Frequent Contributor

Any one from Southern Delaware ?

We are retired and are considering a move to Delaware, Sussex county. We want to escape the 6 month winter here in NH. Don't mind the seasons, and have heard Delaware gets only a little snow, but we were wondering about ice. A friend who used to live in Maryland recalls lots of icy conditions. Is this true in Delaware too? Any advice would be appreciated.
Honored Contributor

Re: Any one from Southern Delaware ?

We lived in Dover, DE for 3 yrs. while my DH was active duty AF at Dover AFB. it is about mid-way of the state. Yes, it does snow in this part of the state as well along the coastal areas! If you want to escape the cold, snow, & ice, you need to go the FL not DE! JMHO!!!

Respected Contributor

I haven't visited her yet but a good friend relocated to Lewes, Delaware about 4 years ago. She loves her little house and her town and her life there but she has said many times that she wishes she had moved further south because she did not get away from winter. It's not our MA winter but she gets temps in the 30's and 40's, some snow and there have been ice storms. On the other hand, spring comes early and summer lasts much longer.

Valued Contributor

The southern part of Delaware has approximately the same weather as the cape of NJ. We can have very mild winters and sometimes we have a bit of snow. But, nothing compared to NH. I haven't scene an ice storm in many many years. The weather is much more manageable than in New England. If you want to avoid snow I would move to North or South Carolina. They have pretty nice weather.

Valued Contributor

On 1/30/2015 Chrystaltree said:

I haven't visited her yet but a good friend relocated to Lewes, Delaware about 4 years ago. She loves her little house and her town and her life there but she has said many times that she wishes she had moved further south because she did not get away from winter. It's not our MA winter but she gets temps in the 30's and 40's, some snow and there have been ice storms. On the other hand, spring comes early and summer lasts much longer.

Lewes Delaware is such a pretty historic town. Close to the ferry that takes you to cape may. Lots of nice shops in each area. I am surprised she has seen an ice storm as Cape may hasn't seen one for about 30 years. Of course we do get black ice on the roads once in awhile but not an ice storm.

Super Contributor

Many seniors from NJ are headed to Delaware because of the lower taxes and real estate prices, not because of weather conditions.

I lived in Dover for some time, which is north of Sussex County. The town had no snow removal equipment and so the National Guard was called in during an unusually bad storm. Nothing like New Hampshire though. You are a hardy people!

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all the replies. Think we will look at North Carolina. Looking at Wilmington and New Bern area. Hard to get hubby moving at all but recent health issues is getting him motivated.

Esteemed Contributor

Love Wilmington, NC, but visited in fall. Not sure how winter is. Heard New Bern was nice. Is Savannah too far south for you? I really like St. Simons Island, GA, but it's 90 minutes north or south from 'bigger' cities. Good luck in your search - exciting times for you.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Del has totally tax free shopping, etc, cant beat that!!!!

Honored Contributor

Believe me, I lived in DE for 3 yrs (not by choice) DH was stationed there, and I'd rather pay sales tax than to every live in that state again!!!