and in the nest her three eggs rest,
and in each egg, Hush, you'll be heard!
There lies asleep A tiny bird.
Written by H.N. Bialik

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: February's Bird Nest - Valentine's Edition

Welcome Birding Friends and Visitors to another edition of the Bird's Nest. Although I posted a bird for the weekend yesterday, I wanted to start the month with a featured bird.

The bird for today is often confused with an owl, but is actually related more closely to a nightjar.

I give you - the Frogmouth

I just had to feature the profile of this bird

Honored Contributor

Hi Birding Friends, We are getting ready to go see ""American Sniper" in a few minutes, but I wanted to post the photo below after I saw the Frogmouth photos that Birdmama posted for the today. I found it a couple days back onPinterest and put it on one of my boards. Hard to tell its a bird. I had heard of them, but never saw one looking like this. It was like a pile of feathers with eyes similar to an owl. Weird.

Thanks, Birdmama, for our new February roost. Hard to believe one month of the year is already history.

Catch you all later. Have a lovely Sunday. Sunny and in the low 70ies here. Maybe snow at home.

Not to be confused with owls, the frogmouth is a nocturnal bird native to Southeast Asia and Australia.

Honored Contributor

mousiegirl02/01/2015 at 5:17 PM16683 PostsRegistered 10/20/2007

Hi everyone! Gorgeous weather yesterday, so went into the garden and hacked away. I am attacking the perennials in another bed this year, digging up and dividing, so this area will be bare looking for another year or so. I plan to plant own root roses in the Fall, when hopefully, there will be rain coming along in the Winter, we will see if this transpires.

Today, we began in the rec room, trying to empty it so that we can paint, or at least prime. We spent hours, and finally told DH it was time to quit and go into the yard. I found a vacuum attachment that has been missing for a long time, so that was great.

DH began whacking down the enormous white poppy plants that I foolishly planted in this area, I was told they would take over, and they have. He will have to round up the clumps, no other way to get rid pf them, we have tried. The soil in the bed then needs to be replenished before I can plant. I had the best soil during the years that I had rabbits, a compost box, and a mulching machine. DH would run everything through that machine which made fluffy mulch, then I would add the rabbit droppings to the mulch once it was in the bed. Now, we have neither so will buy chicken manure or whatever is least expensive, and use what mulch comes naturally here, and add when necessary with bagged compost, never as good as "home made." We have four garbage cans full of branches to put out for recycling, which is mandatory around here, everything possible must be recycled.

The biggest project is the area where all of the bedrock from the deck area during the remodeling was dumped, digging it and adding compost, as this will be a large Hydrangea bed. I want DH to install a soaker hose as a sprinkler emits too much water for this area. Since we are still in a drought, I will have to water sparingly.

DH is now watching the super bowl, and I will soon be char grilling cheese burgers and making home made french fries, the French way, the best way. DH has a bun, but I like mine without and on the plate to eat some meat, onion, and fries in each bite, and Merlot for me.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I will begin taking down Christmas decor this week in the living and dining rooms, so that ought to keep me busy.

I hope everyone has an enjoyable week.

Honored Contributor

mousiegirl02/01/2015 at 5:22 PM16684 PostsRegistered 10/20/2007

Winifred - I think it is just fine to not cook every night. Nothing makes a kid want to learn to cook more than being told they are on their own for dinner. Once, DD made a negative comment about what I put in front of her, so I removed it and told her to eat cereal. I believe that only happened once, but she learned a lesson she didn't forget, lol. She did make negative comments afterward, but when I reminded her of the alternative, she was quiet and ate. she always tells me what she doesn't like, usually vegetables, and I tell her now that as long as she eats it, she doesn't have to like it. We all have got to eat veges whether we like them or not, for goodness sake.

Honored Contributor

Mousie - My part of MI got anywhere from 11 to 16 inches of snow last night. We had some wind, so of course the snow drifted here and there. I left a message for my team lead last night advising that I would not be in today.

I usually shovel the patio, however there were drifts of at least two feet waiting for me this morning at 6 am. A junco sat on a snow pile like, hey, lady where is the food? Then one of my chubby squirrels jumped off of the pine tree and dove into the snow to dig for food. I tapped the kitchen window, bundled up and went out through the garage door.

I told the birds and squirrels - back up, I gotta use the Ariens (snow blower).

The birds took off like a dirty shirt and the squirrels supervised from branches on the tree.

All was right with the world once I scattered the seed and peanuts. I felt so bad for the birds yesterday because it was bitter cold and there were so hungry. I'd shovel, put out food, snow would cover it so I'd shovel again, put out more food and so on.

The sun is shining and it's gorgeous outside. I did my driveway and walks then helped the neighbors that were out trying to shovel. Even with a good shoulder, I don't think I could have shoveled. It was nice to see other people in the block with snow blowers doing the same - helping those with just shovels. Kind of restores faith in mankind.

Honored Contributor

The bird of the day is the Pink Footed Shearwater

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

On 2/2/2015 Bird mama said:

Mousie - My part of MI got anywhere from 11 to 16 inches of snow last night. We had some wind, so of course the snow drifted here and there. I left a message for my team lead last night advising that I would not be in today.

I usually shovel the patio, however there were drifts of at least two feet waiting for me this morning at 6 am. A junco sat on a snow pile like, hey, lady where is the food? Then one of my chubby squirrels jumped off of the pine tree and dove into the snow to dig for food. I tapped the kitchen window, bundled up and went out through the garage door.

I told the birds and squirrels - back up, I gotta use the Ariens (snow blower).

The birds took off like a dirty shirt and the squirrels supervised from branches on the tree.

All was right with the world once I scattered the seed and peanuts. I felt so bad for the birds yesterday because it was bitter cold and there were so hungry. I'd shovel, put out food, snow would cover it so I'd shovel again, put out more food and so on.

The sun is shining and it's gorgeous outside. I did my driveway and walks then helped the neighbors that were out trying to shovel. Even with a good shoulder, I don't think I could have shoveled. It was nice to see other people in the block with snow blowers doing the same - helping those with just shovels. Kind of restores faith in mankind.

I love snow Bird mama, but living in it would be another issue I am told, and from your description, I guess I am better off just visiting snow, although if I had it, I would do the same as you, help critters. It is somewhat overcast today, but the sun may yet come out.

Lately, with the warmer weather, I am hearing more birds in the garden, and the hummers are enjoying the Salvias that bloom at this time. One huge plant is bent over the path, but I told DH not to cut it back because the flowers are on the tops of the branches, and I want the hummers to be able to dine for months to come.

Respected Contributor

Yesterday we got up to 75 - perhaps a little bit more. I do know, however, it was a very warm day, I actually had to turn the AC on in my car. Course about 3:30 or 4, you could literally feel it getting quite chilly - again. More of the same today. Really enjoyed the warmer weather yesterday.

My yard is a distrace - need to call the mower as he did NOT show up last week and he said he would be here then. Could be because it did rain and thing would be a little wet but sure wish he would let me know. I think he is the nicest young man but figure since he is now out of school he is staying very busy - which is great - but hope he doesn't start putting me to one side. Time will tell. Had tried to get a lot of those horrible broad leaf weeds out but they are popping up everywhere. Do not like to mow them as that does not get rid of them. May try and get some help out there today - we shall see.

Hope all have a great day!!! Stay warm - was so sorry to see/read about the nasty weather back East again. Enough is enough!!!