Contributor

A Very Sensitive Question re: My Adult Daughter

I have a 30 year old daughter. She is a college graduate, and has a good job. She is very responsible, has no attendance problems, etc. For the third or fourth time now, her supervisor has told her that others complain about her hygiene. She has changed her routine by showering in the morning and changing body wash to Irish Spring. She wears scrubs and uses clean ones every day, as well as clean underwear and everything else. She air dries her scrubs. I never smell anything on her, even at the end of the day. I have actually put her worn close right up to my nose and can't smell a thing. (She has stayed here with the bad snows.) I am an RN, and I have no further suggestions for her, as she even checked this with her medical and gyn doctors. Any suggestions to offer?

Honored Contributor

Re: A Very Sensitive Question re: My Adult Daughter

Sounds like she has done every thing she can to remedy what her coworkers are complaining about. It may not be that your daughter has a hygiene problem, the problem may be her coworkers do not like her for some reason and want to drive her out. I worked in a hospital setting for years and women can be very catty and vicious if they don't like you. I was surprised at this because of their education level and they were supposed to be professionals. I know if I had your daughter's problem I would look for another job.

Trusted Contributor

Perhaps it could be her shoes/socks? I was also going to suggest it may be a gyn problem.

Perhaps she could talk to her supervisor in private and tell her/him of her efforts, and ask for more specific information as to what the problem others are complaining about. Does she smoke, or use any perfumes, or scented products of any kind? Any hair products? Could it be dental related? A stomach bacteria can cause bad breath, also. Sometimes medication can cause the body to exude an odor, but her doctor should have ruled that out.

IMO, she needs to let her supervisor know that she has done all of this and really needs more specific information as to how to resolve these complaints from others.

Good luck.

ETA: Baker makes a valid point, that thought crossed my mind, also.

Honored Contributor

On 3/3/2015 baker said:

Sounds like she has done every thing she can to remedy what her coworkers are complaining about. It may not be that your daughter has a hygiene problem, the problem may be her coworkers do not like her for some reason and want to drive her out. I worked in a hospital setting for years and women can be very catty and vicious if they don't like you. I was surprised at this because of their education level and they were supposed to be professionals. I know if I had your daughter's problem I would look for another job.

This is what I thought after reading the post.

Respected Contributor

Two great suggestions, is she around animals? They love to snuggle in clothes. It could be nothing, just a way of others being cruel and want her to leave that would be horrible.
Trusted Contributor

I agree that your daughter should talk with her supervisor, tell her what she has done in an effort to address her co-workers' complaints, and ask for more specific information about what the co-workers are complaining of. I wonder if it may be a problem with bad breath. Sometimes there are biological issues (h pylori in the stomach, acid reflux, sinus problems, dry mouth) that cause bad breath even in people who brush their teeth, use mouthwash, etc. Or does your daughter like foods with pungent flavorings like garlic, fish sauce, etc? Sometimes highly seasoned or ethnic foods create strong breath odors that may be unpleasant to others. Does she have digestive problems?

Sadly, it is also possible that others are trying to push her out for some reason. Has she had any conflicts or unpleasant incidents with her co-workers or with her boss?

Honored Contributor

This is just a situation which I've (we've) had and have finally found the culprit (at least for us!)

I noticed (I have a very sensitive nose & very allergic to perfumes, air fresheners, etc.) a musty/mildew smell in our clothing after it was washed & dryer (It was worse when ironing from the steam). My husband said to me I can't wear these golf shirts they STINK and so do I! OMG I wash clothes everyday and nothing sits. Even as they hung to dry in the open air. It became worse as he was wearing them.

Then I noticed our towels had a weird smell -- Our washing machine is a newer model (top loader) which uses the HE detergents & the dryer is the same age. I tried everything, washing the machine with vinegar, etc.

Nothing seemed to take this odor away. So I called out a repairman to check it out. He found nothing wrong but asked me about my detergent I was using. Then I realized I changed from ALL FREE & CLEAR to TIDE FREE (on sale) and this is when the odor problem started.

Perhaps it the laundry detergent she is using & the pH in her body that may not mix. I know since I changed back to ALL Free & Clear NO MORE SMELLY clothes or us! Believe it or not, we could smell that on my skin...it was terrible.

Just a thought!

Honored Contributor

If she is obese, bacteria can accumulate in/under the skin folds and cause an unpleasant odor.

Honored Contributor

The only person I ran into was a garlic eater. I mean he must have eaten a lot. It seemed to come out his pores. I wonder if it's a food she might be eating? The others here could have a point too. Women are mean sometimes, huh, imagine that! I'd start having her narrow down when and either solve the mystery or she can fight back and put an end to catty behavior.

Esteemed Contributor

Could it be her breath? Some people seem to have very bad breath no matter what they do. Perhaps its her dental hygiene?