Trusted Contributor

I have a longtime friend who usually takes me to a high-end restaurant for my birthday each year. I like steak, but she doesn't eat red meat. For the last 4 years we have gone to a steakhouse and this year I suggested a different one. So she just emailed me that she always wanted to go to a 4 diamond Italian restaurant sometime in her lifetime and maybe we could go there. I would prefer the one I suggested, but since she is paying maybe I should given in and go where she wants to go. On the other hand, why is she putting a guilt trip on me for not going where I would like to go. They are comparable in price. So I am kind of taking a poll---would you stick with the one you prefer to try, or acquiesce and go where she wants.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Kind of a petty question

Happy upcoming birthday to you!

Are you able to offer to treat your friend at the Italian restaurant for her birthday?

If not, I would probably do the polite thing and graciously accept her offer. It is her gift to you.

Super Contributor

On 3/4/2015 Rowan72 said:

Happy upcoming birthday to you!

Are you able to offer to treat your friend at the Italian restaurant for her birthday?

If not, I would probably do the polite thing and graciously accept her offer. It is her gift to you.

I agree with Rowan.

Respected Contributor

I don't see her putting a guilt trip on you. She's only telling you where she would like to go since you suggested changing restaurants. She's giving you a gift. Accept it graciously and with gratitude.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

I don't see any "guilt trip" either. Plus, if the restaurant she's chosen is REALLY good, they may offer a steak or beef dish that you'll like.
Esteemed Contributor

Go where she would like to try....what's the difference...she is buying you the dinner...and I am sure you can find something on the menu you would like....

Honored Contributor

On 3/5/2015 circles said:

Go where she would like to try....what's the difference...she is buying you the dinner...and I am sure you can find something on the menu you would like....

ITA - plus most Italian places have some kind of steak too!

Super Contributor

I don't see her putting a guilt trip on you at all. I find your reaction rather odd.

I would go with her suggestion.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with Rowan, too, if the Italian place has something on the menu that you can eat. (I only eat low carb, so I really can't eat at Italian restaurants.)
Super Contributor

Since she is the hostess, she gets to pick the venue. Maybe take her to your choice on her birthday. Unless of course it's been the custom for the birthday girl to pick the place.