Respected Contributor
I want to thank you all for posting this back in 2011. Had a death in family and I made the arrangements. I searched here and googled so I was informed.Smiley Happy. Also to note, choosing a family owned funeral home VS corporate owned is also less expensive. But wanted to let you all know, it's worth reading these and being prepared.

Husband and I separated years ago and he died Sunday. While I am still legally his wife, I made all the arrangements. I'm not upset so it's easiest for me to do. My daughter is heart broken, so I do it with love for her and his family. Now I need to dispose of his property, home was trashed...he was a hoarder..awful.

Honored Contributor

Sharon, I don't have any advice regarding the house but I did want to say that I am sorry for your daughter's loss especially.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

Your daughter has a wonderful mother. The task you've taken on is such an amazing example of unconditional love. Thank you for sharing.

Honored Contributor

Bless your heart. I know it's hard to see your child in pain. Sending prayers your way.

Trusted Contributor

Bless you for doing this, and I know your daughter will appreciate your care and help. I've actually known several women who have done similar things for men they had been married to and had either divorced or separated. One of my friends and her husband divorced many years ago. My friend said they were great friends but terrible marriage partners. He remarried, but my friend and he (and their son and his new wife) remained cordial friends over the years. When he was in the last stages of cancer, my friend stayed with him and his new wife in their home and helped to take care of him till his death.

All divorces aren't bitter and destructive.

Trusted Contributor

You are a good person. God Bless

Jessa
Respected Contributor
Oh....I'm overwhelmed. Thank you so very much.Smiley Happy. You are so kind. Let me say he was a very proud Vietnam Nam Vet. He made his wishes known to his brother, that he wanted to be in a National Cemetery and we did that. It was one of the most powerful, emotional moments in my life. Taps, gun salute, Army personnel to present the flag to my daughter.... If this is someone's wishes and a National Cemetery is within driving distance, please do so. The VA pays for the plot, burial and headstone. It was so moving....... Bless you all for your kindness. Hugs!
Esteemed Contributor

Mustangshar, thank you for doing this. You are a good person. I have lost too many family members recently and I know it can be difficult. Your daughter will cherish you even more for what you have done. LM

Respected Contributor
LM, thank you! Hugs
Respected Contributor

Oh I so agree. My DH was USAF retired and a Viet Nam Vet. He refused to discuss his wishes with me--but I chose to bury him in a military cemetary---it was beautiful. The honor guard, the presentation of the flag. The playing of taps and the volley. Mustangchar---you stepped up for your daughter--you are a loving Mom.