Trusted Contributor
Please be careful on Facebook ~~ use common sense!!!! Don't post the restaurant you've been frequenting.......that's not using good judgement!
Trusted Contributor

Maybe I am missing something. How is that unsafe?

Trusted Contributor

I have a very basic Facebook account, and it isn't even under my real name. I don't "friend" anyone and don't post any personal information. AND, I never post photos.

However, I do a lot of sewing and needlework, and like to participate in Facebook chats that are operated by various sewing machine companies, etc. If you don't have a Facebook page, you can't participate.

I think the OP is referring to the fact that if you post about places you frequent, or post when you are on vacation, someone could use that information to burglarize your home, etc., especially since they can identify you if your picture is on your Facebook page.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Regular Contributor

Well I never post pictures of myself or any other person -- admit if I knew how I would probably post pictures of my kitties. And my facebook picture is of my poodle who died last January.

However how can you stop Other people from posting your picture"" One of the girls in our group used to do it a lot ==including some such as haloween costumes which were sort of funny -- nothing really embarassing but not necessarily wanted to be shared with strangers.

thank goodness she seems to have sort of disappeared from our groupl

Honored Contributor

Plenty of good articles, for anyone interested:

Dangers of "Checking In" on Facebook

link: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dangers+of+checking+in+on+facebook

~~~~~~

Dangers of Location Services on Facebook

link: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dangers+of+location+services+on+facebook

~~~~~~

Dangers of Geotagging

link: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dangers+of+geotagging

~~~~~~

Dangers of Facebook "Oversharing"

link: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dangers+of+Facebook+oversharing

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor
On 12/17/2014 KYToby said:

Maybe I am missing something. How is that unsafe?

I agree ........... once again, you can make FB as private or public as you want! If you don't post pictures or talk about what you did, what's the point in FB???

Honored Contributor

People definitely should be more cautious and thoughtful about what they post.

Facebook changes the privacy/security settings frequently, without notice. Also, we have to rely on our friends, and "friends of friends," and friends of those friends, and so on, to keep up with all the appropriate settings. Realistically, that's not going to happen.

Telling the world when you'll be home and when you'll be gone, displaying expensive collections, posting detailed pix of the interior and exterior of your home, etc., are so dangerous and this kind of activity has resulted in burglaries.

Using the "check in" feature, enabling location services, geotagging photos, etc., gives everyone a road map of your patterns.

There used to be a website called "Please Rob Me" (I think the administrators now have moved to another internet security site) with info about the hazards of disclosing so much information.

Insurance companies, security agencies, and law enforcement sometimes into social media posts when investigating claims, because announcing to the world that no one's home, showing them what's there (posting pix of valuables, etc.) and how to access the home -- those things are similar to leaving all the doors and windows unlocked and open, or putting your valuables out on the front lawn unattended.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

I don't reveal anything personal on FB, because the site itself was created for data mining (or so I assume).

You can still enjoy FB if you are mindful of what you post and your privacy settings.