work?

Enormous Lash can be applied once or twice a day to both the upper and lower lash lines with an eyeliner application. One application can take place before bed so that the product is working overnight. The Enormous Lash formula contains various conditioners to soften and repair existing lashes as well as nutrients and peptides to encourage longer and thicker hair growth. As a result, eyelashes increase in length and number, resulting in fuller, more voluptuous lashes. The product works similarly on eyebrows as well. Those with thinning eyebrows can apply the formula directly to the sparse area to increase hair growth.

Our Research on Enormous Lash Suggests:

After comparing unbiased reviews written by people who have used the product, we found that many people enjoyed Enormous Lash and felt as though the product worked the way it was designed to. While results varied, most people saw signs of increased length and volume within three weeks while almost everyone who tried the product saw full results within six weeks. Most people found that their tubes of Enormous Lash lasted between six and eight weeks. Retailing for around $95, many users said they were aware of the expense but felt the price was worth the results.

Last edited on 9/13/2010

Last edited on 9/13/2010

Hyacinth B­ucket1284434769.6433324 PostsRegistered 3/26/2009no where

This happened to a friend of mine, after she was bitten by a pig.

It is by suffering that human beings become angels~~Victor Hugo

chickenbutt1284435097.90324212 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Thanks for that information, Found! It didn't seem like the conclusion was very specific. I wonder what the specific info was - I've found that pretty much all of them work on eyelashes. Even the $3 Ardell works great for eyelashes. It would be nice to know what works on eyebrows...

Enormous Lash is not one that I've tried - probably because of that $95 price tag, eh? YOUCH! I wonder if it really does work that well, or if it's just a sales pitch. If it DID do that I would think it w/b worth the money but I'd hate to invest and find it isn't any more effective than the others. Oh, the decisions! hehe

All of the ones I have tried were priced between $10 and $60. I finally gave up the fight.

Last edited on 9/13/2010

Last edited on 9/13/2010

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

dgluvr1284436422.755257 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008

Thinning eyebrows can be a sign of thyroid disease- I have hypothyroidism and I'm always seeking out information on it. My eyebrows have noticeably thinned, generally started at the inside ( over the bridge of the nose) but also along the whole brow. I don't know why posters are telling you to use eyelash products on your eyebrows- whole different thing. Anyhow,while Joan River's product for thinning hair is a great "fill-in" for your eyebrows as well and it lasts until you wash it off. You will want to use a much smaller flat brush than the one that comes with it -flat and stiff - then just dab like Joan tells you to do.A light touch is best.I haven't found any product that will only make your eyebrows "grow" again and I don't think I'd want to fool around with one if I did. Would it cause your eyebrows to grow in or also affect the ones you still have? I really like Joan's product ( sorry I can't think of what it's called! Perhaps type in Joan River beauty products and thanks to some other posters suggesting her "blonde" selection, mine look very naturally filled in ( and believe me if they weren't - my kids would let me know!)And since I mostly use it on my eyebrows it will probably last for years ( although I also have thinning hair all over my head due to the hypothyroid problem and depending on how I wear it, I do sometimes fill in with it.

Last edited on 9/13/2010

Last edited on 9/13/2010

Pianomama1284437996.232867 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007southern California

I do have thyroid disease-take Synthroid and have for quite a few years. I have it tested every 6 months to be sure I am on the right dose. I think, like many of you, it is age related. And it is so true that hair seems to grow longer and thicker but never in the places you want it! It would be nice to transfer some of those chin hairs to my eyebrows.{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} I have a full head of hair and it grows like crazy all over my legs. Gee-even on the toes! Thank goodness for razors.

Visaqueen1284439156.789244 PostsRegistered 1/29/2007Suffragette City

This can be a result of aging and overplucking.

I have "permanent eyebrows" - OK, I guess they are tats, but they are done by an eyebrow pro - and I am so so SO much happier since I've had it done. I am in the sun a lot, so I get touch ups every other year.

I pluck the extras, and don't stress about my thinning/missing brows. I am an athletic, active person, and the permanent solution is the best for me.

I use neulash on my lashes, and have super long lashes. I don't know if permanent brows are a possibility for you, but they have been one of the best cosmetic investments I have ever made.

I have a fever . . . and the only cure . . . is more COWBELL!

bunjetto1284441028.232755 PostsRegistered 11/2/2006

Totally agree with Visaqueen!!! Best investment makeup wise.

Zaksgrrl1284450989.279844 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008In the sun but willing to go into the dark

How old are you? My brows, always Brooke Shields-like, are much sparser now. I've let them grow a little 'wider' to try to compensate.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
When I get through this, I'm going to live the life of an adventurer.
Bear Grylls

Zaksgrrl1284451068.369844 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008In the sun but willing to go into the dark
On 9/13/2010 Visaqueen said:

This can be a result of aging and overplucking.

I have "permanent eyebrows" - OK, I guess they are tats, but they are done by an eyebrow pro - and I am so so SO much happier since I've had it done. I am in the sun a lot, so I get touch ups every other year.

I pluck the extras, and don't stress about my thinning/missing brows. I am an athletic, active person, and the permanent solution is the best for me.

I use neulash on my lashes, and have super long lashes. I don't know if permanent brows are a possibility for you, but they have been one of the best cosmetic investments I have ever made.

Visaqueen, who makes neulash? My lashes could use some help too.

TIA

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
When I get through this, I'm going to live the life of an adventurer.
Bear Grylls

Desertdi1284452405.41715935 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

If you look at the Sept issue of VOGUE.........a lot of the fashion models' eyebrows have disappeared, too. Maybe it's the "latest".............

BeachParkB­abe1284475430.09538 PostsRegistered 5/27/2010

I am trying generic Walgreen's Minoxidi 5%. 20.00 for 3 bottles. I will give it 6 months. I can only use at night as I can't seem to get it to dry in the a.m. before putting on my brows. My brows are almost non-existent. I will do a progress report in 6 months or when I start to see any results. I read somewhere it is around 60 days for an eyebrow to re-grow so maybe that is why results are so so slow. I had a little luck with generic Careprost, but after 9 months gave up. My eyebrows are also beet red and I have googled this with no results. They are not flaky just very red. Anyone have the same condition?

GoodStuff1284475766.9815146 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

A thyroid test wouldn't hurt, but more than likely this is just part of aging. Hair thins on your head and brows and moves to your chin. Hooray.

Angel19481284476251.9434659 PostsRegistered 8/23/2008DFW Metroplex , Tx.

I just turned 62 and my brows are thin also, of course when I was younger I did pluck them to make them thin , I guess after so many years of plucking they just didn't grow back. I probably haven't had to pluck in over 10 years. Of course I do have to pluck the chin hairs.

iachick1284476325.3633100 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008
On 9/13/2010 Arie57 said:

If you haven't had a thyroid test, you might ask your doctor to do one. Thinning brows is one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. Look it up. Happened to me.

Yes, happened to me, as well, especially thinning of the "tails" of the eyebrows! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

LIBeth1284477481.783145 PostsRegistered 6/29/2009

It happens to the best of us :-) I had the pleasure of meeting the #2 national makeup artist for Sephora, Gilbert, recently. He said makeup artists way prefer ladies to use a pencil rather than other products, that it mimics the look of the brow hair more than powders, etc. (I love Laura Mercier's - you just have to sharpen the pencils almost every day b/c they must be super sharp to look 'right'. Just FYI!

mrsbart1284478695.5327 PostsRegistered 9/8/2010

Boy do I feel your pain. I HATE my brows, or lack thereof. I also have hypothyroidism and take Synthroid, but my brows have always been awful. I have thought of the permanent brows, but don't know where to go to get them and honestly, I'm a bit paranoid about anything permanent.

I just got the Anasthasia Brow Kit from the other shopping network and I'm trying that, but they look so fake!!! What I think I am going to do is keep applying my brow with the stencil and try and let the hair grow in where it is supposed to grow. Hopefully this will work.......I just hate the thought of looking like a clown until it grows in.

Chey1284479156.563516 PostsRegistered 8/13/2006Oklahoma

I had the same problem at the ends of my eyebrows; they disappeared. Some signs of low thyroid that I had were ... palms of hands and soles of feet were a light orangish hue (thought it was due to getting older), I was tired all the time (thought it was due to getting older), losing more hair than the norm when combing or shampooing (thought it was due to getting older), cold all the time (repeat). I mentioned these things to my doctor, and she had a thyroid test done. Turns out all of my "getting older" symptoms were due to hypothyroidism.

But, I am getting older! LOL!

Chey1284479239.583516 PostsRegistered 8/13/2006Oklahoma
On 9/14/2010 GoodStuff said:

A thyroid test wouldn't hurt, but more than likely this is just part of aging. Hair thins on your head and brows and moves to your chin. Hooray.

That's certainly the truth! It's pitiful!

TopazEyes1284480495.9574 PostsRegistered 9/14/2010

thyroid?

T3 / T levels?

anemia?

scatcat1284480547.1871402 PostsRegistered 11/19/2006

Wow! They naturally thin out as you age? Looking forward to it. Less, plucking, waxing, threading, trimming, brushing. Thanks for the heads up.

Page 1 of 2