Respected Contributor

Hi Bird Mama, just wondering if you have been watching the NE Fla or the SW Fla eagle cams, if so you know they both have 2 chicklets, I am enjoying the NE Fla eagle cam as it is so clear and close up. Did you notice the Ft St Vrain cam is new, no fog on the lense, it is nice and clear but no babies to see yet, no eggs either.

I have to share, I was checking out my list of nests, making my rounds ha! At the Savannah eagle cam a Great Horned Owl took over the nest and is sitting on 2 eggs, the cam is soo clear and close up so it will be awesome to follow these chicks when they hatch. That is landingsbirdcam.com, you must check it out, they just went live stream today, previously there was just a couple vids to see but they are up and running now and Mom is beautiful! Check her out!! Smile

Honored Contributor

SeaGal, I am sorry to intrude on your thread, but I did go to the link in Savannah and saw the Great Horned Owl. Beautiful. We have them at home in our yard and I heard them back in late Nov and early Dec booming away with their calls. I don't know where they nest in our area, North St. Louis County, MO. I am in FL now so I am grateful to you for putting the link on your post.

Last spring I watched a Barred Owl nest cam in Indiana, sponsored by Wild Birds Unlimited. It was awesome to see the owlets hatch and feather out, then fledge. There were 3 of them. We had a barred owl in the yard for a bit last spring, my brother saw her several times. Again no clue as to where and if she had a nest. Sorry again for crashing your thread, but thanks.

180 Degrees

Honored Contributor

Hi SeaGal, I have had these owls in my yard, rescued two fallen babies a week apart one year and took them to Wildlife Rescue. One turned up at my Vet's office, small world, with a broken wing and other issues, but was on the mend. Amazing the wing span of small babies, these still had down on them and were light in color.

Honored Contributor

Sea Gal, thanks for thinking of me. I haven't set up my eagle came favorites yet. Kachina says the Berry College eagle is sitting on at least one egg.

Part of me wants to follow the eagles and the other part of me doesn't know if I can deal with the potential losses like we experienced last year.

I cried alot.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

possummink, no way you crashed here, I am happy you posted and what a beautiful picture of the Great Horned, I am soo excited to follow this nest! It is a new cam this year located in Skidaway, I guess that is Savannah Ga?, I just happened across it on a nest cam list I follow. She is soo beautiful and I cant wait to see her babies (grow), I havent seen the Mr. yet. You sound like you have a lil experiance having them around you and the Barred Owl, that is very cool! I have had one here and there over the years in my yard so they must nest nearby but the sightings are few darn it.

Hi mousiegirl, oh these pictures are killin me, what a sweet baby. Can you even imagine how much fun it will be to watch these lil fellas as they grow, I am beside myself with excitement! One thing I have noticed is there seems to be alot of mishaps with owls, they dont seem to be the brightest bird as I have seen them in rescue rehab organizations alot along the years. I wonder where the saying 'wise as an owl' came from!

Bird mama, yeah yes there are 2 eggs laid at the Berry nest, first egg laid 1/6/15 second egg laid 1/9/15 so I think it will be a month approx? B3 is gonna be a big sis! I hope she is doing well, what a character she is. I know, it was a tough year last year at alot of the eagle and osprey nests so I am hoping that was just an weirded out year and there will be much success this year right! Alot of very aggressive bonking going on down at the SW Fla nest right now, there is a real bully on that nest so I am staying away for a few more days, that phase passes most of the time but in the meantime, ugh. But I am soo excited about this horned owl nest, I wanted to share with you and other bird lovers like us!

Oh and then 'How about them Seahawks' Go Hawks {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

SeaGal, I just wanted to let you know that I have been watching the Savannah Great Horned Owl mama on her nest since I found the site, thanks to your link. I have it on my other laptop, sitting next to this one(I got this one for Christmas from my DS and DDIL), so I just leave thenestcam on all day -full screen, Since I have been watching, mama owl has left the nest twice that I know of, once for 5 min, and the last time a few mins.ago, for 7 min. She is beautiful and I love to watch her when she returns to the nest as she's so careful and takes such good care to turn the eggs.. She does a lot more than the Barred Owl that I watched last year. That nest cam was inside an owl box and she didn't have to be as active or watchful as the Great Horned Owl.

I haven't seen the male yet, nor heard him, but I am hoping to. The Barred male brought food to the female and was nearby as I could hear him hooting.

Thanks again for the link. It's fun to watch such a beautiful birddoing"her" thing.

Great Horned Owl - Google Search

Respected Contributor

Hi possummink! Oh my goodness what beautiful photos, thank you so much for posting them! I would love to have them blown up and placed in my family room/man cave, even hubby would enjoy that, they are absolutely gorgeous.

I am so happy you are enjoying the nest, I keep trying to snap a good pic of her but EVERY time I have tried, her head spins away! I got lucky to see the sweet lil eggs once the other night. Strange the leave them alone at all because it is the owl that usually swoops down and takes an occasional eagle egg or chick. I wonder if she is jumping up on a branch to stretch, out of camera range or perhaps dad is there on a branch to protect. I wish we could see them both on the nest like switching out their shift! I dont know enough about owls to know whether they take turns, again like eagles do or if mom (only) bakes them. I think I will read up on them, got myself curious now!

Again possummink, I am so happy you are enjoying this nest, I cant even wait to meet the chicks but am enjoying mom so much even still, this will be awesome. I have seen a duck raise their brood in an eagles nest but never an owl. Should be soon... Smile

Respected Contributor

SeaGal did you see they lost a baby eagle down in the Fort Meyers eagles cam? It was very sad last night to watch the baby leave this world.

Respected Contributor

Bird Mama hi bird mama, probably good you are not following the SW Florida eagle nests, Ozzie and Harriet have lost one again for the second year in a row. The oldest E5 just suddenly stopped taking food on Sunday, yesterday (Monday) the same, he had food in his crop so he wasnt hungry but he couldnt seem to keep his head up for long. When I checked them yesterday afternoon s/he seemed to be doing better, held his head up and was counting the cars going by! well maybe maybe not, anyway I checked them later in the evening and he was lifeless. Gosh this is the second year in a row for this pair, another chicklet growing up an only child.

The NE Fla. and the SW Fla. nests are the only ones with chicks so far this year (because the weather is the warmest) on the entire list of eagle cams in North America and we already have a loss at 24 days old. Very sad. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Respected Contributor
On 1/21/2015 cater said:

SeaGal did you see they lost a baby eagle down in the Fort Meyers eagles cam? It was very sad last night to watch the baby leave this world.

Hi cater, I was typing to Bird mama and the cats wanted to eat so I got sidetracked, yes, I checked in about a half hour after s/h left this world, it was gut wrenching to see this happen again for O&H, second year in a row. Did you see little E6 resting his head on 5 for quite a long while? There are some good photos, one of E5 peekin over the nest on Saturday and other photos on their facebook page. I am actually surprised E6 survived E5s brutality, s/he was ruthless, I have never seen a chick be THAT brutal to his/her sib. Hopefully Momma Norfolk was waiting for him at the rainbow bridge.

I know cater, I am just sick. {#emotions_dlg.crying}