Esteemed Contributor

Chanukah Traditions and Foods :)

Since Chanukah starts on the evening of the 16th, is everyone ready? Have you bought all your gifts? Are you cooking anything special, besides latkes of course.

We will light our menorah and put it in the window. Electric, of course. Candles just aren't safe unless you're in the room with them as they burn.

We now give money gifts for Chanukah to the next generations, as I know they appreciate it more than me picking something out that they may not enjoy. Gift cards and Chanukah gelt always words well {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

So let's talk Chanukah!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Regular Contributor

Re: Chanukah Traditions and Foods :)

When My son was a young boy, I always felt that I was competing with his other family, since they always had a large family Christmas. I would run to the store to find eight presents for him, one for each night of Chanukah. Of course, I would make latkes and have some chocolate gelt in a dreidel for him. I think both sides lost. He is totally unreligious now.
Valued Contributor

When I was a kid, we didn't do much for Hanukkah. We would light the menorah and get gelt. That was about it. After my children were born, DH and I decided to make it more of a holiday. We put up cheesy Hanukkah decorations, made latkes, had a small family party with gifts, the whole Megillah. It was fun, and I miss those days. This year my daughter and s-i-l will come over for latkes and maybe sufganiyot. I bought some gifts and will give them a check. It will be nice.
Respected Contributor

My father was a Rabbi, so it was a much anticipated holiday. We would make menorahs out of clay at school.The big fancy one was never used. My mother would always have angst about the wax on the black marble hearth. Daddy would have little gifts in his pockets for each night. Crayons, jacks, pick up sticks, gelt etc. It was really never about the gifts,more about the story and the songs. We loved Mommy's special latkes.

I tried to keep it the same for my kids, simple and fun.

Super Contributor

When my kids were little, my mom would throw the best Chanukah parties--my husband always said she put the "Ch" in Chanukah!--everyone was invited--not just family, but my dear friends, whose parents were no longer with us, and their kids. Each child had a turn to light a candle on the menorah and my mom took great joy in making sure every child got a present. Her latkes, not from scratch but purchased by the bag from Pathmark, weren't round, they were triangular. When my two youngest kids were in nursery school, they cried when the teacher made latkes for the class at Chanukah. When she asked them why they were upset, they sobbed, "Those aren't latkes! Latkes are shaped like triangles!"

Respected Contributor

Loopy, that is the cutest story. Love how kids perceive things.

Honored Contributor

Dreidel spinning!

Trusted Contributor

I am not Jewish, but my DH is. No one particularly likes latkes in my family (including my husband), so if anyone has any suggestions or a recipe or other foods I could try, I would appreciate it! DH is no help! (Love him anyway{#emotions_dlg.wub})

We light the menorah. It is on the granite countertop in the kitchen, on a piece of cardboard covered with aluminum foil. We do use candles still, but since it is in the hub of the house where everyone is, there is always someone to keep an eye on it. Although they are teens, my kids still get into the dreidl and gelt.

Respected Contributor

Hi Vamp.

In Isreal and some communties it is anything fried in oil. Lots of families do donuts. I have never tried to make them. How about potato chips or some other lovely greasy food.

One thing I forgot about is that we alway would pick a candle to bet on. The one whose candle burned the longest would win. No prize just the fun of it.

Honored Contributor

Hi everyone,

I am not Jewish and did not grow up observing Chanukah. Two dear friends of mine are Jewish, and I have been privileged to be apart of their celebrations.

I have helped make honey cookies, latkes and donuts.

My son and I learned how to play the dreidel game. The winner won gelt.

When my son was about 3 1/2, he decided he wanted a menorah in our home. He gathered 9 single candles, I had in the windows around the house, and put them all in his window. Every night, he turned one more on.....just like our friends' houses were doing.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.