Respected Contributor

Valentine Day Fun at the Back Fence

Oh my goodness, is it February already? January flew by. I need to get my act together a lot better as time is moving way too fast for this old lady and I am not getting things done as I should. LOL.

I remember rationing also and somewhere in all the tons of stuff still here from my parents there are two ration "books" from WWII. I really need to try and finish sorting all this stuff. I find it amazing however as I have asked so many family members about some of this stuff and no one seems to want anything. Have heard from others that today most people are not interested in most anything from the past - I find it very difficult to toss things out - would much prefer to give them to people who would appreciate some of that things that remain here from my parents and grandparents era.

Today is the big day - we can all sit out here and eat and yell and watch the Super Bowl. Have portable heaters, coffee pot going, chips, dips, potato salad, hot dogs and burgers. Come on and join in. For those of you in a warm climate, also have some fans for your corner of the yard. LOL.

Have a great day everyone and please stop by and visit.

Honored Contributor

Re: Valentine Day Fun at the Back Fence

Hi Freddie, thanks for shoring up the fence for another month. I agree with you - it's becoming more difficult to 'hand down' things that we find significant. When my mother passed away, it was understood that I would receive all of her photo albums. She felt that I would know what to do with them. I gave some pictures to my middle sister, I took a couple of pictures for myself and then gave my eldest sister the photos. She, being older, knew who some of the people were and ended up sending many of my cousins pictures of their parents when they were young. Because many of my aunts/uncles are deceased, their children really appreciated receiving the pictures.

I have no children, so I am acutely aware that I need to keep the clutter down.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Valentine's Day is the saddest day and also the happiest day each year for me.My grandfather,my grandmother, and my mother all died 13 years apart on Valentine's Day. Valentine's Day, February 14th 2002 was the happiest day of my life as that was the day my wife and I were married.
hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

John, you've certainly had more than your share of sad events occur on Valentines Day. I'm glad that your wedding day helped to balance it out a little bit. My eldest niece was born on Valentine's Day.

Trusted Contributor

Good to see you john. Joey was here also love to see those familiar names. Sorry for your losses on Valentine's day but I bet those loved ones are rejoicing with you on your marriage to Cindy. Lots of snow in Indiana. No one is moving this morning. I think that's as much to help the plowers as anything. Everyone stripped the grocery stores this weekend so no need to go out ti later. Epi in cas you didn't see it on the old thread I loved orphan train. Hope everyone enjoyed the super bowl. We are more basket ball fans here. I think I'm getting too old for the commercials. They go too fast for my eyes and brain to work together.
Honored Contributor

Hello all - we got nailed with significant snow over the past 24 hours, which is why I am sitting in my home office typing this (lol). I just came in from snow blowing my property and a couple of neighbor's property. When you have drifts easily over a foot, using a shovel is just asking for a heart attack.

I think I need a nap Smile

Trusted Contributor

No snow here in No. Va. And temps here today are nice,but a bit windy. Yock, glad you enjoyed the book. I liked it a lot. another good one was THE FUNERAL DRESS, by S. GILMORE. My goodness JOHN, how terrible for your family. But agree with all, your anniversary makes up for it. All our parents passed away between Thanksgiving and New Years.... I saw a different Dr. On Friday. The same practice,but was not happy with the one I was seeing, I saw her before Christmas and she said my chest CTScan was fine, normal. she had one done because I am an ex-smoker, fine. Last week I get a call from the office, a female working there. She said, my CT scan showed blockage in my arteries, see a cardiologist !!!! So, I decide to see one of the Drs. Who started this practice,who my husband see,and likes. He read the report, with me also looking at it. His inion was that it was what one would expect from a woman who was almost 70, and there's nothing to worry about,good news!!!! He was surmised that the Dr. Herself did not call me, even tho she was wrong!!!!! Boy, I sure miss our original Dr., who is recovering well from cancer,sure miss him and wish him well!!!! Nothing else much going on here, feeling pretty good for a change.He it lasts!!!! you all be careful shoveling snow,Birdmama... Where did Jan go to, just seemed like it was New Years!!!! Boy, the older I get the faster the time goes by.
Respected Contributor

John, it is GREAT to see you here - please come back and visit. You are a special person - I remember well when you and Cindy tied the knot.

Hate to say this to some of you BUT it got to 78 degrees here today. JUST FABULOUS!!! Nights and early mornings are still very very chilly quite frankly and my house stays cold. Great day today.

Am fixing a weird concoction for dinner - kepp your fingers crossed that it tastes good. LOL.

Hope all had a great day.

Trusted Contributor

For any of you ladies like me, who love to read. I read that HARPER LEE will have a new book out this summer. It will be about SCOUT, as a grown woman. she wrote it years ago and forgot it, her lawyer found the manuscript. I sure hope this is true. how exciting!!!!!!!
Trusted Contributor

just heard the latest on the news. the story was written before TKAM, and takes twenty years later,when SCOUT goes home to visit her dad!!!!!