Honored Contributor

~ Easter means forgiveness ~

“A life lived without forgiveness is a prison.”
(William Arthur Ward)

After much thought about recent threads and events, I was prompted to talk about forgiveness, resentment, and grudges with one of my brothers-in-law who's a pastor. He said the topic is timely because he feels Easter is a pivotal time to embrace forgiveness. One of the readings he shared is at this link*, here's just a tiny excerpt:

"Every single person in the world has one thing in common: they have been wounded by others. The Christian world has been preaching the need for forgiveness since its beginnings and now, the secular world is understanding the importance of forgiveness as well. Many secular psychologists are telling people that a key to emotional and mental well being is found in forgiveness…”

“Let today be the day you finally release yourself from the imprisonment of past grudges and anger. Simplify your life. Let go of the poisonous past and live the abundantly beautiful present... today.”
(Steve Maraboli)

“I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.”
(William Blake)

“Most people are only doing the best that they know how to do. Blaming and holding grudges only brings more pain.”
(Maggie Cox)

“Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs.”
(Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre)

(*https://pcobern.wordpress.com/2011/04/19/easter-means-forgiveness/)

~~~~~~

In this season of forgiveness I want to apologize for any upset or discomfort I've caused, and also to say I hold no hard feelings toward anyone who posts on these forums. I hope whenever there are problems we all can address them as soon as they crop up and work things out, even if we need to agree to disagree. I'm far from perfect, so I know I'll continue to stumble, but I'll keep trying to learn from my mistakes and "when I know better, I'll do better" to paraphrase Maya Angelou.

Good wishes to all for a happy, peaceful Easter season.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

Re: ~ Easter means forgiveness ~

Hi dooBdoo!

Honored Contributor

On 3/27/2015 HollyDays said:

Hi dooBdoo!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Hi, Holly! Hope you're having a superb day!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

Thank you, I am and I wish the same for you{#emotions_dlg.wub} Awesome post{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Valued Contributor

Yes, Easter is a very special day. It is when God sacrificed His Son so we can have ever lasting life. We should forgive as God has forgiven us through Jesus.

Nice thread.

Honored Contributor

On 3/27/2015 HollyDays said:

Thank you, I am and I wish the same for you{#emotions_dlg.wub} Awesome post{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Thanks. I really do appreciate that.Smile

Honored Contributor

On 3/27/2015 TaxyLady said:

Yes, Easter is a very special day. It is when God sacrificed His Son so we can have ever lasting life. We should forgive as God has forgiven us through Jesus.

Nice thread.

Thanks, TaxyLady. The discussion at the link goes into more of the scriptural background, but I think it's also an important secular concept.

Honored Contributor

Hmmm. Apparently someone in Viewpoints found this thread to be objectionable, because it's been moved to "Among Friends."

{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Super Contributor

On 3/27/2015 dooBdoo said:

“I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.”
(William Blake)

In this season of forgiveness I want to apologize for any upset or discomfort I've caused, and also to say I hold no hard feelings toward anyone who posts on these forums. I hope whenever there are problems we all can address them as soon as they crop up and work things out, even if we need to agree to disagree. I'm far from perfect, so I know I'll continue to stumble, but I'll keep trying to learn from my mistakes and "when I know better, I'll do better" to paraphrase Maya Angelou.

Good wishes to all for a happy, peaceful Easter season.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Hi doobs! Interesting poem by Blake - it's called The Poison Tree and goes on to say that the anger blossoms to the point that the speaker sees his enemy stretched out beneath the tree (dead) and takes pleasure in that. The tree has produced anger fruit which the enemy has metaphorically eaten.

So when we are angry and hurtful to others, we don't always recognize how much that can "kill" another person (I take that as a spiritual demise in self-esteem).

Rumi also said when we are hurting, ask for forgiveness. Interesting.

Have a wonderful spring season and for those who celebrate religious events such as Easter and Passover - be happy.

Have much to do - closed early this morning and looking forward to moving.

eta: The religion aspect may have caused the thread to be moved.

Honored Contributor

On 3/27/2015 Cakers1 said:
On 3/27/2015 dooBdoo said:<br />

<br /> <em>“I was angry with my friend:</em><br /> <em>I told my wrath, my wrath did end.</em><br /> <em>I was angry with my foe:</em><br /> <em>I told it not, my wrath did grow.”</em><br /> <em>(William Blake)</em><br /> <br /> <br /> In this season of forgiveness I want to apologize for any upset or discomfort I've caused, and also to say I hold no hard feelings toward anyone who posts on these forums. I hope whenever there are problems we all can address them as soon as they crop up and work things out, even if we need to agree to disagree. I'm far from perfect, so I know I'll continue to stumble, but I'll keep trying to learn from my mistakes and "when I know better, I'll do better" to paraphrase Maya Angelou.<br /> <br /> <br /> Good wishes to all for a happy, peaceful Easter season.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Hi doobs! Interesting poem by Blake - it's called The Poison Tree and goes on to say that the anger blossoms to the point that the speaker sees his enemy stretched out beneath the tree (dead) and takes pleasure in that. The tree has produced anger fruit which the enemy has metaphorically eaten.

So when we are angry and hurtful to others, we don't always recognize how much that can "kill" another person (I take that as a spiritual demise in self-esteem).

Rumi also said when we are hurting, ask for forgiveness. Interesting.

Have a wonderful spring season and for those who celebrate religious events such as Easter and Passover - be happy.

Have much to do - closed early this morning and looking forward to moving.

eta: The religion aspect may have caused the thread to be moved.

Hi, again, Cakers! Thank you, so much, for sharing this. I wasn't aware of the background of that poem. How appropriate, and such a good lesson. I might steal it for a new thread later.Wink

Thanks for the good wishes, and I hope all goes well with your move. That can be so stressful and trying, so remember to be good to yourself and don't overdo, now y'hear?