Regular Contributor

Anybody else wonder about this?

They say not to discuss religion. I' taking a chance here. When someone you know and love has a serious health problem and then suddenly it looks like they're getting better...Wonderful! People tell you that God has healed them. If God is capable of making them well, why would he allow them to get sick in the first place? Sorry but I've never been able to grasp why that is. This is only one example, but religion does not make any sense at all to me.
Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody else wonder about this?

You're entitled to your opinion.

Respected Contributor

In our area there are extended learning courses that address your question. The program is partnered with a nearby 4 year university. From what they've said, the teachers/professors are not paid but yet, most classes I've attended were all former school teachers but more times than not, former or present professors from the university its partnered.

I've attended a few of the religious courses and it's always been taught by a former college professor that had taught religion. Attendance is limited to under 20 people to keep it manageable and under control. You are encouraged to attend multiple offerings of the same course because doing so makes each class unique, different people have differing perspectives. That is the perfect environment for just such your questions because it's non-denominational, non-judgmental, etc. At the beginning of the course they stress that every opinion is valued but bullying is absolutely not permitted and you will be asked to leave if you get out of hand. I've never been in a class where the conversation was heated or got out of control. You should check to see if you have something like this in your area. Your questions are best handled in a place where everyone is looking each other in the eye and one's tone and demeanor are not misconstrued as it often can be on a nameless faceless social message board.

Frequent Contributor

It's like when someone says "she's so lucky , she only broke her arm".....if she were "lucky", it wouldn't have happened at all! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

Because He is God and I can't possibly understand His ways since they are so far above me.

I have come to believe that what God told Job is about all we will ever know for sure; that He does things for His own purposes even though we earthlings will never understand in this lifetime anyway.

Honored Contributor

On 3/2/2015 Tenners said: They say not to discuss religion. I' taking a chance here. When someone you know and love has a serious health problem and then suddenly it looks like they're getting better...Wonderful! People tell you that God has healed them.(1) If God is capable of making them well, why would he allow them to get sick in the first place? Sorry but(2) I've never been able to grasp why that is. This is only one example, but religion does not make any sense at all to me.

To experience life in all aspects is part of what those "that believe" understand. My many near death experiences in the hospital I met many that said "when it is your time, it is your time", thus a human can do nothing about it. My response to all of them is always, "than why are you here in the hospital". Must have been "your time" and you came to the hospital anyways.

(1) I believe there is "a time", but how one chooses to live their life has a distinct bearing on when that time will come. Anyone that believes in preventative and is a their own best Health Advocate believes that way for a reason regardless of whether they are highly religious or and atheist.

(2) That, in my opinion, is why people face death and delay it until another time. They experience the best and the worst of their lives and, again in my opinion, had I not been my own health advocate and taken care of my body, I would not be here typing this response.

I was raised and went to nothing but Catholic Schools, however I consider myself an agnostic and have for many decades now. Was I lucky to beat death 8 times? You bet I was/am, but I realize my belief in physical and mental health was also a reason I survived while thousands of others probably would not.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

When it comes to religion, you just have to take everything on faith. Close your eyes and just "believe" because there is no logic to religion. You believe or you don't. The older I get, the less I believe. Actually, a friend and I had a similar conversation about prayers last night. We got a text from a mutual friend letting us all know that our prayers had been answered, her boyfriend responded exceptionally well to chemotherapy, no sign of cancer now. So, she's crediting all those prayers. The therapy, the hospital, the care, the doctors; apparently had nothing to do with it. It was prayer. However, if he'd had a poor response, if his condition was deteriorating and hopeless.....would she be saying that the prayers FAILED?? The answer, of course is no. She would not. She'd blame it on the doctors or the hospital or bad luck but she would never say God didn't grant me my wish. I'm not singling her out, that's just people who consider themselves to be religious think.

Super Contributor

I've had that question and searched for a long time for an answer. The answer is, there is no answer. Horrors and tragedy have always been happening, and will continue to happen. We live in a broken world. The only analogy I can think of is fish. They swim around under the sea in their world, not knowing that a whole other world exists, a totally different world. So it is with us. We can't see what lies ahead, but, our hope is in the promise of a better world to come, as per what it says in the bible.
Honored Contributor

There really are some questions with no definitive answer.

I firmly believe in the power of prayer and I believe all our prayers are heard and answered.

But the answer to prayer isn't always the answer we want.

The answer is what God (or your Higher Power) wants.

Add to that the fact that there is no perfect person on earth and no perfect life. And the fact that we learn some of the most valuable and powerful lessons through experiencing and overcoming pain, hardship, and trials... so we actually need those to be a better person. That's the best "answer" I have to this.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

I am a believer. I love God with all my heart. I pray and He hears me. Not all prayers aree answered. He knows what is best for us. I have much to learn as far as His ways are concerned. But He has answered many of my prayers and I love Him for that. You have to accept Him as a little child. People make faith too complicated.