Trusted Contributor

My beloved furbaby had a grand mal seizure at 3:00 a.m. yesterday

Most terrifying moment of my life. I've never been around an animal or human that had a seizure and I was terrified as I didn't know what was happening and all I could do was sit there and cry and try to hold him. He will be 17 years old in June and has never had a seizure before. I don't know how long it lasted, but it seemed like forever! Afterwards he was totally dazed and confused; walking in circles, bumping into everything, etc., for about an hour. I of course bundled him up and rushed him to my vet's office (which fortunately is also a vet hospital and it's open 24/7). They kept him all day yesterday to observe him and run some blood work. Blood work came back okay, but his vet said that in older patients with new seizure activity, it is likely an intracranial disease usually the result of a brain tumor, but an MRI would be required to determine that for sure. She said the seizure activity might be progressive over time, or that might have been the only seizure he will ever have. Because of his age and the cost involved in an MRI, for now we both thought it best to just watch him closely over the next few weeks/months for more seizures. Of course if he has one while I'm at work, I would not know about it if he has fully recovered by the time I got home. He rested quite well last night..........a LOT better than me. The poor thing....every time he even took a deep breath or adjusted his sleeping position, I shot bolt upright in bed and turned the light on to check on him!

Super Contributor

Re: My beloved furbaby had a grand mal seizure at 3:00 a.m. yesterday

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but I've had a dog that I got from a rescue about 6 years ago and she has a seizure about once a year. Your dog's behavior after the seizure is normal, they are extremely out of it and fatigued and usually will sleep a long time after. Mine has some sort of neurological issue probably due to abuse in the past, but she's a happy and pretty healthy dog otherwise, so my vet said it was up to me whether to put her through daily medication or just observe.

I agree that at 17, even if there was a brain tumor you wouldn't want to put your furbabe through any sort of treatment or surgery, so it does make sense to do what you're doing. If they start to come frequently, you will know whether it's time, of that I have no doubt.

Just enjoy each other, it may be that he never has another seizure or another one will be months away.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/20/2015 pistolino said:

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but I've had a dog that I got from a rescue about 6 years ago and she has a seizure about once a year. Your dog's behavior after the seizure is normal, they are extremely out of it and fatigued and usually will sleep a long time after. Mine has some sort of neurological issue probably due to abuse in the past, but she's a happy and pretty healthy dog otherwise, so my vet said it was up to me whether to put her through daily medication or just observe.

I agree that at 17, even if there was a brain tumor you wouldn't want to put your furbabe through any sort of treatment or surgery, so it does make sense to do what you're doing. If they start to come frequently, you will know whether it's time, of that I have no doubt.

Just enjoy each other, it may be that he never has another seizure or another one will be months away.

Thanks pistolino. His vet said as long as I thought he had quality of life, then there was no reason to make any kind of decision now. And I do think he has some quality of life. He is almost completely blind and deaf (due to age and cataracts), but he is eating good and does have some quality of life. The vet also said that if the seizures start to continue, we can always try anti-seizure medication.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to hear about your loved little one. It is hard isn't it? I am dealing with one going blind and not liking it.

Super Contributor

I once inherited an adult Maltese dog from people who could no longer keep her, and she was prone to seizures. She was on meds for it, and I had to give her one every day. Thankfully I never saw her have a seizure but I kept a very close watch on her, and so did my mother (who was living with me at the time) while I was at work.

Good luck with your furbaby. I agree with the previous poster, at that age I think its best to just take it one step at a time.

Honored Contributor

Wow, that had to be scary... I hope for the best for your pet.

Trusted Contributor

It makes me so depressed to think about him having a seizure while I'm at work and he is home alone. {#emotions_dlg.sad} But as his vet and I discussed, yesterday is the first seizure I know about. It is possible he has had one before, didn't injure himself during the seizure or the after effects, and has "gone back to normal" before I got home from work. But I still hate to think of him going through it all alone. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Honored Contributor

I had a little dog named "Billy" who I adored. He had seizures but I now can't say for how long. Loved the little guy dearly. If you go off to work, Do spread newspapers down when he can go through his seizure if you aren't there. No place that he can fall from of course. I know he's older, can't tell you how often Billy had these, no set anything. But I got to a point I knew when one was coming on and I'd go set on the floor with him, since I'm sure it's scared him half to death. He will be disoriented afterwards, pant heavily, may drool. Keep him in a safe place, he'll probably flail about. It just used to kill me to see him go through it. It must have been later in his life because I don't think it went on long. Hope your little one can be spared this. I don't recall our vet being able to help him out. Best wishes.

Trusted Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.sad} Sorry for your stress and fear, NiteStar. I hope there is no tumor, and the seizure was a one-time occurrence. I understand your fears about leaving him alone while you must work, tho. I have a pet cam that I can check in on through an app on my phone and tablet. Something like that might give you some peace of mind. Hugs to you and your furbaby.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/20/2015 qualitygal said:

I had a little dog named "Billy" who I adored. He had seizures but I now can't say for how long. Loved the little guy dearly. If you go off to work, Do spread newspapers down when he can go through his seizure if you aren't there. No place that he can fall from of course. I know he's older, can't tell you how often Billy had these, no set anything. But I got to a point I knew when one was coming on and I'd go set on the floor with him, since I'm sure it's scared him half to death. He will be disoriented afterwards, pant heavily, may drool. Keep him in a safe place, he'll probably flail about. It just used to kill me to see him go through it. It must have been later in his life because I don't think it went on long. Hope your little one can be spared this. I don't recall our vet being able to help him out. Best wishes.

From all the research I've done since yesterday, it appears that the animals have no memory of the seizure afterwards (which is a blessing) and most websites say they are actually unconscious during the event itself and do not feel pain during the episode. I have area rugs all over upstairs and have always had the baby gate at the top of the stairs as he was already going blind when we moved in a little over a year ago. I do not have a bed frame and my mattress sits directly on the floor (no box springs either). Plus I now have blankets and such on the floor all around the perimeter of my bed. My little guy has a big incontinence problem, but that doesn't bother me at all; I have washable rugs, etc., and he has never gone on the bed. It is associated with his advanced age.