Valued Contributor

I Need Tricks and Tips from Savvy Travelers

Even though I have traveled quite a bit, I have to admit I get nervous every time I have to pack and get ready for a trip. I guess I'm not as organized I'd like to think. I'm now getting ready for a week long trip to Vegas and would really appreciate hearing from all who have mastered the art of traveling, packing, etc. The one thing I do with my clothing is try to keep all in the same color family to avoid too many shoe, bags and accessories. Other than that, I think I'm lack--especially when it comes to keeping track of flights and carry on stuff. Help...

Honored Contributor

Re: I Need Tricks and Tips from Savvy Travelers

I don't travel anymore but, for a couple of decades, I enjoyed being a world traveler.

One universal tip I have is about packing. Instead of folding the clothes, ROLL them up. Just fold something in half like you might normally do, then roll it tightly to the end. You will accomplish two things with this - More clothes will fit in the suitcase, and your clothes will not get wrinkled anywhere near as much as when folded.

Put anything important in your little carry-on but do be advised of what is allowed to take on the plane as there ARE rules.

In the suitcase, put stuff that don't want to lose or get ruined inside shoes. You can stick things inside of socks and put the socks in the shoes. But take your fine jewelry with you, if you are travelling with fine jewelry. Unfortunately, there is a big problem of thievery from suitcases that you have checked.

I'll stop before I've written a whole book! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Have fun on your trip! One thing I always do is decant all cosmetics in to smaller jars/bottles. Saves a lot of room and weight. Also, I never take jewelry and always take my cheapest watch.
Honored Contributor

I always travel with fashion jewelry and never take any valuables. I also go and put things that would break my heart to lose - like my engagement ring in our safety deposit box before we go so if the house got broken in to those items are safe and sound. I always bring a coat no matter what time of year it is - you never know. And i always take my Susan Graver black ponte knit a line dress - it covers a world of possibilities. Anything from a cocktail party to a funeral or a luncheon depending on how it s accessorized.You can't beat the LBD.

Honored Contributor

I make a list before i pack. That helps me not over pack. I try to coordinate the tops and bottoms, so they can be interchanged. I used to bring extra clothes in case I changed my mind about an outfit. When I got home, there were more things unworn in my suitcase than worn. That doesn't happen anymore.
Trusted Contributor

Take half as many clothes as you think you will need and twice as much money!

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the advice to bring half as many clothes and twice as much money. Here are some tips in no particular order: I always keep a separate bag of cosmetics that I can just pop into my suitcase. I refresh it periodically to be sure nothing is expired. I like to start laying out clothes well in advance. If it's a foreign trip I make a list. Then, day by day, I thin out the piles of clothes in the days before departure. I've never had too few things on any trip...always the opposite. Do not pack what-ifs. That means you have to do your homework about your destination and pack accordingly. The airlines are very strict about weight restrictions so you have to pack light. Besides, you want to leave some space in your bag for souvenirs. Bon voyage.
Respected Contributor

People don't dress up like they used to. Weigh your bags before leaving. Costs over 50 lbs are high.
Super Contributor

If you have not seen this video on packing before, be sure to watch it. It is a new packing technique that I used recently...works just great! Other than my carry on size luggage, I carry a zippered tote bag with my toiletries, liquids, snacks, and put my purse in there when I get on the plane since you are only allowed one carry on besides your luggage. I keep my tickets and itinerary handy in an outer pocket of my purse. Enjoy your trip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDn9l20NlWw

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor

I usually figure from start of day to end of end of day so I don't forget things I need. Start now, make a list. Little things get forgotten if not.

I also take something along to clean the bathroom or sink with, just in case. This time, I'll take the wipes and do off light switches, phone, remote control and anything else I think might have germs. Disney in Calif., they say, is responsible for measles outbreak. You figure how many people go there, no wonder. It's not their fault, just the little bodies that pass that sort of thing around. I worked with kids, I know how that one goes!!