Super Contributor

My son's MIL lost her parrot yesterday whom she says was her soul mate. She is devastated. The parrot was supposed to live 80 years but I think it was only 12 years. She has posted on Facebook and I want to say something but don't know what to say. I have met Duncan and if it wasn't for an unmended broken wing I'm sure he would have flown away years ago. Am I callous?

Esteemed Contributor

It's never easy to comfort anyone's loss. But a sincere and kind sharing of words would be nice on your part.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor

I have a picture of Duncan to share. I will try to say something comforting to her. Thank you.

Trusted Contributor

Awww, what a beautiful boy. My condolences on her loss.

You will find the words, newlook. . . Though there are really no "right" ones at such times. At least she will know you are thinking of her.

Honored Contributor
Parrots have a lot of personality and are intelligent, making them great companions. I can understand why someone would take the loss of one very hard. What would you say and do if she lost a beloved dog or cat? Maybe a "thinking of you" card?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I at first thought you meant that Duncan had flown away. Do you know what his cause of demise was, as he was so young. Maybe there was an infection due to the injured wing.

Honored Contributor
A very beautiful parrot.
Super Contributor
On 1/21/2015 mousiegirl said:

I at first thought you meant that Duncan had flown away. Do you know what his cause of demise was, as he was so young. Maybe there was an infection due to the injured wing.

I never heard what the bird died of. They buried it already but there was a lot of upheaval in the family. They got foreclosed on and his owner had to move in with my son and daughter in law so that the parrot lived in the basement for awhile. Then they got a new home and they moved there so it was another environment to get used to. The last time I saw Duncan was at Thanksgiving where one of the daughters brought him a plate of food that had mashed potatoes, veggies, turkey and greens on it and I was surprised because I thought parrots only ate seeds so that was my thought that it possibly shouldn't have been fed that.

Honored Contributor

I live with 3 birds, none of them are a parrot. In my limited bird experience (sparrows and pigeon), stress isn't good for birds. I'm pretty sure some of that food on the Thanksgiving dinner plate was not suitable for little Duncan.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

Especially not the turkey. RIP little Duncan.