Valued Contributor

What Would You Do and What Would You Say?

Very long story short, I have been approached by my daughter-in-law's sister asking if me and my adult daughter would want to help host a bridemaid's luncheon for my granddaughter, her niece. Here's my issu with that. Firstly, they have not included us in any other part of the wedding planning until now when they really just want and need us to contribute financially. Secondly, my husband and I are both retired and on a very fixed income. My adult daughter is a single parent who supports two daughters totally on her own on a very average income. Neither of us has a whole lot of extra money. And while I want my granddaughter to have a wonderful wedding experience, she has a lot of lofty ideas but not he finances to support them and I feel like we're being expected to make sure they all become a reality. I'm really not sure how to handle this situation and keep the peace in the family.
Honored Contributor

Re: What Would You Do and What Would You Say?

There is probably no way to keep peace. Sometimes that happens. I would say no,I can't afford it.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

On 1/26/2015 ncascade said:

There is probably no way to keep peace. Sometimes that happens. I would say no,I can't afford it.

From the get go, say no I would love to but I can't afford to.

Making some kind of nice excuse will just get you roped in

Honored Contributor

So the granddaughter is your son's daughter? If you are unable to contribute financially, maybe you can offer assistance, like help with decorating or something like that. I would think that your son and DIL are aware of your financial situation. Coming up with a wedding gift is going to be tricky enough.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Jackthebear makes a valid point.

Respected Contributor

Put the "keeping peace" issue aside. You can't afford to host a shower and neither you, nor your daughter want to host a bridal shower. That's the principal concern here. You said that you were "asked"; that means you can graciously decline. You can try to keep the peace by putting your very negative feelings about this request aside. Be nice; pleasant and explain that unfortunately, you and your daughter cannot host a bridal shower. Don't go into a lot of detail, just explain that unfortunately hosting a bridal shower doesn't fit into your budget or into your daughter's budget at this particular time. Perhaps they will be miffed, perhaps not. You can't be responsible for their feelings. For what it's worth, their wedding budget is probably stretched to the breaking point and they want you to pick up some of the slack.

Valued Contributor

Perhaps I should clarify, this is not a bridal shower which I'm also expected to help with and participate in and attend more than one shower, this is a luncheon given as "thanks" to the bridesmaids.

Also, this is in addition to the shower gifts for the multiple showers as well as wedding gift and also two high school graduation gifts and a contribution to the mission trip for the bride's two sisters. All this is within a three week period.

Don't really think I have "negative" feelings about the whole thing, just wanting to keep everyone happy without totally breaking the budget. And, no, I don't think that they are aware of how vigilant we are about our income. I'm sure they know that we don't have tons of money; however that's not something we discuss.

Honored Contributor

Patticakes - forgive me for not reading your original post thoroughly. If the shoe was my on foot (so to speak), I would have no problem declining participation in the "thank you for being my bridesmaid' lunch. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Seems like the bride would be hosting this shindig and the maid of honor would be hosting the bridal shower. You shouldn't be expected to finance these things.

If you cannot afford it, you cannot afford it. I'd politely beg off. Like somebody else said, if that makes them have hard feelings toward you, well that's on them not you and there is nothing you can do about somebody else's inappropriate feelings.

Respected Contributor

Your question "What would you say and what would you do" ? I would say " Yes--- we would love to be a part of this wonderful time. " You are talking lunch and for a small number of people (under 20?). With a little imagination and planning, you can put together something lovely and appropriate for less than $200 at your home.