Super Contributor

Let's Try Again: HYPNOTHERAPY

Anyone have any experience with hypnotherapy?

I misspelled my 1st thread about this... so I'm trying again!

I'm going through a lot of challenges right now and some deep seated fear and someone recommended a therapist who specializes in that field. The person who gave me his name said she was afraid of flying, and he helped her get through it and she can now fly anywhere.

I am a bit skeptical but will talk to him initially (won't cost anything for first appt). He said he doesn't put "people under" but works with the patient by techniques to help clear the mind and quiet the thoughts and I would never be "under his power" so to speak. He said it's nothing like the stereotype you see on TV or movies.

Anyway, just wondered if anyone has had experience with this type of therapy and if it is something that works and to consider.

Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Let's Try Again: HYPNOTHERAPY

I don't have personal experience, but I've read a lot about it. It can be a very effective therapeutic technique and have an impact very quickly. It won't help you work through anything, but it can definitely help you deal with fearful situations and get on with your life. I would give it a try!
Honored Contributor

Yes, one of our neighbors, years ago, was afraid to fly (because of 9-11) and definitely had to because of her important job, so a hypnotherapist helped her to solve her problem. No problems since that time.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

Good to know. I appreciate the feedback.

I've had a lot happening in my life (just lost a job of 18 years due to a merger) and am so fearful of not finding the right new job, finances of course and just fear of the next issue to happen. I recently lost a parent, so it's been a whirlwind of crisis and life changes.

Thanks for responding.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't done it but I think I would try it if I felt the need. It may just help you with whatever is going on right now.

Respected Contributor

Depending on your issues it can't hurt. But if the first session is free, I guarentee he'll make sure it takes more than one visit.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

I've never tried hypnosis, but I wanted to comment on this. I've been fortunate to have some excellent therapists, and among the most helpful things I learned were self-hypnosis, bio-feedback, and guided imagery. Once these are learned, we can use the techniques whenever we need or want to without help from another person..

I wish you well, Apple Head.Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

Thanks again to all of you who responded. Appreciate the support.

I decided not to use this person. I looked up more info on him and other hypnotherapists have certain credentials behind their names to verify they are certified at hypnotherapy. This guy has none either on his Facebook page or Linkedin. I find that questionable, especially for that type of therapy.

I will find assistance elsewhere, hopefully.