Esteemed Contributor

Daily Positive Thread for Thursday - Just Use This One!

Hello my friends! Let's just use this thread instead of the one I tried out with the tablet this afternoon. It's not working and I don't have time to learn more as we are now leaving already on Sunday around 1Smiley TongueM instead of Monday after work, because of weather conditions. I will post on the thread, but that's about it. If anyone wants to start the threads, let me know and I'll email the material to you. If not, we'll just only post on them. Please pray for our safe trip - and pray we won't have any bad weather going over there or coming back - it's around 70 degrees in Arlington now we hear. Today I did learn quite a bit more about the tablet. Here's what I was trying to use for tonight's thread:

It is you, not where you are or what you have, that makes the difference.
Lord, may I always blossom where I am planted.

S C R I P T U R E F O R T H E D A Y

"I will look to the LORD, I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God
will hear me." ~Micah 7:7

M E D I T A T I O N F O R T H E D A Y

We can admit our own helplessness. God will hear our prayer. Our own need
can be recognized, then we can ask God for the strength to meet that need.
But once that need is recognized, our prayer is heard above all the music of
heaven. It is not theological arguments that solve the problems of the
questing soul, but the sincere cry of that soul to God for strength and the
certainty of that soul that the cry can be heard and answered.

P R A Y E R F O R T H E D A Y

I pray that I may be humble enough to realize my need and ask for help. I
pray that I may fell certain that God will hear and answer my prayer.

The Last Eight Days of Advent

During the last eight days of Advent, it is useful to reflect on the different titles given to the Lord who is to come. The titles are Old Testament titles, here conferred on Jesus, showing he is the promised Messiah.
Wisdom
St. Paul tells us that God's foolishness is wiser than human wisdom. He is saying that it is hard to imagine the Wisdom of God, who knows all things, because God has created all things. This title of God reminds us especially of the Book of Wisdom in the Old Testament - a beautiful hymn in which wisdom is personified, and is active in the world.
Adonai
A name for the Most High God, whose true name could not be uttered, and of whom it was said that no-one could gaze on the face of God and live. Adonai is the Lord of armies, who will march out to save the people in battle.
Stock of Jesse
Jesse was the father of King David, and Jesus is a descendent of David. From David comes the association of Jesus as royal, of David's line. Jesus inherits the throne of David, re-defining his role as King of the Jews.
Key of David
Jesus is not simply a ruler descended from David, but a liberator, a redeemer. This name echoes the mission of Jesus to bind and to loose, a mission Jesus passes on to his disciples.
Rising Sun
The sun is a sign of God's creation, God's endurance, and a sign of God's glory. God's glory outshines the sun, and will endure after the sun and moon have failed. Psalm 84 describes God as the sun:
"For the LORD God is a sun and shield; he bestows favor and honor. No good thing does the LORD withhold from those who walk uprightly." (Psalm 84:11 NRSV)
King
God is the king above all kings, and the prophet Samuel is reluctant to anoint a king for the Israelites as this will seem like a rejection of God's rule. Pilate asks Jesus if he is a king; Jesus answers indirectly, because his kingship does not accord with the expectations of the Romans, the Jewish authorities, or even his followers.
Emmanuel
The prophecy of Isaiah foretells a sign to be given by God: a virgin will conceive and give birth to a son whom she will call Emmanuel: a name which means God is with us. Jesus is the word made flesh, God in the midst of the people.

--A CHRISTMAS ALPHABET

A is for Angels, appearing so bright,
Telling of Jesus that first Christmas night.
B is for Bethlehem, crowded and old,
Birthplace of Jesus by prophet foretold.
C is for Cattle, their manger His bed,
There in the stable where He laid His head.
D is for David and his ancient throne
Promised forever to Jesus alone.
E is for East, where shone the bright star
Which Magi on camels followed afar.
F is for Frankincense, with myrrh and gold,
Brought by the Wise Men as Matthew has told.
G is for God, who from heaven above
Sent down to mankind the Son of His love.
H is for Herod, whose murderous scheme
Was told to Joseph in a nocturnal dream.
I is for Immanuel, "God with us,"
For Christ brought man back to the Father's house.
J is for Joseph so noble and just,
Obeying God's word with absolute trust.
K is for King. A true king He would be,
Coming in power and authority.
L is for Love that He brought down to earth
That night in the stable in lowly birth.
M is for Mary, His mother so brave,
Counting God faithful and mighty to save.
N is for Night, when the Savior was born
For nations of earth and people forlorn.
O is for Omega, meaning "the last;"
He's eternal: present, future and past.
P is for Prophets, when living on earth
Foretold His redemption and blessed birth.
Q is for Quickly, as shepherds who heard
Hastened to act on that heavenly word.
R is for Rejoice. The sorrow of sin is
Banished forever when Jesus comes in.
S is for Savior. To be this He came;
The angel of God assigned Him His name.
T is for Tidings related to all,
Telling of Him who was born in a stall.
U is for Us, to whom Jesus was given
To show us the way and take us to heaven.
V is for Virgin, foretold by the sage,
God's revelation on prophecy's page.
Matthew 1:23
W is for Wonderful, His works and His words,
The King of all Kings, the Lord of all Lords.
X is for Christ. It's X in the Greek,
Anointed, Messiah, mighty, yet meek.
Y is for Yes, called God's Yes in His Word;
God's answer to all is Jesus the Lord.
Z is for Zeal as it burned in Christ's heart.
Lord, by thy Spirit to us zeal impart.

Sent from Samsung tablet
Valued Contributor

Re: Daily Positive Thread for Thursday - Just Use This One!

Gloria: Sorry it's so trying to get your tablet to do what you want it to. While you're gone, we can just post on a thread, and with all of the nice graphics that are posted anyway, I'm sure that will be fine. Wishing you safe travels, and a wonderful Christmas with your family.

I'd like to ask for prayers for someone that I don't know, but I found out last night is having a very hard time financially this winter. His name is Brett.

I'd really appreciate it. I'm going to call our church and try to find out what help may be available through our church, and the others in our area. Thanks everyone! pinky

Trusted Contributor

Hi Pinky I will be praying for Brett.

Gloria, why do these things have to be so complicated? I will try to e mail you on Monday and let you know how I made out at the surgeon's. I hope it will get through to our tablet.

My next door neighbor's surgery was put off until 5PM on Wednesday, so we didn't hear anything yet, we will probably hear from his wife sometime today, please keep him in your prayers, thank you.

Counting my blessings and blessings to all.

Harlene(lovestopaint)

Trusted Contributor

Hi again, we just heard from our neighbor Bernie is in ICU and is doing well. He was in surgery from 5PM till 9:30 PM on Wednesday. They had to remove his prostate it is a very bloody operation, he needed 4 pints of blood. He is probably going to need Physical Therapy. Joan is going to call us later today to let us know how he is doing. Please keep him in your prayers and thank you for your prayers. I told her you were praying for him and she said thank you so much and God bless all of you.

Harlene(lovestopaint)

Esteemed Contributor

Pinky Ann - I'll pray for Brett for financial help - sure know what that's like to be in need like that. Hope he gets the help he needs. Harlene - Praying for Bernie's healing - glad it was successful and now he can heal. Let's all say a prayer for Brett and Bernie. Thanks for being so understanding about my ignorance in posting the whole thread while gone. Before we leave on Sunday I'll post Monday's thread and that will just be called Daily Positive Thread - or I could add on there for the week. That will work and I can always post but just can't paste anything on the board. It'll work out - and I need you to keep posting. The thread will stay positive with God's blessings!
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the prayers ladies! Much appreciated! pinky