Trusted Contributor

Discovercard CashBack bonus dollars stolen

I received an e-mail from Discovercard yesterday thanking me for using my CashBack bonus dollars. Only thing is….I did not use my CashBack bonus dollars. So, I called Discover to alert them and they were wonderful. Someone had ordered an electronic gift card from Lowe’s using my bonus dollars. They were able to cancel my credit card and will send out a new one and hopefully stop the E-card from being sent out from Lowe’s. They credited back the bonus dollars taken. Because Discover sent that e-mail to me I was able to respond immediately and the whole thing was addressed and resolved within 20 minutes of receiving that e-mail.

Since the card was not stolen, I am left trying to figure out several things….how someone gained access to my credit card (everyone wonders that when this type of thing happens) and how they knew I had bonus dollars and why they used $45 bonus dollars (when there were more) yet never actually charged anything to the credit card. Any thoughts that might solve this puzzle in my mind? I am someone who likes to logically think things through and I can't logically make sense of the thief's actions. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

Re: Discovercard CashBack bonus dollars stolen

No advice but I also have discover card and really like their customer service, they're great.

I hope you find out how they managed to get your bonus dollars, that is odd.

Respected Contributor

Not sure how that would happen ... strange that they didn't use your actual credit card or take all of the bonus dollars. Did Discover have any ideas on how that could happen??

Honored Contributor

Just a thought....I, too, have cash back dollars from Discover. My husband has access to them even though the card is in my name. Is it possible someone in your family used some/part and forgot to mention it? I cant think of a way anyone else could know about it. Discover has super tight security.......
~H~
Honored Contributor

Last month someone used more than $2500 of Cash Back Rewards of ours at Amazon. I received an email from Amazon confirming my latest purchase. Without using that link I checked my Amazon account and sure enough, there was a large order being shipped to a third party.

I was still able to cancel the order. I called Amazon and was instructed what to do with my account. I called Discover and cancelled the card. The order was never shipped so I had no problem having our CB rewards reinstated.

The next day I received a call from Amazon fraud and was told I should not try to contact the person or give the name to Discover (why would they care?) Amazon removed the name, address and telephone number from my account. They also wanted me to once again change my account settings. (this was the third time I changed passwords since I'd been notified about this purchase)

I believe it was an insider at Amazon because Amazon asks if you are paying with a Discover Card if you want to use your CB Rewards. If someone had stolen my credit card, how would be be able to access my Amazon account? (this was the only place the card or my rewards were used)

Trusted Contributor

On 2/26/2015 momtodogs said:

No advice but I also have discover card and really like their customer service, they're great.

I hope you find out how they managed to get your bonus dollars, that is odd.

Yes, it is always so nice when you find a company that offers consistent quality in their customer service areas and Discover does. I hope I figure it out, too. I always like to understand a situation, not just solve it, whenever that is possible. It keeps my mind active with critical thinking skills and if it is solved I usually learn something beneficial that will help me in the future. DH is more of a "let it go" kind of person so I often drive him crazy trying to solve the puzzle. It is nice to be able to come here and draw on other people's thoughts and experiences.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/26/2015 Tootie15 said:

Not sure how that would happen ... strange that they didn't use your actual credit card or take all of the bonus dollars. Did Discover have any ideas on how that could happen??

I found it strange, too. Every time I asked Discover if they had any ideas they just kept assuring me that I had zero loss protection and that it didn't matter, I was covered. I appreciated that fact, but also really wanted to know if there was something I could do to prevent it from happening again and/or just understand it better. They must deal in so many issues like this all day, everyday that my $45 was a drop in the bucket. But it was important to me to know all I could.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/26/2015 Helen47 said: Just a thought....I, too, have cash back dollars from Discover. My husband has access to them even though the card is in my name. Is it possible someone in your family used some/part and forgot to mention it? I cant think of a way anyone else could know about it. Discover has super tight security.......

It is just DH and me so that is what I thought at first, especially since it was from Lowe's (not that we shop there...just that most of the type of products Lowe's carried fall more into his domain in our household. However, he did not make the purchase and we are both equally perplexed by the situation. We can't image how anyone else got access to cash back dollars.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/26/2015 lulu2 said:

Last month someone used more than $2500 of Cash Back Rewards of ours at Amazon. I received an email from Amazon confirming my latest purchase. Without using that link I checked my Amazon account and sure enough, there was a large order being shipped to a third party.

I was still able to cancel the order. I called Amazon and was instructed what to do with my account. I called Discover and cancelled the card. The order was never shipped so I had no problem having our CB rewards reinstated.

The next day I received a call from Amazon fraud and was told I should not try to contact the person or give the name to Discover (why would they care?) Amazon removed the name, address and telephone number from my account. They also wanted me to once again change my account settings. (this was the third time I changed passwords since I'd been notified about this purchase)

I believe it was an insider at Amazon because Amazon asks if you are paying with a Discover Card if you want to use your CB Rewards. If someone had stolen my credit card, how would be be able to access my Amazon account? (this was the only place the card or my rewards were used)

This helps! I did make two purchases earlier in the week through Amazon and did use my Discovercard for both. I am still wondering how they find out about the amount of cash back dollars someone might have. In my case they could have guessed at $45, but in your case they had to know to be so brazen as to spend $2,500 of your cash back dollars...that is a lot!

If it is an insider at a company what good does it do to keep changing the password if they have access to your account information to process orders? I swear I think some of that is to make you think YOU took action and therefore you are more secure.

Thanks for sharing your experience and your thought process with me.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks to everyone who responded, I really appreciate it!